Can anyone explain why the sabbath day is no longer kept by many
Christians?

Thanks in advance:)

mikebr
Nov 10th 2008, 10:19 PM
Christians?

I personally believe that Jesus is my Sabbath. I keep Him or better yet He keeps me daily. Read Hebrews cpts 3-4.

Reedan
Nov 10th 2008, 10:23 PM
I personally believe that Jesus is my Sabbath. I keep Him or better yet He keeps me daily. Read Hebrews cpts 3-4.

Thanks for your answer Mikebr :)

Can anyone else try to explain?:)

ƒσяєяυииєя
Nov 10th 2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Reed,

There is another thread related you can check it out click here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=144574&highlight=love+law) but you know that the law of the Lord is perfect as described in the Psalm 119, even convertin the soul.

But when in the Bible was that law changed?

Take care

mikebr
Nov 10th 2008, 10:42 PM
Christians?

Can I assume that you do keep the sabbath? To what extent?

looking4jesus
Nov 10th 2008, 10:44 PM
Christians?

Did Jesus keep the sabbath? did not Jesus heal people on the sabbath?
I think Jesus answer why was that time is short.

God Bless
Randy

mikebr
Nov 10th 2008, 10:46 PM
Carrying
Burning
Extinguishing
Finishing
Writing
Erasing
Cooking
Washing
Sewing
Tearing
Knotting
Untying
Shaping
Plowing
Planting
Reaping
Harvesting
Threshing
Winnowing
Selecting
Sifting
Grinding
Kneading
Combing
Spinning
Dyeing
Chain-stitching
Warping
Weaving
Unraveling
Building
Demolishing
Trapping
Shearing
Slaughtering
Skinning
Tanning
Smoothing
Marking

http://www.teshuvah.com/articles/shabbat/sabbath1.htm

tt1106
Nov 10th 2008, 10:51 PM
We rest in the lord daily. There is no requirement to keep it, because if we worship him daily we are keeping it.
The purpose of the Sabath was to reflect and worship the creator.
That changed with Christ.

looking4jesus
Nov 10th 2008, 10:58 PM
Carrying
Burning
Extinguishing
Finishing
Writing
Erasing
Cooking
Washing
Sewing
Tearing
Knotting
Untying
Shaping
Plowing
Planting
Reaping
Harvesting
Threshing
Winnowing
Selecting
Sifting
Grinding
Kneading
Combing
Spinning
Dyeing
Chain-stitching
Warping
Weaving
Unraveling
Building
Demolishing
Trapping
Shearing
Slaughtering
Skinning
Tanning
Smoothing
Marking

You had me sweating there for a moment I thought watching football was sure to be there!
God Bless
Randy

mikebr
Nov 10th 2008, 11:04 PM
You had me sweating there for a moment I thought watching football was sure to be there!
God Bless
Randy

Maybe? selecting was there. Did you select the game you wanted to watch or change the channel?

I'm a Ga Bulldog fan. They had me doing a lot of grinding (of teeth) on Saturday.:rofl:

Emanate
Nov 10th 2008, 11:17 PM
Carrying
Burning
Extinguishing
Finishing
Writing
Erasing
Cooking
Washing
Sewing
Tearing
Knotting
Untying
Shaping
Plowing
Planting
Reaping
Harvesting
Threshing
Winnowing
Selecting
Sifting
Grinding
Kneading
Combing
Spinning
Dyeing
Chain-stitching
Warping
Weaving
Unraveling
Building
Demolishing
Trapping
Shearing
Slaughtering
Skinning
Tanning
Smoothing
Marking

according to the Rabbis, not scripture.

looking4jesus
Nov 10th 2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe? selecting was there. Did you select the game you wanted to watch or change the channel?

I'm a Ga Bulldog fan. They had me doing a lot of grinding (of teeth) on Saturday.:rofl:

Nope more than enough help with tha one!
God Bless
Randy

mizzdy
Nov 10th 2008, 11:24 PM
Carrying
Burning
Extinguishing
Finishing
Writing
Erasing
Cooking
Washing
Sewing
Tearing
Knotting
Untying
Shaping
Plowing
Planting
Reaping
Harvesting
Threshing
Winnowing
Selecting
Sifting
Grinding
Kneading
Combing
Spinning
Dyeing
Chain-stitching
Warping
Weaving
Unraveling
Building
Demolishing
Trapping
Shearing
Slaughtering
Skinning
Tanning
Smoothing
Marking

I do keep the sabbath and have to say I cook (when I want to!) I can go to the store, I throw trash away all kinds of stuff. I believe Christ came to set things back on track so to speak. With His life death and resurrection I can rest in Him everday but I rest from my worries and focus on Him more as I am cooking dinner as an example. My time spent with family is richer as we share a day together. I don't make a big deal out of it and never figure anyone is in the right or wrong. Even I get bashed from die hard guys for my 'relaxed' way I view the sabbath. When I think of Christ walking through the fields eating wheat I wonder what they were talking about, walking together resting in each others company enjoying the day. Sounds like a good day to me. :) Also I am not Jewish so I wouldn't be keeping all those laws.

Reedan
Nov 10th 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for answering everybody, And yes i do keep the sabbath:)

Toymom
Nov 11th 2008, 12:36 AM
I like this article http://www.gnbcbible.com/sabbath.htm
which includes the fact that the Sabbath was strictly a sign between God and Israel and was never commanded to the gentiles, and that Sunday is NOT the sabbath, and that the Lord wants us to worship Him every day and not hold one day above another
Romans 14:5-6;
"One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."
Galatians 4:10-11;
"You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain."
and there is other good information in that article as well.

Silent Wings
Nov 11th 2008, 02:18 AM
Christians?

Probably not to the satisfaction of your average Sabbath keeper but…

The Sabbath is a significant part of the law, but the keeping of the law doesn’t save anyone, for there is only one Savior and that is Christ Jesus. The law is simply an alarm system to alert people that they are sinning against God and are in desperate need of a Savior. (Romans 3:20)

We can keep the Sabbath all we want, hey no big deal, but when we come to the erroneous conclusion that keeping the Sabbath is somehow more pious than not keeping it, we have fallen into deep deception. (Colossians 2:16)

Carry on…keep your eyes fixed upon the author and finisher of our salvation, our great God and Savior Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Colossians 2:16

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

maasive10
Nov 11th 2008, 04:50 PM
What do you say then to those churches who practice Sunday worship? Those believers who do not work on Sunday, play sports on Sunday, shop on Sunday, travel on Sunday, but keep it a day to worship with fellow believers? If they are in error - is it still wrong to set this day aside?
( I am being totally sincere in these questions - as this is something I am struggling with)

mizzdy
Nov 11th 2008, 07:49 PM
What do you say then to those churches who practice Sunday worship? Those believers who do not work on Sunday, play sports on Sunday, shop on Sunday, travel on Sunday, but keep it a day to worship with fellow believers? If they are in error - is it still wrong to set this day aside?
( I am being totally sincere in these questions - as this is something I am struggling with)

I am not sure who you are addressing this to but I will take a stab at it. Personally I don't say anything to those who wish to keep Sunday as their sabbath. We all are to be convinced in our own mind about what we are to do regarding days etc. Some of the die hard sabbath keepers you will get the obvious stuff like its in the 10 commandments and that one verse so often quoted that says 'those that keep my commandments and have the testimony of Jesus Christ (paraphased I might add) to try and make everyone think they are going against Christ or something like that. The way I see it is I have Christ's sacrifice that took away the legalistic nature of the way the sabbath had been done, I just believe Christ did away with those 613 laws as something that wasn't necessary anymore. I don't ever think that anyone is condemned in anyway for not observing the sabbath but I do believe it is an important but as I stated this is my belief and everyone must make up their own mind. For me it wasn't much of a struggle to have a day to be with family, to have friends over and celebrate each other in love and in faith with Christ and God but I had to learn it wasn't a burden I had thought it was, my husband and his family have a background with the sabbath being very legalistic. When I let that go it became a joy. Did that help you in anyway?

Zack702
Nov 11th 2008, 08:00 PM

Sabbath is Saturday right?

Emanate
Nov 11th 2008, 08:04 PM
We can keep the Sabbath all we want, hey no big deal, but when we come to the erroneous conclusion that keeping the Sabbath is somehow more pious than not keeping it, we have fallen into deep deception. (Colossians 2:16)

would this also apply to judging people who do keep the Sabbath?

one_lost_coin
Nov 11th 2008, 08:07 PM
Christ, while observing the Sabbath, set himself in word and act against this absurd rigorism which made man a slave of the day. He reproved the scribes and Pharisees for putting an intolerable burden on men's shoulders (Matthew 23:4), and proclaimed the principle that "the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" (Mark 2:27). He cured on the Sabbath, and defended His disciples for plucking ears of corn on that day. In His arguments with the Pharisees on this account He showed that the Sabbath is not broken in cases of necessity or by acts of charity (Matthew 12:3 sqq.; Mark 2:25 sqq.; Luke 6:3 sqq.; 14:5). St. Paul enumerates the Sabbath among the Jewish observances which are not obligatory on Christians (Colossians 2:16; Galatians 4:9-10; Romans 14:5). The gentile converts held their religious meetings on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2) and with the disappearance of the Jewish Christian churches this day was exclusively observed as the Lord's Day. - http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13287b.htm

Emanate
Nov 11th 2008, 08:08 PM
Personally I don't say anything to those who wish to keep Sunday as their sabbath.

Would you be as gracious to those who decide to call tuesday wednesday? Sabbath is the only day that has a name in the bible. So saying the first day of the week (Sunday) is the 7th day (Sabbath) is similar to calling green red.

Emanate
Nov 11th 2008, 08:12 PM
St. Paul enumerates the Sabbath among the Jewish observances which are not obligatory on Christians (Colossians 2:16; Galatians 4:9-10; Romans 14:5)./

So we are in error if we do what Paul did (and the gentiles in the first century did), but we are to pattern our lives after what Paul did not say? There is more mention in the NT of Gentiles keeping Sabbath than there is of believers meeting on the first day - the night after Sabbath. Why can Jesus and Paul not be looked to for example? Why is what they did not say more important than what they did?

one_lost_coin
Nov 11th 2008, 08:16 PM

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord's Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees. - from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I think the above recognizes the very good point you make in many ways western society has gone down a bad road but as a more direct answer if you are unable to attend a sunday worship service because of unavoidable circumstances you have not sinned. If you however have chosen to stay home because well you don't feel like going that day or you want to play a round of golf instead. Then you are being very disrespectful to God and committing sin.

You may find the movie "Chariots of Fire" interesting as one of the athletes in it won't compete because a race is held on a Sunday. Maybe it will confuse the matter more, maybe it will inspire you, maybe it will bore you. I don't know but it popped into my head and thought I would throw it in.

mizzdy
Nov 11th 2008, 08:39 PM
Would you be as gracious to those who decide to call tuesday wednesday? Sabbath is the only day that has a name in the bible. So saying the first day of the week (Sunday) is the 7th day (Sabbath) is similar to calling green red.

I myself am not going to tell anyone what day of the week they need to set aside, I am not going to judge anyone concerning the sabbath, everyone must make up their own mind and be convinced. I only know for myself what I have decided. I do believe that from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is the sabbath day. I am not here to get into a disagreement, debate or argument about the sabbath. :pray: I do pray this is not what this thread is going to turn into.

Zack702
Nov 11th 2008, 09:11 PM
Well you gotta admit it is rather ironic if we never sin yet find it hard to relax on a Saturday. That has to be the best commandment ever right? No work on Saturday! PRAISE GOD!

Most people I think follow it. However our hearts tell us to follow it in different ways. Should we sit and twidle our thumbs not moving and trying not to breath? No certianly not.

However what if the purpose of the day is that we forget our work for a day and remember that our God gives us peace. Else we become over stressed and we forsake our faith because of our burdens.

I think it is good to try to keep sabbath at least in our hearts.

mikebr
Nov 11th 2008, 11:30 PM
If you've ever been involved in church ministry Sunday's are anything but "stressless." I wonder if its the same with churches who preach a Saturday sabbath?

Emanate
Nov 12th 2008, 03:17 AM
If you've ever been involved in church ministry Sunday's are anything but "stressless." I wonder if its the same with churches who preach a Saturday sabbath?

I could not answer that one for you , brother. My Sabbath is spent with my family.

Reedan
Nov 12th 2008, 03:41 AM
I myself am not going to tell anyone what day of the week they need to set aside, I am not going to judge anyone concerning the sabbath, everyone must make up their own mind and be convinced. I only know for myself what I have decided. I do believe that from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is the sabbath day. I am not here to get into a disagreement, debate or argument about the sabbath. :pray: I do pray this is not what this thread is going to turn into.

I also try to keep the Sabbath from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown:)

ƒσяєяυииєя
Nov 12th 2008, 03:51 AM
I also try to keep the Sabbath from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown

So do I, it is a blessing, and a promise :D

Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea: Isaiah 48:17,18.

maasive10
Nov 12th 2008, 04:16 AM

I understand where you are coming from - we attend two worship services on Sundays and sometimes it doesn't feel like rest - we rush to get three little kiddos (3 kids under 3.5years) out the door for the morning service - we come home to eat - making sure the kiddos don't get their nice clothes dirty - feed the baby, put the baby down for a nap - try to get one myself and then out the door for the afternoon service. At night we usually stay home and have a family night - but once a month we get together for supper with my husbands side of the family for supper (10 adults and 12 kiddos under 7). Day of rest .. ummmm... doesn't always seem that way.

mizzdy
Nov 12th 2008, 04:28 PM

I have talked with a few ministers who observe the sabbath and none of them tell me the day is stressfull, one actually told me after services he would spend time with others then went home and took a nap. Afterwards he and his wife may go and meet some for dinner or have some over. Its all about being with family and friends and sharing in God's grace and Christ's glory of the cross.

mizzdy
Nov 12th 2008, 04:32 PM
I also try to keep the Sabbath from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown:)

Thats the way its supposed to be! I am so glad Christ came and set straight all those legalities! :pp

So do I, it is a blessing, and a promise :D

Absolutely it is!!! :)