PDA

View Full Version : Discussion If you were Abraham

razormaze
Nov 13th 2008, 04:29 AM
Genesis ch 22 Is my all time favorite Old Testament story

The morning that Abraham was to go off to sacrifice Isaac, I wonder how he was feeling emotionally, as he was preparing to leave? When I think about my own son and how much I love him, I wonder if I would have had that kind of faith... In my mind it's easy to say yes, yet I've never been faced with that strong of a faith test from God... If It were you, how do you think you would feel? Is your faith strong enough that you would go through with it if God asked you to sacrifice your child?

I know It's an example of what God was going to do for man by giving us Jesus, but Abraham didn't know that... My favorite verse is 8: And Abraham said,"My son, God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering."

Now thats faith in God !! Any Time I need strength in my faith I read that chapter again.. In what ways has God tested your faith?

ravi4u2
Nov 13th 2008, 04:48 AM

The morning that Abraham was to go off to sacrifice Isaac, I wonder how he was feeling emotionally, as he was preparing to leave? When I think about my own son and how much I love him, I wonder if I would have had that kind of faith... In my mind it's easy to say yes, yet I've never been faced with that strong of a faith test from God... If It were you, how do you think you would feel? Is your faith strong enough that you would go through with it if God asked you to sacrifice your child?

I know It's an example of what God was going to do for man by giving us Jesus, but Abraham didn't know that... My favorite verse is 8: And Abraham said,"My son, God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering."

Now thats faith in God !! Any Time I need strength in my faith I read that chapter again.. In what ways has God tested your faith?

We are actually called to a greater faith than Abraham. We are called to the faith of Christ Jesus. And the faith of Christ Jesus was not tested but substituted with the ram. It was paid for by the giving up of his very own life. We are called to conform to this image of Christ by to offering our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God as this is our spiritual act of worship. there can be no greater testing than in choosing to die every day.

σяєяυииєя
Nov 13th 2008, 04:51 AM
Hello яαzσямαzє,

It really made me think, well you know if one would look at the race we have a head the goal could look unreachable, sure if one turns to the side of doubt/circumstances. But if in the side of faith we would see the several promises in the Scriptures and take heart to overcome the hinderance.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. Joshua 1:9

And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. Romans 16:20

Just_Another_Guy
Nov 13th 2008, 02:38 PM

I'd probably ask God why I had to give him up first, and ask him if there was some other way to take care of the situation in order to satisfy God's judgement. If there was no other way, I'd probably make a request to have someone else do it..as I could not bear to put my son to death by my own hands.

Matthew

Emanate
Nov 13th 2008, 03:53 PM
To be honest, there are a few examples found in the bible that I must admit I would not made the correct choice. One example I always ponder is when God told Moses he would destroy the children of Israel and make a nation from Moses. My response would probably have been "Great idea, lets get on that."

Friend of I AM
Nov 13th 2008, 06:40 PM
To be honest, there are a few examples found in the bible that I must admit I would not made the correct choice. One example I always ponder is when God told Moses he would destroy the children of Israel and make a nation from Moses. My response would probably have been "Great idea, lets get on that."

No. I doubt that. I think you would have been the same way as Moses. No one who has any bit of a conscience would do that. Can't really live with a grieved conscience and expect happiness afterwards. I'm sure Moses would have thought to himself "I'm the man who destroyed the children of Israel" his entire life, the people whom he was appointed to lead to the promised land. His existence would have been an extremely unhappy/sorrowful one had he gone through with what God had requested. I don't think God was going to do that anyway, he knew what Moses response would be from the onset.