PDA

View Full Version : Is it in the Bible?

dmonast
Nov 7th 2008, 11:59 PM
Hello,

I am searching in the Bible for something that specifies the order in which we should focus our attention. Such as...

Your Self (1st)
Your Wife (2nd)
Your Children (3rd)
Your Parents (4th)
Your Siblings (5th)

Anything from the bible that will shed some insight would be very helpful.

David

daughter
Nov 8th 2008, 12:09 AM
Well, how about "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul and all your strength..." followed by "love your neighbour as yourself."

God comes first. Before spouse, kids, parents, anything.

daughter
Nov 8th 2008, 12:09 AM
Sorry by the way... that sounded snappy. Welcome to the forum... I've had a long day. (It's past midnight here.)

Biastai
Nov 8th 2008, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the forum!

"The man said,
'This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called 'woman,'
for she was taken out of man.'
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."
Genesis 2:23,24 (NIV)

Strong language in this scripture shows one's relationship with one's wife would override the relationship with one's parent(s) should the two ever conflict.

daughter
Nov 8th 2008, 12:34 AM
I thought of that scripture too.

Also, "love your neighbour as yourself..."

You can't love your neighbour if you don't love yourself.

A husband is to love his wife as his own flesh...

So, I think, God first, self next, then spouse (though because the spouse is one flesh, we should also place them before us... a man should love his wife as Christ loves the church after all.) So, perhaps self and spouse co-equal, or even spouse ahead of self.

Then parents and children... because you should always honour your parents.

God

Self-Spouse

Parents-Children

But still... love your neighbour (even if it's a foriegner you've never met) as yourself.

Complicated... :rolleyes:

Kahtar
Nov 8th 2008, 12:41 AM
God first above all
Spouse next, because you are one flesh. GOd should be the third Person in your marriage
Children
Neighbors (includes everyone else, including relatives)
Self you should die to...............

daughter
Nov 8th 2008, 12:46 AM
God first above all
Spouse next, because you are one flesh. GOd should be the third Person in your marriage
Children
Neighbors (includes everyone else, including relatives)
Self you should die to...............

There you go! Thank you, self last.

You see... good question. VERY good answer. Thanks kahtar!

ƒσяєяυииєя
Nov 8th 2008, 01:14 AM
Hello Dmonast,

Welcome to the board, enjoy···

In Biblegateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%209;&version=9;) one can research the Bible as with a e-concordance.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it Luke 9:24.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. Matthew 10:37-39.

Take care