PDA

View Full Version : Our inner thoughts

LovebirdsFlying
Oct 27th 2008, 05:05 AM
I've always heard the following, but I can't back them up with Scripture. Can anyone else?

If you want to make the command, "Get behind me, Satan!" or something similar, you must say it out loud. You have to speak to Satan, because while God can read our thoughts, the devil can't.

But I've also heard that the demons tremble when we pray. If we pray silently, and they can't read our thoughts, how do they know we're praying?

threebigrocks
Oct 27th 2008, 04:22 PM
It's not so much as out loud or not - it's do we pray and act through the Spirit as it is of that which is spirit that we battle against. But we are told in scripture that we must confess with our lips. That we simply speak words and mountains will crumble. If we tell satan to be gone - he must go.

Something to be said for speaking up! ;)

As far as our minds - satan uses our minds to manipulate our hearts. In order to do so He would need to know our weaknesses and get us to use them against ourselves. Always wear the amour of God. Keep your guard up.

Emanate
Oct 27th 2008, 04:51 PM
But I've also heard that the demons tremble when we pray. If we pray silently, and they can't read our thoughts, how do they know we're praying?

Possibly our time in prayer should be used to communicate with the Creator of the Universe and not satan. It is God who answers our prayers and delivers us in our time of need.

Humility23
Oct 29th 2008, 12:23 AM
I have heard those same "sayings" before and to answer the first question about whether or not to say " Get behind me satan", aloud...in Mt 4:4,7,10...where JESUS led by the SPIRIT to be tested by satan...JESUS speaks out loud to him and uses scripture

vs. 3-4 satan: ..." If you are the Son of GOD, tell these stones to become bread," JESUS answered, "It is written, Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of GOD." (I could go on but read the others for yourself)

As Christians we are to follow CHRIST example so if CHRIST rebucked the devil out loud and used scripture then so should we.

About the second question the word speaks of what one looks like when the pray... Mt 26:39 (praying with the face to the ground) and Mk 1:35 (going to a solitary place to pray)...and know that the devil know the word of GOD so when you pray trust that the devil and his legions (demons) know...they know JESUS (read Mt 8:31).

markdrums
Oct 29th 2008, 01:56 AM
Possibly our time in prayer should be used to communicate with the Creator of the Universe and not satan. It is God who answers our prayers and delivers us in our time of need.

Emanate is SOOOOO on track here!
It's not OUR job or place to do so. Nowhere in scripture do we find the apostles or disciples themselves addressing demons, or Satan.
James 4:7 tells us: if we resist him, he will flee from us; It doesn't say we should command him to leave us alone....

Read Eph. Chapter 6 for the answers on "Spiritual Warfare". I think this will clarify things nicely for you!!

;)

σяєяυииєя
Oct 29th 2008, 02:28 AM
Hello Flying,

There are a couple of verses portraying when Jesus rebuked Lucifer:

And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.

And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.

And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment. Zechariah 3:1-4.

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. Jude 9

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. James 2:19

Go well

crossnote
Oct 29th 2008, 07:27 AM
As a side note on 'speaking out loud', what about a mute christian? Is he at a disadvantage because he can't rebuke or even pray out loud? I would say not.

Elouise
Oct 29th 2008, 10:25 AM
I think that whilst a malefic entity [deamon] cannot hear our silent prayers they will be aware that we are communing with God.

Semi-tortured
Oct 29th 2008, 03:29 PM
Where is the proof that a demon can/can't hear our silent thoughts or prayers? Is that Biblical or is that an assumption?

σяєяυииєя
Oct 29th 2008, 09:44 PM
It is written:

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. 1 Sammuel 16:7

Seeing God and the Word (Jesus) are not created and they look on the heart but man (lets say his thoughts, etc) but man look on the outward appearance, so fallen angels are creatures and cannot therefore look on the heart.

Correct me if wrong

Go well fellows

titleist
Oct 29th 2008, 09:53 PM
The Bible does say :
"whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Mt 16: 19).

So this tends to lead me to believe that (in Jesus name) we can bind a demon.

Just thought I would throw that one verse in while I continue to study it.

Great topic

Elouise
Oct 29th 2008, 10:03 PM
Supposition based on theological reasoning hence the prefix of I think.
If I get as far as a PhD or ThD then I may be in a position to argue on reasoning of proof.:D

Humility23
Oct 29th 2008, 10:41 PM
I dont believe that what is being said is that that person is praying to satan or to demons she is asking...how do they know that we (Christians ) are praying...i think that you might be confused as to what is being said.

Dani H
Oct 30th 2008, 01:52 AM
I hardly ever talk to the enemy out loud. I'm up against him often in prayer, but it always happens with my spirit. And, I can always sense it when his grip on something breaks.

You can proclaim the purity of God's Word and kick the enemy to the curb, simple as that. You don't have to give him a lecture, because he doesn't listen to those anyway. I would go so far as to say that God will be more than happy to rebuke the enemy for us as we obey Him and walk with Him daily and fellowship with Him, heart to heart and delight ourselves in Him and resist temptation instead of giving into it. :)

I also don't think that "binding the strongman" has anything to do with words, but that it naturally happens as we obey God and go about our Father's business. Because we're not only to bind him, but also to go in and plunder his possessions. Who are his captives? People. We bind him by proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom and by un-blinding (sorry, made up word) the minds of people, thereby releasing them from his grasp, whether that be in prayer to the Father or by telling someone about Jesus or by teaching the truth of God's word, or by taking care of someone in need and demonstrating God's love to them. We bind him by loving God above all, by daily obedience to Him, and by loving our neighbor as ourselves, because those acts render the enemy powerless and force him to let go. What happens when something is bound? It can't move, that's what happens. It just sits there and looks stupid as someone walks right on in and takes everything it thought it owned. So it is with the enemy and his works. :)

We aren't going to be heard because of our many words, neither by God, nor by the enemy. Jesus was always short and to the point when he dealt with the enemy. He drove demons away with "a word." It all has to do with authority and legal right. The enemy has to flee when we stand there clothed in Jesus and abide in Him, because that is the only authority he obeys. In Jesus' name is a position, not a verbal statement. :)

Emanate
Oct 30th 2008, 08:47 PM
The Bible does say :
"whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Mt 16: 19).

So this tends to lead me to believe that (in Jesus name) we can bind a demon.

Just thought I would throw that one verse in while I continue to study it.

Great topic

Where is a demon mentioned in this passage? This verse has absolutely nothing to do with demons or spiritual warfare. Modern interpretation is a good example of how far removed we can become when we peel Scripture out of its cultural context.
Binding and loosing is a rabbinic principle of deciding how to apply doctrinal matters. When Peter said 'God has shown me not to call any man unclean" who was using this principle of binding a doctrinal issue that Gentiles are partakers of the covenants of faith. True binding and loosing in action.

Lamplighter
Oct 30th 2008, 08:59 PM
Where is a demon mentioned in this passage? This verse has absolutely nothing to do with demons or spiritual warfare. Modern interpretation is a good example of how far removed we can become when we peel Scripture out of its cultural context.
Binding and loosing is a rabbinic principle of deciding how to apply doctrinal matters. When Peter said 'God has shown me not to call any man unclean" who was using this principle of binding a doctrinal issue that Gentiles are partakers of the covenants of faith. True binding and loosing in action.

You sir, are correct.

However, using this passage of scripture to describe binding demons is very sensational, and it appeals to many Christians who are caught up in sensationalism involving the spiritual gifts.

Sensationalism is very popular right now in the Church, even though it's not Biblical.

Dani H
Oct 30th 2008, 10:48 PM

Thank you. This makes sense. How do explain, in light of that, satan being bound in Revelation and the binding of the strongman?

crossnote
Oct 31st 2008, 06:22 AM
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
(1Co 2:11)

I believe this also includes finite beings e.g. demons.

Emanate
Nov 3rd 2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you. This makes sense. How do explain, in light of that, satan being bound in Revelation and the binding of the strongman?

being bound and the principle of binding and loosing are two different topics.