PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Lets play hypothetical?

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 02:27 PM
I've got a set of hypothetical questions and was wondering how some of you would answer them. They're hypothetical, so it's very easy to say you would do this or that because "the Bible tells us to", but please try to answer honestly (I know how easy it is to pull out 2 Corinthians 6:14 and Luke 14:26-27):

1. Would you enter into a relationship with a non-Christian
2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)?
3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 02:49 PM
I've got a set of hypothetical questions and was wondering how some of you would answer them. They're hypothetical, so it's very easy to say you would do this or that because "the Bible tells us to", but please try to answer honestly (I know how easy it is to pull out 2 Corinthians 6:14 and Luke 14:26-27):

2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)?
3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord

1. Yes, though it would depend on factors other than their faith or lack thereof (personality, interests, etc.)

2. Yes. See #1. Especially if they were in "seeking" mode, having rejected what they were raised with and in search of something that is their own.

3. Define "rejecting." I'd gladly stay with them if they were doubting, which seems to only lead to rejection when no one steps in to help.

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 02:51 PM
1. Yes, though it would depend on factors other than their faith or lack thereof (personality, interests, etc.)

2. Yes. See #1. Especially if they were in "seeking" mode, having rejected what they were raised with and in search of something that is their own.

3. Define "rejecting." I'd gladly stay with them if they were doubting, which seems to only lead to rejection when no one steps in to help.

Rejecting... Meaning they reject God then come to a point where they deny Him.

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 03:19 PM
Rejecting... Meaning they reject God then come to a point where they deny Him.

I think it would depend on WHY she (I'm dating a female in this hypothetical example) was rejecting Christianity.
It would also depend on the overall state of the relationship at the time.

If her rejection is based on circumstances, I'd feel able to help her get past her circumstances.
If it is based on the words, actions, or attitudes of "christians," I'd point out that each of us have personal problems that God helps us through, and give examples from my life.

If the relationship is going downhill fast BEFORE this comes up, then I'd probably end the relationship and try to help her as a friend instead.

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 03:54 PM

I think it would depend on WHY she (I'm dating a female in this hypothetical example) was rejecting Christianity.
It would also depend on the overall state of the relationship at the time.

If her rejection is based on circumstances, I'd feel able to help her get past her circumstances.
If it is based on the words, actions, or attitudes of "christians," I'd point out that each of us have personal problems that God helps us through, and give examples from my life.

If the relationship is going downhill fast BEFORE this comes up, then I'd probably end the relationship and try to help her as a friend instead.

Can I ask you a question then; why would you (depending on factors) enter into a relationship with a non-Christian, but potentially end a relationship with a Christian who is "back sliding" to the point where they may deny God?

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 04:04 PM
Can I ask you a question then; why would you (depending on factors) enter into a relationship with a non-Christian, but potentially end a relationship with a Christian who is "back sliding" to the point where they may deny God?

Neither entering nor leaving the relationship is directly connected to her faith, neither problems with nor lack thereof.

If we shared interests, hobbies, etc. and had no large personality clashes, I'd have no problem dating her.

Similarly, if we were fighting all the time or she kept throwing away money and acting like I was obligated to pay her debts for her, even if she was a very strong Christian I'd have no qualms about ending the relationship.

I wouldn't end the relationship if she was backsliding simply BECAUSE she was backsliding. If she was backsliding and there were no other relationship problems, I'd help her through it.

There are more reasons to begin or end relationships than just those dealing with Christianity.

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 04:44 PM
Neither entering nor leaving the relationship is directly connected to her faith, neither problems with nor lack thereof.

If we shared interests, hobbies, etc. and had no large personality clashes, I'd have no problem dating her.

Similarly, if we were fighting all the time or she kept throwing away money and acting like I was obligated to pay her debts for her, even if she was a very strong Christian I'd have no qualms about ending the relationship.

I wouldn't end the relationship if she was backsliding simply BECAUSE she was backsliding. If she was backsliding and there were no other relationship problems, I'd help her through it.

There are more reasons to begin or end relationships than just those dealing with Christianity.

Would I then be right in saying that belief about God is important, but it is only a factor in a set of factors - it is not the defining factor? Christian, non-Christian, you'd consider a relationship with any girl assuming you shared interests, hobbies, etc? Am I right in saying that?

σяєяυииєя
Oct 27th 2008, 04:47 PM
Hypothetical, Lets see...

1. No unless would be Hosea:

Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine. Hosea 3:1.

2. No, only in case God would show otherwise, seeing re:#1 this one is not that far.

3. Probably bearing in mind ...they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 1 Peter 3:1 but applied to the husband, viceversa.

Go well

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 04:56 PM
Would I then be right in saying that belief about God is important, but it is only a factor in a set of factors - it is not the defining factor? Christian, non-Christian, you'd consider a relationship with any girl assuming you shared interests, hobbies, etc? Am I right in saying that?

Yep! :D
Assuming I'm not looking for a wife.

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 05:07 PM
Yep! :D
Assuming I'm not looking for a wife.

Alright; so you'll date anyone. But when looking for a wife... Must be Christian?

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 05:09 PM
Hypothetical, Lets see...

1. No unless would be Hosea:

Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine. Hosea 3:1.

2. No, only in case God would show otherwise, seeing re:#1 this one is not that far.

3. Probably bearing in mind ...they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 1 Peter 3:1 but applied to the husband, viceversa.

Go well

You believe then, on account of Hosea, that it's possible for God to call a Christian into a relationship with a non-Christian as an example, or as a means for that non-Christian to, upon seeing the lived out (not just words) witness of the Christian, come to God?

If I'm understanding you correctly, do you feel this conflicts with 2 Corinthians 6:14; and do you feel 2 Corinthians 6:14 to be an absolute prohibition, or merely a warning against [becoming unequally yolked]?

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 05:45 PM
Alright; so you'll date anyone. But when looking for a wife... Must be Christian?

Yes. I believe that marriage needs to be God-centered, so marrying an atheist, etc, wouldn't be an option for me.

If Question 3 happened in a marriage relationship, it is my duty to get to the real source of the problem, and with God's help bring her back.

Athanasius
Oct 27th 2008, 05:54 PM
Yes. I believe that marriage needs to be God-centered, so marrying an atheist, etc, wouldn't be an option for me.

If Question 3 happened in a marriage relationship, it is my duty to get to the real source of the problem, and with God's help bring her back.

How do you view dating? And if [3] were to happen outside of marriage (though was part of a relationship where marriage was the goal), then what?

σяєяυииєя
Oct 27th 2008, 06:25 PM
If One would allow the feelings to rule over the reason, then that one would also seek and excuse in order to satisfy the feellings.

...they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

For example:

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. 1 Corinthians 7:9.

In this matter my perspective would be: I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. 1 Corinthians 7:8

But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 1 Corinthians 7:8,12-15

Fareyewell

Buzzword
Oct 27th 2008, 06:27 PM
How do you view dating? And if [3] were to happen outside of marriage (though was part of a relationship where marriage was the goal), then what?

I see dating as more lighthearted, generally, with both people in it more to have fun and get to know each other, than to pursue matrimony.

While dating CAN lead to deeper commitment, I don't think anyone is OBLIGATED to only date with finding a spouse in mind.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 27th 2008, 07:36 PM
Dating, not to find a spouse?

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22.

Fareyewell

*Hope*
Oct 27th 2008, 09:15 PM

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope

ilovemetal
Oct 27th 2008, 11:43 PM
1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope

heh. same.

i don't even ask out girls. just waitin....

(a christian IS the defining factor (for me). and number 3 maybe, if i could talk sence into them, otherwise, still a nope.)

jh099
Oct 28th 2008, 12:39 AM
1. No. (insert giant laundry list of reasons why relationships with nonbelievers don't work right)

2. Doubtful.

3. No.

the inside out
Oct 28th 2008, 01:09 AM

If you had asked me this in high school, I would have answered yes to all of the questions. But I'm 21 and I'm not in a mood for wasting time. Right now, I really don't see the point in getting involved with anyone if doesn't look like it's going to last. I'm too old for playing games.

1.) No. I don't see why a non-Christian would want to date a Christian in the first place. My walk with God is my biggest struggle and I need someone who loves Jesus more than me. If he's not a Christian, then chances are we don't have the same values. If we don't have the same values, then I'm not wasting my time. I don't do birth control, sex before marriage, or the Yankees. The person I date has to respect that.

2.) HECK NO! That's a red flag for commitment issues! If they can't commit to God, then they can't commit to me.

3.) Nope. No man will drag me down and out of my relationship with God. Heck no. I've learned this past year to let people go when they start to become an unhealthy hazard.

Ekeak
Oct 28th 2008, 01:11 AM
no
yes
no

But I dont wanna get married...

Chimon
Oct 28th 2008, 01:15 AM
1. Would you enter into a relationship with a non-Christian: No, nonchristian girls are not really attractive to me.
2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)? Probably not. That's also not terribly attractive.
3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord? This I can answer for sure, because my girlfriend started to drift away from God, and I broke up with her. So no, I wouldn't stay in the relationship.

Buzzword
Oct 28th 2008, 03:20 AM
1. Would you enter into a relationship with a non-Christian: No, nonchristian girls are not really attractive to me.
2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)? Probably not. That's also not terribly attractive.
3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord? This I can answer for sure, because my girlfriend started to drift away from God, and I broke up with her. So no, I wouldn't stay in the relationship.

My girlfriend wants to know if you can tell from a distance if a girl is not a Christian, and if not then how there is any logic behind your first and second responses.

Athanasius
Oct 28th 2008, 03:35 AM
My girlfriend wants to know if you can tell from a distance if a girl is not a Christian, and if not then how there is any logic behind your first and second responses.

His responses make sense when you don't take them to extremes.

Revinius
Oct 28th 2008, 04:21 AM
1. No
2. No
3. If i was married yes, if i wasnt then i would support them but i wouldnt marry them unless they were strong in their walk.

Revinius
Oct 28th 2008, 04:24 AM

I can tell. I dont know why but i can. Can't with guys but with girls i can. Wierd i know. :S

ilovemetal
Oct 28th 2008, 04:35 AM

ever been downtown on a friday night....it's not hard.

Buzzword
Oct 28th 2008, 04:44 AM
ever been downtown on a friday night....it's not hard.

Since people on here are quoting scripture...

1 Samuel 16:7
"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Athanasius
Oct 28th 2008, 04:59 AM
Since people on here are quoting scripture...

1 Samuel 16:7
"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Come on now, don't take this out of context. Do you really think a Christian girl is going to be walking like the 'women' do downtown? No.

Chimon
Oct 28th 2008, 06:30 AM

That depends on what you mean by 'from a distance.' Let me put it this way, I am not going to date her until I have strong evidence to believe that she is a Christian. If I don't now her well enough to know that, I don't know here well enough to date her.

If she doesn't have some fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5) I'm not interested. If she doesn't have a basic understanding of Christian doctrine, I'm not interested. If I can't tell these things, I don't know here well enough to date her.

If she seems to have these things, but she is involved in some kind of habitual sin, or she denies basic Christian doctrine, I'm also not interested.

And yes, usually I can tell if a girl love the Lord or not, from very little contact. You can tell by how she talks to people, and how she talks about people. 1 John gives a whole litany of tests to see if someone is a believer.

OrangeKnight
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:02 AM
1) Yes
2) Yes*
3) Yes*

2-3* are both very similar I think, and it would have to do with her reasons, but I could see it under certain circumstances.

Athanasius
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:09 AM
1) Yes
2) Yes*
3) Yes*

2-3* are both very similar I think, and it would have to do with her reasons, but I could see it under certain circumstances.

Then next question: would you marry?

GitRDunn
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:51 AM

1. Maybe, it would depend on the situation, whether they are looking for the Lord/are curious, etc.
2. Again, maybe, but I wouldn't say no just for this because maybe I could be the one to bring them back to faith.
3. Definitely, as long as the relationship is strong otherwise. God doesn't tell us to give up on someone as soon as their faith wavers, we should stick with them to try and bring them back to faith.
*Just as a note, though, I wouldn't marry anyone if they weren't saved.

As for telling if someone is a Christian from a distance, if you're talking just from looks and with a short time watching them, then 99% of the time, no, how could you. It's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's on the inside.

Athanasius
Nov 3rd 2008, 05:14 AM
As for telling if someone is a Christian from a distance, if you're talking just from looks and with a short time watching them, then 99% of the time, no, how could you. It's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's on the inside.

Food for thought: our external appearance is a reflection of our internal state. If it's what's on the inside that matters (in regards to action, not so much physical appearance) then the outside - external - should reflect that, should it not?

abidinglife
Nov 3rd 2008, 09:16 AM
Hmm, i love hypothetical questions, cause i can give hypothetical answers...

1) Nope i doubt it, well i wouldn't classify it as dating for that matter.
2) Nope cause she isn't a Christian.
3) Hmm, that's a tough one. I think i actually would in real life. It depends how much i love the other person.

Kewl.

Revinius
Nov 3rd 2008, 11:42 AM
Unless there are three "No's" on peoples hypothetical non-marital relationship sheets then i think they really have to ask questions as to why they are dating/courting...

GitRDunn
Nov 3rd 2008, 12:36 PM
Food for thought: our external appearance is a reflection of our internal state. If it's what's on the inside that matters (in regards to action, not so much physical appearance) then the outside - external - should reflect that, should it not?
Well, I was referring more to just physical appearance, not so much the actions you observe from a distance, that's why I said with a short observation time, meaning they wouldn't have time to really observe their actions.

Athanasius
Nov 3rd 2008, 03:40 PM

Unless there are three "No's" on peoples hypothetical non-marital relationship sheets then i think they really have to ask questions as to why they are dating/courting...

Guess I should answer my own questions, then?

1. No
2. Am in one
3. If I was married to them, of course. Otherwise? Complicated question, but to be superficial - would stay as long as I could.

Revinius
Nov 4th 2008, 12:54 PM
so, do you think you need to ask certain questions as to why you have placed yourself in such a position Xel?

Athanasius
Nov 4th 2008, 02:18 PM
so, do you think you need to ask certain questions as to why you have placed yourself in such a position Xel?

Oh I question myself every day as to why I've lost my sanity and done such a thing... But I know why ;)

Revinius
Nov 4th 2008, 02:57 PM
Oh I question myself every day as to why I've lost my sanity and done such a thing... But I know why ;)

I think i do too, and i do not know if i would be able to withstand it either.

Athanasius
Nov 4th 2008, 03:00 PM
I think i do too, and i do not know if i would be able to withstand it either.

Well, just to clear up any ambiguities it's not for the purpose of 'missionary dating' but you're correct... It requires a lot of grace, and patience, and understanding. Apparently something I thought I had a lot of but don't T_T

Prayin_saint
Nov 4th 2008, 03:10 PM

Because I can't read through these answers without the questions...

1. No, I wouldn't. Personally, I'm a girl, so I see it as the guy's responsibility to be the spiritual leader in the relationship, and I can't follow a guy whose goal in life is not to follow God.

2. Depends on what 'far away from God' means in the exact context. But the answer is 'No'. I mean, we all have times where we're closer to God and further from God. (C.S. Lewis calls it the "Law of Undulation" in the Screwtape letters.) but if that is where their life has settled, then no. See reasons in question 1. None of us is perfect or always close to God...but we have to make that the goal we are striving for- to be close to and follow Him. If that's not there, then no deal.

3. This one is harder, when you really think about it. At this point you're probably in love with the person. But if they are really, truly rejecting the Lord and His Will... then, No. I mean, we'd talk about it- it wouldn't be out of the blue or anything. But I'd break it off, in the end, if it came down to it. And I'd hope they'd do the same for me. Dating is about finding someone we can be Spiritual partners with for life.

*Paul says that if you're Already married to them, stay married unless they want a divorce. However- no, I would not marry them if they were any of the above scenarios.

EDIT just to be clear... I read the first post or two and then went away for a while, then came back and responded. Then read some more and realized the full context. :) I stick by what I say, but want to add an "I'm in a relationship, too." Clause. Relationships change...*thinks about it* everything. It's like a chemical reaction- nothing is left unaltered by the presence of a relationship. And that can be good or bad, I don't know- but it just is one of those things. *shrugs* And I've gtg, but I'll be subscribed to this thread. :)

Revinius
Nov 4th 2008, 03:13 PM
Well, just to clear up any ambiguities it's not for the purpose of 'missionary dating' but you're correct... It requires a lot of grace, and patience, and understanding. Apparently something I thought I had a lot of but don't T_T

i know. ;)

Friend of Jesus
Nov 4th 2008, 03:24 PM

Okay here are my answers:

1) No, simply because I'd drive her mad and she'd drive me mad with our completely different ways of life.

2) No, but I'd pray and pray for them to seek God again. If one sheep is lost to God, he'll move mountains to bring them back, it might be I am his means of doing so. In this case friendship is the way forward.

3) Possibly, I certainly wouldn't shut them out of my life- God will have put me there for a reason and it might be to make them see sense. Considering how I live my life, she would either turn back to Christ or leave me on her own accord. Probably (unless things get stupid) I would hang on. If we were married, I'd definately stay with them.

Friend of Jesus
Nov 4th 2008, 03:37 PM
Xel and Revinius:
Since I am not on the insider joke I'm going to have to ask for the details out of sheer curiosity...

Athanasius
Nov 4th 2008, 03:39 PM
i know. ;)

Good, same page then ;)

Revinius
Nov 5th 2008, 09:08 AM
Good, same page then ;)

Agreed :P...........

Athanasius
Nov 5th 2008, 02:43 PM
Xel and Revinius:
Since I am not on the insider joke I'm going to have to ask for the details out of sheer curiosity...

Oh, it's no joke it's actually quite serious. Here's the thing about it though: you wouldn't believe me. It'd be kind of like Abraham telling everyone that God told him to kill his son, you just wouldn't buy it.

Revinius
Nov 5th 2008, 03:12 PM
Are you want to explain how deep the rabbit hole goes Xel'?

Athanasius
Nov 5th 2008, 03:16 PM
Are you want to explain how deep the rabbit hole goes Xel'?

I don't know, those can go quite deep... Can I just stay enigmatic about it? lol.

Friend of Jesus
Nov 5th 2008, 04:07 PM
Fair enough- I'm not going to argue with God.

Revinius
Nov 6th 2008, 03:26 AM
I don't know, those can go quite deep... Can I just stay enigmatic about it? lol.

Yes and we can develop myths over time about this enigmatic figure called Xel' and all his adventures in the world of starcraft. ;)

Athanasius
Nov 9th 2008, 06:15 AM
Yes and we can develop myths over time about this enigmatic figure called Xel' and all his adventures in the world of starcraft. ;)

Even if God wants you to do what I'm doing, pull a Jonah.
The whale is easier.

Cara Lott
Nov 25th 2008, 07:27 PM
1. No, because it could only lead to strife in the marriage.

2. Umm, probably not. I want a guy who will challenge me in my faith, be willing to do devotions together, discuss various doctrines, and go to church with me.

3. No, "been there, done that" -- well, to some degree. When my ex-boyfriend and I met, I thought he was fairly mature and strong in his faith. But, he kind of gave up on church attendence after his pastor was forced to leave the church he attended. Also, his view of the Christian life became less doctinally sound. So, technically, there was no rejection of God, but there was some falling away. Because of that, he was conducting the relationship in a way that wasn't fair to either of us.

Revinius
Nov 26th 2008, 05:22 AM
2. Umm, probably not. I want a guy who will challenge me in my faith, be willing to do devotions together, discuss various doctrines, and go to church with me.

Most Christian women i meet don't want to talk about faith. Doctrine runs completely over their head lol, and when i tell them i am training to be a pastor the table comes under a dead silence. I guess most women don't want the burden of a man who will never earn 6 figures.

Marc2x
Nov 26th 2008, 05:28 AM
No because we are completely different and would probably argue for hours.

depends i guess,hopefully i can try strengthening her faith a bit more?Pray to God that she changes........

No,just no

Revinius
Nov 26th 2008, 05:32 AM
i find faith to be the attractive quality in a woman, so if i was to date a luke-warm Christian it would be for the wrongs reasons (looks or something).

Marc2x
Nov 26th 2008, 05:48 AM
i find faith to be the attractive quality in a woman, so if i was to date a luke-warm Christian it would be for the wrongs reasons (looks or something).
Ah,good point.:P

Cara Lott
Nov 26th 2008, 06:02 AM
Most Christian women i meet don't want to talk about faith. Doctrine runs completely over their head lol, and when i tell them i am training to be a pastor the table comes under a dead silence. I guess most women don't want the burden of a man who will never earn 6 figures.
While debating runs in my family (from politics to religion to science), it apparently doesn't run in all families 'cuase I have the opposite problem: most Christian guys I know aren't as knowledgeable of the Scriptures as I am. Some get annoyed with me, while others think of me as an encyclopedia. And not every girl is looking for a rich husband. More money usually = bigger house. Bigger house = more housework. Not fun.

Revinius
Nov 26th 2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, i am the only keen debater in my family, mainly for truth rather than for the sake of argument though as some would have it. I think Christian men need to get their head out of porn or fruitless exploits and get them into the Word. Your knowledge should not be something they find intimidating but rather a challenge for them to personal growth. Wisdom in the Word is inexorably linked to growth in Christ-like holiness.

RedBird777
Nov 29th 2008, 05:28 AM

I already have. It was not good at ALL. It lead to things that really set me back. She also started...well...saying very offensive things. After my relationship with her, I will probably never again enter a relationship with a non-Christian girl.
This is a bit trickier. I would stay a friend until she got her senses back to her.
I would continue, but encourage her to go back to Christ.

matthew7and1
Nov 29th 2008, 06:00 AM
I have been with my husband almost 8 years now. So if we are talking before I met him, probably yes because I was less developed of a Christian at the time. But if you are talking today because for some reason I had no husband, I would say no because I understand just how important it is to have the same basic values and beliefs. It helps you raise children and also strengthens your own walk in Christ.

This is a very tough question. I would have to say that it would depend on where thier heart is. If the person is willing to go to church and be involved with Christian life but maybe just lacked personal motivation before, or maybe if they just haven't found a good church. It's a possibility. But supposing they made a outright choice to not be Christian any longer, I don't think that I would choose them as a partner.

3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord?
OK, are we talking about like, "I need to learn about what's out there" rejection or like, "I've decided to worship the devil" rejection. Also, Are you married to the person? This has so many possibile answers and contingents.... So I'll apply it to my current situation of being married to a man raised in the church. I would say that supposing he just wanted to explore what was out there, that would be OK with me. I think that there is no harm because although I was raised catholic I read about and studied many religions before finally getting to the point that I realized that Jesus is the truth. I just had to know what else was out there and none of it resounded with me. Now if my husband were doing anything occult, I would ask him to leave because we have children. If he was considering another particular religion I think I may stay with him. I can not site the references specifically in the bible that say to stay with your spouse if they are non-believers, but I know that there are saints who were married to un-believers. (see forerunners post with quotes about being unequally yoked, etc...) In addition, I think that if I did leave my husband for converting to another religion (not occult) it would take a long time because I take the role of helpmate seriously. I wouldn't give up on his soul that easily. I just couldn't.

matthew7and1
Nov 29th 2008, 06:07 AM
I see dating as more lighthearted, generally, with both people in it more to have fun and get to know each other, than to pursue matrimony.

While dating CAN lead to deeper commitment, I don't think anyone is OBLIGATED to only date with finding a spouse in mind.
No but you never know who you may fall in love with and marry as a result....

Revinius
Nov 30th 2008, 07:42 AM
No but you never know who you may fall in love with and marry as a result....

Give me one biblical purpose for courting someone if not for marriage?

Christ Warrior
Sep 22nd 2009, 03:23 PM

1. No
2. Probably Not
3. If I'm married to her, then I would try the best I can to bring her back to the Lord. Other than that situation, no.

The Mighty Sword
Sep 22nd 2009, 03:25 PM
I have a hypothetical question,

Can we give hypothetical answers? :D

Jeffinator
Sep 25th 2009, 08:08 PM
1. Depends
2. Depends
3. And Depends..

Friend of Jesus
Sep 26th 2009, 09:34 PM
1. Depends
2. Depends
3. And Depends..

You're being worryingly relative about this

Moonlit Mourning
Sep 27th 2009, 12:03 AM

Heck no! We're told not to be unequally yoked for a reason. If we really have God first in our life anything coming into it that wishes to make Him second or elliminate Him for our lives can not be allowed in that space. People can bring you down much easier than you can bring them up so for those reasons I run from that kind of thing.

As a kid that just looked backwards and not right. If you're not going to act like one you can stay outside like one.

For a some time 1Corithians 5 has been standing out at me and considering the kind of people I tend to constantly run into it's something I think I personally need to take to heart and I think it'd do a lot of good for other to keep it in mind as well (remove a lot of the corruption that is in our churches, relationships, etc.). They are willfully in sin if they are Christian and producing the fruit of someone who isn't there is great reason to question that relationship and let them go. I don't want anyone around that can hurt my witness, cause others to stumble (myself or otherwise), or people to reject my testimony because I'm behaving like a hypocrite being in such close association to one.

Yes, definitely. People can find themselves weak in faith for one reason or the other that's something different, but it comes to or is an outright rejection of the Most High they would be rejecting me as well. If no one can come to the Father except by the Son then no one can get to me outside of the Father. Save myself a whole lot of stress, drama, and trauma to just cut someone like that loose as soon as possible. Better to loose an arm than my whole body be cast into Hell with them. :)If God can graft none Israelites in as chosen ones then He can certainly replace my lost arm with a better one!

Athanasius
Sep 27th 2009, 03:18 AM

As I don't think I properly answered myself.

1. No
2. No
3. If I was married, I would have to. Otherwise if it were a dating situation the no; give up the Lord, give up the relationship.

Moonlit Mourning
Sep 29th 2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah excellent answers and way less wordy than mine.

Speaking of meant to say "No, definitely" though I hope that was a clear obvious mistake by the context of what I typed. Being on the fence or holding on to a relationship that squeezes God out has nothing good to come from it.

Hollywood8098
Oct 2nd 2009, 05:52 AM

If I were to be faced with any of these before answering 100% one way or another I would first spend time in prayer depending on the individual involved and situation before answering yes or no completely. I think that's the first step an important making decision process be it in this situation or if it were something else.

1. Yes, as a general rule for while I have many wonderful Christian friends, I also get a long very well with unbelievers as well. It's not like I go hang out with people who are drug dealers and prostitutes or anything :lol:, but I work in the entertainment industry. There are a lot of unbelievers in that. I've always had good relations in general with them and been comfortable around them. Don't worry though, I've learned a way to stay balanced in my social circles between the Christians and the unbelievers ;). I also normally have an insatiable urge to like to go and be a "do-gooder" in a variety of situations. So challenges don't scare me easily at all. :spin:

2. Yes, clearly they would have previous knowledge of things of our Lord, so it's not like the topic would be unfamiliar. Just because they're away doesn't mean they can't get back on track and perhaps I could help in that :). And if they've already accepted Jesus in the past that's a good thing and shows if they accepted once before there's always hope still in the future. Out of the three, this one sounds the easiest. Not to say any of them would be ;)

3. Yes/No, I say this because understandably we all go through rough seasons in our walk. So I'd assume if they began rejecting Jesus it would probably be out of hardship. I don't know anyone who rejects in good times. During hardship we should be there for one another and help each other. So that's where I would start. If there's a way to help him understand how rejecting God will hurt him more in the end than help him I would! But if everything I was doing was not helping, and things would only get worse, if it got to a point where it was unhealthy for me then I would have to walk away. But that would not stop me from continuing to pray for him.

brokengirl
Oct 5th 2009, 08:31 PM
For just a friendship--Yes, absolutely.
For a romantic relationship--Not anymore. I have learned my lesson.