PDA

View Full Version : Ecclesiastes 7:16) Be not righteous over much

copper25
Nov 9th 2008, 06:06 PM
Ecclesiastes 7:16) Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself ?

Be not righteous over much- How can one consider their self righteous? People are fooling themselves and don’t realize it, calling themselves sinners yet they stay with in that condition not seeing the error of their ways. We have all fallen “short of the glory of God“, but that is no excuse to let sin consume our lives. We have been called “to Holiness“, but not to live in sin. Self righteousness prevents someone from submitting to God and from seeing their own sin. When we view ourselves as righteous, it may act as a hidden snare and form of pride hindering the soul and the development of spiritual growth. “poor and needy”, that is what we are. We are always in need of God’s grace, his help, and his leadership over us in our lives.

A “man in his best state is altogether vanity”, so where does that leave us, “poor and needy”, in a desperate state and condition that only God can help. “Like as a father pitieth his children”, so the Lord took pity on us. “It is of the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed”, therefore submit to Him. 1 Peter 5:6) Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God that he may exalt you in due time.)) The key word is “humble“. Many people today show pride rather than humility because they will not submit to God, nor hear his word. He that “despiseth the word shall be destroyed”. Yet how often are warnings like these not harkened to, not known, and not taken to consideration! Proverbs 1:25) But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof.))

Failure to hear the word is a grievous error. “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee”. Proverbs 13:12) Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when desire cometh, it is a tree of life.)) But for many how oft does that desire not come! “Seek ye the Lord while he may be found” because when “the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying Lord, Lord,” it will be too late to heed the warning of the Bible. “Behold, I come as a thief” “in the night”. Luke 21:34) And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life and so that day come upon you unawares))

Friend of I AM
Nov 9th 2008, 06:27 PM
Ecclesiastes 7:16) Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself ?

Be not righteous over much- How can one consider their self righteous? People are fooling themselves and don’t realize it, calling themselves sinners yet they stay with in that condition not seeing the error of their ways. We have all fallen “short of the glory of God“, but that is no excuse to let sin consume our lives. We have been called “to Holiness“, but not to live in sin. Self righteousness prevents someone from submitting to God and from seeing their own sin. When we view ourselves as righteous, it may act as a hidden snare and form of pride hindering the soul and the development of spiritual growth. “poor and needy”, that is what we are. We are always in need of God’s grace, his help, and his leadership over us in our lives.

A “man in his best state is altogether vanity”, so where does that leave us, “poor and needy”, in a desperate state and condition that only God can help. “Like as a father pitieth his children”, so the Lord took pity on us. “It is of the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed”, therefore submit to Him. 1 Peter 5:6) Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God that he may exalt you in due time.)) The key word is “humble“. Many people today show pride rather than humility because they will not submit to God, nor hear his word. He that “despiseth the word shall be destroyed”. Yet how often are warnings like these not harkened to, not known, and not taken to consideration! Proverbs 1:25) But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof.))

Failure to hear the word is a grievous error. “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee”. Proverbs 13:12) Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when desire cometh, it is a tree of life.)) But for many how oft does that desire not come! “Seek ye the Lord while he may be found” because when “the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying Lord, Lord,” it will be too late to heed the warning of the Bible. “Behold, I come as a thief” “in the night”. Luke 21:34) And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life and so that day come upon you unawares))

You make some good points. I always thought that quote from Ecclesiastes was more of a lament of Solomon in regards to making one self so consumed with righteousnous, they were unable to enjoy life around them. Thus, one is essentially setting themselves up for failure if they make themselves righteous to the point of isolation from everyone else whom they consider unrighteous.

Now you have to understand that from what I can discern from scripture, Solomon was lamenting over the fact that much of his life was spent on the pursuit of worldly riches, and unfortunately - he came to the conclusion that at some point - he may not be able to take those riches with him.

We know in part that our journey and walk and life shouldn't be surrounded by the riches and wealth of the world, but instead we should be focused on sharing and partaking with love and fellowship with one another. The kingdom in itself is made up of righteousnous, truth, love and honor...and thus the biggest wealth we can partake in this life and the next is fellowship and love of God and our fellow man.

Friend of I AM
Nov 9th 2008, 06:40 PM
One of the things that I wanted to add was that although the pursuit of knowledge is a good thing, at some point the knowledge unto itself becomes very worthless if there is no love encompassing it. I think of times when people use their knowledge for the purpose of hurting as oppossed to helping others. What has one really gained when they've used the knowledge God has imparted them with for self benefit? From what I can gather not much. If we turn what God has made for good into something that is evil, it makes what God has given us worthless. This was the situation with Israel for a time. They took the knowledge and wisdom of God, and decided to use it for the sake of glorifying themselves instead of their creator. Thus, when we move forward in this life -- I think it is important to use what we've been given to not only help ourselves, but primarily for the glory of God and to assist and help others. The knowledge itself may pass away, but the love of God that has spread from the giving of the knowledge will last forever.

In Christian Love,

Stephen