PDA

View Full Version : Can end times study actually become obstacle to spreading the gospel?

cwb
Oct 30th 2008, 06:29 PM
We are suppose to spread the gospel to every nation. This might involve prayer, making intercession for the saints, witnessing to those who have never heard or haven't heard enough, teaching, pastoring or anything else God has called you to do to spread the gospel.

The apostle Paul said in I thess 2:19

For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

Our hope should be a motivator to serve God and get others to be in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming.

Is our study of the end times an obstacle to fulfilling our commission or is it a motivator to do more to spread the gospel. It can go either way so we need to be diligent to make sure our study of end times is a motivator to excel at doing whatever God has called us to do to spread the gospel

Semi-tortured
Oct 30th 2008, 06:43 PM
Not only can it be an obstacle by making people scared to go out, but constantly yelling, "The sky is falling>" and not having it fall is what makes scoffers out of non-believers. Let God unfold his plan, don't try to unfold it for Him. He doesn't need your help. He's got it.

Dani H
Oct 30th 2008, 07:29 PM
I think a lot of it, quite frankly, has to do with fear of the unknown. We get nervous when we consider territory that we cannot quite wrap our brains around, and so a lot of end-time chat is really just fraught with human emotion. I also think that many are genuinely just excited at the prospect of Jesus returning to earth, while others are excited and nervous, all at once. And you would have to admit that it is a quite curious and interesting subject, and to the human eye, the Bible does paint a rather dramatic and sensational picture of things to come. Which puts emotional responses all over the map, pretty much.

But, Paul and Peter and others in Scripture, when they did talk of future happenings, always reminded the believers how we ought to live today, in light of that. Their focus was never on the future. Their focus was on our here-and-now walk with the Lord, as should ours be. Yes, Jesus is coming back one day. Are you ready for His return? Did you do all He has called you to do? Examine yourelf today to see if you're in the faith. Walk the narrow path. You will stand before His judgment seat. Are you making your calling and election sure? Do you walk by faith or by sight? Are you obedient to God, putting sin far from you, putting off the old man, putting on the Lord Jesus, dying daily to the flesh, and growing up in Him? So, you can see the balance in their teaching, and what their focus really was.

The challenge, I think, is to separate the quite natural responses within our soul from the spiritual side of things, and to really just focus on the fact that Jesus is already here. By His Spirit. We don't have to wait for a Kingdom that is already here, and we don't have to wait for a King Who we already can have fellowship with, right now, today. We are already in His Kingdom, and so the future is just going to be a continuation of what He has already begun within those who belong to Him. And we can abide in His perfect peace and know that it's all going to be just fine, because God is in control, and He is well able to prepare us for anything that is coming our way. :)

Romans8:15
Oct 30th 2008, 07:42 PM
Good question!

I have actually been thinking about this sort of in my own life, I was saved when I was 4 yrs old and of course as I became older and understood more made sure I was really saved but one thing I have thought about in the past few days is no one in most southern Baptist churches never talk about revelation or end times and I love the Lord and that's not going to change but I almost feel cheated that no ever talks about how we will suffer for his name sake most people who do lessons never go into much about it if that makes sense, in saying that it seems most southern Baptist churches also focus a lot on the main stories in the bible so in part I take ownership in needing to get in the word more but I would not consider myself an intelligent person in children or in spirtual terms but I think we need to make others we witness to aware but I do agree the whole sky is falling Al the time is not good either.

I hope I made sense I am new so let me know if you have a question about what I wrote and was not trying to offend any southern Baptist people just an observation.

Romans8:15
Oct 30th 2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry my sentence was supposed to say I do not consider myself intelligent in general(not children) my blackberry has a mind of its own when I am typing!

Prophecy Countdown
Oct 30th 2008, 08:02 PM
We are suppose to spread the gospel to every nation. This might involve prayer, making intercession for the saints, witnessing to those who have never heard or haven't heard enough, teaching, pastoring or anything else God has called you to do to spread the gospel.

Our hope should be a motivator to serve God and get others to be in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming.

Is our study of the end times an obstacle to fulfilling our commission or is it a motivator to do more to spread the gospel. It can go either way so we need to be diligent to make sure our study of end times is a motivator to excel at doing whatever God has called us to do to spread the gospel

The testimony of Jesus is prophecy.:hug:

Rev 1: 3. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Rev 9: 9. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
10. And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Rev 22: 10. And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

Rev 22: 18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Rev 22: 19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. ;)

mizzdy
Oct 30th 2008, 08:34 PM

There are times subjects like this can lead to great discussions with non-believers. I have had more talks with others with discussions like the end times or even aliens for that matter than if I went up and asked if they knew Christ and started quoting scriptures. The other day I was talking with someone in a general conversation that lead to some scifi something that ended with sharing the gospel. For me when I study end times it brings me closer to God and His Word.

quiet dove
Oct 30th 2008, 09:12 PM

It seems that all the talk in the secular world of the "sky might fall soon", is a good opener for discussion. Mainly when others are panicked and worried, and the Christian is at peace. Peacefulness is a powerful witness. And then of course the Gospel first, then end times knowledge as helpful as the discussion progresses.

cwb
Oct 30th 2008, 10:19 PM
It seems that all the talk in the secular world of the "sky might fall soon", is a good opener for discussion. Mainly when others are panicked and worried, and the Christian is at peace. Peacefulness is a powerful witness. And then of course the Gospel first, then end times knowledge as helpful as the discussion progresses.

I agree with you that knowlege of end times can definitely help when witnessing and can even help to open a door. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that our study of the end times should motivate us to spread the gospel.

cwb
Oct 30th 2008, 10:28 PM
Not only can it be an obstacle by making people scared to go out, but constantly yelling, "The sky is falling>" and not having it fall is what makes scoffers out of non-believers. Let God unfold his plan, don't try to unfold it for Him. He doesn't need your help. He's got it.

It can also be an obstacle if someone gets overly "hung up" on the details of how everything is going to happen at the end that they spend more time on that than spreading the gospel. Don't get me wrong. I definitely believe it is important to study the end times. I am just saying that the end result of our studies should be that we get better at spreading the gospel.

quiet dove
Oct 30th 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with you that knowlege of end times can definitely help when witnessing and can even help to open a door. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that our study of the end times should motivate us to spread the gospel.

I think it should and does, I also think if we throw in other prophecies, and not necessarily end times only, but the ones that already came to pass, it is a strong witness and I believe that is a powerful reason that God gave them to us. When you can quote the OT prophets and say, then 200 years later this or that happened. Like in Daniel, so accurate that the only thing folks can come up with is to claim it was written after the fact.:rolleyes:

Knowing the the end could very well be upon us, the hard times that will come with it, most definitely it is a motivator to pass on the message of Life. On a personal note and not to debate/derail, because as I said, it's on a personal note; me being pre trib, as you know, for me it is all the more motivation to spread the Gospel because whether or not end times is even discussed, I know that there is no reason for anyone to be left behind. Also I think that end times should not necessarily be the conversation piece, maybe starter, but then to lead folks to Christ and salvation, first things first. Can't expect a person to understand the rest of the Book until they are indwelt with the One who's ministry it is to give them understanding.

immortality
Oct 31st 2008, 12:34 AM
my family and friends know all too well my beliefs regarding the future. i have made it quite clear to them that i believe we are nearing the end of that age, and that this financial crisis is only the beginning. the main thing, however, is that i've put emphasis on the fact that god has revealed this to me. therefore when these times come upon us in the very near future, perhaps it will prompt them to ponder the possibility that there is indeed a god, and that he really does warn his children of things not yet seen.

in regards to the over study of end times, i agree that it can become an obsession. the popular pretrib/posttrib debate is proof that it can have detrimental effects. satan is undoubtedly happy when christians not only spend less time focusing on the foundations of christianity, but neglect their duty to "sow in peace" by spending all their time arguing over end time scenarios.

i believe some "christians" first need to make sure they are even saved before contemplating, let alone quarreling over an event which if were to take place, they may not even be eligible to participate in. this is the "parable of the ten virgins" in full effect. i'm sure there will be many individuals who, while in hell, will wish they had spent more time buying oil and less time obsessing over bible prophecy.

in reality what it all comes down to is not if the rapture is pretrib or postrib, or if we are in the end times or not, but rather if people are saved. it is not eschatology, but rather salvation.

Semi-tortured
Oct 31st 2008, 01:17 AM
my family and friends know all too well my beliefs regarding the future. i have made it quite clear to them that i believe we are nearing the end of that age, and that this financial crisis is only the beginning. the main thing, however, is that i've put emphasis on the fact that god has revealed this to me. therefore when these times come upon us in the very near future, perhaps it will prompt them to ponder the possibility that there is indeed a god, and that he really does warn his children of things not yet seen.

You do realize that thousands of people throughout history have told themselves and others "God has revealed this to me." and absolutely nothing came to pass. Not saying He did or didn't, but have you looked at the flip side of the coin you tossed in the air? What if you're mistaken and God has not revealed to you what you think He has and nothing happens? Then what do you think your family does? They look at you like a crazy and walk further away from God. How has God revealed it? In a vision? Did He actually verbally talk to you? To say God has revealed things to you and apparently not to others is almost claiming you're a prophet.

yoSAMite
Oct 31st 2008, 01:39 AM
I'd say it isn't an obstacle. How can spending time with God's Word not be profitable. Using what knowledge we have and correlating it with current events can be an opening to expressing the Gospel.

DIZZY
Oct 31st 2008, 01:55 AM
I enjoy talking and learning about end times from my brothers and sisters in this forum. I don't spend every second or minute of the day on this forum I also have a mission field around me, this is where I spend most of my time.

When the Lord opens a door of opportuntity I step right in and take it and sometimes I create a door myself.

If you make endtimes an obstacle because it is the only place you spend your time, then one needs to stop and think about their priorities. Studying is great but remember to use what you learn otherwise what profit is it to you.

JesusMySavior
Oct 31st 2008, 02:29 AM
I've seen evidence - in my life and in other believers' lives, that when one is expecting the soon coming of Christ, their ministry increases many times over.

Most of the believers I know that think His coming is far off and/or they're not worried about it, their witnessing zeal and outreach is pretty weak.

Let's face it - the apostles were looking for Christ's appearing...after all, nobody really knows. But we have signs now that tell us that it's so close. And while I'm not screaming "the sky is falling", my anticipation for the Lord's return is a major part of what fuels my devotion to Him (and got me convinced that He was who He said He is).

My heart's Desire
Oct 31st 2008, 06:16 AM
I don't think it is an obstacle at all. But.....unbelievers are not believers so you have to use what you have at where they are. The Lord's return discussion may be perfect for those who have a secular view of the end of the world and have interest in that and yet may not work for someone whose interest is simply wanting to know if there really is a God. You have to start at where they are at.

Roelof
Nov 2nd 2008, 06:52 AM
We have to put as much as possible time and money into spreading the gospel, Jesus is coming soon !!!

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Mat 24:14)