PDA

View Full Version : We aren't supposed to expect it

Lyndie
Nov 6th 2008, 12:12 AM
This is an off shoot of all the watch and be ready threads. and I worded the title wrong, it should read, We can't determine exactly when...

“Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” (Luke 21:34-36)

The way I read this is seems to me that it's going to happen when we least expect it. But right now that seems to be all people are talking about. Also, It says to pray that we 'may be able to escape it'. The words 'pray that we may be able to escape' lead me to believe we will be here for whatever happens, and to pray (or ask) that we will be able to escape/be delivered. While I believe things are leading up to the end, I don't think its going to happen as soon as everyone says it is. God isn't on our timetable.

Joe King
Nov 6th 2008, 12:18 AM
Sounds like a post trib passage to me!

There are definite signs to watch out for. If we are not to be ready and watching, then he wouldn't have told us about what to look for.

100% on we are on God's timetable. There is no alternative.

DigReal
Nov 6th 2008, 01:14 AM
I read that scripture as advice to those who know of our Lord (and therefore call themselves Christians) yet are of this world... and not repentant and not saved. It's a warning that to put off acceptance of Jesus is a poor choice. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Praying to escape is like praying for salvation, only I suspect our Lord won't be very rewarding to those who try to put off salvation til the last minute.

I could be misreading, of course (wouldn't be the first time), but that's my take on it. As for timing, we only know we aren't appointed to wrath. Personally, I think we need to be patient just a few more years. But it won't be when WE (saved Christians) least expect it... we'll be watching... it'll be when the others aren't watching.

Did that make any sense? I'm not very good at wording things.

Forgiven Alaskan
Nov 6th 2008, 07:24 AM
1 Thessalonians 5:3
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

When will they say that during the Tribulation?