PDA

View Full Version : ...Praying for enemies

thehopefulcry2
Nov 20th 2008, 02:27 AM
I am just wondering the Bible say that you should pray for your enemies; what are you supposed to pray? For God to change them? For God to help them? For God to bless them? I just am wondering...
Thanks

RogerW
Nov 20th 2008, 03:37 AM
I am just wondering the Bible say that you should pray for your enemies; what are you supposed to pray? For God to change them? For God to help them? For God to bless them? I just am wondering...

Thanks

Greetings,

I would say all of the above. In addition pray that God might also change your heart so you can actually love your enemies and do good to those who mistreat and abuse you. It's really hard to call someone an enemy after God has shown you how to love them.

Many Blessings,
RW

Firstfruits
Nov 20th 2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks

Here is one for you.

Mt 5:44 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=40&CHAP=5&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Make that two;

Lk 6:27 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=27) But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
Lk 6:28 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=28) Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Lk 6:35 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=6&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=35) But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

I would also concure with RW and what you have said, as we would not pray for harm to come to them.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

theBelovedDisciple
Nov 20th 2008, 04:34 PM
I agree with all the above... good posts..

In your prayer for them... FORGIVE.. THEM......

With your ememies... those who are perecuting you.. whether it be thru slander, false accusation, intimitdation, using you despitefully for their own gain....etc...

From experience when these things happen.. what tends to happen is that it tends to make a person really 'bitter'... bitterness and anger are the opposite of joy and gladness that comes when one walks in the Spirit .....

having your joy and gladness 'stolen' is not very fun.. and this is one way that its done...

I'll guarantee that when you walk thru the midst of false accusation, slander, intimidation... and you walk with joy , gladness and freedom.. without the stench of bitterness and anger.. People will NOTICE.....

By praying for your enemies and FORGIVING them.. there is a release from that 'bitterness and anger ' that comes with being persecuted and mistreated.. You becoming bitter and angry towards them.....

The best example is when Christ was hanging on that bloody tree.. beaten to a bloody pulp.. being railed on by the Pharisees and crowd.. spit upon...... His own enemeies.. wicked men who put Him there... what did He do?

He Said... Father.. forgive THEM .. for they know not what they do....

Another example is the stoning of Stephen... He , when about to take his last breath and being STONED... asked God not to hold this sin against them... He was praying for and forgiving his own murderers....

Yes pray for your enemies... love them.. forgive them.. in that alone you will be able to walk thru almost any kind of 'persecuting' situation with joy, gladness, and the Freedom/Liberty Jesus the Christ gives to you...

God Bless you all!

Back2Front
Nov 20th 2008, 10:52 PM
"Forgive us our sins as we have forgiven others who have sinned against us..."

That pretty much sums it up for me.

thehopefulcry2
Nov 21st 2008, 01:18 AM
I do forgive them, and I never ever wish harm on them. I take things so personally I get hurt... but I don't get angry usually.

I am having a really tough time with a woman I work with who is very condescending, rude, and fake with me. She has said some pretty hurtful things, and has set me up to look bad in front of my Boss. I have prayed for her, I have asked God to bless her and I have asked that he helps me to fully forgive her. I never know if I have forgiven some one so I have to ask God to tell me if I have.

I don't want to end up hating her... We used to be friends. I got a different position and since then we are strained and its like she does not even like me anymore. I have immense rejection fear and I am totally out of my element.

Does any one have any other suggestions as to what I should pray?

Reedan
Nov 21st 2008, 02:23 AM
I do forgive them, and I never ever wish harm on them. I take things so personally I get hurt... but I don't get angry usually.

I am having a really tough time with a woman I work with who is very condescending, rude, and fake with me. She has said some pretty hurtful things, and has set me up to look bad in front of my Boss. I have prayed for her, I have asked God to bless her and I have asked that he helps me to fully forgive her. I never know if I have forgiven some one so I have to ask God to tell me if I have.

I don't want to end up hating her... We used to be friends. I got a different position and since then we are strained and its like she does not even like me anymore. I have immense rejection fear and I am totally out of my element.

Does any one have any other suggestions as to what I should pray?

Pray God to do the best for you and her, for Everyone:)
Ask God to do his will for everyone:)

God Bless:)

parker
Nov 21st 2008, 03:02 AM
The only way to finally destroy an enemy is to make them your friend.

militarywife
Nov 21st 2008, 03:05 AM
I always asked the Lord to bless them.