PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to Accept Christ as your Savior..

Lordistruth
Nov 6th 2008, 11:14 PM
A friend of mine who is Catholic asked me what we mean when we say that we have accepted Christ as our personal savior. I told him that it means that only Jesus can save us.

He said that he believes the same thing.

I asked him why he goes to confession with a priest then.

He said that he does not believe that the Preist is forgiving him, he said that it is Jesus who forgives us, the Preist just acts as someone who you can talk to and get things off of your chest and the Preist is just reassuring you that Jesus forgives you, then he offers you a suggestion on how to better yourself and get closer to Jesus.

This sounds like a good thing to me, I brought it up in my small group (bible group) and the vast majority was saying that my friend has not accepted Jesus as his personal savior, but to me it sounds like he has. What do you guys think?

Can you go to a preist for confession and still have Jesus as your personal savior??

Butch5
Nov 7th 2008, 12:08 AM
A friend of mine who is Catholic asked me what we mean when we say that we have accepted Christ as our personal savior. I told him that it means that only Jesus can save us.

He said that he does not believe that the Preist is forgiving him, he said that it is Jesus who forgives us, the Preist just acts as someone who you can talk to and get things off of your chest and the Preist is just reassuring you that Jesus forgives you, then he offers you a suggestion on how to better yourself and get closer to Jesus.

This sounds like a good thing to me, I brought it up in my small group (bible group) and the vast majority was saying that my friend has not accepted Jesus as his personal savior, but to me it sounds like he has. What do you guys think?

Can you go to a preist for confession and still have Jesus as your personal savior??

Look at your friends life, is he living for the Lord? Does He abide in Christ's commandments? Jesus said those who love Him will keep His commandments. To accept Jesus as savior is to also accept Jesus as Lord. Many people think you can just believe in Jesus and it's a done deal, you are saved. While believing in Jesus is how we are initially saved, we are saved by faith, Jesus also said we must abide in His love, He said we must endure to the end, He said if we keep His commands, we show that we love Him. So, I would look at how you friend lives, If He professes Christ and lives accordingly, it would appear that he is saved.

Vhayes
Nov 7th 2008, 12:10 AM
To me it means that I accept the gift of Christs payment for my salvation. That I know and recognize the fact there is nothing I can do to either merit or keep my salvation. It is gift, offered in an inexlainable love.

It's not about me, it's about Him.

Does that help?
V

Lamplighter
Nov 7th 2008, 02:45 AM
John 3:16"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Believes in the Greek is (pisteuo) πιστεύω

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
a) of the thing believed
1) to credit, have confidence
b) in a moral or religious reference
1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith
3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
a) to be intrusted with a thing

Beloved by God
Nov 9th 2008, 12:00 AM
If your friend has confessed that Jesus died on the cross, then arose alive for him, to cover his sins- then he asked forgiveness for his sins, then I would say he is saved.
If you friend has never personally, from his own mouth, ask Jesus/God for forgiveness then he needs to.
I think a lot of Catholics never do that, they just ask the priest to pray for them or think that confessing to the priest clears them. Then if they say the Hail Mary prayer 5 times, or give $20 to the church, or some other kind of penance then they are saved for that moment. (the priest they confess to tells them to do stuff like that)

Most of them also believe that if they aren't baptised, don't take communion at some point in their life, then don't have last rites said over them- that they go to purgatory and us people here on earth have to light candles for them and pray to Mary so she will ask God to take us out of purgatory.
They used to say that if a baby died it went into limbo, which is like purgatory, but a while back the Pope said, 'No, limbo doesn't exist, never mind.'

You might check with your friend and ask him if he prays to Jesus himself.

JesusIsLord82
Nov 9th 2008, 12:04 AM

I agree with your friend. A priest is someone you can confess your sins to in order to get them off your chest and he assures you that Jesus has forgiven you. Your friend has accepted Jesus as his personal Savior. The group you brought the discussion up in just doesn't understand is all. tell the group to read John 20:21-23 to understand the Catholic teaching of Confession

GitRDunn
Nov 9th 2008, 05:45 AM
If your friend has confessed that Jesus died on the cross, then arose alive for him, to cover his sins- then he asked forgiveness for his sins, then I would say he is saved.
If you friend has never personally, from his own mouth, ask Jesus/God for forgiveness then he needs to.
I think a lot of Catholics never do that, they just ask the priest to pray for them or think that confessing to the priest clears them. Then if they say the Hail Mary prayer 5 times, or give $20 to the church, or some other kind of penance then they are saved for that moment. (the priest they confess to tells them to do stuff like that)

Most of them also believe that if they aren't baptised, don't take communion at some point in their life, then don't have last rites said over them- that they go to purgatory and us people here on earth have to light candles for them and pray to Mary so she will ask God to take us out of purgatory.
They used to say that if a baby died it went into limbo, which is like purgatory, but a while back the Pope said, 'No, limbo doesn't exist, never mind.'

You might check with your friend and ask him if he prays to Jesus himself.
Although I'm not a Catholic, my grandma's best friend is and she says that the Catholic church isn't nearly as different from a protestant church as it used to be.

The way I see it is how he goes to the priest for confession. If he is going and asking the priest for forgiveness as if the priest can grant it, then I don't think he really understands what it means to have Jesus as his personal savior, but if he just uses the priest as a person to share things with and talk to, but is asking Jesus for forgiveness and realizes this is where his forgiveness comes from, then I think he should be fine. It all depends on how he truly sees the confession. If he thinks he has to confess his sins to the priest for them to be forgiven, then he's wrong, the only thing he has to do is ask forgiveness from Jesus.

Beloved by God
Nov 9th 2008, 03:00 PM
My father's family is Catholic, and the Catholic Church is different. They do a lot of ceremonies, and have a lot of traditions that they think you must follow or you will be put into purgatory. They still have mass to pray people out of purgatory, and they do pray to the virgin Mary. You are not supposed to pray to anyone but God, and there is no purgatory, so I worry about my family and pray for them daily.
They do a lot of extra things, and worry about a lot of extra things that they don't need to worry about.

Richard H
Nov 9th 2008, 04:00 PM
('Raised in the RCC myself)
Mostly, they perceive "good enough" as doing the things the church teaches.
"I go to church"
"I receive communion"
"I go to confession"

Rather than:
"I can do nothing more to gain righteousness than that which Christ has already done for ME. His blood is sufficient to pay for my sin."

Lordistruth
Nov 10th 2008, 06:17 PM
Rather than:
"I can do nothing more to gain righteousness than that which Christ has already done for ME. His blood is sufficient to pay for my sin."

So according to this everyone is already saved?

thepenitent
Nov 10th 2008, 06:56 PM
The answer to this is not a single act but a lifelong process.

Lordistruth
Nov 10th 2008, 07:35 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, you do have to do things in order to be saved.

Under the
I can do nothing more to gain righteousness than that which Christ has already done for ME. His blood is sufficient to pay for my sin." mentality you could go around murdering people till you die and still be saved.

Richard H
Nov 10th 2008, 09:16 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, you do have to do things in order to be saved.

Under the mentality you could go around murdering people till you die and still be saved.The offer is open to all. The "doing" is in accepting it and allowing Him to also be Lord.

It is certainly not a license to sin, but we can give up everything and live as good as possible, and it would still not be "enough" - apart from Christ. :)

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Eph 2:8-10

Lordistruth
Nov 10th 2008, 09:25 PM
The "doing" is in accepting it and allowing Him to also be Lord

Just so I can clarify to my friend - how does one accept it and allow him to also be Lord?

Is it done just by professing it? By saying that you accept it?

sheina maidle
Nov 10th 2008, 09:54 PM
To me it means that I accept the gift of Christs payment for my salvation. That I know and recognize the fact there is nothing I can do to either merit or keep my salvation. It is gift, offered in an inexlainable love.

It's not about me, it's about Him.

Does that help?
V
:agree: :thumbsup: :amen: Praise the Lord!

These verses are only the tip of the boundless love and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Psalms 40:2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
Psalms 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Richard H
Nov 10th 2008, 11:14 PM
Just so I can clarify to my friend - how does one accept it and allow him to also be Lord?

Is it done just by professing it? By saying that you accept it?
Well…
I’m going to “arm you to the teeth” – as it were. J
You may not need all this to talk to your friend, but it may come in handy.
So you will want to become familiar with these verses or others that you know of or which the Spirit leads you to.
Mark them in your Bible with a little margin bracket or pointer thingy like this: >

Ready? :)

Your friend needs to understand that God is perfect and also holy.
The imperfect cannot be in His presence.
The fact is that we – none of us – are perfect.
“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Romans 3:23

No matter how good we try to be, our righteousness by our own merit is not “enough”.
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Isaiah 64:6

So we all need a way to become acceptable in God’s eyes and God has sent His own Son for that reason.
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Romans 5:8-10

There are not many ways to God. Jesus is the only way.
Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
John 14:6

And
For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1Timothy 2:5

Being reconciled to God, means that we are saved from hell and born into the kingdom of God.
Sin is not counted against us.
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
Romans 8:1,2

That is the offer and the way to begin accepting it is to repent – or turn 180 degrees from sin.
It is an offer of a brand new life – a new beginning. A life with God and God with us, so we must all repent to begin the journey.
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act 2:38

Your friend should understand this in their heart (as much as possible) and make a determination to begin a New Life.
And believing that what Jesus did is enough to blot out our imperfection.
So God puts His Holy Spirit in us – as we are now holy in God’s eyes.

The Holy Spirit helps us want to please the Father and helps us in our daily battle with overcoming selfishness and sin.
The fact that He is in us is why we will be raised up in the resurrection because we are now children of God.
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you,
He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh--
for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:10-14

I’ve given you quite a bit here, but the concept is actually fairly simple.
Repent and believe that Jesus died for you!
Then begin following Christ, by seeking to make that newness on the inside show to others on the outside.
That will not make you more holy or righteous, but it happens because God is now the boss – the King.
He knows everything and he knows best for us and we have to learn to trust Him with more than just our salvation.

Your friend can repeat the “sinner’s prayer”
I just sort of made this one up – there is no “official” sinner’s prayer.

Lord, Jesus, I know that I am a sinner.
I know that you died in my place, so that I may have eternal life.
I ask you now: become my Savior and also my Lord.
Strengthen me in my new life with you and keep me always in your hand.
I trust you that your death on the cross paid for my sins.
You did not deserve it. I deserved it, but you died for me and so I want to live for you.
Come into my life and help me to do that.
Thank you, Jesus.

It is not the words which count as the person meaning the prayer rather than just saying the words.
That is why it is important that they understand the gospel.

Afterward, you friend should go tell one other person that they now follow Jesus.
(‘Just tell them. It’s not about trying to convert them)
that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Romans 10:9-10

This also brings us to Baptism – which is symbolic of our daily dying to sin – as Jesus died for us.
Also of being raised to newness of life here and now and also the resurrection to come.
It is also a public confession of faith in Christ.

Again Acts 2;38
Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Receiving the forgiveness through Jesus and meaning it – the Holy Spirit causes sort of a rebirth – this is called “being born” again.
It is a requirement to enter heaven.

Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
"Do not be amazed that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
John 3:5-7

That’s about it.
Your friend should get a Bible if they do not already have one.
Preferably a good translation like the NASB (New American Standard)
or even the NIV (New International Version) – easier to read.
Or a New King James.

Not something like “The Living Bible” or “The Good News Bible” – which are almost more like commentaries.

They should pray every day and read God’s Word and get into some good fellowship with other born again Christians.

I hope this has been helpful and not too overwhelming.
It really is a simple concept and even a simple “procedure”.

Blessings,
Richard

looking4jesus
Nov 10th 2008, 11:38 PM
:agree: :thumbsup: :amen: Praise the Lord!

These verses are only the tip of the boundless love and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Psalms 40:2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
Psalms 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Yes, Yes , and Yes..However what has not been clearly sai dhere is this.
It is the work of the Holy Spirit that saves a person. that person truly needs to be convicted of his sin by the Holy Spirit and to know that they only way out is by Grace not of works of the saving blood of our lord Jesus Christ and that again is brought about in the non beliver mind by the Holy Spirit. Just saying a sinner prayer will not do it. Knowing all the right words to say will do nothing only when the Holy Spirit is there convicting that man of sin to a place of repentence will that person be saved.
It is always the Holy Spirit that brings a lost soul to Jesus not anythng else lest man should boast.

Also do not belive the endure to the end thing because then you may feel you can loose your salvation which you cannot do.

So if your friend has followed the above by the leading of the Holy Spirit they he is saved. However in time the Holy Spirit will lead a saved person out of false doctrine which mean sif that person is leading and growing a new life in Jesus he will be led out of the Catholic church.
God Bless
Randy

Lordistruth
Nov 11th 2008, 04:02 PM
Doesn't
Sin is not counted against us. contradict
the way to begin accepting it is to repent Ė or turn 180 degrees from sin

If sin is not counted against us, then why do we have to turn from it?

Richard H
Nov 11th 2008, 04:51 PM
Doesn't contradict

If sin is not counted against us, then why do we have to turn from it?Good question.
Our past sin and even future sins are not counted against us when we understand that Jesus hung on a cross to remove our guilt.

However, to continue to willfully commit sin is like putting Jesus back up on the cross.
Hebrews 6:6 speaks of this.
It is speaking of those who have no remorse and repentence.

We turn away from sin, because we have a new life. (Romans 6:4)
Satan and sin is not our master - Jesus is our Lord.

Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness;
but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
Romans 6:8-14

I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,
but I see a different law in the members of my body,
waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then,
on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.
Romans 7:21-25

Still, we struggle aginst sin and selfishness every day. Repentance and confession to God is often needed, but once we repent and turn away from following our own lusts and self satisfaction - we remain in Christ and His righteousness is replaced in stead of our imperfection.
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
Romans 8:1,2

The law of sin and death is also found in Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jesus freed us from the penalty, but He also brings us into Godís kingdom and into new life.

Lordistruth
Nov 11th 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the help!

My Catholic Friend brought up another point.

He said that if you live your entire life sinning, then you find out that you have cancer, or even more extreme, lets say you find out you have one hour to live. If you get the Last Rites(?) which is a Catholic Belief (which he again states that he believes he is being forgiven by Jesus and not by the Preist) then he will still be admitted into heaven.

I guess what he is saying is even if you live your entire life in sin. Then, as you are dying you feel sorry for what you did and you then turn away from sin right before you will still get into heaven

JesusIsLord82
Nov 11th 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the help!

He said that if you live your entire life sinning, then you find out that you have cancer, or even more extreme, lets say you find out you have one hour to live. If you get the Last Rites(?) which is a Catholic Belief (which he again states that he believes he is being forgiven by Jesus and not by the Preist) then he will still be admitted into heaven.

I guess what he is saying is even if you live your entire life in sin. Then, as you are dying you feel sorry for what you did and you then turn away from sin right before you will still get into heaven

yup he's right as far as my understanding of the Catholic Church's teachings of the Last Rites go anyway.

Lordistruth
Nov 11th 2008, 05:20 PM
I was thinking about this and it has positives and negatives - yeah you could get away with sinning you entire life but still get into heaven with people who have worshiped God their entire lives, which seems a little unfair, but on the other hand there is no cut off time when you can accept Christ into your life, even if it is your last minutes.

Richard H
Nov 11th 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the help!

I guess what he is saying is even if you live your entire life in sin. Then, as you are dying you feel sorry for what you did and you then turn away from sin right before you will still get into heavenFirst, your friend does not need to get to a priest to receive anything from God.

God has given some as shepherds of His flock, but He is quite able to deal directly with a person.
Some church created ritual is not needed and the priest has no say-so on who goes to heaven and who does not.

Theologically, yes.
If that person finally understood the gospel and really repented at the last moment.
However, if the person understood the gospel, but did not want to follow Christ until it was the last resort,
it would seem to show a falseness to the act of repenting.

It is up to God to discern what is really in a person's heart.
I cannot tell you one way or another.

I will say this...
One never knows the time of one's departure.
It can be sudden and unexpected - even "before it's time".

To wait and gamble on a deathbed conversion is foolish and wasteful of the gift offered through Jesus.
For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you."
Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
2Corinthians 6:2

Richard H
Nov 11th 2008, 06:03 PM
I was thinking about this and it has positives and negatives - yeah you could get away with sinning you entire life but still get into heaven with people who have worshiped God their entire lives, which seems a little unfair, but on the other hand there is no cut off time when you can accept Christ into your life, even if it is your last minutes.The "cut off point" is death.
It might seem unfair to the people who worshipped God their whole lives, but really it is unfair to the last minute person.
They wasted a life when they could have known the goodness and love of God.

Plus, Paul teaches us that there are rewards for being faithful.
Certainly we can not earn righteousness, but God does reward those who serve Him.
A last minute person will only gain salvation.

Without time to allow the Holy Spirit to produce the fruit of the Spirit
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal 5:23)
Without time to experience being transformed into a new person, by the Holy Spirit.
And no opportunity to learn to be led by the Spirit,
one has no opportunity to be used by God to help others - and therefore no reward.

If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
1Corinthians 3:15

Teke
Nov 11th 2008, 09:50 PM

Your friend is right, it is God who forgives us. Scripture tells us to confess to one another.
(Jam 5:16 Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.)
A priest qualifies as "another".

To answer your question, yes, your friend does have Jesus as his/her Savior.
Repentance through confession is the way in which Christians, after baptism, keep themselves spotless from sin. The Church is to present itself to God as pure as a virgin. Although our sins are washed away at baptism (past/previous sins), we are still sinners which need God to help us. This is one of the benefits of being part of the Body of Christ.

When we accept Christ He assumes us into His Body, this is both literal and spiritual. Since there is no sin in Christ, one who is part of His Body will keep himself/herself from sin through repentance in confession.
This addresses our mind, body and soul which God seeks to "keep" for His good works as well as our benefit.

Those who are not part of Christ's Body do not have this benefit. At the final judgment they will be judged by their works alone, meaning whether they have done good or bad. IOW they'll face judgment rather than obtaining forgiveness as Christians have.

I was thinking about this and it has positives and negatives - yeah you could get away with sinning you entire life but still get into heaven with people who have worshiped God their entire lives, which seems a little unfair, but on the other hand there is no cut off time when you can accept Christ into your life, even if it is your last minutes.

Indeed Jesus tells this in a parable. see Matthew 20