PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Question

Derek Bixler
Nov 1st 2008, 07:17 PM
I was recently asked a question that I was unsure on how to answer. This girl asked me why even though she prayed fervently for God to heal her brother while he was sick, he still ended up dieing and her prayers went unanswered.

What I told her at the time was that God's plan for us are bigger and better than anything we could ever imagine, even though we may not understand it sometimes.

Does anybody have a response to this question with scripture to back it up?

David Taylor
Nov 1st 2008, 07:40 PM
the Lord isn't like a genie in a bottle, waiting for us to ask for wishes to grant.

He is sovereign over us and He knows what is best in situations we can't understand with our limited, finite understanding.

I'm sure the death of John the Baptist or Stephen were very sorrowful and difficult for their relatives, but God had a reason and plan beyond their knowledge at the time.

Maybe this worse will help her:
Romans 8:28 "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. "

MercyChild
Nov 1st 2008, 08:12 PM
Dear friend

Have you ever lost someone?

It is a very painfull experience.

One thing which I have learned, is one of the steps of grieving is that you start asking God questions. It is hard to understand anything when we grieve.

Sometimes we ask God why loose someone?, but if we should just change our view, and remember that the loved one has past and is now safely in the arms of a loving father, what then is the best for that person, especially if we know that they have died in Christ.

Someone once told me that we may not understand everything while on earth, but the Word says in a short time, we will know all the answers.

All you can do for this girl is listen, comfort and just be there for her.

σяєяυииєя
Nov 1st 2008, 11:34 PM
Hello Derek,

You know there a certain conditions under which promises are given/fulfilled.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. James 1 :6,7

Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. Matthew 21:21

Seems to be a matter of faith, and of the will of God.

The Lord bless you.

OldChurchGuy
Nov 2nd 2008, 10:31 PM
I was recently asked a question that I was unsure on how to answer. This girl asked me why even though she prayed fervently for God to heal her brother while he was sick, he still ended up dieing and her prayers went unanswered.

What I told her at the time was that God's plan for us are bigger and better than anything we could ever imagine, even though we may not understand it sometimes.

Does anybody have a response to this question with scripture to back it up?

I agree with Linda Steyn's response. There is no simple answer to why a loved one passes on after prayer. One can argue that the prayer was answered in that the person is no longer suffering but that response may not be comforting to the grieving person.

So, be there for the person, listen to them, and minister to their needs as best you can.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy