PDA

View Full Version : Studying 1 Samuel Chapter 3

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 02:41 AM
We are doing a study on 1 Samuel chapter 3 for my understanding scripture class this week. Below is the questions that my pastor gave for us to answer on this.

I have been busy this week so this evening is the first time I've been able to work on this. I tried answering all of the questions that I could, but I am stuck on some of them. Would someone help me with the questions that I don't know and look over the answers that I do have to see if they are correct? I put my answers in bold and I have put the questions that I don't know in red.

I have until Tuesday evening to get this finished. I will work on this some more Monday and Tuesday to see if I can get the answers myself. But I would like some help -- especially on the questions where you have to compare and contrast.

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 02:53 AM
Verse 1
1Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the LORD before Eli And word from the LORD was rare in those days, visions were infrequent.

Verse 2
It happened at that time as Eli was lying down in his place (now his eyesight had begun to grow dim and he could not see well),

Verse 3
and the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the LORD where the ark of God was,

1. Who are the three characters introduced in this passage?
Samuel -- Lord -- Eli

2. In what order do these characters appear?
Samuel -- Lord -- Eli

3. How is Samuel described?
As a boy

4. What name for God is specifically used in this passage?
Lord

5. What theological or social office does Eli represent?

6. How is this era or time period described?

7. What phrase is verse 2 indicates that time has passed?
his eyesight had begun to grow dim and he could not see well

8. What is Eli doing in verse 2? Lying down Does this suggest what time of the day it may be? Yes -- night time

9. What specific description does the narrator offer about Eliís eyes in verse 2?
His eyesight begun to grow dim

10. Note the relationship in the descriptions:
a. How have the times or the era been described in verse 1? Eli was a boy
b. How are Eliís eyes described in verse 2?
His eyesight was getting bad due to aging.

11. What happened to the lamp of God in verse 3?
It had not gone out.

12. How does this relate to verse 1 and verse 2? Observe the emerging theme of darkness?

13. Notice how space or setting is shaped in verse 2 - where does Eli lay down?
In his place

14. In verse 3, what space or place does calling attention to the lamp of God refer to?
in the temple of the LORD where the ark of God was

15. What action describes Samuel in verse 3?
He was lying down

16. Observe the grammatical relationship in verse 1, remember the character order. Now what order of characters is present in verse 2-3? Eli -- God -- Samuel
Who is at the center of both accounts?
God

17. In verses 1-3, how many times does the Name "Lord" appear in this section? 3

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:03 AM
Verse 4
that the LORD called Samuel; and he said, "Here I am."

Verse 5
Then he ran to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call, lie down again." So he went and lay down.

18. What does the Lord do in Verse 4?
Called Samuel

19. How does Samuel respond?
Samuel said "Here I am"

20. Who does Samuel run to in verse 5? Eli
What does Samuel say? Here I am, for you called me

21. How does Eli respond? I did not call, lie down again.
What does he tell Samuel to do? He went and laid down

22. How many times does the name Lord appear in this section?
Once

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:12 AM
Verse 6
The LORD called yet again, "Samuel!" So Samuel arose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he answered, "I did not call, my son, lie down again."

Verse 7
Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, nor had the word of the LORD yet been revealed to him.

23. What does the Lord do in verse 6? He called Samuel again

24. How does Samuel respond? Samuel arose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me."

25. How does Eli respond? Eli told Samuel that he did not call him and for him to go lie down again.

26. How are the events in verse 6 like verses 4 and 5? The Lord called Samuel and he went to Eli

27. How are they different?

28. What commentary note does the narrator insert in verse to
explain this situation?

29. Relate verse 7 to verse 1 - what relationship do you see?

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:24 AM
Verse 8
So the LORD called Samuel again for the third time. And he arose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you called me." Then Eli discerned that the LORD was calling the boy.

Verse 9
And Eli said to Samuel, "Go lie down, and it shall be if He calls you, that you shall say, 'Speak, LORD, for Your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

30. What does the Lord do in verse 8? The Lord called Samuel for the third time

31. How is this report the same as verse 4 and verse 6? The Lord called Samuel and Samuel arose

32. What exactly did the Lord say in each of these verses?

33. How does Samuel respond?
Samuel rose and went to Eli and said Here I am, for you called me.

34. How does Eli respond?
Eli realizes that the Lord was calling the boy

35. What commentary does the narrator provide about Eliís thoughts and perceptions?

36. What instructions does Eli give to Samuel in verse 9?
Eli told Samuel to go lie down and if the Lord calls Samuel, he should say : Speak for your servant is listening.

37. What does Samuel say in response?

38. What does Samuel do in verse 9?
He goes and lays down in his place

39. How many times does the Name ďLordĒ appear in this section?
Twice

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:33 AM
Verse 10
Then the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for Your servant is listening."

40. What does the Lord now do in verse 10?
He can and stood and called like He did at other times

41. How is this different from the previous three scenes?

42. What is similar?
He called out to Samuel

43. What does the Lord specifically say this time?
Samuel

44. How many times is Samuel’s name spoken in verse 10?
Three

45. What does Samuel say in response?
He tells the Lord to speak because he was listening

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:34 AM
Analyze: relate or compare the first three rounds in the calling scenes:

A. What had Samuel done before? What does he do now?

B. What had Samuel said? What does he say now?

C. What had Eli told Samuel to say in verse 9? What does Samuel
actually say in verse 10?

D. What is missing in Samuel’s response - verse 10? How does this relate to verse 7?

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 03:49 AM
Verse 11
The LORD said to Samuel, "Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel at which both ears of everyone who hears it will tingle.

Verse 12
"In that day I will carry out against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from beginning to end.

Verse 13
"For I have told him that I am about to judge his house forever for the iniquity which he knew, because his sons brought a curse on themselves and he did not rebuke them.

Verse 14
"Therefore I have sworn to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be atoned for by sacrifice or offering forever."

47. What does the Lord reveal to Samuel? Verses 11-14
That He will do something to Israel to get there attention

A. What emotional reaction describes what will happen to Israel? Verse 11
Everyone will be surprised

B. Who will be the subject of the Lord’s action? Verse 12
Eli and his family

C. Why will Eli and his house (family) be judged? Verse 13
Because Eli’s sons brought a curse on themselves and Eli did not rebuke it

D. What does God tell Samuel that Eli knows? verse 13

E. How have Eli’s sons been acting? Verse 13

F. What had Eli done about his sons? Verse 13
Nothing

G. What had the Lord sworn to Eli? Verse 14
That Eli’s house couldn’t be atoned for sacrifice or offering forever

H. What two theological terms or concepts are present in verse 14?

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 04:08 AM
Verse 15
So Samuel lay down until morning. Then he opened the doors of the house of the LORD But Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli.

Verse 16
Then Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son." And he said, "Here I am."

Verse 17
He said, "What is the word that He spoke to you? Please do not hide it from me. May God do so to you, and more also, if you hide anything from me of all the words that He spoke to you."

Verse 18
So Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. And he said, "It is the LORD; let Him do what seems good to Him."

Verse 19
Thus Samuel grew and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fail.

48. What three things does Samuel do in verse 15?
He laid down until morning
He opened the doors of the house of the Lord
??????

49. What phrase indicates that time has passed in verse 15?
Samuel laid down until morning

50. Relate verse 1 and verse 15: how does the word, “vision” make an impact on readers?

51. What does Eli do in verse 16?
Eli called out to Samuel

a. How is this similar to verses 2-9
b. How is it different from verses 2-9?

52. What does Samuel say in verse 16?
Samuel says “Here I am”

a. How is this similar to verses 2-9
b. How is it different from verses 2-9?

53. Describe what Eli says to Samuel - what tone or emphasis does Eli add to ensure he gets a true response?

54. How does the narrator summarize the events of verses 10-14 in one statement verses 18?

55. What is Eli’s response? Verse 19

56. How many times does the Name “Lord” appear in this section?
Seven

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 2nd 2008, 04:17 AM
Verse 19
Thus Samuel grew and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fail.

Verse 20
All Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was confirmed as a prophet of the LORD.

Verse 21
And the LORD appeared again at Shiloh, because the LORD revealed Himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the LORD.

57. How is the narrator’s presence again observed in verses 19-21?

58. How does this compare to verse 1? To verses 2-3? To verse 7?

59. How is this different from verses 4-18?

60. What does the narrator conclude about Samuel?

61. What specifically is told about the word in verse 19? How might this relate (contrast) to verse 1?

62. What commentary is offered about Samuel’s fame in verse 20?

63. How has verse 11 prepared for verse 20?

64. How was Samuel described in
a. verse 1 -- young boy
b. verse 8 -- boy

65. How is Samuel described in verse 20? As a prophet

66. How had the Lord revealed Himself to Samuel in verse 21? by the word of the LORD

67. How does this particular ending verse (v. 21) contrast to the initial description of the times in verse 1?

68. How many times does the Name “Lord” appear in this section?
Four

Teke
Nov 3rd 2008, 01:47 PM
Hi LBF, I'll try to answer some of your questions. :)

5. What theological or social office does Eli represent?

Eli represents the office of priesthood, as he is a priest. Samuel represents the prophet in relation to that.

6. How is this era or time period described?

Because of the absence of clear vision, God's word had become "very" precious.
This time period is when Israel is moving from a theocracy governed by God-appointed judges to a monarchy ruled by a king.

12. How does this relate to verse 1 and verse 2? Observe the emerging theme of darkness?

What is the "this" the question refers to. The lamp or Eli. Eli's eyes were growing heavy as he was falling asleep. While this can relate to him and the manner he kept the priests office, in that he didn't do anything about his wicked sons, it doesn't relate to the lamp. As in the face of wickedness God's light still shines on. Which is why it is written, "before the lamp went out...the Lord called to Samuel".

*Living~By~Faith*
Nov 5th 2008, 03:01 AM
I didn't figure out the answers to all of these questions, but I asked someone in the class tonight if she'd be my study partner as well as my spiritual mentor. I had wanted to ask her for awhile, but she's been out of church for a few weeks due to having surgery on her ankle. I have her email address so I'll contact her that way to discuss the questions that I don't know the answer to.

We did go over the first section of questions in class tonight. But that's all we got to.