PDA

View Full Version : How do we reconcile the differing accounts of Judas' Death?

TransformedSon
Nov 4th 2008, 02:35 AM
In Matthew 27:5 it says Judas hung himself.

In Acts 1:18 it says Judas "falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out."

WnC
Nov 4th 2008, 03:03 AM
I'll take a stab at this.:hmm:
Here is the passages:
Matt 27
4Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

5And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
6And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
7And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.
8Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day. 9Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;
Acts 1
16Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

17For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
18Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
Sorry, a lot of background, but I think the answer is in here.
Matt refers to his (Judas) repentance and casting the money into the temple, then going to hang himself. The priests purchase the field cause they didn't want to keep the money.
In Acts, verse 17 refers to Judas, but in v18 the purchaser of the field is the one who dies the horrible gut wrenching death. Why does it say 'reward of iniquity' instead of 'reward of his iniquity?' Because there are two different deaths here, Judas didn't buy the field, the man the priests gave the money to bought the field. Judas, may be buried there but so is the other guy.

That guy needs a name, how about Al.

Lamplighter
Nov 4th 2008, 03:18 AM
Here is the passages:
Matt 27
4Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

5And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
6And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
7And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.
8Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day. 9Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;
Acts 1
16Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

18Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
Matt refers to his (Judas) repentance and casting the money into the temple, then going to hang himself. The priests purchase the field cause they didn't want to keep the money.
In Acts, verse 17 refers to Judas, but in v18 the purchaser of the field is the one who dies the horrible gut wrenching death. Why does it say 'reward of iniquity' instead of 'reward of his iniquity?' Because there are two different deaths here, Judas didn't buy the field, the man the priests gave the money to bought the field. Judas, may be buried there but so is the other guy.

Yep. 2 different guys, 2 different deaths.

TransformedSon
Nov 4th 2008, 03:50 AM
Here is the passages:
Matt 27

Acts 1

Hmm...That's an interesting take. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have to be honest though, I disagree. I think it is pretty clear from the transition at the beginning of v. 18 that he is talking about Judas in that verse.

"17For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
18Now this man"

"This" man, as in the one he was just talking about the verse before...That's how I read it at least.

BroRog
Nov 4th 2008, 04:11 AM

In Acts 1:18 it says Judas "falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out."

Some suggest that Judas may have committed suicide by attaching a rope to his neck and jumping from a tree limb. Sometimes this form of suicide causes a person to split open at the point of sudden deceleration.

Lamplighter
Nov 4th 2008, 04:12 AM
Hmm...That's an interesting take. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have to be honest though, I disagree. I think it is pretty clear from the transition at the beginning of v. 18 that he is talking about Judas in that verse.

"17For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
18Now this man"

"This" man, as in the one he was just talking about the verse before...That's how I read it at least.

So, you are saying Judas bought land with the pieces of silver?

Matt 27 says that Judas threw the silver down in the Temple, not went and bought something with it?

Am I understanding you right? Thanks.

1of7000
Nov 4th 2008, 08:36 AM
judas bought a field with the momey he stole from the bag, cause he was a thief. he was planning to live there.

the priests bought a field with the thirty pieces of silver because it was blood money and set up a paupers graveyard.

judas left the priests and hung himself. hung himself can also be intrepreted to mean his throat was constricted. "all choked up" from the grief of betraying the Savior.

falling headlong with bowels gushing out he could have jumped on his own sword as saul did and committed sepuku as a way to regain some sense of honor in his death

Athanasius
Nov 4th 2008, 08:54 AM
There's something in the Greek that English translations that don't have that make the verse more interesting... Can't remember off the top of my head what it was, though. Gary Habermas was the one I first heard mention it, though.

TEITZY
Nov 4th 2008, 10:05 AM

It's possible for both to be true. For example if Judas hung himself on a tree overhanging a cliff, the weight of his body could cause the rope to snap or branch to break thus sending his body plummeting to the bottom (perhaps onto rocks) and thus causing further injuries.

As for the 'fields', both are referred to as the "Field of Blood" so we can assume they are one and the same. While the priests may have physically purchased the field, in a sense Judas purchased it because it was his money after all. This is possibly what Peter meant in Acts 1:18 when he refers to Judas purchasing a field "with the wages of iniquity".

Cheers
Leigh

WnC
Nov 4th 2008, 12:54 PM
Or, if you want to go the road that both Acts and Matt are talking about the same guy (Judas.) How long does a man have to hang in a tree for him to rot/fester/bloat etc so that when you cut him down (and he falls, possibly headlong) his innards would bust out.
The Bible isn't wrong so we don't have many choices here.

Good point about the Greek-English translation Xel, that could clear it up.

thepenitent
Nov 4th 2008, 05:31 PM
Or, if you want to go the road that both Acts and Matt are talking about the same guy (Judas.) How long does a man have to hang in a tree for him to rot/fester/bloat etc so that when you cut him down (and he falls, possibly headlong) his innards would bust out.

I think you got it correct there. Jews could not touch a dead body as it was unclean. So they just cut the rope and the bloated corpse fell on the rocks and burst open, spilling out his innards.

TransformedSon
Nov 4th 2008, 08:21 PM

I agree with you in that scripture is from God. Somehow it works out, I'm just not sure exactly how...Very possible I'm misreading it, or a scenario like the one you listed is what happened.

Emanate
Nov 5th 2008, 01:40 PM
I think you got it correct there. Jews could not touch a dead body as it was unclean. So they just cut the rope and the bloated corpse fell on the rocks and burst open, spilling out his innards.

Actually they could (you would have to at some point). It did make them unclean but there were specifications on how to become cleansed afterward.