PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Bibles

Tbone
Nov 11th 2008, 02:57 PM
I've noticed that a few people at our church use parallel Bibles. Last sunday a friend of mine showed me his new NASB/Amplified Parallel Bible, and it was really interesting how comparing the two versions was helpful in Scripture study.

How do you feel about parallel Bibles?, Do you use them or hate them?, would you recommend them and why? What Bible versions would be most useful to you in a Parallel Bible?

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 11th 2008, 03:35 PM
To my point of view, I rather use NIV instead of Parallel Bible scared bad translation.;) Who knows what will be written in that Bible????

MercyChild
Nov 11th 2008, 03:54 PM
Well I am new in Christ, and I did not know that there is a diffrence in Bibles. I thought a Bible is a bible. Thank you for sharing, at least I can do some homework now.:hmm: Lucky I am not english speaking, and there is only two available bibles in my language!

Marc B
Nov 11th 2008, 04:10 PM
Best to use more than one or two translations in your preferred language and compare them with the greek since the original manuscripts were written in greek. For me I rarely use the original KJV and prefer a modern English translation including the NKJV and NIV. I'm not knocking the KJV, just pointing out how people can be confused with context of scripture by soley sticking to a version written for people living centuries ago in their contemporary language. Since I don't speak Shakespearean English why would I want to learn the most precious words ever written in a language almost foreign to me? God doesn't whisper in my ears with words like spake, thou and whence. He wants me to understand what He wants.
:)

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

http://bible.cc/

Emanate
Nov 11th 2008, 04:39 PM
I would recommend:
A Harmony of the Gospels by Robert L. Thomas and Stanley N. Gundy

It lists the Gospels chronologically side by side. Easy format for looking at the Gospels without the time consuming work of flipping back and forth through your bible (which also cuts down on ripped pages ;)).

thepenitent
Nov 11th 2008, 07:35 PM
I've noticed that a few people at our church use parallel Bibles. Last sunday a friend of mine showed me his new NASB/Amplified Parallel Bible, and it was really interesting how comparing the two versions was helpful in Scripture study.

How do you feel about parallel Bibles?, Do you use them or hate them?, would you recommend them and why? What Bible versions would be most useful to you in a Parallel Bible?

Parallel Bibles are too distracting for me but I agree with using multiple translations in one's Bible study. Personally, I alternate between the ESV, KJV and NASB. I'll use one for my daily reading for a couple of weeks, then switch to another for a few weeks and just cycle between them. I think the NASB is definitely best for intense word by word exegetical study. ESV is my favorite for general reading and KJV is best for the sheer poetic quality of the writing.

TRL1957
Nov 11th 2008, 07:59 PM
I received the NIV/KJV Parallel Bible, in 1992. as a Christmas gift from my husband. I truly love it and find it a great source of help as I study the bible.

JordanW
Nov 13th 2008, 01:24 AM
I have a KJV/AMP parallel Bible, I don't use it that much though. I use my KJV Ryrie Study Bible, and my NKJV New Spirit Filled Life Bible the most.

matthew94
Nov 13th 2008, 05:55 AM
I have an 8 translation parallel Bible that I enjoy using from time to time. I believe it has KJV, NASB, NIV, NLT, NKJV, CEV, The Message, Amplified. Since it's only the New Testament, it is not even very thick.

Biastai
Nov 13th 2008, 06:16 AM
I would recommend:
A Harmony of the Gospels by Robert L. Thomas and Stanley N. Gundy

It lists the Gospels chronologically side by side. Easy format for looking at the Gospels without the time consuming work of flipping back and forth through your bible (which also cuts down on ripped pages ;)).

This type of reference is very helpful. Kurt Aland's Synopsis of the Four Gospels is another one.

GraftedIn
Nov 13th 2008, 01:24 PM
I have owned pretty much every study bible out there. For where I am in my studies, I use my KJV/ NLT (2nd update) parallel bible the most! I LOVE this bible. I used to use my Thompson Chain KJV for looking things up, but I bought a mini concordance that fits in my bible case. This contributes to the parallel bible being my main one.

I was raised KJV, but enjoy reading other translations in study. The NLT reads better for me than the NIV. I can't find a KJV/Message parallel or I would use that. I love the memorize the KJV and do word studies from it. I consider a parallel bible to be a study bible with the commentary on the page. :D

danielh41
Nov 14th 2008, 05:06 PM
Well I am new in Christ, and I did not know that there is a diffrence in Bibles. I thought a Bible is a bible. Thank you for sharing, at least I can do some homework now.:hmm: Lucky I am not english speaking, and there is only two available bibles in my language!

You type English very well for a non-speaker...

songladyjenn
Nov 14th 2008, 05:44 PM

What is your native language? For online study I use the NET (http://net.bible.org/home.php) bible. I use is for off line study as well, with it's over 60,000 translator notes is amazing!

danielh41
Nov 14th 2008, 08:31 PM
I've been looking at my NLT and ESV translations side by side quite a bit lately. I haven't been able to find a parallel Bible that compared those two translations (granted they are two of the newer translations around).

IamBill
Nov 14th 2008, 08:50 PM
I like and prefer my KJV.

recently, I was given a 26 translation parallel, it has the KJV in bold, and then ANY variation of other translations(if any) listed under it, verse by verse.
quite an eye opener. ;)