PDA

View Full Version : Dogmatism and the end times in Revelation?

Lamplighter
Oct 31st 2008, 01:06 AM
Most Christians seem to be dogmatic when it comes to their views on Biblical prophecy and the end times, even though scripture does not lend to dogmatism in it's end times prophecies.

Are you dogmatic that your views on end times Biblical prophecy is the right view, and all other views are wrong, or are you open to the possibility that nobody(including yourself) has it 100% nailed?

In your opinion, does the Bible support a dogmatic view on end times prophesy? Does somebody have it figured out to 100% accuracy?

I say dogmatism on end times prophesy is the wrong stance, what say you?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 31st 2008, 01:47 AM
I say nobody has the right to be dogmatic except me and those who agree with me. :D

Lamplighter
Oct 31st 2008, 02:09 AM
I say nobody has the right to be dogmatic except me and those who agree with me. :D

I feel the same way, but you know we are both wrong quite often in reality.;)

DaveS
Oct 31st 2008, 02:28 AM
It's an interesting question, Lamplighter. I tend to be pretty sure about my views on end times events but I admit that sometimes the purpose of prophesy is more about confirmation after the fact than it is about knowing what's going to happen beforehand.

Joh 13:19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

On the other hand there are some things that people are supposed to KNOW, ie., be dogmatic about, beforehand.

Luk 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

So I guess I would say that general prophetic truths are to be held to (dogmatically, if you will) as matters of faith, while specific events are often unrecognized, even by the most devout saints in the Bible, until hindsight and the Holy Ghost match the event to the prophesy that foretold it.

Dani H
Oct 31st 2008, 02:33 AM
I'm only ever dogmatic about being right when I'm breathing. :)

But honestly, when it comes to "end times" I see a few things clearly, and others, not so much. I'm just here to provide my piece of the puzzle and hope to glean from others the pieces that I'm missing.

Lamplighter
Oct 31st 2008, 02:41 AM
It's an interesting question, Lamplighter. I tend to be pretty sure about my views on end times events but I admit that sometimes the purpose of prophesy is more about confirmation after the fact than it is about knowing what's going to happen beforehand.

Joh 13:19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

On the other hand there are some things that people are supposed to KNOW, ie., be dogmatic about, beforehand.

Luk 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

So I guess I would say that general prophetic truths are to be held to (dogmatically, if you will) as matters of faith, while specific events are often unrecognized, even by the most devout saints in the Bible, until hindsight and the Holy Ghost match the event to the prophesy that foretold it.

I'm with you on this one DaveS

Bick
Oct 31st 2008, 05:15 AM
I try not to be dogmatic. I try to be careful when comparing scripture with scripture, to rightly divide as my studies lead me.

And being careful to try not to enter in to a subject of study with pre-conceived ideas.

Lamplighter
Oct 31st 2008, 05:24 AM
I try not to be dogmatic. I try to be careful when comparing scripture with scripture, to rightly divide as my studies lead me.

And being careful to try not to enter in to a subject of study with pre-conceived ideas.

Same here, but this is much easier said then done. Human beings are so opinionated and strong willed, it's hard to let down our doctrinal walls, and study the Bible for all it's worth in the original manuscript languages, and also testing scripture in light of scripture.

thepenitent
Oct 31st 2008, 02:26 PM
Most Christians seem to be dogmatic when it comes to their views on Biblical prophecy and the end times, even though scripture does not lend to dogmatism in it's end times prophecies.

Are you dogmatic that your views on end times Biblical prophecy is the right view, and all other views are wrong, or are you open to the possibility that nobody(including yourself) has it 100% nailed?

In your opinion, does the Bible support a dogmatic view on end times prophesy? Does somebody have it figured out to 100% accuracy?

I agree with you Lamp. Too many Godly, Spirit filled people are all over the board on eschatology for us to be dogmatic on any position. I just to keep my eyes open and live a Christian live. Live like he's coming back tomorrow.

jesuslover1968
Oct 31st 2008, 02:39 PM

first, Could I get YOUR definition of what dogmatic means? And also your meaning for " scripture does not lend to dogmatism in it's endtimes prophecies? Thanks in advance. :)

I would say no to the first statement. I don't think anyone has it ALL correct, except God. :)
I would agree to the last statement. I don't think any one person, or group, for that matter, has it 100% correct. God does, though. I believe He has given us all the correct answers, but being the fallen individuals that we are, we get it wrong sometimes...:lol:

here is the definition of dogmatism as in websters...

dog·ma·tism
1 : positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant 2 : a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises

as you can see from these two defs, dogmatism is a negative word.

per the websters definition, I would have to say yes.

DevinWL
Dec 7th 2008, 03:00 AM
In the light of what is being said I don't understand why we as christains never put ourselves in these situations...why does it always have to be about someone else...when John received the message about the 7 chruches Ive heard so many people dogmatically say that, this isnt about us...are we to really believe that this message was for 7 ancient chruches in which only two are still operating...notice when Jesus talkes to John what he says "...to him who has an ear let me hear what I say to the seven churches..." all that happened in the seven churches was going on in all 7...that church is us until you begin to see that i say stop trying to rush the 2nd coming by "watching" but search your heart and hope your ready because what did Jesus say..."many will say Lord, Lord" and what will he say to those people "turn away from me, I do not know you" also "Did we not do good works in your name, heal the sick, cast out demons" and His response is the same...so start looking at your self

DurbanDude
Dec 8th 2008, 01:16 PM

I've heard it said that the most open-minded person is the one who realises that they are completely close-minded.:o

When we realise this we can take more time to understand another's view and maybe learn something.

HisLeast
Dec 8th 2008, 02:04 PM
I've heard it said that the most open-minded person is the one who realises that they are completely close-minded.:o

I believe it was Socrates who proposed that. When wondering who was wise, he realized that nobody was, and him least of all. But paradoxically, he demonstrated more wisdom than anyone else by knowing and admitting he was the least wise.

IBWatching
Dec 8th 2008, 04:38 PM
...Are you dogmatic that your views on end times Biblical prophecy is the right view, and all other views are wrong, or are you open to the possibility that nobody(including yourself) has it 100% nailed?...

Best answered by Scripture itself:

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;

Yes. Even Luke doesn't know it all. :lol:

Just_Another_Guy
Dec 8th 2008, 05:10 PM

I think it does. A certain amount of dogmatism is actually a good quality, it demonstrates that one is not consumed with superficiality and the doctrine of the moment...being carried to and fro by every wind of doctrine that is brought up before them.

Literalist-Luke
Dec 8th 2008, 05:39 PM
Even Luke doesn't know it all. :lol:Huh? What? Was somebody talking about me? :lol: