PDA

View Full Version : I & II Timothy, Titus

OldChurchGuy
Nov 2nd 2008, 10:42 PM
Just curious if there is any proof as to who wrote I Timothy, II Timothy, and Titus?

Understand, I realize these writings say they are written by Paul but I recently came across some arguments questioning if Paul wrote these three epistles.

I also understand one can have faith that Paul wrote these. Just curious if there is any proof.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

σяєяυииєя
Nov 3rd 2008, 12:30 AM
Hi OldChurchGuy,

Searching just found 2 different ideas:

>Rev. Dr. Hooykaas: "Fourteen epistles are said to be Paul's; but we must at once strike off one, namely, that to the Hebrews, which does not bear his name at all.... The two letters to Timothy and the letter to Titus were certainly composed long after the death of Paul.... It is more than possible that the letters to the Ephesians and Colossians are also unauthentic, and the same suspicion rests, perhaps, on the first, but certainly on the second of the Epistles to the Thessalonians" (Bible for Learners, Vol. III, p. 23).

>Paul most certainly wrote all the books which bear his name including both of the epistles to Timothy. If one would simply read all of Paul's epistles right through from start to finish, including these there would be no noticeable difference that would lead to any skeptical conclusion.

The only reason for doubting these as being Pauline, is ever the reason for casting doubt upon the infallible word of God. It is the words which echo from the tempter in Eden 'hath God said.'

As for me, the first couple of verses of 1 Timothy 1 are enough.

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Go well

apothanein kerdos
Nov 3rd 2008, 12:56 AM
Paul wrote them. There really aren't any good arguments against it being his authorship. For one, it is a personal letter - if it was written by someone to someone else, this certainly would have left some confusion on the part of the recipient. Secondly, the argument on the dates is absurd as there's no evidence that these come from a later date. Third, and final, the argument on the style doesn't pass muster either as the three epistles all have the same writing style as Paul, but are slightly different in that their intention and audience are different.

It's like reading Grudem's Systematic Theology and then his Bible Theology - both are by the same author, but have different styles due to the audience and subject matter.