PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Is there scripture that says......

Ta-An
Nov 17th 2008, 12:04 PM
..... not to dig in too deep into the scriptures....?? :hmm:

watchinginawe
Nov 17th 2008, 01:24 PM
Please Help: Is there scripture that says.....

not to dig in too deep into the scriptures....?? :hmm:This one came to mind, but I'm not sure it is a warning to not dig into the scriptures. :lol:

II Peter 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Solomon offered:

Ecclesiastes 1:16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.

17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

God Bless!

Walstib
Nov 17th 2008, 01:35 PM
..... not to dig in too deep into the scriptures....?? :hmm: Funny you should ask this today when I think I found one last night reading a book of the bible I rarely enter. Well maybe funny is not the right word ;)

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise why destroy yourself?
Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool why die before your time?
It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes . (Ecc 7:16-18 NIV)

I have personaly been seeing the need for balance alot the last few months and this really hit me when I read it last night. Many take a doctrine so far that they lose sight of the core and I think this is the main cause of the division in the church. I struggle, and have stumbled with this myself at times.

Grace and peace,

Joe

RabbiKnife
Nov 17th 2008, 02:25 PM
If there is, I haven't dug deeply enough yet to find it.

:D

Emanate
Nov 17th 2008, 02:55 PM
If there is, I haven't dug deeply enough yet to find it.

:D

It there is it is probably only found in the Authorized KJV.
:o

Teke
Nov 18th 2008, 05:24 PM

Hey dancer friend. :hug:

There isn't one worded that way, but there is one that says with much knowledge comes much sorrow. IOW it can be a burden, as with knowing a thing makes you the more responsible because you know.

Ecc 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom [is] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

See it can vex your spirit, meaning cause you to question the more, it can also cause you to be judgmental without cause in having not experience. It's not about knowledge alone, it's about living the truth. Like Indiana Jones said, "to be a good archeologist, you have to get out of the library". ;)

John146
Nov 18th 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey dancer friend. :hug:

There isn't one worded that way, but there is one that says with much knowledge comes much sorrow. IOW it can be a burden, as with knowing a thing makes you the more responsible because you know.

Ecc 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom [is] much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

See it can vex your spirit, meaning cause you to question the more, it can also cause you to be judgmental without cause in having not experience. It's not about knowledge alone, it's about living the truth. Like Indiana Jones said, "to be a good archeologist, you have to get out of the library". ;)It can be a burden for the reasons you suggested, but not necessarily. He also says things like the following regarding wisdom:

Eccl 7:19 Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city.

Prov 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Prov 8:11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Prov 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

Back2Front
Nov 18th 2008, 09:31 PM

A cup that runneth over with God is not waste, as the prudence of God is given, and not won or lost by a work.

Teke
Nov 18th 2008, 09:59 PM
It can be a burden for the reasons you suggested, but not necessarily. He also says things like the following regarding wisdom:

Eccl 7:19 Wisdom strengtheneth the wise more than ten mighty men which are in the city.

Prov 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. 6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Prov 8:11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Prov 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

That pretty much goes along with what I was saying. Treasure like knowledge brings responsibility.

Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Maybe that is why the saying, "ignorance is bliss". :)

brant
Nov 19th 2008, 09:18 AM
prov.2:1-5 "my son, if you will recieve my words and treasure my commandments within you, make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding; for if you cry for discernment, lift your voice for understanding; if you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will discern the fear of the LORD and discover the knowledge of God."

acts17:11 "now these were more noble-minded than those in thessalonica, for they recieved the word with great eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

john8:31,32 "so Jesus was saying to those jews who had believed in Him, if you continue in my word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

please do not cease to dig deep into the word of God. get to know Him and glorify Him with your life. more responsibility means more honor and glory and blessings. if ignorance is bliss, then maybe we should be ignorant to the fact that Jesus died on the cross for our sins that we might believe and be saved. HALLELUJAH THANK YOU JESUS FOR SETTING ME FREE!

IMINXTC
Nov 19th 2008, 10:07 AM
"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers." 2Tm. 2:14

I believe there is often a tendency to dig into words to the point where it becomes a matter of erudition and intellectual prowess, rather than a rightful dividing of the word. This seems to often place the understanding of what the Lord has said beyond the average believer's grasp, or throws it into confusion.

Though some things are hard to be understood, no doubt, the answer for the believer always comes from the scripture itself, in the context of the entire Bible. (I have God's word on this: "Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Ps 119:89).

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2Tm 2:15

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." 1Co 14:33

"Search the scriptues; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." Jn 5:39

kenrank
Nov 19th 2008, 04:13 PM
No, but many are not wise with their knowledge and become stubling blocks to others. They forget how long it took THEM to gain that understanding, and expect others to see what they see overnight. Foolishness!

We are called to, "study to show ourselves approved a workman unto God." We are also called to, "prove all things." I would think that if one really loves YHWH, he/she would WANT to get as deep as they can in order to understand as much about the one who created, and ultimately, saves them!

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breast.

Knowledge of the Lord comes only after we get off the milk.

Peace and blessings!
Ken

HisLeast
Nov 19th 2008, 04:31 PM
Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise why destroy yourself?
Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool why die before your time?
It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes . (Ecc 7:16-18 NIV)

Never ceases to amaze me. Ecclesiastes is simultaneously the most encouraging and most depressing text in the Old Testament.

Teke
Nov 19th 2008, 05:42 PM
No, but many are not wise with their knowledge and become stubling blocks to others. They forget how long it took THEM to gain that understanding, and expect others to see what they see overnight. Foolishness!

We are called to, "study to show ourselves approved a workman unto God." We are also called to, "prove all things." I would think that if one really loves YHWH, he/she would WANT to get as deep as they can in order to understand as much about the one who created, and ultimately, saves them!

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breast.

Knowledge of the Lord comes only after we get off the milk.

Peace and blessings!
Ken

"The Scriptures are shallow enough for a babe to come and drink without fear of drowning and deep enough for theologians to swim in without ever reaching the bottom." - St. Jerome

We are not gnostic. Scripture is not for us to become more knowledgeable, but to change our lives.

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Receive it and live it. There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge with wisdom applied is life.

Ta-An
Nov 19th 2008, 05:59 PM
:o I am not trying to get out of studying the scriptures.....:D

I am looking for something.... and I do not know what the word is I am looking for :(

...it may even be not to dig to deep into genealogies.... :hmm:

Brother Mark
Nov 19th 2008, 06:08 PM
:o I am not trying to get out of studying the scriptures.....:D

I am looking for something.... and I do not know what the word is I am looking for :(

...it may even be not to dig to deep into genealogies.... :hmm:

Hi ACCM. Here are a couple of verses that may be more suited to what you are looking for.

2 Tim 2:14

14 Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless, and leads to the ruin of the hearers.
NASB

and

Titus 3:7-11
8 This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God may be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men. 9 But shun foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law; for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10 Reject a factious man after a first and second warning, 11 knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned.
NASB

and

1 Tim 1:3-8

3 As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus, in order that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, 4 nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully,
NASB

Blessings,

Mark

Friend of I AM
Nov 19th 2008, 09:54 PM
I think the verses posted from Ecclessiastes were good. The best thing one should learn from that book is that God is in control of everything, thus no man can do what God hasn't already done, and no man can at anytime know the future..only God does. Thus, we are stuck in a bit of a quandry when trying to understand the entirety of prophecy and what will be fullfilled, only God knows when prophecy will be fullfilled and the deeper meanings as they relate to everything under the sun. Thus each man is essentially in the same condition as the other when it comes to knowing what his eventual outcome will be...and no man can boast about where he's been. So no one should be worried when it comes to reading scripture and worrying about their future...as the future is truly only in God's hands.

In Christian Love,

Stephen

kenrank
Nov 19th 2008, 10:34 PM
"The Scriptures are shallow enough for a babe to come and drink without fear of drowning and deep enough for theologians to swim in without ever reaching the bottom." - St. Jerome

We are not gnostic. Scripture is not for us to become more knowledgeable, but to change our lives.

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

Receive it and live it. There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge with wisdom applied is life.

Teke, I hoped I was clear in separating my use of the words "wise" and "knowledge." As for scripture not being there to increase in knowledge, I would kindly disagree. What need would there be for verses like, "study to show thyself a workman unto God," if the increase in knowledge isn't what will make you a better workman?

Peace to you.
Ken

Teke
Nov 20th 2008, 02:42 AM
Teke, I hoped I was clear in separating my use of the words "wise" and "knowledge." As for scripture not being there to increase in knowledge, I would kindly disagree. What need would there be for verses like, "study to show thyself a workman unto God," if the increase in knowledge isn't what will make you a better workman?

Peace to you.
Ken

Well Ken, let's see what kind of knowledge that workman gets from study.

There are five verbs and three nouns in Greek for "know" and "knowledge". Read 2 Peter 1 on "knowledge". The Greek word there is the noun "epignosis", which doesn't primarily mean mental knowledge, but spiritual knowledge. A further knowledge through acquaintance with, resulting in true knowledge.

Peter explains this.

2Pe 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Peace,
Eve

kenrank
Nov 20th 2008, 10:11 AM
Teke, it would seem we are speaking of two different things. I would think the knowledge I was speaking of is book, not spiritual.

gno'-sisFrom G1097; knowing (the act), that is, (by implication) knowledge: - knowledge, science.

The verse in particular that I quoted:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This is book smart Teke, not spiritual. The word "study" in the above verse is:

spoo-dad'-zoFrom G4710; to use speed, that is, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: - do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

It clearly shows the idea of an "effort" one must put in in order to obtain knowledge, or in this case, to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

Peace.
Ken

Teke
Nov 20th 2008, 03:05 PM
Teke, it would seem we are speaking of two different things. I would think the knowledge I was speaking of is book, not spiritual.

gno'-sisFrom G1097; knowing (the act), that is, (by implication) knowledge: - knowledge, science.

The verse in particular that I quoted:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This is book smart Teke, not spiritual. The word "study" in the above verse is:

spoo-dad'-zoFrom G4710; to use speed, that is, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: - do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

It clearly shows the idea of an "effort" one must put in in order to obtain knowledge, or in this case, to rightly divide the Word of Truth.

Peace.
Ken

That is the KJV. The NKJV puts like this, "Be diligent to present yourself approved of God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

In the context (the surrounding verses) this verse is written in, this indicates the "word of truth" is verbal truth, meaning that which is spoken. To "be diligent" and "approved of God" is not "ashamed" of speaking apostolic truth, and doesn't get caught up in "profane" and "idle babblings" that lead to "ungodliness" (v16).

I would liken this to the instructions of Colossians 4.

Col 4:6 Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Just_Another_Guy
Nov 20th 2008, 04:18 PM
I think one can read too much into certain verses. We are all guilty of this at times. Not everything in the bible has a deep metaphorical meaning to it..although a lot of stuff does. Ideally, one hopes that whatever knowledge/wisdom we get from this life..they use it for the benefit of others.

So much of what we learn is often used to uplift ourselves and admonish others whom we believe are less knowledgeable than ourselves. I often think how God freely and lovingly shares his knowledge and everything he has with those who humbly come and ask him for it. We ourselves should be like God, and take what we've learned..teach it freely and lovingly to those who earnestly seek it.

Matthew