PDA

View Full Version : What is the Holy Spirit?

mikeelikesthebible
Oct 27th 2008, 05:55 AM
Please Discuss.
Please provide supporting scripture.

It is my belief that it is the Holy Spirit that is with us Today. That it who guides us in our daily walk.

Zack702
Oct 27th 2008, 06:24 AM
He is allways there. If we become aware that He is with us then the connection is stronger.
"I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."

mikeelikesthebible
Oct 27th 2008, 06:53 AM
He is allways there. If we become aware that He is with us then the connection is stronger.
"I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."

Ok, thanks. I am in agreement. I stumbled on this site, and the first thread I read was someone asking if they have to have the Holy Spirit for Salvation or something along those lines. And it seemed several different people had different understanding than me of what the HOly Spirit was.

My understanding is the Holy Spirit is the third person in the trinity, and that he is actually who is with us at this time. God and Jesus are in Heaven, but it is the Holy Spirit whom we have to help us with our walk. When we talk to God, we are actually speaking to the Holy Spirit, not to Jesus, or God, although they are all one in the same.

9Marksfan
Oct 27th 2008, 10:51 AM
Ok, thanks. I am in agreement. I stumbled on this site, and the first thread I read was someone asking if they have to have the Holy Spirit for Salvation or something along those lines. And it seemed several different people had different understanding than me of what the HOly Spirit was.

My understanding is the Holy Spirit is the third person in the trinity, and that he is actually who is with us at this time. God and Jesus are in Heaven, but it is the Holy Spirit whom we have to help us with our walk. When we talk to God, we are actually speaking to the Holy Spirit, not to Jesus, or God, although they are all one in the same.

The question should rather be "WHO is the Holy Spirit?" and you correctly identify Him as God. We are not "speaking to the Holy Spirit" when we talk to God, as if we had no connection with God the Father or the Lord Jesus Christ and were simply "talking to God in our hearts" - we are NEVER commanded to address the Holy Spirit in prayer - but rather the Father (and, arguably, the Son, although this was rare in the NT - Stephen on the verge of his death and Paul with his thorn in the flesh being the two clearest examples).

You need to remember that, while God is One, He is THREE distinct yet closely connected Persons - we come to the Father by the Son, through the Spirit. A great mystery, but important that we realise this - and in particular the ministry of the Holy Spirit, which is to focus on Christ and declare the things concerning Him to us (Jn 16:14) - and to enable us to pray effectively to the Father (Rom 8:15, 26).

Hope that helps.

militarywife
Oct 27th 2008, 12:33 PM
John 16:13-15
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

The Godhead, Three in one
Father, Spirit, Son:hug:

valleybldr
Oct 27th 2008, 01:08 PM
Literally speaking, He's "the breath of God." todd

Dani H
Oct 27th 2008, 02:58 PM
Literally speaking, He's "the breath of God." todd

John 20:22 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=20&verse=22&version=50&context=verse)
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, ôReceive the Holy Spirit."

Interesting, no? Jesus breathes the Breath of God into His disciples.

To answer the OP's post:
Yes, the Holy Spirit is a person. Yes, He is with us today, because He lives in us and reveals Jesus to us. He also convicts the world of sin. Without Him, no-one would come to Jesus, and without Him, none of us would be able to walk with God properly, if at all. He is our Comforter, our Helper, our Parakletos. He is mighty to save, and mighty to aid us.

daughter
Oct 27th 2008, 03:03 PM
The question should rather be "WHO is the Holy Spirit?" and you correctly identify Him as God. We are not "speaking to the Holy Spirit" when we talk to God, as if we had no connection with God the Father or the Lord Jesus Christ and were simply "talking to God in our hearts" - we are NEVER commanded to address the Holy Spirit in prayer - but rather the Father (and, arguably, the Son, although this was rare in the NT - Stephen on the verge of his death and Paul with his thorn in the flesh being the two clearest examples).

You need to remember that, while God is One, He is THREE distinct yet closely connected Persons - we come to the Father by the Son, through the Spirit. A great mystery, but important that we realise this - and in particular the ministry of the Holy Spirit, which is to focus on Christ and declare the things concerning Him to us (Jn 16:14) - and to enable us to pray effectively to the Father (Rom 8:15, 26).

Hope that helps.
Absolutely correct... God the Holy Spirit is not a "what", but a "who"... that is, He is a person. He's not an energy or a force, He's not an "it." He is God. In the Greek He is always referred to in the male gender, never as neutral. And He is the Paraclete, God the comforter, counsellor, and teacher.

David161099
Oct 27th 2008, 04:09 PM
Please Discuss.
Please provide supporting scripture.

It is my belief that it is the Holy Spirit that is with us Today. That it who guides us in our daily walk.

Mike, you didn't supply supporting scripture for your answer.
I'd welcome some, as this topic is interesting to me. I won't give an answer as I'm only a new Christian.