PDA

View Full Version : Life after the fall

bhoup
Nov 7th 2008, 09:48 AM
I am currently reading two Christian apologetic/doctrine books (What Christianity Is All About by Alan Kent Scholes and Who Made God? by Ravi Zacharias & Norman Geisler) and have something to ponder. When Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, they became self-conscious and ashamed. Then the woman had resulting pain in childbirth. Finally, the ground began to resist human efforts at cultivation and it was pronounced cursed. The Alan Scholes says this about it:

"Although the passage doesn't directly say so, it seems that all human work, not just gardening and farming, is now accomplished only with sweat and frustration."

I often wonder what life would be like today for us had it not been for the fall. Would we still be in the occupations that we are today, working to provide for our families, or would we be just enjoying life without any responsibilities and hardship (eg. a bad economy, fierce business competition), etc? Any thoughts?

markedward
Nov 7th 2008, 02:41 PM
It's hard to determine.

Would we have been a theocratic commune? Everyone is equal, all is shared, nothing is hidden, zero malevolence toward our fellow.

Semi-tortured
Nov 7th 2008, 07:30 PM
It's hard to determine.

Would we have been a theocratic commune? Everyone is equal, all is shared, nothing is hidden, zero malevolence toward our fellow.

Interesting question. Did the trees and plants grow fruit regardless creating no need for cultivation? I often wonder about tasks in heaven/new earth. What would they be? I can't imagine going through eternity without things that need to be accomplished. My guess is there would have been certain jobs, but not in the sense of the economy/market we have today. It will be interesting to see when we are in the New Earth, seeing what we had and what God intended and just how different the path of sin made EVERYTHING.

Zack702
Nov 7th 2008, 08:33 PM
The ground is no longer cursed...

21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

As far as imagining what life would be like had Adam and Eve never eaten the knowledge of good and evil. I imagine it would be a harmonistic paradise compared to what we have created. Yet we wouldn't know it because it would simply be natural.

markedward
Nov 7th 2008, 08:37 PM
Perhaps you should append "Genesis 8" to that verse, Zack702?

Interesting take... I've never noticed that before.

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 8th 2008, 07:51 AM
Genesis 3:18 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=3&verse=18&version=31&context=verse)
It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.

Why life after the fall was hard is that thorns and thistles grow easily out of the grown compare to earlier easy time for Adam and Eve. They need to work extra hard to take care of the plant they are trying to grow. Grass too can choke the plant.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 8th 2008, 08:49 AM
The ground is no longer cursed...

21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

As far as imagining what life would be like had Adam and Eve never eaten the knowledge of good and evil. I imagine it would be a harmonistic paradise compared to what we have created. Yet we wouldn't know it because it would simply be natural.
Perhaps you should append "Genesis 8" to that verse, Zack702?

Interesting take... I've never noticed that before.Huh, I've never noticed it either. Thanks, Zack. :thumbsup: