PDA

View Full Version : apocrypha between the churches

godsgrace22
Nov 6th 2008, 04:03 PM
How could the Greek Orthodox Church and Russian Orthodox Church
who have the apocrypha (detrocanonical) books as inspired works.

The people in these churches can read these books believing that they are inspired works because these churches hold them to be. How can a priest in these churches sincerely believe that these books are inspired by God when,on the other hand God told through the holy spirit told me (very strongly) that they are not inspired works (a protestant)?

Are they not close to God? Have they been brainwashed?

Even today,I still feel a tug at my heart to let go.

chad
Nov 6th 2008, 07:44 PM
Different churches have different cannons and what they believe should be included in the bible and what books are inspired of God. Even though some books are not included in the cannon, some churches will draw from the information in these Apocrypha books, some churches include them in thier cannon.

The people in these churches can read these books believing that they are inspired works because these churches hold them to be. How can a priest in these churches sincerely believe that these books are inspired by God when,on the other hand God told through the holy spirit told me (very strongly) that they are not inspired works (a protestant)?

Are they not close to God? Have they been brainwashed?

Even today,I still feel a tug at my heart to let go.

markedward
Nov 6th 2008, 09:02 PM
You may not consider them canon, but they are certainly relevant and important to understanding how our religious ancestors thought about certain topics at certain times.

Bethany67
Nov 6th 2008, 09:06 PM
In the Orthodox world, tradition is very very important. It probably wouldn't occur to them to question because their church has used them for centuries.

markedward
Nov 6th 2008, 09:34 PM
That's no reason to criticize them, though. It's no different than us not-questioning the usage of the gospel of John or Acts or something similar.

mcgyver
Nov 7th 2008, 03:42 PM

Let me take these one at a time, and give you a little history as to how this came to be...a bit of a time-line. :)

From AD 385-AD 405, Jerome translated the Bible into Latin at the commission of Pope Damasus I. He used Greek texts for the NT, and Masoretic (Hebrew) texts for the OT....The Latin Vulgate (as it was/is known) also contained the Apocrypha.

Jerome noted that the Apocrypha should not be held as being of equal authority with the rest of the scripture...that is to say that the Apocrypha was not "inspired". So far, so good....

About 782 (and my date may be a little off here) the Pope at the time declared that the Latin Vulgate was the only "acceptible" Bible, and decalred that it was inspired...to include the Apocrypha.

Now comes the "Great Schism" of 1054, when the Catholic Church broke into two churches: One based in the West (Rome...The RCC), and the other based in the East (Constantinople...Greek Orthodox, from whence the Russian Orthodox came). Both of these churches (RCC and Greek Orthodox) kept the Latin Vulgate as their scripture...Thus both have the Apocrypha to this day...and church tradition handed down counts these books as "inspired"

Are they not close to God? Have they been brainwashed?My friend, remember that there are born-again Christians in every denomination...who have the Holy Spirit dwelling in their heart...and that it is His job to guide us into all truth. Our part then is to pray for them, that they eyes of their understanding are opened! :)

Even today,I still feel a tug at my heart to let go.I hear you...but we've just got to let God be God; and let God do His work...last time I looked He's mighty good at it! ;)