PDA

View Full Version : 10 Commandments

iyulchik
Oct 27th 2008, 02:47 PM
Without looking at your Bible, what're the 10 commandments as you know them?

Firefighter
Oct 27th 2008, 03:14 PM
Love God and Love your neighbor as you love yourself.:D

Literalist-Luke
Oct 27th 2008, 03:34 PM
Without looking at your Bible, what're the 10 commandments as you know them?Why do you ask? I smell a set up.....

Literalist-Luke
Oct 27th 2008, 03:35 PM
Love God and Love your neighbor as you love yourself.:DOh, good answer. :thumbsup:

RJ Mac
Oct 27th 2008, 04:13 PM
Love the Lord your God with all:

Your heart - no other gods before Me. - Because I am omniscient
Your soul - no images - Because I am omnipotent
Your mind - use not My name in vain - Because I am omnipotent
Your strength - keep Sabbath holy - Because I am omnibenevolent

Love your neighbor (what we do to others)
Honor you mother and father
Do not murder
Do not commit adultery

As yourself (what we do to ourselves)
Do not steal
Do not lie
Do not covet

RJ Mac

Emanate
Oct 27th 2008, 04:27 PM
Why do you ask? I smell a set up.....

I second the motion.

RogerW
Oct 27th 2008, 06:35 PM
Without looking at your Bible, what're the 10 commandments as you know them?

Greetingd Iy,

Welcome to the community! This question has been asked at Christian conferences, "Do you believe in the ten commandents?" Answer almost unanimously was "yes"! Then the follow up question, "Can you recite the ten commandments?" Most of those questioned could recite only a few, and of those most did not remember #2, and only a small percentage of those questioned could recite them in order. Conclusion: It's kind of hard to obey His commandments when you can't remember them.

1. Thou shalt have no other god before me
2. Thou shalt make no graven image, nor bow down to them
3. Do not use the Lord's name in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath Day
5. Honor your father and mother
6. Thou shalt not murder
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
8. Thou shalt not steal
9. Thou shalt not lie
10. Thou shalt not covet

The summary of the law is this: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind and strength, and love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two hang all the law and the prophets.

Many Blessings,
RW

Chimon
Oct 27th 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure that the middle ones are in the right order, but this is what I got:

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, you shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any idols.

Do not use the name of the Lord your God in vain.

Honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

Honor your father and your mother, that it may go well with you, and you may live long in the land.

Do not committ adultery.

Do not murder.

Do not steal.

Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Do not covet anything that your neighbor owns.

Chimon
Oct 27th 2008, 08:43 PM
I think it's worth noting that the 9th commandment is not really 'do not lie' but 'do not give false testimony against your neighbor.' This may seem the same, but sometimes people in the Bible are comended for lying, such as when Rahab lies to protect the Israeli spies, or when David's wife lies to protect David from Saul. If the 9th commandment were 'do not lie' the Bible would be contradictory, but it's not. :D

tt1106
Oct 27th 2008, 09:42 PM
I like David Guznik's commentary on Taking the Lord's name in vain which reads:
We can break the third commandment through profanity (using the name of God in blasphemy and cursing), frivolity (using the name of God in a superficial, stupid way), and hypocrisy (claiming the name of God but acting in a way that disgraces Him).

Good stuff.

Partaker of Christ
Oct 28th 2008, 12:50 AM
Greetingd Iy,

Welcome to the community!

1. Thou shalt have no other god before me
2. Thou shalt make no graven image, nor bow down to them
3. Do not use the Lord's name in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath Day
5. Honor your father and mother
6. Thou shalt not murder
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
8. Thou shalt not steal
9. Thou shalt not lie
10. Thou shalt not covet

The summary of the law is this: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind and strength, and love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two hang all the law and the prophets.

Many Blessings,
RW

I agree!! :lol:

RogerW
Oct 28th 2008, 12:58 AM
I think it's worth noting that the 9th commandment is not really 'do not lie' but 'do not give false testimony against your neighbor.' This may seem the same, but sometimes people in the Bible are comended for lying, such as when Rahab lies to protect the Israeli spies, or when David's wife lies to protect David from Saul. If the 9th commandment were 'do not lie' the Bible would be contradictory, but it's not. :D

Thanks Chimon,

That's an excellent point!

Many Blessings,
RW

Esperanza32
Oct 28th 2008, 11:37 AM
Did you know that Catholics and Lutherans number the commandments differently from other Christians? It's true. I learned the 10 commandments in a Methodist church, and when (as an adult) I heard kids at a Lutheran church reciting them numbered "wrong" I about had a conniption fit. (They're not numbered in the Bible.)

Wikipedia has a decent article about it.

iyulchik
Oct 28th 2008, 01:32 PM
I was just wondering because I remember seeing the 10 commandments written outside a church one day and I was shocked that the church had them wrong. They had left out the 2nd one and had split the last one into 2. I've heard a lot about the Catholic Church recently and from what I've heard, I don't believe in the Catholic Church. But I didn't want to just take what other people said as automatic truth, so I looked up their beliefs and they'd changed the commandments, too. So I was just wondering how other people had learned them.

As I know them (not with the wording from the Bible, but it's the same idea)

1. God should be first in your life.
2. Graven images are a no-no. Don't make idols.
3. Don't take God's name in vain.
4. We have six days to work, but on the seventh day we are to celebrate Sabbath and to rest and worship.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. Don't kill.
7. Don't commit adultery.
8. Don't steal.
9. Don't lie.
10. Don't covet - don't want what belongs to other people.

Oh! Also, another question. What is "Sabbath" to you?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 28th 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't believe in the Catholic Church.Trust me - it really does exist. I've seen the parish building down the street from here. :D
Oh! Also, another question. What is "Sabbath" to you?The day during which people who are trying to conform to the Mosaic Law have to spend doing no work. Most Jews of today consider Saturday to be the Sabbath. I consider believers in Christ to be under no Sabbath requirement.

Emanate
Oct 28th 2008, 03:32 PM
I consider believers in Christ to be under no Sabbath requirement.

Certainly not a requirement. However, fully able as being a partaker of the covenants of promise. What better fulfillment of prophecy than calling Sabbath a "delight"?

Firstfruits
Oct 28th 2008, 03:51 PM
Certainly not a requirement. However, fully able as being a partaker of the covenants of promise. What better fulfillment of prophecy than calling Sabbath a "delight"?

How does what was given to Israel affect the children of God with regards to the following, knowing that none of what they did made them the Children of God?

Rom 9:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
Rom 9:4 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=4) Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=5) Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=6) Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=7) Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Firefighter
Oct 28th 2008, 03:57 PM
What better fulfillment of prophecy than calling Sabbath a "delight"?

Ummmm... Jesus Christ becoming our sabbath, Having rest (in Him) everyday, Ceasing from our labors and trusting in His, just to name a few.

Firstfruits
Oct 28th 2008, 04:05 PM
Ummmm... Jesus Christ becoming our sabbath, Having rest (in Him) everyday, Ceasing from our labors and trusting in His, just to name a few.

What is the difference between Jesus being our sabbath and the sabbath given to Natural Israel?

Firstfruits

RJ Mac
Oct 28th 2008, 04:49 PM
Gen.2:2 God rested on the 7th day from all His works.
Meaning - God stopped creating physical works.
Jn.5:17 My Father is working until now
Meaning God has never stopped working, on what?

He rested from the physical and has been busy with the spiritual.
Heb.5:10 Christians are to enter God's rest and rest from our physical works
and be busy doing the spiritual works which Jesus has called for us to do.

Mt.6:31-34 do not worry about what you will eat, drink or wear, God will
provide, you need to seek first His kingdom,
Meaning quit worrying about your job, be focused on the spiritual health
of those who work with you.

Look at the insanity in the stock market today, everybody is in panic mode,
everybody but the Christian who is enjoying the Sabbath rest of God,
putting ones faith in the fact God will supply, allowing for greater time
to do the works of God, the spiritual, not my own works, physical.

RJ

iyulchik
Oct 28th 2008, 06:06 PM
Trust me - it really does exist. I've seen the parish building down the street from here. :D

Oi. Yes. I know it exists. What I mean: I don't agree with the Catholic Church and I don't support it.

Emanate
Oct 28th 2008, 06:15 PM
How does what was given to Israel affect the children of God with regards to the following, knowing that none of what they did made them the Children of God?

Rom 9:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
Rom 9:4 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=4) Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=5) Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=6) Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=7) Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=45&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

I am not sure how this falls in the topic or to my statement.

Firefighter
Oct 28th 2008, 06:16 PM
What is the difference between Jesus being our sabbath and the sabbath given to Natural Israel?

Firstfruits

The sabbath was one day a week. Our sabbath is everyday that we are in Christ.

Emanate
Oct 28th 2008, 06:16 PM

I was referring to a prophecy regarding the weekly Sabbath. One promise does not nullify another.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 28th 2008, 06:17 PM
Oi. Yes. I know it exists. What I mean: I don't agree with the Catholic Church and I don't support it.I knew that, I was just toyin' with ya. ;)

Emanate
Oct 28th 2008, 06:21 PM

Is it logical to state that we live in Sabbath every day under Messiah if we cannot even turn one day every week away from our own pleasure?

Firstfruits
Oct 28th 2008, 07:15 PM
I am not sure how this falls in the topic or to my statement.

Originally Posted by Emanate http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1843861#post1843861)

Is what Natural Israel was given regarding the sabbath and all that is mentioned applicable to the children of God, with regards to the new Israel, knowing that from what is written it does not make them "The Children of God"?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
Oct 28th 2008, 07:17 PM

Thank you Urban Missionary,

God bless you!!

Firstfruits

iyulchik
Oct 29th 2008, 04:16 PM
Most Jews of today consider Saturday to be the Sabbath. I consider believers in Christ to be under no Sabbath requirement.

Why do you say that? Just curious.

iyulchik
Oct 29th 2008, 04:17 PM

So we're not supposed to work at all?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 29th 2008, 04:42 PM
So we're not supposed to work at all?Hey, now that sounds like the best idea I've seen in a long time! :lol: 'Scuse me while I go inform my boss......

Literalist-Luke
Oct 29th 2008, 04:48 PM
Why do you say that? Just curious.You mean the part about believers being under the Sabbath requirement?

Colossians 2:13-14 - "He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

Jesus has fulfilled the Mosaic Law on our behalf - we are no longer under its requirements.

Emanate
Oct 29th 2008, 06:09 PM
You mean the part about believers being under the Sabbath requirement?

Colossians 2:13-14 - "He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

Jesus has fulfilled the Mosaic Law on our behalf - we are no longer under its requirements.

Please tell me how the weekly Sabbath is "against us and opposed to us?"

All I can find is mentions of it being 1. a delight 2. a sign

Literalist-Luke
Oct 29th 2008, 06:12 PM
Please tell me how the weekly Sabbath is "against us and opposed to us?"

All I can find is mentions of it being 1. a delight 2. a signThe Sabbath is not against us and opposed to us. It's the requirement to keep it that is. If one wishes to keep the Sabbath for their own edification and enjoyment, then have at it. But if we don't keep it, we won't be kicked out of the Kingdom for it.

Emanate
Oct 29th 2008, 06:19 PM
The Sabbath is not against us and opposed to us. It's the requirement to keep it that is. If one wishes to keep the Sabbath for their own edification and enjoyment, then have at it. But if we don't keep it, we won't be kicked out of the Kingdom for it.

I wouldn't suggest that it does. No work in the old testament or new testament justifies us. Agreed, brother.

Firefighter
Oct 29th 2008, 06:37 PM
All I can find is mentions of it being 1. a delight 2. a sign

It was a type. It was a shadow of things to come. It was a picture of the rest that we have in Christ.

Col 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

iyulchik
Oct 29th 2008, 06:49 PM
The Sabbath is not against us and opposed to us. It's the requirement to keep it that is. If one wishes to keep the Sabbath for their own edification and enjoyment, then have at it. But if we don't keep it, we won't be kicked out of the Kingdom for it.

Actually, I believe that at the end of time, the big struggle will come down to the Sabbath. Keeping the true Sabbath vs. keeping a false one.

tt1106
Oct 29th 2008, 06:52 PM
I've heard it described as the pattern for worship. God established it in Genesis and reaffirmed it through the 10 commandments. When Jesus came it is no longer necessary, as we are always in him.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 29th 2008, 06:54 PM
Actually, I believe that at the end of time, the big struggle will come down to the Sabbath. Keeping the true Sabbath vs. keeping a false one.Can you explain?

Ethnikos
Oct 29th 2008, 07:01 PM
Can you explain?
In Revelation, one of the tree angels goes out and proclaims for the people of earth to worship the One who created it.
The fourth commandment contains what is necessary to come into compliance with the angel's message. It has in it that God is the Creator and this is how we acknowledge Him as such.

Emanate
Oct 29th 2008, 07:48 PM
It was a type. It was a shadow of things to come. It was a picture of the rest that we have in Christ.

Col 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

I apologize, I was referring to the entirety of Scripture, not one particular verse.

Chimon
Oct 29th 2008, 09:26 PM
While the Sabbath isn't bad, it certainly isn't required in any form for Christians:

Colossians 2 "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ."

Paul deals with this in Romans 14 and the book of Galatians. In Romans 14, Paul says,

"Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."

σяєяυииєя
Oct 29th 2008, 10:09 PM
It is interesting,

Because in Eden there was no greek nor jew, but only our former parents.

And the Sabbath was given to them ever since.

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. Genesis 2:1-3

Did God need to rest ? Being almighty?

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. Psalm 121:3,4.

There was a Sabbath also in the ceremonial law, and seeing Paul didn`t preach that requirements among the gentiles, as the circumcision, etc, so here:

Colossians 2 "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ."

He can be speaking about the ceremonial law.

Thus being this law abolish, then remains the moral law, but yes Paul seems to leave the topic about the ceremonial law up to every conscience.

Fareyewell

Chimon
Oct 30th 2008, 12:29 AM
So, I'm nto sure what conclusion you are coming to, forerunner?

σяєяυииєя
Oct 30th 2008, 02:20 AM
A mixture between this thread and this one would be interesting click (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=144574&highlight=love+law)

For example, the work/the aim of the law?

I began to read the 10 commandments, then if I am practicing/caressing/hiding some sin then the law makes it visible and makes me see my great need.

Here is also when one cries out: O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? Romans 7:24.

In addition, the law show us sins, but what then? it also shows us Christ, lead us to Jesus, when we are seeking deliverance/forgiveness/freedom from sin.

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29

Go well

Folks

Firstfruits
Oct 30th 2008, 02:21 PM
A mixture between this thread and this one would be interesting click (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=144574&highlight=love+law)

For example, the work/the aim of the law?

I began to read the 10 commandments, then if I am practicing/caressing/hiding some sin then the law makes it visible and makes me see my great need.

Here is also when one cries out: O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? Romans 7:24.

In addition, the law show us sins, but what then? it also shows us Christ, lead us to Jesus, when we are seeking deliverance/forgiveness/freedom from sin.

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29

Go well

Folks

Are the ten commandments the Holy Ghost? as I am aware it is the Holy Ghost that convicts us of sin.

Jn 16:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=43&CHAP=16&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Firstfruits

Literalist-Luke
Oct 30th 2008, 04:16 PM
Are the ten commandments the Holy Ghost? as I am aware it is the Holy Ghost that convicts us of sin.

Jn 16:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=43&CHAP=16&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

FirstfruitsThe 10 Commandments are a set of laws/teachings. The Holy Spirit is a person, God, indwelling us - quite a difference.

Firstfruits
Oct 30th 2008, 08:01 PM
The 10 Commandments are a set of laws/teachings. The Holy Spirit is a person, God, indwelling us - quite a difference.

Who or what then are we to follow with regards to the following?

Gal 5:18 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:22 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:25 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Firstfruits

Literalist-Luke
Oct 30th 2008, 08:31 PM
Who or what then are we to follow with regards to the following?

Gal 5:18 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:22 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:25 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

FirstfruitsThe New Testament - I guess I don't see the problem. :hmm:

Emanate
Oct 30th 2008, 08:41 PM

Firstfruits

By this do you mean that the Holy Ghost will not ever use scripture or whatever the Father said to convict us of sin?

Chimon
Nov 4th 2008, 01:44 AM
By this do you mean that the Holy Ghost will not ever use scripture or whatever the Father said to convict us of sin?

There's a difference between 'Scripture' and 'The Law.'

While certainly the Holy Spirit can use ANYTHING to bring someone to a point of conviction, I would suggest that the Law was given to the Israelites as a special revelation from God to convict them of sin and show them the need for Christ. I am not convinced that the Law has this same function for the Gentiles, whom the Spirit usually convicts through other means, such as he did in Acts 17, using Greek poetry to share the gospel, without any reference to the OT.

Firstfruits
Nov 4th 2008, 11:35 AM

The Holy Spirit will guide us according to that which is written with regards to the Law of Christ and his gospel which is what we are to follow.

Firstfruits

Reedan
Dec 4th 2008, 12:59 AM
Trust me - it really does exist. I've seen the parish building down the street from here. :DThe day during which people who are trying to conform to the Mosaic Law have to spend doing no work. Most Jews of today consider Saturday to be the Sabbath. I consider believers in Christ to be under no Sabbath requirement.

Matthew 12:8 (New International Version)

8For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.":)

Jesus remembered the sabbath day and kept it holy

Emanate
Dec 4th 2008, 05:26 PM
The Holy Spirit will guide us according to that which is written with regards to the Law of Christ and his gospel which is what we are to follow.

Firstfruits

As I have said to you many times, The Law of Messiah is the Law of God written on our hearts. They are not two separate and contradictory laws, they are one and the same, made larger under Messiah.

Emanate
Dec 4th 2008, 05:30 PM
There's a difference between 'Scripture' and 'The Law.'

While certainly the Holy Spirit can use ANYTHING to bring someone to a point of conviction, I would suggest that the Law was given to the Israelites as a special revelation from God to convict them of sin and show them the need for Christ. I am not convinced that the Law has this same function for the Gentiles, whom the Spirit usually convicts through other means, such as he did in Acts 17, using Greek poetry to share the gospel, without any reference to the OT.

According to Scripture (all of the Law being scripture) is that the Law was also given for freedom, life, love, promise, joy, peace, delight etc......

Parts of it were given to reveal the price of sin, but all of it was given to recognize Messiah when he came. If the law is no longer necessary in the lives of believers, then we are in effect saying that messiah is no longer needed in the life of believers. Messiah is the Word (which includes the Law) made Flesh.

I am not convinced that the Law has this same function for the Gentiles, whom the Spirit usually convicts through other means, such as he did in Acts 17, using Greek poetry to share the gospel, without any reference to the OT.

That is true, however, as believers Gentiles are no longer strangers to the covenants of promise.