PDA

View Full Version : "I'll be praying for you." But will they? Or do they just say that?

immortality
Nov 18th 2008, 06:49 PM
"I'll be praying for you."

unfortunately i think this phrase has become some kind of a cliche or common saying. perhaps among those who are extremely deep in hypocrisy it is intended as a condescending remark.

personally i am not unfamiliar with having professing christians "pray" for me, as if i am some kind of deceived individual, or "immature" in my faith. if only they would spend more time praying for themselves...

VerticalReality
Nov 18th 2008, 06:55 PM
This one is going to have to take a "bible chat" spin if it is to stay in this forum. Is there any Scriptures you would like to discuss with regard to this topic?

Indueseason
Nov 18th 2008, 06:59 PM
I have had it said to me in a negative way before, but if they really mean it and do pray then I win :) What are they going to ask the Lord? That He show me the truth? How can that be bad? If they are wrong then the Lord will only confirm that and if they are right, then I'm happy to be shown the truth! ;)

On the other hand they may not pray at all and its them who have a lying problem, or even better they may be genuine and someone is praying for me out of love! :pp

:hug: blessings

( and I really mean that lol)

immortality
Nov 18th 2008, 06:59 PM
This one is going to have to take a "bible chat" spin if it is to stay in this forum. Is there any Scriptures you would like to discuss with regard to this topic?

"...how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when the beam is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:4-5

Friend of I AM
Nov 18th 2008, 07:07 PM

unfortunately i think this phrase has become some kind of a cliche or common saying. perhaps among those who are extremely deep in hypocrisy it is intended as a condescending remark.

personally i am not unfamiliar with having professing christians "pray" for me, as if i am some kind of deceived individual, or "immature" in my faith. if only they would spend more time praying for themselves...

When I post something, I refer to that as my prayer. Like if I say.."praying for you.." that is my prayer for them in text form. Sometimes I do say prayers to myself for people on the board while I'm typing as well.

Edit:

I'm not doing it out of hypocrisy. I need prayers as well. It's just more of a good will gesture. We all could use more prayers and love within our lives. Having someone wish you well is always good. Too many negative people out in this world inside and outside of the church not wishing one another well...

Stephen

HisLeast
Nov 18th 2008, 07:15 PM
Gosh, is there anything we ARE doing right?

immortality
Nov 18th 2008, 07:19 PM
Gosh, is there anything we ARE doing right?

could you elaborate?

Amos_with_goats
Nov 18th 2008, 07:27 PM

unfortunately i think this phrase has become some kind of a cliche or common saying. ...

I know that what I try to do is never to say it (or type it) lightly. I will usually pray for that person as soon as I say it. I do find that I will often forget right after that, only to have the Holy Spirit bring it up to me later. I am thankful that He does that, since I am such a flake. :P

Prayer is powerful, one way this is true is the way the Lord uses it to change our focus from our own concerns to those of others. I am thankful for the opportunity to pray for the concerns of others... as well as the will to do it. :pray: I am quite sure that will is a gift, because left to my own devices I am quite sure I would care less about someone else's concerns. :hmm:

teddyv
Nov 18th 2008, 10:35 PM
I know that what I try to do is never to say it (or type it) lightly. I will usually pray for that person as soon as I say it. I do find that I will often forget right after that, only to have the Holy Spirit bring it up to me later. I am thankful that He does that, since I am such a flake. :P

Prayer is powerful, one way this is true is the way the Lord uses it to change our focus from our own concerns to those of others. I am thankful for the opportunity to pray for the concerns of others... as well as the will to do it. :pray: I am quite sure that will is a gift, because left to my own devices I am quite sure I would care less about someone else's concerns. :hmm:
Good post and summarizes my thoughts well. As to the OP I do understand what he/she is getting at. I would consider similar to the axiom of "letting your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 18th 2008, 10:50 PM
I do understand what the OP is saying here I believe alot of people have the good intention to pray for you but they dont. But as for me if I say I am going to pray for someone I do it immediatly so I know its done. :)

walked
Nov 19th 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi immortality (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=28254) ! :pp :pp :pp

"...how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when the beam is in your own eye? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:4-5

Maybe I am mistaken but if I understand you correct: I will say that I too can or have been offended by someone saying to me I will be praying for you and that person not being personally close to me, close enough to be familiar with what I might need prayer for.... but only offended because that person is not at all familiar with any of my situations or circumstances that might be benefited by that persons prayer on my behalf, not offended because that person is worthy of the penalties of his/her sins or has a bigger splinter or mote in his/her eye than I do. We are all worthy of the penalties of sin and we all still have splinter or motes in our eyes. I have and probably still do approach God with not just a mote or splinter in one of my eyes, but a mote in each eye and still I do and can approach God to pray for mercy on us/mankind, but I don't commonly say:I will pray for us, I say I will pray for you it is a grammar issue and not a positional/stance issue.

That being said:
If anyone thinks that a man needs anything else other than Christ blood covering him/her to approach God, bringing a petition/prayer to Him for others or themselves, then that person is lost and has not yet encountered the true Christ, not yet encountered His purpose, not yet encountered His mercy and ransom...
A christian does not need personal sinless perfection nor do they need to earn righteousness to approach the Father with a petition for others or themselves. The new testament testifies that all that a christian will need to approach the Father is the covering/wedding-robe of Christ on him/her the wedding robe that was purchased by Him on the cross, the robe that is given to all who follow, trust and act on their trust in Him. The new testament also testifies that Christ work on the cross did rent/tear/split the curtain that separated men from Gods mercy-seat and gives all who believe and act on their belief in Him access to God the Father and His mercies...
I know I can approach God the Father with request because I approach Him wearing the blood of Christ and I use His righteousness, perfection and sinless life as my own.

EDIT: In the title of your thread you added this comment "But will they? Or do they just say that?" having an attitude that produce a comment like this will only divide and destroy what Christ came to built and save.
I am sure many have said in passing "I will pray for you" and that day not prayed as they said they would do, I am guilty of that myself but my motive was not to appear righteous at that moment but I was motivated by Gods mercy living in me and at the end of the day my cares in this world robbed me of that opportunity to pray for that person or persons.
Not to say that there are not some among us who do/will say "I will pray for you" saying it just to appear righteous at that moment, but it is not profitable for me to let my mind weigh their motives or allow my mind to dwell on their motives for saying "I will pray for you".