PDA

View Full Version : Where are we at in this parable?

cwb
Nov 3rd 2008, 01:00 PM
Matthew 22

And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
3And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
4Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
5But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
6And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
7But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
8Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
9Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
10So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
11And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
13Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 14For many are called, but few are chosen

I personally feel we are at the place of the part I highlighted. What say you?

markedward
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:53 PM
So... you're saying you believe that the parable is an analogy of a chronological order of events, of sorts? (I agree.)

What do you think the earlier parts of the parable refer to, then, if verses 6-10 refer to the, well, spreading of the gospel? Or what do you think of the later parts?

cwb
Nov 3rd 2008, 09:57 PM
So... you're saying you believe that the parable is an analogy of a chronological order of events, of sorts? (I agree.)

What do you think the earlier parts of the parable refer to, then, if verses 6-10 refer to the, well, spreading of the gospel? Or what do you think of the later parts?

I believe verses 1-7 are referring to Israel. Israel's leadership as a whole rejected their saviour so the gospel went out, and still is going out, to the gentiles and anybody in Israel who would accept Him (verses 8-10). I believe verses 11- 13 is referring to the return of Christ and the wedding garment refers to the Holy Spirit.

Richard H
Nov 3rd 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree CWB.
All of Israel was invited, but they were not interested.

In a sense we are now the ones who are to invite, but in this parable, we are the good and the bad (and in my case - the ugly :rolleyes:).

Having accepted the invitation, we are to put on Christ (Rom 13:14).
'His righteousness - not our own.

ross3421
Nov 3rd 2008, 11:26 PM
Matthew 22

The verse 10 highlighted is the resurrection so we are in verse 9 heading towards 10.

ross3421
Nov 3rd 2008, 11:36 PM

Verse 9 would be spreading the gospel to the gentiles. The good must have already heard the gospel and were saved as we know there is not one good no not one.......

Literalist-Luke
Nov 4th 2008, 02:35 AM
I personally feel we are at the place of the part I highlighted. What say you?I'll get even more specific and say we're at verse 10. :thumbsup:

Gods Child
Nov 4th 2008, 03:19 AM
What is this? 9Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. This I believe would be preaching the Gospel...bid them to marriage (salvation).

What is this? 10So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.…What does it mean the wedding was furnished with guests? The question then is...Has the wedding already accrued?

Rev 19 tells us of the Marriage Supper. What is a Marriage Supper. A Marriage supper is typically a reception that happens after the Marriage.

If we look at a normal wedding:
The Bride & Groom are married when they said “I Do”. Then they go to the Marriage Supper (Reception). I personally think each one of us became Married to Christ the moment we said “I Do” (saved) and we are now awaiting the Marriage Supper (Reception).

The Moment each one of us were saved, we were saying “I do”… At that time we became, One with Christ (as in Married to Christ). As with any wedding, after the Marriage, it is then followed by the Marriage Supper. I believe that it is the Marriage Supper (reception) we are now awaiting.

I believe that we (saved) have fulfilled verse 10. We were Married to Christ when we were saved and the wedding was furnished

ross3421
Nov 4th 2008, 03:56 AM
I'll get even more specific and say we're at verse 10. :thumbsup:

The verse 10 highlighted is the resurrection so we are in verse 9 heading towards 10.

John146
Nov 4th 2008, 09:35 PM
Matthew 22

I personally feel we are at the place of the part I highlighted. What say you?I agree. The highways refer to the nations of the world. Last I checked, we are still bringing the gospel to the world.

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 5th 2008, 03:19 AM
Matthew 22The Parable of the Wedding Banquet
10So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
14"For many are invited, but few are chosen."
Verse 10 referred to Gentiles...
Luke 14
The Parable of the Great Banquet
15When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, "Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God."
23"Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 24I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.' "

mfowler12
Nov 6th 2008, 07:35 PM
Matthew 22

I say that if there is a huge gap between verses 10 and 11, why couldn't their not be a gap between the Rapture and Tribulation. Another topic for another thread though. :)

That is very interesting and an excellent parable. I also believe we are at the part where God's servants are bringing in the Gentiles.

IBWatching
Nov 6th 2008, 10:05 PM
Matthew 22...I personally feel we are at the place of the part I highlighted. What say you?

We're between the time the city was destroyed and the wedding is ready. Currently there are no slaves being sent out to call wedding feast guests. The Bride is being called. Until she is completely prepared, there can be no wedding. And without a wedding first, there is no wedding feast.

Richard H
Nov 6th 2008, 10:15 PM
This is something this thread should be aware of - (all the body - for that matter).

You may not have seen it, because it is in the Dreams & Visions Forum.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1857332#post1857332

Go to the OP.

Ignore my lil' pho-pa.

mfowler12
Nov 6th 2008, 10:55 PM
I cannot view that thread.

Can anybody post the topics and comments here?