PDA

View Full Version : Translations of the Bible over time

Jeffinator
Nov 5th 2008, 03:54 AM
I have heard a lot about how the bible has been translated over time through many languages before english, therefore it is not that credible because it has probably been altered over time.

I never really know what to say to this when confronted with it, anyone have any input on the subject?

Literalist-Luke
Nov 5th 2008, 04:18 AM
I have heard a lot about how the bible has been translated over time through many languages before english, therefore it is not that credible because it has probably been altered over time.

I never really know what to say to this when confronted with it, anyone have any input on the subject?Most modern translation are derived directly from original language texts, so the various language transformations over the years could reasonably be expected to have no appreciable impact.

Lamplighter
Nov 5th 2008, 04:32 AM
“Translation” simply means identifying the corresponding word(s) in one language to their meaningful equivalent in another language.

“Transliteration,” on the other hand, essentially means converting word(s) in one language to word(s) in another language by means of their close approximation in sound. This is usually done because:

it’s more intuitive or easier
meaningful corresponding word(s) simply do not exist in the target language (as is oftentimes the case with names and places)

Hope this clears things up for you a bit my friend.:hug:

thepenitent
Nov 5th 2008, 03:14 PM

I never really know what to say to this when confronted with it, anyone have any input on the subject?

In 1946 a collection of scrolls were discovered that had been sitting in a cave, undisterbed, for over 2000 years. They are known as the dead sea scroll. Included among them were portions of every old testament book of the Bible except Esther. There were entire texts of some books, like Isaiah. Lo and behold, the texts were 99.9% the exact same as what we read today. Futher, the oldest discovered texts of the NT are what we read today. These NT texts and text fragments have been discovered all over the world and other than various spelling variations are all identical. Rest assured the Bible you read is pure.

markdrums
Nov 5th 2008, 04:33 PM

Here's a link that explains how many copies of historic manuscripts are in existence, & how old they are...etc. (Both Biblical & non-Biblical)

http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep7.html

It's pretty amazing how many more copies of the New Testament we have for comparison... and the fact that some of them date as far back as just a couple decades from the events & lifetime of Jesus.
Other writings that people claim are "trustworthy" in the sense of staying true to the original, are hundreds of years old, & have FAR LESS copies available.

The evidence to support Biblical reliability are overwhelming!!
:)

parker
Nov 15th 2008, 07:44 AM
The truth of the Bible remains, even though strict inerrancy cannot be sustained. These days there are many, many different biblical translations of Scripture in Christian bookstores. And even if the Bible were inerrant, does that then mean our understanding of it is also inerrant?

There is a pun in Italian: traduttore traditore. The literal translation of the phrase is "translation is treason." The idea of translation being a betrayal is based on the impossibility of ever achieving exact equivalence between two different languages.

KATA_LOUKAN
Nov 15th 2008, 03:56 PM

It's only a problem if you worship the Bible.

It is a fascinating field of study. If you really want to read some good books about it, I would recommend "Can we Trust the Gospels?" by Mark Roberts.