PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Chronicles

Frances
Oct 31st 2008, 05:43 PM
1 Chronicles (from the foreword in my NKJV)
"the books of 1 and 2 Chronicles cover the same period of Jewish history as described in 2 Samuel and 1+2 Kings, but the perspective is different . . . no mere repetition of the same material, but rather from a divine editorial on the history of God's people. While 2 Samuel and 1+2 Kings give a political history of Israel and Judah, 1+2 Chronicles present a religious history of the Davidic dynasty of Judah. the former are written from a prophetic and moral viewpoint, and the later from a priestly and spiritual perspective. . . 1st Chronicles . . . traces the spiritual significance of David's righteous reign.

1 Chronicles 1 - 9

What did I learn of God? - Family histories are important to Him, including where each person lived and whether they fully trusted Him and, in some instances their occupation. Repeated unfaithfulness to Him brings retribution.

What did I learn of myself? - My family history is known to the Lord. He knows of all character and physical defects I have inherited from my forebears.

What did I praise God for? - knowing each of his people intimately.

What did I pray for? - That I will earn the right to be recorded in His book of Life as one who fully trusted, and was obedient to, Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Genealogies - the descendants of Jacob's sons.

Note:- when I feel unimportant and insignificant I must remember each name represents an individual who is important to, and remembered by, God. . . these 'boring' lists are a reminder of God's Love for each apparently insignificant one of His people.

Frances
Nov 4th 2008, 07:03 PM
1 Chronicles 10

What did I learn of God? - He removes His protection from those who are unfaithful to Him, also from those who consult mediums for guidance instead of turning to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - God has prepared/is preparing someone to do all I do for Him - and maybe they will do it more conscientiously and/or better? Have I sought guidance from a medium (or similar) instead of from the Lord? if so, have I repented and sought Forgiveness through Jesus Christ? or made excuses for my behaviour?

What did I praise God for? - He always keeps His Word.

What did I pray for? - to be reminded of everything I've done that has displeased the Lord but not yet been repented of.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the deaths of Saul and his sons because of his disobedience/unfaithfulness to God.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)"Even a member of the Covenant community, even one exalted to be king over God's people, must submit to God and do His Will. The faithless Saul was rejected . . . Yet even the unfaithfulness of Saul could not thwart God's good purposes for His people. Saul was set aside, but the Lord 'turned the kingdom over to David"'

Frances
Nov 5th 2008, 05:29 PM
1 Chronicles 11

What did I learn of God? – He ensures those who please Him have the right friends and helpers.

What did I learn of myself? – Has the Lord prepared me/is He preparing me to be used in some way in the ‘Work of His Kingdom? Desperate situations I face maybe for future service for Him, although it ay not necessarily be to confront an angry lion in a pit in icy underfoot, but I must be prepared to face other frightening and difficult circumstances. If I want to be a peacemaker I must not show favouratism to nzy factions (Jerusalem was on the borderline between the northern and southern sections of @David’s kingdom was part of neither.

What did I praise God for? - The training He ensures I| receive to enable me to serve Him in the way He desires.

What did I pray for? – that I never turn away from difficulties but face each one with Him..

What is this saying in one sentence? – David was made king and a list of his ‘mighty men’.

Many Thanks
Frances

Frances
Nov 6th 2008, 05:40 PM
1 Chronicles 12

What did I learn of God? - He provides sufficient helpers to enable leaders He chooses to accomplish all He desires in His Strength.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ensure those I follow are faithful to the Lord in all things? am I loyal to them? Do I understand what the Lord is doing and do it with Him? Do I inspire loyalty as David did? if not, why not? It is right to take risks when the Lord asks me to do so in His Service, but not to take risks to satisfy a leader's longings, or my own ego. Am I as concerned for the well-being of my friends as David was? Do I provide what I am able for those in need?

What did I praise God for? - The preparation He has given me for the spiritual Battles ahead, and loyal friends.

What did I pray for? - greater discernment.

What is this saying in one sentence? - those the Lord sent to join David's army.

Frances
Nov 7th 2008, 05:33 PM
1 Chronicles 13

What did I learn of God? - He is Holy. His people must ensure they are not only pleasing God but obeying Him in the way they do it (Ex. 25:14; Num. 4:2-15; Deut. 10:8). He Blesses those who welcome Him. He must be obeyed. What He said in times past still hold good today.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I consult the Lord regarding my proposed actions before asking others? Do I only continue with what I propose if I have His Peace to do so? Do my reflex actions follow the Lord's instructions implicitly?

What did I praise God for? - His standards never change.

What did I pray for? - to know Him so well that every movement I make will be pleasing to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence?- What the Lord said in times past still hold good today and David decided to take the Ark to Jerusalem, but ignored God's Instructions for moving it.

Frances
Nov 8th 2008, 06:13 PM
1 Chronicles 14

What did I learn of God? - He must be consulted, even for two situations that appear to be similar, as the best way to deal with them may not be the same.

What did I learn of myself? - What the Lord has Promised me may not become manifest for many difficult years. Do I always consult the Lord regarding decisions I have to make? especially if my decision will affect others? Do I trust Him with every detail of my life? I, too, have good friends who will help me.

What did I praise God for? - each of the folk He has inspired to befriend and help me.

What did I pray for? - to be thoughtful regarding God's right to rule my life, not thoughtless.

What is this saying in one sentence? - David was sent cedar trees, masons and carpenters to build him a house; he married more women and fathered more children; and defeated the Philistines twice, following God's directions.

Frances
Nov 9th 2008, 05:48 PM
1 Chronicles 15

What did I learn of God? - When He is obeyed He Blesses and helps.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always obey God? do I treat what has been dedicated to Him with the respect I should?(eg. other people and my own body). Do I involve everyone possible in serving the Lord? or give the impression - maybe without meaning to - that I think I'm more important and can do without their help? Do I recognize God's Help? or take it for granted? Do others despise me for the ways I believe glorify God? if so they may suffer for it? (as Mical did).

What did I praise God for? - that everyone, and what they do, is important to Him.

What did I pray for? - to take good care of the piece of precision engineering that is my body, not abuse it or take it's painless functioning for granted.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Ark was joyfully taken to Jerusalem.

Frances
Nov 10th 2008, 04:33 PM
1 Chronicles 16

What did I learn of God? - He is Great, and worthy of praise and thanks. His Covenant with Abraham and His oath to Isaac was confirmed to Jacob - an everlasting Covenant to give them the land of Canaan. He protects His people. His offer of Salvation is Good News. He made the Heavens. He is the Judge of the Earth. His Mercy endures for ever.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I give gifts to celebrate joyful occasions? do I bless others in the Name of the Lord? Do I pray to the living God? Do I make His deeds known? Do I sing to Him? Do I glory in His Holy Name? Do I seek His face and His Strength? Do I remember His marvelous works and His Judgments? Do I proclaim the Good News of His Salvation? Do I give Him His due?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and the Good News that His Salvation is available for all people.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Ark was put in the tabernacle, David's song of thanksgiving was sung, and regular worship continued.

Frances
Nov 11th 2008, 05:08 PM
1 Chronicles 17

What did I learn of God? -He may not be pleased with what we want to do for Him. He Promised to always be Merciful to David's son who would succeed him and that his throne would be established forever, (brought to fulfillment in Jesus Christ).

What did I learn of myself? - Am I doing/haveI done anything for God that has displeased Him? Do I always acknowledge God's Graciousness and Mercy to me? He does not ask me to do great things for Him, but to allow Him to do great things through and for me. I must submit to God to allow Him to act for me in amazing ways.

What did I praise God for? - His Grace and Mercy.

What did I pray for? - that before starting to do anything for Him to always ask if it will please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Covenant with David.

Quote:- (Robert Cecil) " Faith makes all evil good to us, and all good better; unbelief makes all good evil, and all evil worse. Faith laughs at the shaking of the spear, unbelief trembles at the shaking of a leaf, unbelief starves the soul; faith finds food in famine, and the table in the wilderness. In the days of danger faith says "I have a great God". When outward strength is broken, faith rests on the Promises. In the midst of sorrow faith draws the sting out of every trouble, and takes out the bitterness from every affliction. '

Frances
Nov 12th 2008, 05:08 PM
1 Chronicles 18 - 20

What did I learn of God? - He acts with, and for, those who honour Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I honour God and His Word? Do I, wrongly, suspect those who intend to be kind of intending to harm me? When I make mistakes do I confess and make restitution or try to cover them up and get deeper in trouble? am I willing to be inconvenienced to encourage those who are ashamed or humiliated?

What did I praise God for? - that He acts with, and for, those who serve Him.

What did I pray for? - to always show compassion to those humiliated or ashamed.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Davids's conquests.

Frances
Nov 13th 2008, 05:48 PM
1 Chronicles 21

What did I learn of God? - He is displeased with any form of personal pride. His Mercies are great. His punishments are severe.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I acknowledge any ability that I have comes from the Lord? or do I consider achievements are due only, or mainly, to my personal ability? Is my trust in the Lord complete? or only partial, as an addendum to my personal ability? Prior to obeying leaders do I warn them if their actions will displease the Lord? God is pleased with my genuine repentance. Do I offer the Lord what costs me nothing? Do I act in harmony with God's Word? Do I examine my motives before acting?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to please God in all things.

What is this saying in one sentence? - David ordered Joab to count the number of soldiers available - which God punished.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " The Hebrew 'shatan' means 'adversary'. It is possible it should be rendered this way in 21:1. In that case, Satan was not involved, but it was the appearance of adversaries preparing for war . . .that prompted David to take a military census.

Frances
Nov 14th 2008, 05:05 PM
1 Chronicles 22

What did I learn of God? – He did not allow David to build the Temple to Glorify Him because he had shed a lot of blood (even though He had enabled David to be the warrior he was) He said Solomon would be born to David and build the Temple, during a time of peace. He established the kingdom of Israel for ever.

What did I learn of myself? – Am I willing to make preparations for others to do great things for God instead of doing them myself? or do I make the mistake of thinking I must do the special things? If I am careful to obey God’s decrees and regulations I will be successful in what He wants me to do. I, too, have benefited from my ancestors allegiance to the Lord my God. Have I determined to do God’s Will in every area of my life?

What did I praise God for? – being far more faithful to me than I am to Him.

What did I pray for? – greater determination to do His Will in every tiny detail.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David made preparations for Solomon to build the Temple and encouraged him to be faithful to God.

Frances
Nov 15th 2008, 04:46 PM
1 Chronicles 23, 24 +25

What did I learn of God? – Visible worship and praise of Him are of paramount importance. He gives His people Peace –spiritual, mental and sometimes physical too. He has endowed His people with ‘natural’ talents He expects them to use for His Glory.

What did I learn of myself? - Is the most important thing to me to worship and praise the Lord in all I do and say? Is my first consideration always to ensure others know He is worthy of adoration? Do I trust Him enough to allow His Peace to rule my life.

What did I praise God for? – being unique.

What did I pray for? – to be single-minded in my devotion to Almighty God.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s orders regarding the Priests, Levites and musicians to ensure continual praise and worship of God.

Frances
Nov 16th 2008, 01:24 PM
1 Chronicles 28

What did I learn of God? – He requires those He Blesses to obey Him and His Word. He searches all hearts and understands the intentions and thoughts of all minds. Those who seek Him will find Him – but those who forsake Him, He will reject. His Spirit enlightens those of His people who are receptive. He never forsakes those intent on doing His Will.

What did I learn of myself? – the Lord may not want me to do what I would like to do for Him. Do I always obey the Lord? Do I know Him intimately? Do I worship Him with my whole heart and a willing mind? God knows what is in my heart and every one of my thoughts. When I seek God I will find Him. If I forsake God He will reject me. Do I always do the best I am able in His service? Have I made preparations for the Lord’s Work to continue with some of my resources after I am dead? The Lord will be with me as I work for His Glory.

What did I praise God for? – knowing everything about me.

What did I pray for? - to fulfill God’s purposes for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s instructions to Solomon regarding the Temple.

Frances
Nov 17th 2008, 05:12 PM
1 Chronicles 29

What did I learn of God? – He chose Solomon to be king of Israel. Giving to Him with a willing heart produces Joy. His is the Greatness, the Power and the Glory, the Victory and the Majesty. All that is in Heaven and Earth belongs to Him. He is Head over all. Riches and Honour come from Him. He reigns over all. He is able to give Strength to all. All things come from Him. He tests the hearts of His people. His people’s integrity gives Him pleasure.

What did I learn of myself? – Is it important to me to give abundantly to the Lord’s Work? Whatever I do, for or against God’s Will, some others will follow my lead. Do I fully realize the Greatness, Power, Victory, Majesty and Glory of the Lord? Do I realize all that is in Heaven and on earth is His? and that He Reigns over everyone everywhere? that both riches and honour come from Him? and that He has all Power and Might? and that He is able to give me His strength, am I able to receive it? Do I thank and praise Him sufficiently? I have nothing to give Him that He didn’t first give me. Do I give enough back to Him? Are all my promises to the Lord fulfilled? God doesn’t value what I give Him so much as the intention of my heart. (eg. the widow’s mite)

What did I praise God for? – being Himself

What did I pray for? – Forgiveness, and greater realization that giving to Him for His Work is not a duty but a privilege.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s offerings to, and praise of God; Solomon anointed king and David’s death.

Frances
Nov 18th 2008, 05:15 PM
2 Chronicles

from the Fore-word in my NKJV: -
"Second book of Chronicles parallels 1+2 Kings but virtually ignores the northern kingdom of Israel, because of it's false worship and refusal to acknowledge the Temple in Jerusalem . . . it focuses on those kings who pattern their lives and reigns (on) Godly king David. It gives extended treatment to such zealous reformers as Asa, Jehoshaphat, Hezekiah and Josiah.

2 Chronicles 1
What did I learn of God? - He was with Solomon and Blessed him greatly. He offered to give Solomon what he asked for. As the desire of for wisdom and knowledge were in Solomon's heart God also gave him riches, wealth and honour.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ask God for wisdom and knowledge to do His Will? or for riches, wealth, honour, victory over enemies and/or long life? Whatever I offer God should be the best that I am able to.

What did I praise God for? - that He knows what is my heart's desire and treats me accordingly. (with either encouragement or discipline)

What did I pray for? - wisdom and knowledge to Glorify the Lord in all I do.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon's heart's desire also military and economic power.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "2 Chronicles goes into great detail about Solomon's concern regarding the Temple. To this commentator on history, the spiritual is far more important than material splendor

Frances
Nov 19th 2008, 04:41 PM
2 Chronicles 2

What did I learn of God? - He is greater than all gods. He Loves His people.

What did I learn of myself? - am I determined to Glorify God in all I do? if not, why not? Am I prepared to ask others for help when I need it, while doing all I am able to myself? Do I welcome those who seem responsive to God? Do I ask 'not yet' Christians to help with doing Christian things?

What did I praise God for? - His Love.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to know when to ask for help - and from whom.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon prepared to build the Temple.

Quote:- (Francis Xavier)
" Take care not to frighten away by stern rigor poor sinners who are trying to lay bare the shocking state of their souls. Speak to them rather of the great Mercy of God, and make easy for them what, at best is a difficult task. Be especially gentle with those who from weakness of age or sex have not the courage to confess the ugly things they have done. . . Sometimes people are helped by your telling them about your own lamentable past."

Frances
Nov 20th 2008, 04:47 PM
2 Chronicles 3 + 4

What did I learn of God? - He had appeared to David on Mount Moriah, by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

What did I learn of myself? -have I fulfilled my parent's desires to glorify God? Is what I do for Him the best I can possibly do?

What did I praise God for? - Accepting what I am able to give, however little it may appear to me or others.

What did I pray for? - to do what is perfect in God's eyes.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon built and furnished the Temple.

Frances
Nov 21st 2008, 05:02 PM
2 Chronicles 5 + 6

What did I learn of God? - He is good. His Mercy endures for ever. His Glory is experienced where His people glorify Him. He fulfills His Promises. He has chosen o be associated with Jerusalem. He keeps his Covenants. Nothing can contain Him. He has regard for the prayers of His servants. He is a Forgiving Judge when His people repent their Sin.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever have '2nd thoughts' regarding what I, or my ancestors, have dedicated to God? Do I fulfill the purposes for which God gives me life? When I share my faith with others it may be more effective to follow Solomon's example and speak of God's Faithfulness. Am I obedient to God and His Laws? He is willing to Forgive my Sins - if I repent. Do I really know God? When I feel farthest from God I can still go to Him in prayer and know that He hears me.

What did I praise God for? - always keeping His Word.

What did I pray for? - to always be aware of, and repent of, Sins before I anger the Lord God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon brought the Ark into the Temple, his speech and prayer of dedication.

Quote:- (Anselm of Canterbury)
"Come. Cast aside your burdensome cares, and put aside your laborious pursuits. For a little while give your time to God and rest in Him . . . Enter into the inner chamber of your mind, shut out all except God and whatever may aid you in seeking God; . . . "

Frances
Nov 22nd 2008, 04:50 PM
2 Chronicles 7

What did I learn of God? - His Presence is Glorious. His Mercy endures for ever. It is impossible to give too much in worship of Him. He appeared to Solomon. He chose and sanctified the Temple Solomon had built and dedicated to Him. His Promises have conditions - eg. if Solomon tried to please Him, obeyed Him and worshipped Him then . . . but if not then . . .

What did I learn of myself? - Is my life, everything I have and everything I do, dedicated to God? Do I always humble myself, and pray and do my best to please Him? Have I determined to turn away from everything that I know displeases God, repent when I fail Him, trusting Jesus Christ to have paid the penalty for my Sin?? If so, He has 'chosen and sanctified' me. If I worship God, do His will, and obey Him, He will Bless me; but if I turn from Him to give my worship to other gods then He will turn away from me and may allow calamity to befall me.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to those faithful to Him.

What did I pray for? - Strength to resist every temptation to do something that will displease Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The people celebrated for seven days when Solomon dedicated the Temple - then God appeared to him again.

Frances
Nov 23rd 2008, 04:40 PM
2 Chronicles 8 + 9

What did I learn of God? - the wisdom He gave Solomon, when used for His Glory, was known far and wide and brought Him recognition and honour.

What did I learn of myself? - am I mindful to keep everything I have dedicated to the Lord (including myself) separated from practices and things used in worship of other gods? Does the quality of my life lead others to Jesus? Do I believe everything I hear? or do I make full investigations first - even if that causes me considerable inconvenience and discomfort? Do I give presents and /or adulation to those whose lives encourage others to worship God? or to those who encourage unGodly 'worldly' ways?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - greater ability to encourage others to follow Jesus.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon's achievements and the Queen of Sheba's visit.

Frances
Nov 24th 2008, 04:52 PM
Chronicles 10

What did I learn of God? - He may encourage discord so that His Judgment will be carried out (in this case the Judgment described in 1 Kings 11:29-39).

What did I learn of myself? - Will I be remembered for harshness by those who know me best, and for wisdom and benevolence by those who only know of me from a distance, or from short visits? If so, what can I do about it before it's too late? Is my worship of Almighty God only 'show' while I worship other gods more privately? do I listen to the people who give unwise advise? Could difficulties in my life, in part at least, be God's Judgment for un-repented Sin? What Sin I have not repented of?

What did I praise God for? - that His Mercy endures for ever.

What did I pray for? - Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - 10 tribes revolted against Solomon's son Rehoboam.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Rehoboam's arrogance was the immediate cause of Israel's rebellion. While the turn of events was from the Lord Rehoboam's foolishness serves as a reminder. Use of authority, and the attitude of a person with authority, either wins or loses the allegiance of others".

Frances
Nov 25th 2008, 04:48 PM
2 Chronicles 11

What did I learn of God? - the division between the 10 tribes of Israel and Judah, Benjamin, the Priests and Levites was His doing. He encourages those determined to worship Him to leave their homes, if necessary, to do so.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I stop what I want, or am required, to do if the Lord makes clear it is against His Will? or do I refuse to heed Him? Do I defend myself against un-Godliness? Am I learning more of the Lord's Word each day, to enable me to fight un-Godliness and protect myself from attack in the Lord's Name? Would I leave my home, if necessary, to go where I'm able to worship the Lord, and strengthen His Army, or would I tolerate being surrounded by, and risk being drawn into, ungodliness? Am I wise enough to realise some people are less likely to quarrel if kept apart?

What did I praise God for? - The decisions/Judgments He makes regarding His people relate to both the past and the future.

What did I pray for? - Spiritual protection at all times.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Rehoboam heeded God's Word, he fortified cities for defense, the Priests and Levites moved to his territory where they were free to worship the Lord, and he dispersed his sons throughout his kingdom.

Frances
Nov 26th 2008, 04:15 PM
2 Chronicles 12

What did I learn of God? - He causes difficulties for those of His people who are unfaithful to Him. Repentance from His people gains His Favour, but not necessarily removal of all the difficulties their former unfaithfulness brought them. He takes note of the heart attitude of His people.

What did I learn of myself? - When things are going well for me do I neglect to strengthen my relationship with God? Could any of the difficulties I face be the result of my former disregard of the Lord and His Will for me? Have I turned away from my way to seek His? Do I seek to know the Lord's Will with all my heart, fully intending to do His Will? or will He regard me as 'evil' because when I know His Will I don't do it? Do I remember, when I am disciplined by God, that His punishment is motivated by Love which cost Him far more (in the crucifixion of Jesus) than it costs me. Do I fully realise the value of a 'broken and contrite heart'(Psalm 51:17)

What did I praise God for? - His discipline when necessary.

What did I pray for? - that He never allows me to neglect my relationship with Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Rehoboam neglected God and suffered as a result, but as he repented he was not completely destroyed.

Frances
Nov 27th 2008, 04:01 PM
2 Chronicles 13

What did I learn of God? - He gave dominion over Israel to David and his descendants forever. Only Aaron's descendants can be priests. Those who fight against His obedient people fight against Him, and will suffer for it. He is always with those who rely on Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I tried to take what is not mine by right? if so I will be defeated. When I really rely on the Lord He defends me. Do I warn folk not to go against God and His Will? Though I may be surprised by the turn of events, my circumstances do not surprise God, and if I truly rely on Him He will ensure the results are according to His Will.

What did I praise God for? - in spite of all our Sins (eg.1 Kings 15:3) He never forsakes those who rely on Him.

What did I pray for? - to always rely on God and obey Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - King Abijah's reign in Judah.

Quote:- (Nancy Spielburg)
" Lord, I crawled across the barrenness to You with my empty cup
Uncertain. . . in asking any small drop of refreshment.
If only I'd known You better
I'd have come running with a bucket."

Frances
Nov 28th 2008, 04:18 PM
2 Chronicles 14

What did I learn of God? - He gives those faithful to Him His Rest, and enables them to complete projects He instigates. He helps those who are faithful to Him and rely on Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I do what is 'good and right' in the eyes of the Lord my God? Do I encourage folk to worship Almighty God through Jesus Christ and discard un-Godly ways? Do I experience His Peace? if not, is there something I have not repented of? eg.have I been disobedient to Him in some way? Even when I obey the Lord I will still have battles to fight - do I fight them on my own or rely on Him and His Guidance? Do I accept all the Blessings He gives me?

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to Help those who rely on Him.

What did I pray for? - a greater determination to please Him, and willingness to rely on Him instead of my own understanding (Prov. 3:5)

What is this saying in one sentence? - The first part of Asa's reign.

Frances
Nov 29th 2008, 05:22 PM
2 Chronicles 15

What did I learn of God? - God's Holy Spirit is with those faithful to Him. He will be found by those who seek Him. He forsakes those who forsake Him, but is still Forgiving and Faithful to those who repent and turn back to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - If I desire to please the Lord, and obey Him he will be with me. If I seek God I will find Him. If I turn away from the Lord He will turn away from me. However far I go away from God and His Ways, when I truly repent (turn back to Him determined to obey Him in future) He will come back to me. I must be persistent in my commitment to the Lord. Do I allow God to work through me to Glorify Himself? Do I ignore, or tolerate, un-Godly behaviour from close family members? Why?

What did I praise God for? - Always being willing to Forgive my waywardness when I truly repent.

What did I pray for? - a renewed determination to please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Reforms Asa carried out.

Frances
Nov 30th 2008, 05:43 PM
2 Chronicles 16

What did I learn of God? - He helps His people when they rely on Him, but allows them to be defeated when they don't.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I consult the Lord first before responding to difficulties? or act first and consult Him afterwards. Do I rely on the Lord to do what I want - or can He rely on me to act in obedience to Him? Am I really loyal to the Lord?

What did I praise God for? - Testing His people's loyalty to Him and not letting us slacken our allegiance to Him.

What did I pray for? - a warning if I am tempted to go my way instead of His.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Asa made a treaty with Syria, annoyed the Lord and his countrymen suffered for it.

Frances
Dec 1st 2008, 05:29 PM
2 Chronicles 17

What did I learn of God? - He is with those who do their best too please Him, repent when they fail, and whose behaviour encourages others to respect them. Those who respect Him do not make war with His people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I encourage the Lord to be with me by fully intending to please Him and having nothing to do with gods other people's worship? Do I delight in all the Ways of the Lord? Do I do all I can to ensure folk don't worship false gods? Do I do all I can to teach the truth of God and His Word? Do I serve those who serve the Lord?

What did I praise God for? - All those who have taught me His Ways.

What did I pray for? - that I never deviate from His Way.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, worshipped the Lord as David had done.

Frances
Dec 2nd 2008, 05:18 PM
2 Chronicles 18

What did I learn of God? - He speaks through those He can trust to know that His Word is true, and relay what He says accurately. He protects the lives of those He has more work to do for Him on earth.

What did I learn of myself? - Could close relationships with those who don't live to please the Lord lead me into danger? Do I always ask the Lord for advise before making decisions? Am I willing to change my mind if He does not encourage me to proceed as I wanted? Do I always relate God's Word accurately to others? Do I always accept what 'prophets' say? or do I ask the Lord for personal confirmation first? If the Lord uses me prophetically do I ensure what I 'hear' comes from Him before telling anyone else? Nothing can prevent the Lord's Will for my life being manifest.

What did I praise God for? - His Power and Authority over my life is paramount.

What did I pray for? – greater discernment and that the Lord will always be glorified through me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehoshaphat related himself to Ahab and Jezebel by marriage, went to visit him, went to war as his ally, taking no notice of God's warning of impending doom

Frances
Dec 3rd 2008, 05:10 PM
2 Chronicles 19

What did I learn of God? - He is angry with those who act against Him and love those who hate Him - even if they seek to please Him in other ways. He rebukes those He loves, to encourage them to turn wholeheartedly to Him. He notes the attitude of those who have authority over others.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I join forces with those who have no time for the Lord? and/or act against Him? Am I always trying to lead people to the Lord and to honour Him in all they do?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and fore-knowledge.

What did I pray for? - to be aware if I displease the Lord in any way, and the courage to change to please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehoshaphat's reforms after being rebuked by the Lord.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " The believer who seeks revival is not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. While Jehoshaphat remained personally committed to God(18:6) his close association with evil Ahab led to a disastrous military defeat. Later the Israelite princess he married to his son, Athalia, would murder their descendants (22:10). The lesson is a vital one for us."

Frances
Dec 4th 2008, 05:22 PM
2 Chronicles 20

What did I learn of God? - He is completely trustworthy. Those who submit completely to Him have nothing to fear, as He acts on their behalf. Singing His praises seems to complete the pathway of Blessings He intends to give. He gives unexpected Blessings to those who trust Him. If His faithful servants engage in partnerships with those who are un-Godly He will destroy what they hope to achieve.

What did I learn of myself? - When I am afraid or confronted with a problem do I ask the Lord for His Guidance before any other consideration? do I remind myself of (a)His Power and Authority? (b) that no one can stand against Him? (c)that He is my God? (d) of all the amazing things He has done in the past? Do I trust the Lord to ensure His Will is done regarding each difficulty I face, and praise Him for it in advance - whatever the outcome may be? or do I presume God will always do my will? Am I always obedient to the Lord? Am I always obedient to the Lord in every respect? Do I trust Him to be with me always? Do I realise the Lord may not act on my behalf unless I sing His praises first? Am I sufficiently grateful for the unexpected Blessings I receive from the Lord? Am I in partnership with an un-Godly person? if so the partnership is likely to cost me a lot for no gain.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness.

What did I pray for? - to remember all of God's many Blessings to me - starting with His Gift of physical and spiritual life.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Lord defeated Jehoshaphat's enemies because he totally trusted Him to take control - but later discovered it is unwise to be in partnership with an un-Godly person.

Quote (C.S. Lewis) " Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done."

Frances
Dec 5th 2008, 04:24 PM
2 Chronicles 21

What did I learn of God? - He allows unholy alliances even though He knows evil will result. He keeps His Promises. He warns those who displease Him of coming disaster.

What did I learn of myself? - do I take un-Godly partners in business or personal relationships? Do I allow Godly, or un-Godly, people to influence me. Each decision I make will either please, or anger, God - the choice is mine. Do I influence others for good or evil? Will my un-Godly evil cause me future pain? Will those I have authority over grieve for me when I die? Why, or why not?

What did I praise God for? - that although evil incurs a penalty He has made Forgiveness available through repentance and accepting Jesus Christ's payment for my Sin on the cross, through faith.

What did I pray for? - to always do His Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehoram's disastrous reign in Judah as he followed his wife's and in-law's un-Godly lifestyle.

Frances
Dec 6th 2008, 04:45 PM
2 Chronicles 22

What did I learn of God? - No one can escape His Judgments, which may be carried out by people He appoints to that task. He may allow evil to reign until the person of His choice, Saved to do His Will, has grown sufficiently (in age, ability or wisdom).

What did I learn of myself? - Do I heed Godly advise? or the advise of un-Godly family members? Am I prepared to wait, secretly, through years of evil oppression until the Lord makes clear the time He has chosen for action has arrived?

What did I praise God for? - His Timing is always perfect.

What did I pray for? - the patience to wait when necessary.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Ahaziah's reign in Judah, his death; Athalia his mother, killed members of the royal family except the infant Joash, who was hidden by his aunt in the Temple for 6 years while his evil grandmother ruled.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "When we have parents or grandparents who set different courses in life, we can choose which example to follow. Ahaziah chose to be influenced by his mother, he did not have to choose that pathway . . . .
Athaliah must have been an exceptional and forceful woman to have held the throne against all precedent. Yet how insecure is any power gained and exercised by the wicked. "

Frances
Dec 7th 2008, 04:59 PM
2 Chronicles 23

What did I learn of God? - What He says will happen always does so - even if there is a long interval during which it seems impossible for His Word to come true. He fills Hi s people with joy when they do His Will.

What did I learn of myself? - Is my relationship with the Lord strong enough? or should I make every effort to strengthen it? Do I always know when He is speaking to me? do I always obey Him? or don't I trust Him sufficiently to know when it is time to either act or to do nothing? Do I prepare thoroughly for every eventuality? or assume the Lord will protect in spite of my tardiness? Is all power and authority I have come from God? if not, my assuming it will lead to my destruction. Do I rejoice when un-Godliness is defeated?

What did I praise God for? - He always keeps His Promises.

What did I pray for? - that true Godliness will rule this nation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jehoida, the High Priest, crowned Joash king and had Athaliah killed to end her un-Godly rule.

Frances
Dec 8th 2008, 05:20 PM
2 Chronicles 24

What did I learn of God? - He makes available those who will encourage us to live to please Him. He encourages His people to give their money, time, talents etc. to serve Him. He sends people filled with His Spirit to transgressors to encourage them to return to Him. His wrath is on those of His people who turn from Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Just because I was brought up in a Christian home, adhered to Biblical teaching and apparently lived to please God, did not mean I was a Christian. As Jesus said (John 3:3-6+14-18) I had to be Born Again of His Spirit - by repentance and trusting His death and Resurrection to have been in my place – that is the only reason God gives me His Forgiveness. Although, like Joash, I stopped always living to please God when adult, unlike Joash, I eventually heeded those who pointed out the error of my ways, turned back to God in true repentance, to be welcomed with open Arms (you will be too). Do each of my daily choices
reflect my personal commitment to Jesus Christ my Lord?

What did I praise God for? those who prayed for me and encouraged me to return, first to church and then to Jesus Christ my Lord.-

What did I pray for? to be faithful in prayer and encouragement for those known to me outside the Kingdom.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Joash lived a Godly life while Jehoidah was alive, but turned to other gods when he died - incurring God's wrath and retribution.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "We can't tell from a child or young person's early life what the future will hold . . . we need to keep praying that, as they mature, they will develop their own personal and growing faith in God . . . (and) . . . make sure that our choices are guided by a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord" -

Frances
Dec 9th 2008, 04:36 PM
2 Chronicles 25

What did I learn of God? He wants the Godly actions of His people to come from hearts that trust Him. He has Power to help people or act against them. He ensures the arrogance and actions of those who serve other gods contributes to their downfall. He has faithful servants among those who turn from Him to other gods. He gives the leaders faithful to Him all they need.

What did I learn of myself? Are all my actions in worship of God? Do my Godly actions come from a heart totally faithful to Him? Do I abide by God's Laws? Do I abide by God's Word whole-heartedly? or only partially? Do I 'read into' His Word what He never intended? (eg. take part out of context) Do I believe the parts of God's Word I like and ignore what doesn't please me? Do I allow myself to be led away from the Lord? Are those whose advise I seek true worshippers of the Lord? Am I boastful and therefore foolish? Would those who truly follow the Lord conspire with, or against, me? Would such knowledge influence my actions? -

What did I praise God for? - His Power and His help.-

What did I pray for? - encouragement to be totally faithful to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Amaziah's reign in Judah and death.

Quote (Lawrence O. Richards) " A brief early flare of faith is no substitute for lifelong commitment. Our only protection from potential disaster is consistent, daily, commitment to the Lord."-

Frances
Dec 10th 2008, 05:06 PM
2 Chronicles 26

What did I learn of God? He ensures those who seek to do His Will please Him. He does not honour those who do what He has not authorised them to do. He
takes each person's attitude of heart into consideration as well as their actions.

What did I learn of myself? do My thoughts and actions please the Lord? Do I always thank Him for each Blessing I receive? eg. the food I am able to eat in-spite of multiple allergies, the determination and ability to walk and work (within my limitations) in spite of weak and fractured bones. Am I in danger of pride in my position, ability or power? if so it could lead to my downfall with disastrous results(eg. when I allow myself to forget my body is no longer strong enough to do all I would like to). I will only succeed while I am committed to the Lord.-

What did I praise God for? the boundaries He imposes.-

What did I pray for? Wisdom to know my limitations.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Uzziah's 52 year reign in Judah and the penalty for his pride.

Note:- Past commitment to the Lord but present pride in Self are disastrous.-

Frances
Dec 11th 2008, 04:27 PM
2 Chronicles 27

What did I learn of God? - He acts with those who seek, and take, His advise.-

What did I learn of myself? - Does all I do please the Lord? Do I meet with the Lord's people regularly? I am responsible for my actions, but not for the actions of others (eg. I'm responsible for telling them God's Way but not for what they do about it). I must ensure I do not follow the un-Godly actions of others.-

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to Guide His people.-

What did I pray for? - a greater desire to meet with His people.-

What is this saying in one sentence? - (:16)"Jothan became mighty because he prepared his ways before the Lord his God".

Frances
Dec 12th 2008, 04:59 PM
2 Chronicles 28

What did I learn of God? He may help or hinder His people according to their faithfulness to Him, or lack of it. He speaks to His people through His prophets (it is usually about what they are doing to offend Him). He may humiliate a nation purporting to worship Him but, in fact, worshipping other gods.

What did I learn of myself? Do my thoughts and actions please the Lord? or do I allow myself to be influenced by those not fully committed to Him? Are my words and actions dictated by God? Am I willing to say what may cause offence if God tells me to? Do I give my time, effort and/or money to what does not please the Lord and so become increasingly unfaithful to Him? -

What did I praise God for? Giving some of those faithful to Him the boldness to say unpalatable things He is saying to His people.-

What did I pray for? Discernment of Godly and un-Godly prophets.

What is this saying in on sentence? (:19)"The Lord brought Judah low because of Ahaz King of Israel, for he had encouraged moral decline in Judah and had been continually unfaithful to the Lord."

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)"Under the pressure of troubles, humans tend to reveal what is in their hearts. The believer is drawn closer to the Lord, the unbeliever turns against Him in anger."

Frances
Dec 13th 2008, 05:25 PM
2 Chronicles 29

What did I learn of God? He is Holy. He is able to work in the hearts of those whose forebears have been unfaithful, and encourage loyalty to Him. He may bring Revival very suddenly, into any heart or any nation. He responds to renewed faith by acting on behalf of those who worship Him. He deserves the best His people can give.-

What did I learn of myself? Is my desire to 'cleanse the House of the Lord' - beginning with myself? Do I encourage others to worship God in Spirit and Truth. Do I rise early to worship the Lord, knowing singing His praises revitalises me? Do I pray for the Salvation of those who not only worship other gods themselves, but encourage other folk to as well? Do I consecrate myself to the Lord in song? or sing to please myself? Do I give thank offerings to the Lord - expecting nothing in return? Am I diligent in being fully committed to the Lord? Is worshipping Him, in every area of my life, my first priority?

What did I praise God for? The Revival He brings to individuals, areas, and nations.

What did I pray for? to be constantly aware of any impurity in my heart.

What is this saying in one sentence? Hezekiah becomes King of Judah, cleanses the Temple and restores Temple worship.

Quote:- (Canon Frederic Donaldson)
"The seven deadly Sins are politics without principles; pleasures without conscience; Wealth without work; knowledge without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."-

Frances
Dec 14th 2008, 04:54 PM
2 Chronicles 30

What did I learn of God? He is Gracious and Merciful to those who return to Him, desiring to please Him and, to their determination to please Him He adds zeal.

What did I learn of myself? Am I willing to give up my present habits, if necessary, to fulfill God's Word? Do I tell those who have turned away from the Lord of His offer of Forgiveness through Jesus Christ? Am I zealous to remove all evil from my neighbourhood? Do I give my time and money in worship of the Lord? Do I encourage those who teach God's Word in Spirit and Truth? Does worshipping the Lord encourage me to be zealous for Him?

What did I praise God for? His Mercy and Grace.

What did I pray for? the wisdom to know how to use the zeal He gives effectively.

What is this saying in one sentence? Hezekiah not only kept the Passover for his own people but tried to persuade those in Israel to attend as well, so they might also receive His Forgiveness - and those who did, then destroyed pagan shrines in their own land.

Frances
Dec 15th 2008, 04:43 PM
2 Chronicles 31

What did I learn of God? - When His people adhere to His Word He Blesses them.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I faithful to God and His Word? Does my failure to give a tithe for God's Work mean someone goes hungry or suffers in some way? and does it mean I am unable to receive the Blessings the Lord wants to give me? Is my name written in the Lord's Book of Life? if not, I will not be able to receive His Blessings. Is everything I do, to learn more of God and in His service, done with all my heart?

What did I praise God for? - Wanting to Bless His people.

What did I pray for? - Greater awareness of what, and to whom, He wants me to give towards His Work.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Hezekiah encouraged the people to worship God in every way.

Frances
Dec 16th 2008, 05:29 PM
2 Chronicles 32

What did I learn of God? - He gives wisdom to those who trust in Him and seek His Will. He humbles those who malign Him, in answer to prayer. Pride encourages His Wrath, humility His Peace. He may withdraw from those who serve Him to test the attitude of their heart.

What did I learn of myself? - My faithfulness to God does not guarantee me a happy, healthy, peaceful, prosperous life. Do I pray fervently for the safety of myself and others? Am I "strong and courageous and not afraid or dismayed" by possible pain? Do I trust the Lord to be with me to fight my battles? In what, who, do I trust? Do I pay most attention to present circumstances or the wisdom and Power of Almighty God? Do my actions, my trust in God in the face of adversity, encourage others to exalt Him and to give Him gifts? Have free Gifts the Lord has given me made me proud? Do I humble myself before Him? I would do well to remember that if God seems to leave me, it is to test what is in my heart.

What did I praise God for? - His reaction to fervent prayer.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom, and to always "keep my eyes upon Jesus (then) the things of the earth will grow strangely dim . . . ".

What is this saying in one sentence? - Sennacherib's boastfulness and humility; Hezekiah's wisdom, humility, wealth and honour.

Frances
Dec 17th 2008, 05:47 PM
2 Chronicles 33

What did I learn of God? He is provoked to anger towards those who worship false gods - eg. those involved in worshipping images and angels, soothsaying, witchcraft, sorcery, consulting mediums and spiritists. If His people don't heed His warnings He sends calamities to them, to encourage them to turn back to Him. He acknowledges genuine repentance.

What did I learn of myself? have I ever worshipped anything/anyone apart from the Lord? Have I been involved with horoscopes? homeopathy? pendulums? or other New age "medication"? witchcraft? mediums or spiritists? If so, have I turned back to God determined never to indulge in them again? If not God is waiting for my heartfelt repentance. If I have led anyone from the Lord I must undo the harm I've done and lead them back to Him. Calamities may (but not by any means necessarily) be due to my unrepentant heart. Those descended from me may well be involved in the same Sins I have committed in the past.

What did I praise God for? His Forgiveness.-

What did I pray for? thanksgiving for His Mercy and Forgiveness.-

What is this saying in one sentence? Manasseh's Sin, repentance, humility and death, also Amon's 2 year reign and death.

Quote:- (David Mains) "some leaders say we are in a great revival right now. If we are . . . I ask where are the tears? What's happening to the intense spirit of conviction that always marks such things? Why are the converts coming in trickles instead of waves? . . . We are not in revival, although we may be closer to it's possibility than we realise."-

Frances
Dec 18th 2008, 05:11 PM
2 Chronicles 34

What did I learn of God? He curses those, and their descendants, who forsake Him to worship other gods. He honours those who turn to Him in repentance and faith determined to please Him.
-
What did I learn of myself? Was I, as a child, eager to please the Lord? and be faithful to those who encouraged me? As a teenager was I zealous to please Him? Did my zeal continue when I was older? Did I, later, read and understand the Word of God and how evil I was in His sight? Did I then make a Covenant with the Lord to keep His Commandments, Laws and decrees with all my heart and soul? Did I accept Christ's Sacrifice in my place? Do I encourage others to worship God in spirit and truth?-

What did I praise God for? His Goodness to those who turn to Him in repentance and faith.-

What did I pray for? encouragement to always be faithful to Him (perhaps with the point of a spear, if necessary, like King Harold encouraged his troops?)-

What is this saying in one sentence? Josiah, the boy king, and his faithfulness to God.

Note:- It is possible for one person who truly repents and endeavors to please God to affect a whole generation.-

WaitingforHim
Dec 19th 2008, 01:26 AM
Josiah was only 8 years old and began to seek after God. I thought back to my own childhood.. not the happiest of times in many ways for me.

But in the midst of all that darkness, the Lord was stirring my heart to seek Him. I remember at about the age of 8 or 9.. maybe 10 asking for a Bible story book for Christmas. It was a huge thick volume.. hardbound with a red cover.. by a man named Victor Hurlbert.. I think that was his name. Anyway, I still have it. It is the only thing that I have from my childhood.

How gracious is our Lord to pursue us at a young age. My story is different from Josiah. I did not find the Lord in saving faith until much later in life.. but I look back in gratitude for the way He set His love on me even then.. when I was so young, so afraid, so angry, so sad.

I am new here so I hope this is okay to post.. but thanks for sharing this study on Chronicles.

WaitingforHim:bible:

Frances
Dec 19th 2008, 05:23 PM
2 Chronicles 35

What did I learn of God? He doesn't only speak to, and through, those committed to Him.

What did I learn of myself? do I always do what pleases the Lord? or do I neglect to do what will be costly to me? If I am openly generous others will be infected by my enthusiasm and respond as I do. Do I choose my battles wisely? Do I always seek the Lord's Will before fighting others? If I automatically assume those who don't adhere to God's Word are wrong and fight them, I may find I am fighting against God Himself. If I ever say God told me to do something when He didn't I am in a very dangerous situation.

What did I praise God for? Having servants in unlikely places.-

What did I pray for? - that I never fight against Him.-

What is this saying in one sentence? - Josiah keeps the Passover, and his death in battle.-

Frances
Dec 20th 2008, 05:07 PM
2 Chronicles 36

What did I learn of God? He warns His people of coming Judgment when they try His Compassion and Patience too far causing Him to be angry. When His warnings are ignored once too often He punishes His people, so they will turn back to Him. He Judges children too. What He says through His prophets (eg. Jeremiah) will happen. His Judgment on leaders falls on their people too. He speaks to, and through, those who don't worship Him in Spirit and Truth.

What did I learn of myself?- Do I face difficulties because all my words and actions do not please the Lord? Did my childhood please, or displease, the Lord? Have I mocked God's messengers and despise His Word through them? If so, it's not too late to turn back to Him in repentance and faith . When I am true to the Lord He works through non-Christians for my benefit.

What did I praise God for? always keeping His Word and never forsaking His people.

What did I pray for? to always follow the Lord and only heed those who are faithful to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? the reigns of Jehoahaz, Jehoiakim, Jehoiachin and Zedekiah in Judah, and the Proclamation of Cyrus in Persia.-