PDA

View Full Version : The Act Of Giving

TBONE61
Oct 28th 2008, 03:49 PM
1 Corinthians 16:1-2 (New King James Version)

1] Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2] On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

The Act Of Giving

The Apostle Paul taught the Corinthians a lot about giving in the two letters he wrote to them. He was very direct when he talked about their responsibilities. They were eager learners and Paul was able to assist them with maximizing the blessings associated with regular and purposeful giving.

The Corinthians were giving to a specific cause. Paul was collecting the offerings to assist the destitute in the over-populated and famine stricken city of Jerusalem. Further, they were giving at a specific time, i.e. on Sundays. The point is that giving is not the result of being in a generous mood or feeling particularly attracted to a given cause... they gave because it was Sunday, the day to give. Our giving should be regular and intentional.

FOR TODAY: Identify and overcome two excuses for not giving regularly.