PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Scripture About Making a Difference.

Hobbes91
Nov 8th 2008, 07:10 PM
Is there anything in the Bible about how even making the littlest decisions are important, especially when you start doing them over and over and the outcome turns out to be bigge than expected?

threebigrocks
Nov 8th 2008, 08:05 PM
Matthew 10
"And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

If you look at what we are asked to do - to go to those who are in need: the widows, the hungry, the naked, those in prison, they aren't difficult things. If you see someone hungry - give them something to eat. Very simply, and easily done. If someone is thirsty - give them something to drink. If there is a widow who is lonely and in need - be a friend.

It was taught by the pharasees that they didn't associate with beggars and sinners, drunkards, etc. They didn't want to be seen with them or associate them because they thought them to be less. It would tarnish how people saw them. But Christ did - and they criticized Him for it. The quote from Matthew 10 said that if you do the small things to those whom the world looks down on you won't get a black mark against you as was preached by the priests.

The little decisions are important. Sometimes the hardest ones are realizing that when you recognize need "in the least of these" and don't reach out - that is bad. The little decisions can rest in having eyes to see where the Lord's work needs to be done, and doing it. When we do those things you bet the outcome can be bigger than expected!

Butch5
Nov 9th 2008, 01:39 AM
Matthew 10
"And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

If you look at what we are asked to do - to go to those who are in need: the widows, the hungry, the naked, those in prison, they aren't difficult things. If you see someone hungry - give them something to eat. Very simply, and easily done. If someone is thirsty - give them something to drink. If there is a widow who is lonely and in need - be a friend.

It was taught by the pharasees that they didn't associate with beggars and sinners, drunkards, etc. They didn't want to be seen with them or associate them because they thought them to be less. It would tarnish how people saw them. But Christ did - and they criticized Him for it. The quote from Matthew 10 said that if you do the small things to those whom the world looks down on you won't get a black mark against you as was preached by the priests.

The little decisions are important. Sometimes the hardest ones are realizing that when you recognize need "in the least of these" and don't reach out - that is bad. The little decisions can rest in having eyes to see where the Lord's work needs to be done, and doing it. When we do those things you bet the outcome can be bigger than expected!

Good post threebigrocks!

:amen:

RoadWarrior
Nov 9th 2008, 04:03 AM
Is there anything in the Bible about how even making the littlest decisions are important, especially when you start doing them over and over and the outcome turns out to be bigge than expected?

Hi Hobbes,

I like your question! I hope you will get lots of good answers that will be helpful to you.

This week I have been studying 2 Peter. There is a section which turned on like a light bulb to me, and I will share a bit of it with you. I'll use the New Living Translation to make it easier to read and understand.

2 Peter 1:3-9
3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires.

5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God's promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

Verses 5-7 are the ones that turned on like a light to me. We start being a Christian by our faith. Practicing moral excellence is a decision to do the "little things" you mention, over and over, doing the right things instead of the wrong things.

What seemed huge to me especially is how each of these things can be thought of as a chain, linking one to the previous one. Or they can be seen as various aspects of a painting perhaps, like a palette of color that we build up bit by bit as we walk in His ways.

Thank you for asking this question!

thepenitent
Nov 9th 2008, 05:54 AM

Although not necessarily about decisions, the parable of the mustard seed could be analogous to the point you are trying to make. Something seemingly small and inconsequential grows to be the largest of all the plants in the garden.

"He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.” Mt 13:31-32

Richard H
Nov 9th 2008, 06:12 AM
Although not necessarily about decisions, the parable of the mustard seed could be analogous to the point you are trying to make. Something seemingly small and inconsequential grows to be the largest of all the plants in the garden.

"He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.” Mt 13:31-32
Awwww... Ya beat me to it! :)

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 9th 2008, 06:53 AM
Luke 18:1-8
The Parable of the Persistent Widow

1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.' 4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "
6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"