PDA

View Full Version : Please Help NIV - wanting to buy basic and study bibles

ServantofTruth
Nov 3rd 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone, this is especially for those of you who are very knowledgeable in bibles, but also for anyone who has bought one lately, even better if they are in the UK/ England like me.

For my daily reading with my 3 teenage children, i have decided to start using the NIV from January 1st, 2009. Please no discussions here - i've already don't that on other topics and have made a firm decision.

1. The first thing i need help with is - bible translations are sometimes updated as they are reprinted. As someone who knows nothing of these things - has the NIV been updated recently with recent study added?

2. With the basic bibles, for my children - has anyone bought one recently and if so how much did it cost. You could private message from where? - as we don't want to advertise on topic. My christian bookshop has soft cover NIVs for 6.99, I'd prefer hardback as they would hopefully last a little longer?

3. More importantly for those with greater knowledge perhaps? - with the NIV study bible, is there only one official NIV study bible or various NIV study bibles with the extensive footnotes done by different people? If so, in your opinion which is best.

4. If anyone has bought an NIV Study bible recently - how much are they - again my local shop has one for 29.99, but is dated 2002 and i wounder if there is a more up to date one, whether this edition has been updated by the same people? or a different newer version by someone else?

I know from experience how kind everyone is with sharing their expert or personal experience on bibles. Thank you for reading and being prepared to help/ advise me. God bless, Softy.

Ps. Sorry i have been unable to be as active on the forums recently. With moving house, half term schools, etc time is precious. However this topic is important to me, so i will pop in regularly to share. Paul.

TrustGzus
Nov 3rd 2008, 01:25 PM
1) The NIV was last updated in 1984. It will never be updated again. All updating will be done to the TNIV.

2) Don't know the British equivalent. What about amazon UK? Amazon's USA prices are very good.

3)The notes are done by various people of great reputation and diverse backgrounds.

4) The 2002 is pretty current. However, they just released a 30th anniversary edition (http://www.amazon.com/NIV-Study-Bible-30th-Anniversary/dp/0310611229) this year. Christianbook.com or maybe amazon UK will have it.

ServantofTruth
Nov 3rd 2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the quick reply - may i ask what the TNIV is?

Do you mean the notes are done by different people - but there is only 1 NIV study bible, or do you mean different people have produced their own study bibles based on the NIV translation?

Thank you also for the link, i'll look at Amazon UK and other similar sites. No preference, accept the one that's cheapest!!! SofTy.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 3rd 2008, 05:18 PM

Do you mean the notes are done by different people - but there is only 1 NIV study bible, or do you mean different people have produced their own study bibles based on the NIV translation?

Thank you also for the link, i'll look at Amazon UK and other similar sites. No preference, accept the one that's cheapest!!! SofTy.I own a TNIV Study Bible and it's the best Bible I've ever owned. TNIV stands for "Todays' New International Version". The translators have been gone over the NIV with a fine toothcomb and the latest scholarship/archeological discoveries of texts have been applied in making sure the translation is the most accurate they can get it. The result is the TNIV.

In addition, they took all the maps/charts/study notes from the NIV Study Bible and went over them as well - numerous updates were added, plus there are more of each one.

Think of it as the "NIV Study Bible 2.0". It is the only place where you will find updating done by the official commitees/publisher that were also responsible for the NIV. If you're committed to NIV, I highly recommend TNIV.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 3rd 2008, 05:23 PM
Here is some basic information from their official website:

http://www.tniv.com/index.php?page=about&name=what

And if you want more details, here is the official introduction at the front of the TNIV Bible itself:

http://www.tniv.info/bible/preface.php

ServantofTruth
Nov 3rd 2008, 07:16 PM
Come on guys play fair! Are people still using the NIV or will everyone eventually read TodaysNIV? The bible mine field strikes again.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SofTy. :rofl:

Emanate
Nov 3rd 2008, 08:05 PM
Think of it as the "NIV Study Bible 2.0".

It is funny how computers shape our every day thought and understanding. Sometimes I wish I could just control z.

tt1106
Nov 3rd 2008, 08:11 PM
Come on guys play fair! Are people still using the NIV or will everyone eventually read TodaysNIV? The bible mine field strikes again.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SofTy. :rofl:

NIV Quest is a very good study Bible. I use it along with a couple of others. I doubt if it is going anywhere. I also use a Apologetics Study Bible.

TrustGzus
Nov 3rd 2008, 10:52 PM

Thank you also for the link, i'll look at Amazon UK and other similar sites. No preference, accept the one that's cheapest!!! SofTy.Hey SofTy,

I'm talking about the "NIV Study Bible." The study notes were prepared by different scholars. In the front of the Bible it lists which scholars did the notes for which books of the Bible.

The TNIV is a result of the fact that IBS and/or Zondervan agreed not to update the NIV anymore. So the NIV is locked in 1984. However, lanaguage changes and knowledge increases as discoveries are made. So they can keep doing updates with the TNIV.

Many people use the NIV still. In fact, it still is more popular than the TNIV. While my wife and I each carry the TNIV, our church uses the NIV as it's pew Bible. Many are scared of the TNIV because of misunderstanding over the issue of "gender accurate" translating.

I agree with Literalist Luke. I have a TNIV Study Bible. I've been reading through it this year. It's great. It's really the same thing as the NIV Study Bible just put to the TNIV and they updated some of the notes at the time. Of course, now the 30th anniversary edition of the NIV Study Bible is more current than that in regard to the study notes though the Bible text is still the 1984 NIV.

The NIV Study Bible is wonderful. No matter which edition you purchase, it will serve you well. And since the NIV is locked as of 1984, it will suffer the same problems the KJV does. Eventually, as language evolves and changes, the NIV won't speak to people in the current venacular. People will need "NIV word books" to help them understand the eventual archaic language it will contain.

Hope that all helps.

Joe

Literalist-Luke
Nov 4th 2008, 03:08 AM
Are people still using the NIV or will everyone eventually read TodaysNIV? The bible mine field strikes again.The NIV will no doubt be around for years to come. The TNIV is gradually making inroads, however. The majority shouldn't be your determining factor, however. Why don't you go to a Christian bookstore and just compare them for yourself?

Or you can do it online here:

www.biblegateway.com

ServantofTruth
Nov 4th 2008, 01:53 PM
I chose the NIV because different churches locally of different flavours use it in the pews. From Anglican to Baptist, and beyond? I think i'll begin with just the NIV, just come here from Amazon UK where we've bought quite a lot of stuff - although other book companies are available and i'm sure just as good?

Under 20 for a study NIV bible and i'll need 3, maybe 4 normal NIV's for my children. Looks like they are 4.99 each. My 6 1/2 year old wants to join us, but then messes around. So i talk to him when we are alone on an easier level, like last night when the rest of the family were watching a movie.

Please don't consider this topic closed. If anyone is buying an NIV or has bought one recently, please share. How much do churches pay in bulk? The John's gospels i give out are already NIV - bridge builders/ pocket testament league. 26 1/2p each. Excellent for anyone wanting to buy a few themselves for friends and family, or just outreach/ mission generally. Obviouslt tracts are even cheaper. I use www.birminghamgospeloutreach.co.uk (http://www.birminghamgospeloutreach.co.uk) . Get the plugs in! Although i found them online and have no connection with them. Just send the cash and recieve the tracts by delivery company! SofTy.

grit
Nov 4th 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi SofTy. I'd love to help see that all your questions are answered. There are English Bible translations I prefer over the NIV, but I applaud your decision of using the NIV, and I support your efforts to provide Scriptures for your children and others.

The last update of the NIV was in 1984, but most modern Bible translations, including the NIV, are under copyright and committee oversight to regularly review and update these translations to keep up with changes in the English language. Perhaps of special note was the controversy this caused in specific regards to the NIV in the 1990's, which led to the introduction of the Today's New International Version, rather than the planned update of the NIV at that time. The controversy surrounding this planned update to the NIV also led other Christian publishers to introduce the Holman Christian Standard Bible and the English Standard Verison. The NIV and the New King James Version are still the most popular English translations, with the NIV and the KJV still being the most widely used translations, particularly as pew Bibles in churches.

There are a great number of study Bibles available in the NIV, most of which are published through the NIV's primary publisher, Zondervan Publishers. Many of these study Bibles in the NIV have a particular focus, design of use, or particular audience of users in mind. The study Bible called the NIV Study Bible is meant to be the premier study Bible from Zondervan Publishers and, as indicated earlier, is currently available in a new 30th anniversary edition with fully updated notes. It's also available in a number of styles - everything from a compact paperback, to hardcover, bonded leather, genuine leather, standard sized, and large print sized editions.

Pricing of Bibles is a more difficult topic, especially since many are widely available from various sources at no charge. There are a number of discount sources as well, but it's perhaps best to begin price searches with the publishing source. Many Bible publishers, including Zondervan, indeed have special pricing considerations for both bulk buying and special ministry use (what is often described as "church program" or "ministry program" buying plans), where certain Bibles can often be purchased under certain regulations and restrictions (like confirming church use, or in case quantities) at about half the regular listed retail cost. This special pricing wouldn't help in buying 3 or 4 Bibles for members of one's family, but is intended to ease the cost of providing Bibles for mission, evangelism, and church use (things like providing pew Bibles for a church).

ServantofTruth
Nov 5th 2008, 05:39 PM
Thank you grit. We've been reading for a couple of years together in the CEV, it seems fine to me, but i'm no expert. I've done bible group this afternoon and the leader uses the King James, and i've a couple - plus many pocket King James, i use to sell them.

I think i've already said i use the Jerusalem bible - which seems widely respected. I use to use normal, now the study version with very extensive footnotes - backed up by my 6 volume Matthew Henry commentary.

Thank's again grit. SofTy.

grit
Nov 6th 2008, 02:51 PM
:huggles: :hug:

seamus414
Nov 6th 2008, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone, this is especially for those of you who are very knowledgeable in bibles, but also for anyone who has bought one lately, even better if they are in the UK/ England like me.

For my daily reading with my 3 teenage children, i have decided to start using the NIV from January 1st, 2009. Please no discussions here - i've already don't that on other topics and have made a firm decision.

1. The first thing i need help with is - bible translations are sometimes updated as they are reprinted. As someone who knows nothing of these things - has the NIV been updated recently with recent study added?

2. With the basic bibles, for my children - has anyone bought one recently and if so how much did it cost. You could private message from where? - as we don't want to advertise on topic. My christian bookshop has soft cover NIVs for 6.99, I'd prefer hardback as they would hopefully last a little longer?

3. More importantly for those with greater knowledge perhaps? - with the NIV study bible, is there only one official NIV study bible or various NIV study bibles with the extensive footnotes done by different people? If so, in your opinion which is best.

4. If anyone has bought an NIV Study bible recently - how much are they - again my local shop has one for 29.99, but is dated 2002 and i wounder if there is a more up to date one, whether this edition has been updated by the same people? or a different newer version by someone else?

I know from experience how kind everyone is with sharing their expert or personal experience on bibles. Thank you for reading and being prepared to help/ advise me. God bless, Softy.

Ps. Sorry i have been unable to be as active on the forums recently. With moving house, half term schools, etc time is precious. However this topic is important to me, so i will pop in regularly to share. Paul.

I have a cool connection here: the notes to the book of Hebrews was written by a priest of my home Anglican Parish (formerly St. John's Episcopal Church, Huntingdon Valley, PA - now St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church in Churchville, PA due to the schism). Fr. Phillip Hughes wrote those notes and he was a genius with multiple earned phds!