PDA

View Full Version : Horseback riding accident

rabidchipmunk
Nov 9th 2008, 11:06 PM
I went horseback riding thursday for like the first time in 10 years. They had me wear spurs cuz my horse was only green broke and needed some extra incentive to get going. Me and one other girl went out in the woods and she was jumping her horse over a tree that had fallen so she asked if I wanted to try it. I'd never jumped before but I went for it. the horse kinda half assed it so she was like, go again. This time after the horse hit the ground it took off. There was a tree limb about an inch across coming right for my face. I had time to think 2 thoughts. "wow this is fast.' and "oh ****". I tried to throw my hands up and lean back in the saddle to miss it but the girl i was with said i started to fall when i leaned back so i sat back up and took the limb to the face. I don't know. I remember hitting the ground hard and I don't know if I got dragged or if I just had that much momentum cuz I cleaned up the forest floor with my face. First thing I could get to was my fire radio so I was on there yelling for rescue. 911 couldn't copy me well so I dug my cell phone out for the main call. then as the fire department was responding i was able to switch over to their repeater and talk to them as they were coming in. They had to drive through a couple pastures to get to me and they had to carry me on a backboard out of the woods. I landed on my left hip. They called in a chopper cuz of the possible distance of how far back I was. The paramedic was like do you wanna fly cuz it's gonna be really bumpy coming out of here. So I ended up being air lifted to the local hospital. The dr said I'm real lucky. My face is scratched up and i'm starting to bruise under my hip. I have to follow up with my regular dr cuz they tried to get a u.a. and it came back that there was some blood in it but they think it was from the catheder. (not fun). But I'll be glad to see him cuz sometimes this hospital tends to miss things like broken bones and from reading in my emt book i have a couple of the signs/symptoms of a fracture. The pain and bruising is one thing but i'm starting to get pins and needles in my hip. That's one of the 5 p's of a fracture. IDK, maybe it's just something involving nerves. We'll see tuesday. The helicopter ride was fun. They think maybe when I landed from the jump i pulled in to stay on the horse and accidentally spurred it. That's one therory. Anyways I've been talking with a lab guy I know online and he says red blood cells in a u.a. isn't normal even for a cath insert.

moonglow
Nov 9th 2008, 11:11 PM
Ouch! I am sorry this happened to you! Reminds me of the time I ran into a tree while riding a dirt bike...that was no fun. :cool: Yours sounds worse!

Praying they find any broken bones or other problems they might have missed the first time and soon! Praying for quick healing...

God bless

sevenseas
Nov 9th 2008, 11:44 PM
Hey.....hope and pray you are feeling better and that any broken bones or other damage that needs to be addressed is found. This is my first post here, but your post caught my eye because I have horses and when I read how your accident happened, I just winced. I don't know who you went riding with, but they should have known better.

I guess you know by now you should not have been on a green horse and that you should NOT have worn spurs. Spurs are for horses in schooling.....not green horses who sometimes are supersensitive to even a leg against their flank. So awful this happened to you, but I tell you, that must be a decent horse you were on.....it could have been way worse.

It really wasn't the horses' fault and I'm glad it was not worse for you.

locboxx
Nov 10th 2008, 05:48 AM
That is crazy! That is like the worst case scenario or something! I hope you feel better!

Redneck Charger
Nov 10th 2008, 07:44 AM
praying for you..:pray:

Frances
Nov 10th 2008, 04:45 PM
:pray: that all injuries are diagnosed correctly, and a speedy recovery.

Agreeing with 7seas re. green horses and spurs - also lean forwards when jumping, not backwards.

rabidchipmunk
Nov 10th 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, I'm able to get around better. Kinda over did it yesterday with walking so i'm sore. Here's the kicker. It wasn't the green broke horse that did it. He actually behaved like a gentleman. But they put spurs on me cuz he didn't want to get going. The other girl I was riding with, more experienced than myself, was riding a horse that was dead broke but spirited. I guess I lost total judgement cuz I'd never jumped before anyway. So, yeah, why not try it in the woods for the first time with a horse I've never been on. They think when this other girls horse came down from the jump I clamped her to hang on and that she got spurred and that's why she took off. One girl said it only went like 3 mph, but Idk if I believe that. It felt a lot faster. My head's cleared up since I d/c the darvacet. Still have a slight hesitation to figuring out what day it is. My knowledge of time is like shot. Apparently I was boarded at the hospital for about 2 hours but it only felt like 30 min. I slept pretty much straight through Thursday night to Saturday afternoon. Then I got tired out getting dressed and tying my shoes. I was able to get my e.r. clinical for emt school canceled Sunday, but I'm supposed to work ambulance thursday and take an extrication class after that for school. So I appreciate everyone's prayers and please keep them coming.

CoffeeCat
Nov 10th 2008, 10:28 PM
Hi there. I'll be praying for you, for a speedy recovery and for healing! Sorry to hear about the accident! :pray:

Frances
Nov 11th 2008, 05:16 PM
:pray: for rapid Healing

(ps. your symptoms seem similar to when I had whiplash, if it continues do see a Dr. . . .)

rabidchipmunk
Nov 11th 2008, 07:38 PM
I saw my dr today. I think he said I bruised the bone, and i irritated/inflamed my sciatic nerve, and that the blood in my urine was probably from the jar to my kidney. Today's u.a. came back clean. He said no riding for a couple weeks and even said I can't do my ambulance clinical thursday so I'll have to reschedule it.

sevenseas
Nov 11th 2008, 07:45 PM
Hey.....glad you are feeling better.....don't blame yourself....spurs + greenbroke horse = :no: Learn to jump in a controlled environment with someone who does not urge you on to disaster with a horse that has no idea of what you want. Try a lesson horse with an instructor. And yeah, you lean forward in what's called a two point position......lean back and probably sawing on his mouth....not good.

I pray you have a full recovery and can still enjoy riding! :thumbsup:

rabidchipmunk
Nov 11th 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. The horse I jumped though, was dead broke. I got off my green broke one to jump on the fully broke one. The fully broke one wrecked me, not the green one.

karenoka27
Nov 11th 2008, 09:18 PM
Dear Father,Thank You that Julie was not hurt permanently. Lord I ask that You would bring quick healing to her body. Thank You that she was able to come back here and share with us that she will be ok. Lord, Thank You for Julie.
In Jesus Name,amen

Colo25
Nov 11th 2008, 09:21 PM
Praying for you and your quick healing.:pray: