PDA

View Full Version : Satan's Schemes

immortality
Nov 11th 2008, 08:19 PM
"Satan's Schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11) by George Whitefield (1714-1770). "Originally preached in the 1700's. Discusses some of the key "schemes" that Satan uses against Christians. This sermon helps us to understand why godly Christians sometimes struggle in their walk with Christ. We have an enemy of our souls but we are not unaware of his schemes! The sermon that Satan DOES NOT want you to read or listen too!"

http://www.biblebb.com/files/whitefield/SCHEMES.HTM

#1 - Drive us to despair.

#2 - Tempt us to be proud, or to think more highly of ourselves then we should.

#3 - Tempt us to feel perplexed, and to begin to doubt God when our prayers seem to go unanswered.

#4 - Troubling the believer with blasphemous, impure, unbelieving thoughts.

#5 - Tempting us by our carnal friends and relatives.

#6 - Not tempting us at all, in order to "surprise" us when we least expect it.

i felt compelled to post this, as satan's schemes have been all to tangible of a reality in my life lately, particularly number 4.

my mind has been bombarded with horrendously sinister thoughts - so much so that i am not comfortable bringing them up.

however, i have to keep reminding myself that it is actually a good thing, because it's indicative that my spiritual condition is at least healthy enough that satan has found it necessary to attempt to damage it.

george whitefield, in the sermon posted above, says that when we are closest to god, this is when satan will attack us with these blasphemous and impure thoughts the most. man is that true!

markedward
Nov 12th 2008, 01:30 AM
Do people forget what "sin" is?

"Sin" does not mean "Satan made me do it"

"Sin" does not mean "Satan is attacking me"

Sometimes, and I daresay more often than not, "sin" is our own fault. Not Satan's. If I get ticked off at another driver on the road, and I curse at him, it's not "Satan tempted me!" It's me. I'm a sinner, and I'm capable of sinning without Satan's help, or even anyone else's help. Sin is a part of my being while I live on this earth. I see this way to often, people pushing the blame for their sins onto Satan.

People place way too much blame/credit on Satan. The amount of blame I see people put on him has made him transcend higher than God even created him to be, because according to people (Christians), Satan is able to affect our free will, and he is able to be in hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of places at once.

And number 6. You're actually calling it a "scheme" when Satan doesn't tempt you to sin, so that when you do sin, he "surprise" big time? Seriously? We're sinners. We're capable of sinning with or without Satan - or anyone else - there to tempt us.

thepenitent
Nov 12th 2008, 01:42 AM
Well, chapter 6 of Ephesians tells up to put on a whole bunch of God's armor so we can "stand firm against the schemes of the devil"

theBelovedDisciple
Nov 12th 2008, 02:05 AM
One should probably start in the Word and do a word study on the words 'wiles'... and 'devices'....

Look those up in the Greek and find out what they mean... then you can figure out from there 'who' or 'what' has the capapbility of doing those things...

For those who do not believe in a 'living' , literal devil or Satan who walks to and fro on this earth...... then he has got you right where he wants you....

then there are those who blame everything on the devil... I just chuckle sometime... spiritualizing everything bad as being from the hand of Satan...

If you are a true born again Christian.. you 'will' 'know' and be able to discern who your spiritual enemy is... The Holy Ghost will help you to see and hear.... I can guarantee that he 'knows' who you are... as a true born again Christian..... just look at Jesus Himself and Paul from the NT in the book of Acts... evil spirits 'know' who God's chosen are.....

Paul declares the elect ... those chosen before the foundation of the world.. 'will not be ignorant of Satan's schemes.. no matter how broad or diverse they are... on a global scale or on a personal level....

σяєяυииєя
Nov 12th 2008, 03:14 AM
Hi Immortality,

I have had troubles with this aswell:

But thanks be given to God who gives the victory throught our Lord Jesus.

And you know there are great promises to get them and make them ours:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philipians 4 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Phl&c=4):8,6,7.

God bless you -Imortality

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 12th 2008, 12:29 PM
Fight against Satan with reading the Bible day and night, continue to ask GOD to allow you to think correctly filtering all your thoughts...

"Satan's Schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11) by George Whitefield (1714-1770). "Originally preached in the 1700's. Discusses some of the key "schemes" that Satan uses against Christians. This sermon helps us to understand why godly Christians sometimes struggle in their walk with Christ. We have an enemy of our souls but we are not unaware of his schemes! The sermon that Satan DOES NOT want you to read or listen too!"

#3 - Tempt us to feel perplexed, and to begin to doubt God when our prayers seem to go unanswered.

i felt compelled to post this, as satan's schemes have been all to tangible of a reality in my life lately, particularly number 4.

my mind has been bombarded with horrendously sinister thoughts - so much so that i am not comfortable bringing them up.

however, i have to keep reminding myself that it is actually a good thing, because it's indicative that my spiritual condition is at least healthy enough that satan has found it necessary to attempt to damage it.

george whitefield, in the sermon posted above, says that when we are closest to god, this is when satan will attack us with these blasphemous and impure thoughts the most. man is that true!

cross+tie
Nov 12th 2008, 01:12 PM

yep....those attacks of the mind never appeared while living for the flesh or things of this world........

9Marksfan
Nov 12th 2008, 01:25 PM
One should probably start in the Word and do a word study on the words 'wiles'...

Yep! We need to know his METHODS!!!!!

and 'devices'....

Yes - his thoughts and understanding.

Look those up in the Greek and find out what they mean... then you can figure out from there 'who' or 'what' has the capapbility of doing those things...

Care to expand?

theBelovedDisciple
Nov 12th 2008, 06:43 PM
Devices.. greek word 3540:

1) a mental perception, thought
2) an evil purpose
3) that which thinks, the mind, thoughts or purposes

Paul states that born again Chrisitains will not be 'ignorant' of his devices.. who? satan's... devices is translated as the above....

This shows that the enemy of your soul has a mind.. and that he is crafty and cunning.. he has the ability to plot and sheme .. he has intellect... if he didn't Paul would not tell us....... to carry out his wickedness.. he can do it outright.. a majority of the time he uses the 'wicked'.. unsaved.... he used Judas... one of the twelve.. he and his followers have the ability to move in and out of the unsaved... possess them to do his will....

Satan is living creature who has the ability to do this..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wiles. Greek word 3180:

1) cunning arts, deceit, craft, trickery

AV (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3180&t=KJV#) — lie in wait (http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=lie in wait*+G3180) 1, wile (http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria= wile*+G3180) 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here we see again the cunningness and crafitness of satan.. his characteristics and methods are one of deceit.... he is a liar and the father of it.. he never abode in the Truth... he uses fear, condemnation, guilt and downright spiritual intimidation at times to try to trip you up.. keep you from the Promises God has placed in your heart... he works against your faith...

notice.. it states.. that he 'lies in wait'... like a lion that is ready to pounce upon its prey... that takes cunningness and crafitness... and strategy to do things like that..

He hates and despises the 'elect' of God..

Personally I've had times when I've had gotten solid direction from God's Word.. when all of a sudden something else will come along.. from another direction.... sometimes even using the Scripture itself teasing and tantilizing.... looks good but goes against what God's Word tells me... I've known who has set this roadblock or 'bump' in the road.. thats when I've discerned (the Comforter helping me) who it was that 'created' that situation that went against what God's Word was telling me.. Instantly rebuking satan and letting him know what God's Word really tells me... taking the Word of God .. which He has hidden in my heart............which is the Sword of the Spirit... speaking directly at him...

and when you submit to God... resist him.. he will flee...

The supernatural is real.. its as real as the five fingers on your hand... Iniquity and deciet has a FACE....
I spent many years under the dominion and stronghold of satan... but thanks be to God who thru His Mercy, Power, (dunamis) and Forgiveness set me free.. Feb 3 1994..... and this Person who did this was Jesus the Christ.. God Manifest in the flesh...

mizzdy
Nov 12th 2008, 07:21 PM

Sometimes, and I daresay more often than not, "sin" is our own fault. Not Satan's. If I get ticked off at another driver on the road, and I curse at him, it's not "Satan tempted me!" It's me. I'm a sinner, and I'm capable of sinning without Satan's help, or even anyone else's help. Sin is a part of my being while I live on this earth. I see this way to often, people pushing the blame for their sins onto Satan.

People place way too much blame/credit on Satan. The amount of blame I see people put on him has made him transcend higher than God even created him to be, because according to people (Christians), Satan is able to affect our free will, and he is able to be in hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of places at once.

And number 6. You're actually calling it a "scheme" when Satan doesn't tempt you to sin, so that when you do sin, he "surprise" big time? Seriously? We're sinners. We're capable of sinning with or without Satan - or anyone else - there to tempt us.

So true. Its not satans temptation of my will but my own responsibility for what I have done that will be judged. I have seen too often where some put the blame on satan and not on their own actions. As christians we know how to not fall into that trap and temptations but when we do we also know where to look for help and forgiveness. The one remark about satan being in all those places at once may or may not be true (this would place him on the same level as God) but his minions certainly are numerous and can seem to be in all those places at once. :eek: Never under estimate ones own personal responsiblity. :)

immortality
Nov 12th 2008, 07:46 PM

So true. Its not satans temptation of my will but my own responsibility for what I have done that will be judged. I have seen too often where some put the blame on satan and not on their own actions. As christians we know how to not fall into that trap and temptations but when we do we also know where to look for help and forgiveness. The one remark about satan being in all those places at once may or may not be true (this would place him on the same level as God) but his minions certainly are numerous and can seem to be in all those places at once. :eek: Never under estimate ones own personal responsiblity. :)

yes, there are unfortunately those who blame all of their problems, shortcomings, character defects and lack of fruit on satan. then there are those extremely humble christians who make the mistake of blaming themselves for absolutely everything, and forget that there is an adversary prowling around with fierce anger seeking whom he may destroy.

the genuine christian has to wage a daily war against the hellish trinity - the flesh, the devil, and the world. therefore, to blame everything entirely on one of those is foolish.

cross+tie
Nov 12th 2008, 11:36 PM
yes, there are unfortunately those who blame all of their problems, shortcomings, character defects and lack of fruit on satan. then there are those extremely humble christians who make the mistake of blaming themselves for absolutely everything, and forget that there is an adversary prowling around with fierce anger seeking whom he may destroy.

the genuine christian has to wage a daily war against the hellish trinity - the flesh, the devil, and the world. therefore, to blame everything entirely on one of those is foolish.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places....

I think Charles Spurgeon mentions these firey (thought/mind) darts in a book he wrote on spiritual warfare.....

immortality
Nov 15th 2008, 01:19 AM
"There are some here who say, "I am never disturbed in that fashion." Then I am sorry for you. I will tell you the reason of your false peace. You have not the grace of God in your hearts. If you had you would surely find this conflict within you. Do not despise the Christian because he is in the conflict, despise yourself because you are out of it. The reason why the devil lets you alone is, that he knows you are his. He does not need to trouble you much now; he will have time enough to give you your wages as the last. He troubles the Christian because he is afraid of losing him; he thinks that if he does not tease him here, he shall never have the chance to do it in eternity, so he will bite him, and bark at him while he may. That is why the Christian is vexed more then you are."

- Charles Spurgeon