PDA

View Full Version : Old and New Testament

JanH
Nov 11th 2008, 02:42 PM
I am busy reading through the book of Matthew and as I read through it I discovered the difference between the Old testimonial law and the New Testament's Guidelines. In the Old Testament if you do not follow the Laws of the prophets you get punished by death. And in the new testament where God sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins he renewed the Old Testament. That we all should know but some people are still bound by the laws of the Old Testament, I not saying it do not matter but in the New Testament you have guidelines where you must follow them so you can have a prosperous live. You’re not bound by them but if you follow them you will have the blessing of the Lord. If you go through the book of Matthew you will see Jesus says allot of the time, you must do something/follow his guidelines "so that". Which means you do not have to but if you do you will have the blessing of the Lord.

Biastai
Nov 11th 2008, 03:14 PM
I am busy reading through the book of Matthew and as I read through it I discovered the difference between the Old testimonial law and the New Testament's Guidelines. In the Old Testament if you do not follow the Laws of the prophets you get punished by death. And in the new testament where God sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins he renewed the Old Testament. That we all should know but some people are still bound by the laws of the Old Testament, I not saying it do not matter but in the New Testament you have guidelines where you must follow them so you can have a prosperous live. You’re not bound by them but if you follow them you will have the blessing of the Lord. If you go through the book of Matthew you will see Jesus says allot of the time, you must do something/follow his guidelines "so that". Which means you do not have to but if you do you will have the blessing of the Lord.

I don't recall this type of teaching structure of Jesus in Matthew. Could you give some examples?

I thought Jesus used the teaching structure "You have heard it was said........but I say to you......." However, Jesus made it clear he was not revising the Law.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:17-19 (NIV)

Clarence T. Craig in his The Beginnings of Christianity explained it more as emphasizing the inner attitude reflecting more of God's will behind the law than redefinition. An example of this is the dispute about divorce between Jesus and the Pharisees.

"Jesus then left that place and went into the region of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds of people came to him, and as was his custom, he taught them.

Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"
"What did Moses command you?" he replied.
They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away." "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
Mark 10:1-9

Contemporary views held by the Jews were either that a man may divorce his wife only if she was adulterous (Rabbis of the Shammai school) or for any reason which displeases the man (Rabbis of the Hillel school). Jesus' interpretation was based on God's will (Genesis 2:24) rather than only the law itself. Jesus looked to penetrate to the inner meaning and God's will of which the law was but a reflection. The Law itself remains undiminished. More deeply reinterpreted? Yes. Altered? No.

Jeremiah also saw problems with law codified and laid onto people from the outside. The law must be understood from within, and this was the reason for the need of the "new covenant" which Jesus inaugurated.

"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."
Jeremiah 31:33,34 (NIV)

Welcome to the Forum and great to have you here!

JanH
Nov 11th 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi, I maybe my grammar was not right on, I'll revise and re-post. English is my 2nd language. In the meantime check out this awesome preaching from Shane Willard and please do reply to the link and say what you guys thing. Bye for now... http://lewendewoord.co.za/newsite/e107_files/downloads/mp3s/2008/m2008-10-19_4_shane_willard_the_authority_of_the_rabbi%20.z ip

Emanate
Nov 11th 2008, 04:55 PM
Contemporary views held by the Jews were either that a man may divorce his wife only if she was adulterous (Rabbis of the Shammai school) or for any reason which displeases the man (Rabbis of the Hillel school). Jesus' interpretation was based on God's will (Genesis 2:24) rather than only the law itself. Jesus looked to penetrate to the inner meaning and God's will of which the law was but a reflection. The Law itself remains undiminished. More deeply reinterpreted? Yes. Altered? No.

There are indeed many examples of this in the NT. We could almost say that Jesus look at the Torah through God's will, which is where the Rabbis failed. Jesus properly interpreted the intent of Torah i.e. God's will, which was to give life (these commandments are life for you).

Frances
Nov 11th 2008, 05:43 PM
I tried the link, but after a considerable time nothing appeared - so. . .

my understanding of the difference between what Jesus taught and the teaching in the Old Testament is that Jesus expects even more from His followers. eg. the Law said the act of adultery earns death, but Jesus said to even look at anyone lustfully is as bad as committing adultery.

God has given each of us free-will to either accept or reject His offer of Salvation (through repentance and trusting Jesus Christ to have died paying our debt for our inherited and personal Sin). . . however, once you or I have accepted His offer there is no more 'free-will' only obedience or disobedience.

Also, the 'prosperity' offered is not necessarily financial ( you may find Hebrews 11 enlightening)

JanH
Nov 12th 2008, 09:59 AM
Ok lets try again, I must say the english Bible makes it so much more difficult to understand.. But listening to the preaching I’ve added above really sheds some light on some stuff. I’ll see if I can add the file to my site and post that link since if doesn’t work. Maybe it’s a proxy thing?? It’s about where Jesus says in the Bible to John, he needs to be born again. In the Jewish law back in the day, the first born get justice and second born gets mercy. And it explains how Jesus came as the 2nd Adam and was born in this world and how he died on the cross for our sins which signifies as a covenant where If we accepts him as our Lord and Savior we are born again in Christ which makes us 2nd born in Christ and then we get the mercy and he takes the justice. It’s really good! Defiantly worth listening to.

Ok back to my first post. I first read about the Prophetic word the writer of the book of John speaks about, every time you’ll read it says: “that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet” or something in that line. To me it means that the Prophetic word is not a premonition onto what will happen but an invitation for what can be fulfilled if you accept it and allow the Holy Ghost to lead you on the path of righteousness. So further in the book of John you get the preaching’s of Jesus and if you look at Matthew Chapter 5 verse 43: “Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven”. This is how I see it; he begins by telling about the Law of Moses or the Prophet that spoke it. “Ye have heard that” Then he speaks about the Guideline, “But I say unto you” and then again he says “That ye may be” which to me means that this is not a Law anymore but a guideline for us to follow. If we do not follow this guideline, well you’ll have to listen to the preaching I posted earlier to see where it all comes together.

Well I hope this makes more sence.. Bye for now.