PDA

View Full Version : Leviticus...the first doctors in the bible..

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 02:49 AM
For some reason this book keeps coming back up in my mind over and over again. I drop it for awhile, then a show or something I read makes me think of it again. Anyway I fell asleep one night this past week thinking about it...mostly about the rules and regulations God gave the priests in keeping people healthy. And I got to thinking about some things...first...I think God invented doctors and medical science...well yes you say He created everything so that is a given but I know some are against doctors and some doctors think if God is all powerful why would people get sick in the first place OR why not just heal them with a prayer? I say...why should He? I think He gave us the ability and the responsibility to first do things to keep ourselves healthy and second enable people through science to heal those sick. (of course this isn't discounting actually super natural healings by any means).

But I think He was trying to get us early on, to learn to take care of ourselves much like we as parents teach our children to do things to take care of themselves.

Look at Him forbidding the eating of pork or shell fish...why..I think the why is because of the way they had to cook back them..using fire. If you have ever cooked on a camp fire you know its nearly impossible to get the meat evenly cooked. It can get very burnt on the outside, which you can't eat, but still be raw deep inside...or one part gets cooked well depending on the heat of the flame in that area, but the other side isn't cooked as well. Especially if you are cooking on a stick hanging over the fire. Everyone knows now that certain meats such as pork have to be cooked very well or you can get all sorts of illnesses. Same goes with certain sea foods. People still get very sick and die from eating that type of food even though now we know how important it is to cook them well.

Also on the subject of Leprosy in this book. I did some research on this in a medical book and the bible and found in the bible pretty much ANY skin problem was referred to as Leprosy...but some after the person did what the priest said, got better and their skin cleared up. This isn't the type of leprosy most of us think about though in relation with the bible. They type that does not clear up and is contagious was a very serious skin disease that caused nerves to die and the person lost fingers or toes through injuries because they couldn't feel them anymore. :( (well now it can be treated)

Leviticus 13 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=3&chapter=13&version=50)
The Law Concerning Leprosy
1 And the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying: 2 “When a man has on the skin of his body a swelling, a scab, or a bright spot, and it becomes on the skin of his body like a leprous sore, then he shall be brought to Aaron the priest or to one of his sons the priests. 3 The priest shall examine the sore on the skin of the body; and if the hair on the sore has turned white, and the sore appears to be deeper than the skin of his body, it is a leprous sore. Then the priest shall examine him, and pronounce him unclean.

4 But if the bright spot is white on the skin of his body, and does not appear to be deeper than the skin, and its hair has not turned white, then the priest shall isolate the one who has the sore seven days. 5 And the priest shall examine him on the seventh day; and indeed if the sore appears to be as it was, and the sore has not spread on the skin, then the priest shall isolate him another seven days.

6 Then the priest shall examine him again on the seventh day; and indeed if the sore has faded, and the sore has not spread on the skin, then the priest shall pronounce him clean; it is only a scab, and he shall wash his clothes and be clean.

If you read this whole chapter it becomes clear most of these are not the terribly type of Leprosy we generally think of. Its a catch all phrase like we have with the word, 'rash'...you can have ten people with rashes...but cause of each rash is important. One might have a heat rash, one poison ivy, one an allergic reaction to something and so on...so each one has to be treated a certain way...but we still refer to all of them as 'rashes'.

Anyway I got to thinking why have these priest do all of this ...why didn't God just keep people from getting these illness or heal them once they got them? I think the answer is because at some point we have to learn to deal with things ourselves (always WITH Him of course as our teacher, our Father, our Shepard)...since we allowed sin to come in the world to start with. I image the priest got to be pretty good doctors in telling what type of skin problem was something to really worry about and what wasn't. I think the reason for the isolation too was to keep it from spreading to the others. Here they are out in the middle of the wilderness having to take care of thousands upon thousand of people! A truly bad case of Leprosy or skin infection would threaten all the people..cripple and disable them and lead to death...:(

Anyway these are just some pondering thoughts on this...

God bless

Emanate
Nov 16th 2008, 02:55 AM
Look at Him forbidding the eating of pork or shell fish...why..I think the why is because of the way they had to cook back them..using fire. If you have even cooked on a camp fire you know its nearly impossible to get the meat evenly cooked.

Modern science is now catching onto the fact that these forbidden meats lin Lev. are unhealthy to this day. So it had nothing to do with cooking methods, it was an eternal health mandate, something leviticus related to holiness.

looking4jesus
Nov 16th 2008, 03:08 AM
Modern science is now catching onto the fact that these forbidden meats lin Lev. are unhealthy to this day. So it had nothing to do with cooking methods, it was an eternal health mandate, something leviticus related to holiness.

Actually I disagree completley , pork for example when cooked properly and also eaten with such things as Pinapple or Papayla for the digestive enzemes is a perfectly good food to eat the same with shellfish. It all has to to with digesting once thta is taken care of you can eat almost anything with no problems.
God Bless
Randy

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 03:13 AM

Well yes I realize it all had to do with a higher holiness too, but there were other related reason too..alot of health benefits. It isn't just about eating or not eating certain things either. For instance Leviticus also covers having a baby boy circumcised on the eight day...they now know the blood is clotting better in the baby by the eight day AND there are wonderful health benefits for having this done too.
http://www.circinfo.net/benefits_outweigh_the_risks.html

But I also realize the reason God asked this to be done which is a spiritual reason. But isn't it odd all these things also have health benefits? :hmm:

God bless

livingwaters
Nov 16th 2008, 03:27 AM
Na, it's not odd at all, cause the mandates came from God....Who would better know what we needed and didn't than our own creator??!!!! Alleluia.. Before I was saved, it was pork, pork, pork, shell fish, shell fish, shell fish....not anymore....doctors have proved the unhealty results of digesting these foods.Amen...that's only my opinion!!!! No hate mail, please!!!:hug:

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 03:36 AM
Na, it's not odd at all, cause the mandates came from God....Who would better know what we needed and didn't than our own creator??!!!! Alleluia.. Before I was saved, it was pork, pork, pork, shell fish, shell fish, shell fish....not anymore....doctors have proved the unhealty results of digesting these foods.Amen...that's only my opinion!!!! No hate mail, please!!!:hug:

Ok what's your email so I can send hate mail? :lol: ;)

God bless

looking4jesus
Nov 16th 2008, 03:39 AM

No hate mail but these foods are perfectly well if digested properly, that is where the problem is. That is why a well balance diet is so very important and aslo why you find in nativ ecultures the people that consumed such foods always have done so with other foods thta naturally carry the proper enzemes to digest the food and they have been doing this since the begining of time it is only in the so called modern age that man has messed everything up as far as food combinations to eat. And of course just eating pork ans shell fish over and over again would be very unhealthly but the same thing would happen if all you ate was pasta and pasta ot tuna and tuna..without a balance of your food groups it would all be the same which is not good. I am sure if the Bible was wrriten not for today because we know it is but if the Bible was written in this day it would have thou should not eat at fast food resturants which is th ebiggest killer of US people today generating more heart disease than anything else
God Bless
Randy

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 03:44 AM
No hate mail but these foods are perfectly well if digested properly, that is where the problem is. That is why a well balance diet is so very important and aslo why you find in nativ ecultures the people that consumed such foods always have done so with other foods thta naturally carry the proper enzemes to digest the food and they have been doing this since the begining of time it is only in the so called modern age that man has messed everything up as far as food combinations to eat. And of course just eating pork ans shell fish over and over again would be very unhealthly but the same thing would happen if all you ate was pasta and pasta ot tuna and tuna..without a balance of your food groups it would all be the same which is not good. I am sure if the Bible was wrriten not for today because we know it is but if the Bible was written in this day it would have thou should not eat at fast food resturants which is th ebiggest killer of US people today generating more heart disease than anything else
God Bless
Randy

True! This was written in a certain time and place for a reason! Good post.

God bless

looking4jesus
Nov 16th 2008, 04:07 AM
True! This was written in a certain time and place for a reason! Good post.

God bless

Thank you it is always impotant I feel to to understand the times the Bible is referring to and the context of what is written if not what you have is people lifting all kinds of passges to prove a point that they are stuck on to be a universal truth when clearly it is not. Not that there ar enot plenty of universal truths in Gods word but many time a passge wis wrrttien to a certain group of people in a certain time and the exact meaning is specific to that group but he general meaning will always be some like obey me. But if you lift the passge in the specfic what you do is distort what God is saying to fit your point.
God Bless
Randy

Biastai
Nov 16th 2008, 04:25 AM
Food allergies had something to do with it too. The main source of meat for Hebrews was lamb which turns out to be the least allergenic of the meats listed in the various laws.

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 04:30 AM
Thank you it is always impotant I feel to to understand the times the Bible is referring to and the context of what is written if not what you have is people lifting all kinds of passges to prove a point that they are stuck on to be a universal truth when clearly it is not. Not that there ar enot plenty of universal truths in Gods word but many time a passge wis wrrttien to a certain group of people in a certain time and the exact meaning is specific to that group but he general meaning will always be some like obey me. But if you lift the passge in the specfic what you do is distort what God is saying to fit your point.
God Bless
Randy

Well plus we know these food regulations were done away with in the NT too...otherwise we would have to still be following them. Though some feel they need to follow certain regulations on what to eat and what not to eat and the bible says that is ok since they are doing it to honor God. Its just they don't have too like in the OT.

Romans 14
2 For instance, one person believes itís all right to eat anything. But another believer with a sensitive conscience will eat only vegetables. 3 Those who feel free to eat anything must not look down on those who donít. And those who donít eat certain foods must not condemn those who do, for God has accepted them.

God bless

moonglow
Nov 16th 2008, 04:31 AM
Food allergies had something to do with it too. The main source of meat for Hebrews was lamb which turns out to be the least allergenic of the meats listed in the various laws.

That is interesting...I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. :)

I have never eaten lamb...its too expensive here and I don't know I would want too actually...:hmm:

God bless