PDA

View Full Version : The Science Of Giving

TBONE61
Oct 29th 2008, 12:06 PM
1 Corinthians 16:2 (New King James Version)

2] On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

2 Corinthians 8:8-15 (New King James Version)

8] I speak not by commandment, but I am testing the sincerity of your love by the diligence of others. 9] For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich. 10] And in this I give advice: It is to your advantage not only to be doing what you began and were desiring to do a year ago; 11] but now you also must complete the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to desire it, so there also may be a completion out of what you have. 12] For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have. 13] For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened; 14 but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack—that there may be equality. 15] As it is written, “He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack.”

The Science Of Giving

"How much should I give?" one may ask. Paul's instructions to the Corinthians indicate the amount flexible. A common understanding, although not a practice, is that 10% is the correct amount. The idea came from the Old Testament concept of a tithe. However, the tithe was more like a required tax in order to operate the theocratic government. Scriptural guidelines for today appear to be much more about giving in accord with the way in which God has blessed us. It wold seem 10% remains a worthwhile standard. But the Corinthians were directed to give according to God's provision. Paul even explained that it was to their advantage to give. If it is more blessed to give than to receive, surely it is more blessed to give more than less.

FOR TODAY: Ask God to expand your giving horizons. Experiment with larger gifts to God.