PDA

View Full Version : How to disciple?

mikeelikesthebible
Oct 27th 2008, 06:48 AM
I have someone asking me how I know the Bible, Jesus, and heaven are real? Just curious, How would you answer?

9Marksfan
Oct 27th 2008, 12:25 PM
I have someone asking me how I know the Bible, Jesus, and heaven are real? Just curious, How would you answer?

There are two answers - there is the objective one, which would take a very long time to explain to your friend regarding the reliability of the Bible and the historicity of Jesus, but maybe you should ask yourself how YOU came to know it's all real? Ultimately it's the subjective answer - the revelation of the Spirit to you personally and faith that all that Jesus said IS true, but for many folk, it's the overwhelming conviction that there is NO other worldview that makes sense of the biggest questions we all have - even other religions don't, because they're all about how we can make ourselves acceptable to God - when Christianity is how GOD accepts US on the basis of what Christ has done on our behalf.

Wiebelhaus
Oct 27th 2008, 01:13 PM
There are two answers - there is the objective one, which would take a very long time to explain to your friend regarding the reliability of the Bible and the historicity of Jesus, but maybe you should ask yourself how YOU came to know it's all real? Ultimately it's the subjective answer - the revelation of the Spirit to you personally and faith that all that Jesus said IS true, but for many folk, it's the overwhelming conviction that there is NO other worldview that makes sense of the biggest questions we all have - even other religions don't, because they're all about how we can make ourselves acceptable to God - when Christianity is how GOD accepts US on the basis of what Christ has done on our behalf.

Very fine post , mate.

Thanks.

threebigrocks
Oct 27th 2008, 01:20 PM
This is a very good question! However, the best place for this question is in the Apologetics and Evangelism forum. Moving it there for continued discussion.

mikeelikesthebible
Oct 27th 2008, 02:25 PM

THanks. I actually did both of those. I suggested that it is more logical to believe than not to, and in addition, I told him that it was revealed to me through my efforts in searching God myself. I further explained that I am not a teacher and that I do not know what I could say that would make them understand. I shared some scripture that I thought was very powerful (Isaiah 53 AND 1CO2). I guess we just need to know that God is working, and that it really is not in our control.

9Marksfan
Oct 27th 2008, 02:40 PM
THanks. I actually did both of those. I suggested that it is more logical to believe than not to, and in addition, I told him that it was revealed to me through my efforts in searching God myself. I further explained that I am not a teacher and that I do not know what I could say that would make them understand. I shared some scripture that I thought was very powerful (Isaiah 53 AND 1CO2). I guess we just need to know that God is working, and that it really is not in our control.

Excellent response and approach! The best advice I can give is to PRAY for this guy! As you know, only God can open his eyes (1 Cor 2)! :pray:

Veretax
Oct 27th 2008, 05:45 PM
Perhaps this might help:

2 Peter 1:16-21
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. 19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

In a word the best way to disciple is to read God's word, and to do so expository. If you are a new believer I recommend starting with one of the Gospels, and then work through acts. From there you have lots of options, but I typically like to get some OT foundation as well, so I'd go back and read Genesis - Judges (perhaps 1st and 2nd Sam through 1st and 2nd Chronicles too).

the best way to learn and grow is to be in God's word daily seeking things out.