PDA

View Full Version : "The end will come like a flood" (daniel 9) - will it not?

immortality
Nov 1st 2008, 02:46 AM
whenever i read the book of revelation from beginning to end in one sitting, it never fails to leave me utterly intrigued. in fact, it seems to shake my preconceived eschatoligical beliefs every time.

the following text, revelation 16:15, is mentioned after the description of "the beast out of the sea", "the beast out of the earth", etc:

"See, I am coming like a thief. How blessed is the person who remains alert and keeps his clothes on! He won't have to go naked and let others see his shame."

it seems jesus finds it necessary to once again remind the reader that in spite of all the apparent events and "signs" just previously mentioned in the earlier chapters, that he is still going to arrive unexpectedly upon humanity.

this would seem to suggest, to me at least, that the climax of things will transpire profoundly different than what mainstream christian media has portrayed.

is it possible the common sensationalistic and dramatic end time depictions are nothing more than a deception from satan himself? is it possible satan wants people to anticipate future events (receiving of a physical chip/mark, implementation of a new world order, etc) in order to promote spiritual lukewarmness?

it seems as though the common mindset among many individuals is that being currently spiritually prepared is not necessarily mandatory, as there will be certain distinct and definitive events that will occur signaling the end is near. the church of laodicea would of course never openly profess to have such an outlook, but it is undoubtedly there, embedded in its subconscious mind. jesus said it would be.

crush
Nov 1st 2008, 03:08 PM
it seems jesus finds it necessary to once again remind the reader that in spite of all the apparent events and "signs" just previously mentioned in the earlier chapters, that he is still going to arrive unexpectedly upon humanity.

I think that the whole purpose of making yourself aware of the "events and signs" is so that day doesn't come unexpectedly. It comes unexpectedly on those that aren't aware of the "events and signs"

1Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Rev 3:3 ....If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Richard H
Nov 1st 2008, 03:27 PM
I agree with Crush.
I also think we (if we’re in ‘the time’), will see tremendous deception.
Some will be due to superficial portrayals of the end and even false expectations.
There is an infiltration of darkness into the church as we are taught to run after prosperity and such.

Mostly, we see through the glass “darkly”, so we must stay alert and pliable to the Spirit’s leading when it comes to interpretation of Scripture.

IOW: we may only recognize things to come - when they actually come.

A through knowledge of Scripture and a basic knowledge of red-flags, should be enough.

ross3421
Nov 2nd 2008, 07:09 AM
"See, I am coming like a thief. How blessed is the person who remains alert and keeps his clothes on! He won't have to go naked and let others see his shame."

The general is true that we must prepared and watch. I see a current application in that we are to study, pray ect...... as we do not know when our last day may be on earth. When every one dies I would assume afterwards it will be as night and then God will come upon us either as a thief to kill and destroy (2nd death) as we are naked upon the judgment or we will be taken not by a thief but by a father and we keep our clothes on at the judgment.

However there is also a future day application here. Those upon the earth if they new the signs would now the very day before Christ would appear the second time however they are lost and blind.

So why would his coming be unexpectantly?

Christ will appear when the moon, stars and sun are in a state of change. These are the instruments which we used to measure time though they have been done away. This is why know one knows the day nor the hour. So imagine the time when the sun is blackened the moon is blood and the stars fall and the inhabitants are "running for the hills" and Christ is about to return at a given time (ie unexpectantly) upon them as a thief at a time which God himself only knows.

Mark