PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Forgetting the Old Hymns / The Saddest Thing In The World

th1bill
Nov 13th 2008, 06:18 AM
We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks. When I need encouragement I am often heard humming or even singing great hymns like It Is Well With My soul. Every time I remember the origin of that hymn I am brought to shame and to tears because of the author's strength as he wrote the lines on the back of an envelope.

The author had planned a trip from Chicago to New York to board a ship to vacation in England with his family when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern and burned all his holdings to the ground in the great Chicago Fire. He sent his wife and daughters ahead for their holiday while he remained to rebuild and to salvage all that he could.

On the trip to England the ship sank. When his wife was saved and arrived in England she sent the telegram, "Saved, Alone!" As he sailed toward England he asked the captain to have him notified when they reached the sight of the sinking, the grave sight of his daughters. It is reported that in the still of the early hours of the morning, he stood on the bow, prayed, praised God and composed the hymn. Just typing it brings me to tears.

Following are the words to Trust And Obey. The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Refrain

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain

MercyChild
Nov 13th 2008, 06:47 AM
Hi th1bill

This is the very first time I heard this story. I woke up this morning being very discouraged. At first a felt overwhelmed by depression, and decided that I would rather get on the forum and search for inspirational Words.

When I started to read this thread, it brought tears to my eyes. Yes, it remininded me that it does not matter what happen in life, how alone one might feel, how angry and bitter. IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL, IF GOD IS STILL WITH ME.

This was so inspiring, thank you for sharing!:hug:

Soj
Nov 13th 2008, 07:36 AM
We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks.

...The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.Amen brother, yet not all of us are "loosing our faith"!

The great hymns of the faith are just that - great! I'm thankful we still sing them at church and at home, and as for me and my house we will continue to sing them until the Lord shows up. Each great hymn is a mini sermon in itself that speaks to the heart, filled with great doctrine about the deity of Christ, the blood, and the pure word of God, to name a few.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

daughter
Nov 13th 2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Bill, that's a beautiful hymn, and the story behind it only makes it more poignant. Do you have a name for the author?

Dani H
Nov 13th 2008, 05:55 PM
That is one of my favorite hymns, if not my absolute favorite. The story behind it just speaks of incredible faith in the light of absolute dire and heartbreaking circumstances. This man had a revelation of his God, and would that we all had the same.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873
- Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1876

Dani H
Nov 13th 2008, 06:04 PM
You know, on a side note ... I know that God is always moving and always revealing Himself and doing new things, but in Scripture we see over and over where in the OT people made altars and land markers to remind themselves of encounters with God and His goodness to them.

I don't believe in living in the past or trying to repeat something in the flesh that can only happen by the Spirit alone, but we have such a rich heritage that it would behoove us to draw from believers that have passed on who have had a solid faith and a solid walk with the Lord and who kept their testimony until the very end. There is a reason certain hymns are treasured, because a price has been paid for them, and when we listen to them, we can sense the Presence of God on that person's life. We would do well to learn from their wisdom and draw from their experiences, because God has not changed. We are surrounded by such an amazing cloud of witnesses, people with strong faith and incredible lives with God, we should embrace that heritage and inheritance and build on it instead of always looking for the next next next thing, without fully appreciating what God has already done and what He has left for us through those gone before us. :hug:

turtledove
Nov 13th 2008, 06:41 PM
We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks. When I need encouragement I am often heard humming or even singing great hymns like It Is Well With My soul. Every time I remember the origin of that hymn I am brought to shame and to tears because of the author's strength as he wrote the lines on the back of an envelope.

The author had planned a trip from Chicago to New York to board a ship to vacation in England with his family when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern and burned all his holdings to the ground in the great Chicago Fire. He sent his wife and daughters ahead for their holiday while he remained to rebuild and to salvage all that he could.

On the trip to England the ship sank. When his wife was saved and arrived in England she sent the telegram, "Saved, Alone!" As he sailed toward England he asked the captain to have him notified when they reached the sight of the sinking, the grave sight of his daughters. It is reported that in the still of the early hours of the morning, he stood on the bow, prayed, praised God and composed the hymn. Just typing it brings me to tears.

Following are the words to Trust And Obey. The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Refrain

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain

I love those old hymns myself.

About the authorship.. The song above..thus "Trust and Obey" was written by John Sammis.

The story told, as is mentioned by the OP is written by Horatio B Spafford who wrote, "It is Well With My Soul."

It is really a wonderful story and >>

You can find information about Spafford and more of the story on the Glimpses of Christian History (website) - Horatio B. Spafford...

here: http://chi.gospelcom.net/GLIMPSEF/Glimpses2/glimpses210.shtml

wiseoldowl ... facilitator...C&E... :)

th1bill
Nov 13th 2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Bill, that's a beautiful hymn, and the story behind it only makes it more poignant. Do you have a name for the author?
Words: Horatio Spafford, 1873. Music: Philip Bliss, 1876.

turtledove
Nov 13th 2008, 07:25 PM
Words: Horatio Spafford, 1873. Music: Philip Bliss, 1876.

We checked this out and you are listing the writer of "It is Well with My Soul." and the story you mention refers to him, Horatio Spafford; but the song you quoted is "Trust and Obey," by John Sammis.

Here is the information on John Sammis as writer of "Trust and Obey."

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Trust_and_Obey/

They are both fine old hymns. :)

daughter
Nov 14th 2008, 10:47 AM
This would be a good thread to share our favourite old hymns.

One of my favourites (makes me cry every time we sing the original version in church) "And Can it Be".

Sadly they tweak the lyrics in some churches and choirs, so instead of "pursuing Jesus to death," we simply "spurn His love." But the original though it's more savagely truthful, is also immensley more encouraging. Because I know what I did to my Lord, and this shows me the wonderful extent of His love.

Charles Wesley wrote some real doozies, didn't he? :D

1. And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

2. 'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
to sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.

3. He left his Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite his grace!),
emptied himself of all but love,
and bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!

4. Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
fast bound in sin and nature's night;
thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
my chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

5. No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
alive in him, my living Head,
and clothed in righteousness divine,
bold I approach th' eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeIGbKqiw8&feature=related

IMINXTC
Nov 15th 2008, 06:18 AM
In the mission field, we depend very heavilly on these classic hymns of the faith, and "Trust and obey" continues to be a favourite and pivotal song.

Though some would say, "you must modernize and seek out new musical genres," truth be known, these hymns convey spiritual truth and the salvation experience in such depth and ease, they could never be replaced, and certainly can be credited with helping to bring multitudes to the saving knowlege of Christ.

includes: "It is well," and "And can it be," as cited in this thread.

th1bill
Nov 15th 2008, 04:38 PM
As a musician that God is allowing Satan to sift the first tune I have learned on the Harmonica, my new instrument, is God is Good. I learned it because it is a part of my everyday life and it is a simple number to play. The first big push to learn is, imo, one of the most inspirational hyms ever written.
... In The Garden is a tune that I use to fortify myself with by putting on the full armor of God. I've never heard the origin of this number but I have listened to a China Pastor, called Pastor Lee. Pastor Lee served fifteen years in China's State Penal System for preaching the Gospel of Jesus, the Christ. Being a Church Leader it seemed to be very important to break him and there-by use him as an example, a living example.
... Everyday Pastor Lee would be issued his hand tools and he would march off to his government assigned task. As he marched down into the open septic system h began to sing In the Garden. Pastor Lee said that just as in the song God met him there every day of those fifteen years and the song was his sanity, his health and spoke to the reason he continued to go forward, preaching the Gospel, every night in the prison. I often find myself in prayer with tears rolling down my cheeks and all I can think to pray is "thank-you, LORD!"

musicmiss
Nov 17th 2008, 05:47 PM
I've never heard that story before.... That's so amazing. It inspires me to REALLY dig deeper and deeper into the Word of God, and to dig my feet deeper into the Rock that I too may stand firm when trials come up. Thank you for sharing that story! That was amazing!

turtledove
Nov 20th 2008, 03:34 PM
daughter has a good idea about sharing some good old hymns to bless one another...

Here is one of my favorites.

Just as I Am, Without One PleaText: Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871
Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816-1868

Here are the words to "Just as I Am"

Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot, to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in thee to find,

Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, thy love unknown hath broken every barrier down; now, to be thine, yea thine alone,

[I love this hymn which tells me how great is my Savior, Christ Jesus, to receive me "Just as I Am." ]

:amen: :)

th1bill
Nov 20th 2008, 04:04 PM
Christianity was already very old by the time some of those hymns were new. I appreciate their value, but to me they have nothing to do with faith.
... In reality the hymns of the past are so filled with the examples of faith that we would do well to learn them and to learn why they were written. Those hymns, unlike much of today's Christian Music are just loaded with the Gospel. I know of several folks that were led to the foot of the cross, just by listening to these numbers on the radio and at Saturday Night Sing-alongs.
... When we become familiar with the old hymns we discover Miss Fanny Cosby. Miss Cosby was blinded as a very young child and yet she wrote hundreds of hymns and each number by her gives us insight into her life as she lived for Christ. Much of the model for my life comes from Miss Cosby, though blind from infancy she felt that she was blessed to be blind because the very first thing she recalls seeing is Jesus. If a precious lady like that can demonstrate such mercy, wisdom and character while never having seen this world how could an ex-bad boy like myself ever complain because the LORD has allowed Satan to afflict and to sift me?
... You see, I draw great faith from the pieces of other's lives.

turtledove
Nov 20th 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Bill, your answer is good and well taken, but the post you quote has been deleted by another facilitator. I changed the title a little so to include about the old hymns which daughter has suggested we share.

This thread has been thought provoking and inspirational. Thanks for starting it.

God bless: :pray:

wiseoldowl facilitator..

ConqueredbyLove
Nov 21st 2008, 02:04 AM
This is a wonderful thread. We do miss much rich theology by forgetting the old hymns. I am grateful I was brought up in a church that sang them even tho I was not saved at that time.

Now when I sing some of them I feel as if I could almost be raptured because of the beauty of the words given to our Savior. Daughter posted one song my Charles Wesley. The one I post below is considered by some to be the greatest hymn ever written...

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.

"Jesus, Lover of My Soul"
Charles Wesley

Here is the story behind it.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/img/p/a/r/parry_j2.jpg
Joseph Parry (1841-1903)

Mrs. Mary Hoo­ver, of Belle­fonte, Penn­syl­van­ia, whose grand­mo­ther was the her­o­ine of the sto­ry, has re­lat­ed to her pas­tor this fam­i­ly tra­di­tion: Charles Wesley was preach­ing in the fields of the par­ish of Killy­leagh, Coun­ty Down, Ire­land, when he was at­tacked by men who did not ap­prove of his doc­trines. He sought re­fuge in a house lo­cat­ed on what was known as the Is­land Barn Farm. The far­mer’s wife, Jane Low­rie Moore, told him to hide in the milk­house, down in the gar­den. Soon the mob came and de­mand­ed the fu­gi­tive. She tried to qui­et them by of­fer­ing them re­fresh­ments. Go­ing down to the milk­house, she di­rect­ed Mr. Wesley to get through the rear win­dow and hide un­der the hedge, by which ran a lit­tle brook. In that hid­ing-place, with the cries of his pur­su­ers all about him, he wrote this im­mor­tal hymn. De­scend­ants of Mrs. Moore still live in the house, which is much the same as it was in Wes­ley’s time.

Sorry, I got the picture of the one that gave the music to the words in there by mistake...Good lookin, huh? ;)

Scruffy Kid
Nov 21st 2008, 03:21 AM
I also love this thread! Thanks so very much, Bill, and bless you!, for starting it!!

There are so many wonderful hymns it's hard to choose!
But this one just came up in conversation with some friends recently!
I love the line "If you tarry till you’re better, You will never come at all."
When things are bad, when I have done wrong, at all times ... the first
thing I need to do is to rush to the arms of the Savior.

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

Refrain..... I will arise and go to Jesus,
............... He will embrace me in His arms;
............... In the arms of my dear Savior,
............... O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh...Refrain

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all............Refrain

View Him prostrate in the garden;
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him;
Sinner, will this not suffice?..........Refrain

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
Pleads the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly,
Let no other trust intrude..............Refrain

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him...........Refrain

ConqueredbyLove
Nov 21st 2008, 03:38 AM
Scruffy Kid,

That so blessed me :hug:

Thank you.......:hug: :hug: :hug:

Ashley274
Nov 21st 2008, 05:45 AM
I watch tct.tv online and also on TV and they have a show called DOWN HOME..(30 minutes of good ole christian hymns)..AND I love so many of them...Like In the Garden, By the Sweet by and by just so many songs I have never heard in my life.....They are not dead they are not gone but hard to find..now you all have a place to go to hear them. These men are older and play instraments I have never seen one plays a guitar like thing but holds it....like on its back....The station goes to over 176 nations in the world and THIS show its the number 1 ..which stunned me because though I like it I like Rejoice better

IMINXTC
Nov 21st 2008, 10:10 AM
A great little site for classic hymns: Digital Hymnal

My personal favorite here: "Blessed Assurance" by Fanny Crosby 1873

http://www.digitalhymnal.org/dhymn.cfm?hymnNumber=462#

By clicking the midi file you can hear your hymn in strings or harmony.

daughter
Nov 21st 2008, 10:23 AM
Conquered by Love, I have never heard that hymn before, but the lyrics made me cry, and the story behind them.

I'm trying to find a version to listen to. So far all I've found is this gentleman, whose performance is lovely... but I imagine it's a different tune he's playing?

9Marksfan
Nov 21st 2008, 10:41 AM
This is a wonderful thread. We do miss much rich theology by forgetting the old hymns. I am grateful I was brought up in a church that sang them even tho I was not saved at that time.

Now when I sing some of them I feel as if I could almost be raptured because of the beauty of the words given to our Savior. Daughter posted one song my Charles Wesley. The one I post below is considered by some to be the greatest hymn ever written...

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.

"Jesus, Lover of My Soul"
Charles Wesley

Here is the story behind it.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/img/p/a/r/parry_j2.jpg

Joseph Parry (1841-1903)

Mrs. Mary Hoo­ver, of Belle­fonte, Penn­syl­van­ia, whose grand­mo­ther was the her­o­ine of the sto­ry, has re­lat­ed to her pas­tor this fam­i­ly tra­di­tion: Charles Wesley was preach­ing in the fields of the par­ish of Killy­leagh, Coun­ty Down, Ire­land, when he was at­tacked by men who did not ap­prove of his doc­trines. He sought re­fuge in a house lo­cat­ed on what was known as the Is­land Barn Farm. The far­mer’s wife, Jane Low­rie Moore, told him to hide in the milk­house, down in the gar­den. Soon the mob came and de­mand­ed the fu­gi­tive. She tried to qui­et them by of­fer­ing them re­fresh­ments. Go­ing down to the milk­house, she di­rect­ed Mr. Wesley to get through the rear win­dow and hide un­der the hedge, by which ran a lit­tle brook. In that hid­ing-place, with the cries of his pur­su­ers all about him, he wrote this im­mor­tal hymn. De­scend­ants of Mrs. Moore still live in the house, which is much the same as it was in Wes­ley’s time.

Sorry, I got the picture of the one that gave the music to the words in there by mistake...Good lookin, huh? ;)

Thanks so much, CbL - I really love that hymn too, although I wasn't aware of the third verse. When my mother was dying in hospital in 1994 and was pretty well unconscious with sedation, the last thing I communicated to her was to sing that great hymn and Rock of Ages to her quietly - here's the words to Rock of Ages - I know there is an "upbeat" tune to it, but I have always known it to a much more solemn and stately tune (sorry, I don't know the name of the tune):-

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When my eyes shall close in death,
When I rise to worlds unknown,
And behold Thee on Thy throne,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

My mother passed away within the following hour. I had never been sure if she was truly saved or not - she came from a generation where expressing one's beliefs was not the done thing but instead one expressed one's faith in actions. She was also influenced by the "just do your best and God will accept you" message that is so commonplace here in Scotland, but she claimed to be born again. She died not long after Easter - I remember her talking about the resurrection in a moment of great weakness, as if she was placing her hope in it. I believe I received the assurance I needed in two ways - (a) her choice of hymns for her funeral which she shared privately with Dad - one was There Is A Green Hill Far Away, with these lovely words:-

There was no other good enough to pay the price of sin
He only could unlock the gate of Heaven and let us in.

Also an old one that was I'm sure intended for Dad's benefit - Yield Not To Temptation - possibly a strange choice, but she was thinking of the temptation to despair and unbelief - the chorus is great:-

Ask the Saviour to help you,
Comfort, strengthen and keep you,
He is willing to aid you,
He will carry you through!

(b) The other assurance was amazing. The first church service we went to after Mum passed away, one of the hymns was Rock of Ages! That was in a church in the town I grew up in - we came back home a few days later and got to church at night - the first hymn? Jesus, Lover of My Soul! And that was the ONLY time that hymn was ever sung in that church in the three years we were there! (The church didn't much like older hymns but it was a visiting speaker from Wycliffe Bible Translators that day and he clearly did!).

Incredible.......

Brother Mark
Nov 21st 2008, 11:32 AM
My favorite hymn is subject to change at any given moment. But for years, one has remained consistently at the top. The love of God. A short history behind it from this website (http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/loveofgo.htm)

Words: Frederick M. Lehman (http://bibleforums.org/../../../bio/l/e/lehman_fm.htm); he wrote this song in 1917 in Pasadena, California, and it was published in Songs That Are Different, Volume 2, 1919. The lyrics are based on the Jewish poem Haddamut, written in Aramaic in 1050 by Meir Ben Isaac Nehorai, a cantor in Worms, Germany; they have been translated into at least 18 languages.
One day, dur*ing short in*ter*vals of in*at*ten*tion to our work, we picked up a scrap of pa*per and, seat*ed up*on an emp*ty le*mon box pushed against the wall, with a stub pen*cil, add*ed the (first) two stan*zas and chor*us of the song…Since the lines (3rd stan*za from the Jew*ish po*em) had been found pen*ciled on the wall of a pa*tient’s room in an in*sane asy*lum af*ter he had been car*ried to his grave, the gen*er*al opin*ion was that this in*mate had writ*ten the epic in mo*ments of san*ity.
Frederick M. Lehman, “History of the Song, The Love of God,” 1948
The Love of God The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.

Refrain

O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints’ and angels’ song.
When years of time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men, who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
God’s love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adam’s race—
The saints’ and angels’ song.

Refrain

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.
Refrain

There is something to be said for the great songs coming out today in obedience to the command of our Lord to "sing a new song". I love the praise and worship type Psalms where we sing verticle music to God as the Psalmist did. The hymns encourage my heart during difficult times. The psalms/praise/worship music allow me to give my heart to God.

Scruffy Kid
Nov 21st 2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks so much, Marksfan, for this wonderful story about your parents!!

And for the verses you shared!

"Rock of Ages" is by Augustus Toplady, written in 1776; the name of the stately tune, written by Thomas Hastings in 1830, is "Toplady" -- so the tune was, clearly, written to fit the words. This info, along with other interesting info, is on the cyberhymnal site, which is generally terrific, has almost everything, and gives a piano version of all the tunes which plays when you go to the song.

Here's some of the info on "Rock of Ages" at Cyberhymnal www.cyberhymnal.org

Sir William Henry Wills, in a letter to Dean Lefroy, published in the [London] Times in June, 1898, says "Toplady was one day overtaken by a thunderstorm in Burrington Coombe, on the edge of my property, Blagdon, a rocky glen running up into the heart of the Mendip range, and there, taking shelter between two massive piers of our native limestone rock, he penned the hymn,

Let me hide myself in Thee.
There is a precipitous crag of limestone a hundred feet high, and right down its centre is the deep recess in which Toplady sheltered."(Telford, p. 257)

... In another story:
"A missionary…complained of the slow progress made in India in converting the natives on account of explaining the teachings of Christianity so that the ignorant people could understand them. Some of the most beautiful passages in the Bible, for instance are destroyed by translation. He attempted to have [Rock of Ages] translated into the native dialect, so that the natives might appreciate its beauty. The work was entrusted to a young Hindu Bible student who had the reputation of being something of a poet. The next day he brought his translation for approval, and his rendering, as translated back into English, read like this:

Very old stone, split for my benefit,
Let me absent myself under one of your fragments.(Jones)

Of course, the title line refers to Exodus 33:21-23, in which God sheltered Moses, when His glory passed by -- as does the great old hymn (by Fanny Crosby, music by Wm. Kirkpatrick) "A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord" ("He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock (and covers me there with His hand)")

9Marksfan
Nov 21st 2008, 12:31 PM
"Rock of Ages" is by Augustus Toplady, written in 1776; the name of the stately tune, written by Thomas Hastings in 1830, is "Toplady" -- so the tune was, clearly, written to fit the words.

Thanks for that info, but that isn't actually the tune - I've heard that one played and sung in a "lusty" way whihc is quite irreverent - I'm fairly sure the version I know is Reidhead's Petra, although I can't download it.

This info, along with other interesting info, is on the cyberhymnal site, which is generally terrific, has almost everything, and gives a piano version of all the tunes which plays when you go to the song.

Here's some of the info on "Rock of Ages" at Cyberhymnal www.cyberhymnal.org (http://www.cyberhymnal.org)

Thanks for that - I'm sure lots of folk will find it a real blessing.

Indueseason
Nov 21st 2008, 03:29 PM
What a wonderful thread! The worship songs today just dont have the power to lift and encourage like the old ones did. The old hymns had so much biblical truth, they scared the pants off of satan :lol:. They were not just songs of praise but bold Christian statements! There are some good worship songs out there, but most are just too emotional and wishy washy for me. I'm trying to find the lyrics to the ones I used to like. I found this one.....

Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Lyrics ~ Walter Chalmers Smith, 1824 - 1908
Music ~ Welsh melody from John Roberts's Canaidau y Cyssegr, 1839

Stanza 1:
Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great name we praise.

Stanza 2:
Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice like mountains high soaring above
Thy clouds which are fountains of goodness and love.

Stanza 3:
To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish, but naught changeth Thee.

Stanza 4:
Thou reignest in glory; Thou dwellest in light;
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
All laud we would render: O help us to see 'Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee.

:hug: blessings

Indueseason
Nov 21st 2008, 03:35 PM
:hug: This has always been a favorite, but has a special place in my heart right now.

Be Thou My Vision

~ Irish Hymn, c. 8th century
~ Translated by Mary E. Bryne, 1880-1931
~ Versified by Eleanor H. Hull, 1860-1935

Stanza 1:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Stanza 2:
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Stanza 3:
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Stanza 4:
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

Stanza 5:
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall, Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

ConqueredbyLove
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:05 AM
Conquered by Love, I have never heard that hymn before, but the lyrics made me cry, and the story behind them.

I'm trying to find a version to listen to. So far all I've found is this gentleman, whose performance is lovely... but I imagine it's a different tune he's playing?

Here is the music, daughter. Usually, I have heard it sung a bit slower.

Moderator, a link to cyber hymns :hug:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/j/l/jlmysoul.htm

btw...did I read that you are in MaClaren's country? I love his writings! I think I must have read almost all of them. What a lover of Jesus he was and so humble!

Unfortunately, I believe most have not read him because he was eclipsed by Spurgeon....

ConqueredbyLove
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:27 AM
9Marksfan,

That is such a precious, precious story! How dear that must have been to Jesus when you sang to your mum that last hour! She heard that song! The last sense to depart a dying soul is the sense of hearing. And the events that happened following were certainly God-ordained it seems :hug:. He is so good to reassure us, isn't He? :hug:

Brother Mark,

Thank you, so very much for that song "The Love of God". I am going to look further into that song. Those words are so incredibly beautiful! And, I know what you say about the praise and worship songs of today and the hymns. I love them all :hug: Just think. In Heaven we will have all of eternity to sing alllll of them before our beloved Saviour!!! Me thinks it not strange he wrote the song in Pasadena, California... That is where I grew up....Wow...100 years (almost) following when he wrote it in the town I grew up, I am hearing about it. Isn't God good???!!!!

th1bill
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:42 AM
I was introduced to Marvelous Grace by a pastor I was seated under for about five years and I just found the music notation for the harmonica today. When I perform this number I love to sing the harmony behind a gentleman named Gary Kana. When the refrain is sang it begins with the lead singing Grace... while the harmony singer sings Marvelous Grace behind him and on the second Grace... the harmony sings Wonderful Grace and then finish the line together. When Gary and I sing this number we both close our eyes and pray it. I've never been certain which of us crys the most when we pray this number but my wife assures me that there are tears of love for our LORD on both our faces. The words are by Julia Johnston (1911) and the music is by Daniel B. Towner (1910.) It is also titled Grace Greater Than Our Sin in some publications. I am completely thrilled that I have found the sheet music for my new instrument for this hymn and now I'll be able to play it for my LORD all the time.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.
Refrain
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.
Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
Refrain
Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
Brighter than snow you may be today.
Refrain
Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see His face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?
Refrain

Scruffy Kid
Dec 2nd 2008, 02:13 PM
(Bump)

It's very easy for us to start to turn away from God, not necessarily though temptation, but through distraction, business, and (for me, often) anxiety. (Jesus says of those who prove unfruitful in Mark 4 "The cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desire for other things, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.") Our hope is not in our possessions or joys, or even our friends and families, and not certainly in our own efforts -- but in God. Thus, what I need is to learn to place my hope there, where true joys are to be found: to set my confidence on Christ, to gaze upon Him -- not on my fears, worries, and failures -- and find my peace in Him.

This great old hymn, perhaps not familiar to all (I learned it late, but some decades ago) has come back to comfort and strengthen me at various times.

Jesus, I am resting -- resting in the joy of what Thou art!
Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.
Refrain:..... Jesus, I am resting, resting,
............... In the joy of what Thou art;
............... I am finding out the greatness
............... Of Thy loving heart.O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine......................Refrain

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!.........................Refrain

Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.......................Refrain

Words: Jean S. Pigott, 1876.
Music: Tranquility, James Mountain, Hymns of Consecration and Faith, 1876.

Bob Carabbio
Dec 4th 2008, 05:05 AM
The Issacs version of "IT IS WELL" is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaar6Ij55ig

One of the best, I think

Chris38
Dec 4th 2008, 11:05 AM
daughter has a good idea about sharing some good old hymns to bless one another...

Here is one of my favorites.

Just as I Am, Without One PleaText: Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871
Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816-1868

Here are the words to "Just as I Am"

Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,

Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot, to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in thee to find,

Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, thy love unknown hath broken every barrier down; now, to be thine, yea thine alone,

[I love this hymn which tells me how great is my Savior, Christ Jesus, to receive me "Just as I Am." ]

:amen: :)

Wise you have hit a soft spot. I love this hymn and have sung it to myself for for so many years I couldnt count. It never gets old.

Another one of my favorites is Holy Holy Holy.

turtledove
Dec 4th 2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, that's a great old hymn..Here it is:

Holy, Holy, Holy.

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!
God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore Thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
Who was, and is, and evermore shall be.
Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity.
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
All Thy works shall praise Thy Name, in earth, and sky, and sea;
Holy, holy, holy; merciful and mighty!
God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

[Words: Reginald Heber, 1826. Heber wrote this hymn for Trin­i­ty Sun­day while he was Vi­car of Hod­net, Shrop­shire, Eng­land.
Music: Nicaea, John B. Dykes, in Hymns An­cient and Mo­dern, 1861 .]

:)

PastorMike
Dec 5th 2008, 05:00 AM
th1bill,
Here at the church where I pastor our Choir sings the old hymns from the old Church Hymnal. Such songs as:
Victory In Jesus, Amazing Grace, Just As I Am, Heaven's Jubilee, Just Over In Glory Land, I Love The Lord, I'll Fly Away, Precious Lord Take My Hand, Lord Lead Me On, I Know My Name Is There, etc.
These songs never fail to bless when we gather to worship. I know that there are many who like the newer songs of today, and if that's their preference, then thats fine for them. The old ones still work for us. My family has all been very talented when it comes to music. All but me. My Dad and Mom sang in several quartets and my uncle led a four part harmony quartet for over 30 years. I guess I like the old ones because they are what I grew up on. God bless you my friend and remember, Charity never faileth! :hug:

Walstib
Jan 11th 2009, 02:45 PM
Here is one of my faves. First time I heard it I was new in Christ, listening to the radio and just heard the refrain on Dr. J. Vernon McGee’s broadcast. Riding the “bible bus” …

Jesus Paid it All

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”

Refrain

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim,
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calvary’s Lamb.

Refrain

And now complete in Him
My robe His righteousness,
Close sheltered ’neath His side,
I am divinely blest.

Refrain

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.

Refrain

When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise,
“Jesus paid it all,”
Shall rend the vaulted skies.

Refrain

And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down
All down at Jesus’ feet.

Refrain

Words: Elvina Mable Hall, 1865.
Music: John T. Grape

shepherdsword
Feb 7th 2009, 11:48 AM
A great little site for classic hymns: Digital Hymnal

My personal favorite here: "Blessed Assurance" by Fanny Crosby 1873

http://www.digitalhymnal.org/dhymn.cfm?hymnNumber=462#

By clicking the midi file you can hear your hymn in strings or harmony.

That's my all time favorite as well.
There is another one that I don't like as much called the "Old rugged Cross"

This song means alot to me now because God has me in place of dying to myself and taking up my cross to follow him. I don't like the sound of this sound as much as Blessed Assurance but the message is awesome:

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.

Think of what kinds of saints we would be if we lived this song.

Dravenhawk
Feb 7th 2009, 04:39 PM
When I had first given my life over to Christ I was attending a small church that sang the song Trust and Obey often. That song nourished me in what was one of my darkest hours of need for Christ. I broke down and cried when I felt the love of a living God who acred enough about me to send his only son to die for my salvation and all that was required of me was to trust and obey. I have serious trust issues as betrayel has been the bread and butter of my life. Trust does not come easy for me and I have learned to obey because I was forced to do so. I had a breakthrough moment when I heard that song and my faith grew 10 times that day. My heart softened and against everything that I knew I reached out to my LORD to trust and obey even if I didnt understand why. This was huge for me and I still cry every time I hear the words of the song "Trust and Obey"

I miss the old hymns and the church I currently attend does not sing them. To me its like having a dinner that comes with no meat. I think I will inquire to my pastor why the hymns of old are not sung where I worship.

Dravenhawk

sunsetssplendor
Feb 10th 2009, 06:36 PM
[quote=th1bill;1865615]We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks. When I need encouragement I am often heard humming or even singing great hymns like It Is Well With My soul. Every time I remember the origin of that hymn I am brought to shame and to tears because of the author's strength as he wrote the lines on the back of an envelope.

I can see my Paw Paw walking around the kitchen preparing his coffee singing "Give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion. Give me that old time religion. Lawd it's good enough for me." It is an old negro spiritual and when I think of all that the slaves endured but still clung to their faith in Jesus it warms me up right good. I ALWAYS associate that song with him. Thank you for such a good post.

GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION

Give me that old time religion
It’s good enough for me

It was good for the Hebrew children
And it’s good enough for me

It will bring you out of bondage

It will do when the world’s on fire

[Inserting this: Words & Music: Anonymous..but first published by Charles D. Tillman
wiseoldowl..forum facilitator. ]

Rosebay
Feb 13th 2009, 01:22 PM
This is one of my favorites. It can help me through a bad day simply by remembering the woman who inspired Cevilla B. Martin to write the lyrics. Mrs. Martin asked this woman, whose husband was chronically ill, how she kept such a positive attitude and she replied, "His eye is on the sparrow so I know he watches me."

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;

Refrain

facilitator insert:

His Eye is On the Sparrow..Words: Civilla Martin, 1905. Music: Charles Gabriel.

iruntherace4Him
Feb 13th 2009, 07:14 PM
I don't need to even audibly hear the old hymns, this morning I was really down and read this post and all through my early morning I had a song in my heart, It Is Well With My Soul. Thanks.

Rosebay
Feb 14th 2009, 12:37 PM
Bill, I thank you for starting this thread. It's so nice to be able to come here and find all my favorites in one spot. I just have a question about whether you have a cut-off date in mind? I grew up in a mainstream church where we sang all the old classics like "Blessed Assurance" but we never sang the ones I think of as "country hymns." In fact I didn't hear "Farther Along" until I heard Emmy Lou Harris sing it.

So this was written in 1937 and may not be classed as an old hymn but I really love it. Whenever I question why bad things happen to good people, I think of this:

Farther Along

Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long,
While there are others living about us,
Never molested, though in the wrong.

Refrain
Farther along we'll know all about it,
Farther along we'll understand why;
Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine,
We'll understand it all by and by.

When death has come and taken our loved ones,
It leaves our home so lonely and drear,
Then do we wonder why others prosper
Living so wicked year after year.

Refrain

Faithful til death, said our loving Master
A few more days to labor and wait,
Toils of the road will then seem as nothing
As we sweep through the beautiful gate.

Refrain

Facilitator insert: We are required on the forum to include the writer of the song..usually words and lyrics if two different ones. Next time please do so. I looked it up for you but won't do so next time..will just delete with out the information needed. See my post about this below this.

"Farther Along" -- Words and Music by J.R. Baxter and W.B. Stevens. :)

wiseoldowl..C&E facilitator.

turtledove
Feb 14th 2009, 03:11 PM
I just have a question about whether you have a cut-off date in mind?

Hi Rosebay and all who post on this thread: we don't usually close threads unless no one is posting on them for an extended period of time or there are problems on the thread or the OP asks us to close one. There is no reason presently why this one shouldn't remain open.

Please note my facilitator insert in the last post here. Am copying it below:

Facilitator insert: We are required on the forum to include the writer of the song..usually words and lyrics if two different ones. Next time please do so. I looked it up for you: "Farther Along" -- Words and Music by J.R. Baxter and W.B. Stevens. :)

wiseoldowl..C&E facilitator.

It is easy to find the writer of a song..just google the song's title and you are usually led right to it; sorry, but next time I will have to delete a post if the writer is not included. God bless, :)

wiseoldowl C&E...forum facilitator..

karenoka27
Feb 14th 2009, 04:08 PM
I was glad to see this thread! I have singing many of the songs posted today!

I wanted to share one as well:
On Jordan's Storm Banks Words by Samuel Stennett-1787- [adding this...Music: M. Durham, 1835]

On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan’s fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.
Refrain
I am bound for the promised land,
I am bound for the promised land;
Oh who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the promised land.
O the transporting, rapturous scene,
That rises to my sight!
Sweet fields arrayed in living green,
And rivers of delight!
Refrain
There generous fruits that never fail,
On trees immortal grow;
There rocks and hills, and brooks and vales,
With milk and honey flow.
Refrain
O’er all those wide extended plains
Shines one eternal day;
There God the Son forever reigns,
And scatters night away.
Refrain
No chilling winds or poisonous breath
Can reach that healthful shore;
Sickness and sorrow, pain and death,
Are felt and feared no more.
Refrain
When I shall reach that happy place,
I’ll be forever blest,
For I shall see my Father’s face,
And in His bosom rest.
Refrain
Filled with delight my raptured soul
Would here no longer stay;
Though Jordan’s waves around me roll,
Fearless I’d launch away.
Refrain

GodsamazingGrace77
Feb 14th 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Bill for starting this thread and to all of the contributors, also. :)

One of my favorite hymns is "Adrift on the Waters", I've also seen it listed as "Saved from the Wreck". I know it by "Adrift on the Waters" but I wanted to list the other title as to avoid any confusion.

Adrift on the waters, so dark and so cold,
Afar from the beautiful city of gold,
A vessel is sinking, for heavy the gale,
The cable is broken, and tattered each sail.

Refrain

Poor child of the wreck, see the lifeboat is near,
A sweet voice is heard, for the Master is here;
He walks every billow, controls every wave,
’Tis Jesus, King Jesus, “the mighty to save.”
Oh, I was the sinner alone on the sea,
But love’s blessèd signal were floating for me;
Though thunders were rolling, and billows at strife,
Lo, Jesus was calling, “escape for thy life.”

Refrain

I stepped in the life boat, provided for me,
And Jesus my Pilot, my Captain to be;
His bosom my refuge, my “haven of rest.”
I’m rescued from shipwreck, so happy and blest.
Refrain

Life’s turbulent surges are kissed into peace,
The beacons are shining, and songs never cease;
Fair moonbeams, bright sunshine, illumine the tide,
While onward to glory we’ll joyfully glide.
Refrain

Words: Eliza E. Hewitt, cir­ca 1897.
Music: Henry L. Gilmour (1836-1920)

fuzzi
Feb 14th 2009, 10:11 PM
What a great thread idea!

There are so many wonderful hymns, but this one came to mind as I read the post before (by Godsamazinggrace77):

Words: M. J. Cartwright, 1889. Music: Daniel B. Towner (http://www.hymntime.com/tch/bio/t/o/w/towner_db.htm) (MI*DI (http://www.hymntime.com/tch/mid/o/l/d/the_old_ship_of_zion.mid), score (http://www.hymntime.com/tch/nwc/o/l/Old%20Ship%20of%20Zion.nwc)).

I was drifting away on life’s pitiless sea,
And the angry waves threatened my ruin to be,
When away at my side, there I dimly descried,
A stately old vessel, and loudly I cried:
“Ship ahoy! Ship ahoy!”
And loudly I cried: “Ship ahoy!”

’Twas the “old ship of Zion,” thus sailing along,
All aboard her seemed joyous, I heard their sweet song;
And the Captain’s kind ear, ever ready to hear,
Caught my wail of distress, as I cried out in fear:
“Ship ahoy! Ship ahoy!”
As I cried out in fear: “Ship ahoy!”

The good Captain commanded a boat to be low’red,
And with tender compassion He took me on board;
And I’m happy today, all my sins washed away
In the blood of my Savior, and now I can say:
“Bless the Lord! Bless the Lord!”
From my soul I can say: “Bless the Lord!”

O soul, sinking down ’neath sin’s merciless wave,
The strong arm of our Captain is mighty to save;
Then trust Him today, no longer delay,
Board the old ship of Zion, and shout on your way:
“Jesus saves! Jesus saves!”
Shout and sing on your way: “Jesus saves!”

fuzzi
Feb 15th 2009, 09:11 PM
This one needs to be included. I heard it, many times, before I was saved, but it didn't mean anything to me until after I was born again....

Amazing Grace
John Newton (1725-1807)
Arranged by Edwin O. Excell

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

GodsamazingGrace77
Feb 15th 2009, 09:49 PM
This one needs to be included. I heard it, many times, before I was saved, but it didn't mean anything to me until after I was born again....

Amazing Grace

John Newton (1725-1807)
Arranged by Edwin O. Excell

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Thanks fuzzi for posting this classic. :) I love this one!!!

RoseClown
Feb 24th 2009, 02:39 AM
I always wonder why my generation isn't as in love with the old hymns as they should be. The descriptive language in them really puts to shame most of the newer music. Anyway, my favorite hymn ever is this one-

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing]

1. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

2. Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
Here Thy praises I'll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben-Ezer);
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.

3. Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

4. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

5. O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

by Robert Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Robinson_%28hymnist%29).

I always have identified with the line 'Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love'.
However there are a couple good songs out there nowadays, that I can see enduring as the hymns of our time. One is the song 'God of Wonders' by Marc Byrd and Steve Hindalong which blew up on the Christian radio's and was sung in youthgroup constantly.

note-Oops! Sorry for not including info about the writers the first time, my bad... :blush:

Denny606
Feb 24th 2009, 05:32 AM
That is one of my favorites I sing it in the car and at Church Roseclown :D, anyone on here ever hear Poor and Afflicted

elle_kay
Mar 2nd 2009, 06:21 PM
Thank you everyone! It's been so good to sing these beautiful songs as I read the lyrics. I have to throw out a couple of my all time faves:

Nothing But the Blood [words and music by Robert Lowry]

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,

For my pardon, this I see,
For my cleansing this my plea,

Oh! precious is the flow
No other fount I know,

Nothing can for sin atone,
Naught of good that I have done,

Oh! precious is the flow
No other fount I know,

This is all my hope and peace,
This is all my righteousness,

Oh! precious is the flow
No other fount I know,

Now by this I’ll overcome—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
Now by this I’ll reach my home—

Oh! precious is the flow
No other fount I know,

Glory! Glory! This I sing—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
All my praise for this I bring—

Oh! precious is the flow
No other fount I know,

And Great is Thy Faithfulness (!) [words by Thomas O. Chisholm music by William M. Runyan]

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Refrain

Oh, my, but for space, I could go on... "Fairest Lord Jesus"..."The Church's One Foundation"..."Arise, My Soul! Arise!"..."Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed"..."Leaning on the Everlasting Arms"-
and my favorite Fanny Crosby-"Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It". Bless A.L. Butler for the wonderful music he put it to!

As much as I love the praise and worship music of my kids' generation, I'm sad so many of their contemporaries don't know these wonderful old hyms.

turtledove
Mar 2nd 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks to all on this thread..:) for so many wonderful old hymns shared here. I also like most of the contemporary worship songs we sing at church; but there is always something so precious about singing those oldies again like I did when I was much younger especially whenever we sing, "How Great Thou Art.!" my heart soars!! :pp