PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Colossians 1:14 AND the redemption through his blood

poochie
Nov 21st 2008, 02:05 AM
Anyone ever compared this verse among the translations? Notice that the phrase "redemption through his blood" is missing in the modern texts?

Col 1:14 (KJV)
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Col 1:14 (ESV)
In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

The phrase is also missing in the NIV.

One has to wonder why that phrase is missing in the modern versions while fully contained in the KJV/Authorized version.

Want to know why?

The reason why is twofold

1. Harmonization

There are numerous parallels between Colossians and Ephesians and so it is expected that the scribes saw that.

2. The phrase is missing from the Alexandrian manuscripts and also from the majority of Greek manuscript evidence also those from the majority of the Byzantine tradition.

The reason I mention this is because there are times when you might engage a KJVO and he/she will claim that your Bible is not the word of God since it lacks this phrase and your Bible is a bloodless Bible.

There are many, many, many, many other verses and passages that are in the KJV, but are lacking evidence from the better manuscript evidences.

The Disciple
Nov 21st 2008, 02:26 AM
Anyone ever compared this verse among the translations? Notice that the phrase "redemption through his blood" is missing in the modern texts?

The phrase is also missing in the NIV.

One has to wonder why that phrase is missing in the modern versions while fully contained in the KJV/Authorized version.

Want to know why?

The reason why is twofold

1. Harmonization

There are numerous parallels between Colossians and Ephesians and so it is expected that the scribes saw that.

2. The phrase is missing from the Alexandrian manuscripts and also from the majority of Greek manuscript evidence also those from the majority of the Byzantine tradition.

The reason I mention this is because there are times when you might engage a KJVO and he/she will claim that your Bible is not the word of God since it lacks this phrase and your Bible is a bloodless Bible.

There are many, many, many, many other verses and passages that are in the KJV, but are lacking evidence from the better manuscript evidences.

The reason why the NKJV is best is because it was translated properly Strongs dictionary and the greek lexicon will help confirm this, the translations may have been a part of the devils deceit in order to trick us into the devils belief.(Read about the wolves in sheeps clothing that Jesus tells us all about.
Jesus's blood by the way was an atonement for our sins he did not take on all our sins. We can be saved by the process of repentance and stopping all sin in our life and then we are saved never before, we cannot come to GOD in sin only after we stop.
The Disciple

mcgyver
Nov 21st 2008, 02:44 AM
The reason why the NKJV is best is because it was translated properly Strongs dictionary and the greek lexicon will help confirm this, the translations may have been a part of the devils deceit in order to trick us into the devils belief.(Read about the wolves in sheeps clothing that Jesus tells us all about.
Jesus's blood by the way was an atonement for our sins he did not take on all our sins. We can be saved by the process of repentance and stopping all sin in our life and then we are saved never before, we cannot come to GOD in sin only after we stop.
The Disciple

OK, I'm confused...so I'll just ask:

Are you saying that Jesus did not "take on all our sins"?

Which ones did He leave us with?

Are you saying also that we must stop sinning before we are saved?

(Sorry for the derail poochie...but this is something I've got to ask)

poochie
Nov 21st 2008, 03:33 AM
The Disciple

Those will not confirm anything as they do not get to the root of Textual Criticism nor does the NKJV provide the most accurate representation. The NKJV contains many the textual variants and such other issues and insertions (1 John 5:7) contained in the KJV.

While I love both and KJV and the NKJV my study in Textual Criticism and such (which goes into far more depth than using a Strongs Concordance) has led me to conclude that the ESV, the NIV and the NASB are more accurate translations.

The Disciple
Nov 21st 2008, 03:33 AM

Jesus did not take our sins he was the one time blood atonement for our sins, i.e just like the sacrifices they did yearly with the law of Moses that did not work. See Leviticus I believe. Before Jesus every year and for some sins everytime they sinned they had to make a pure blood sacrifice. This is why Jesus was pure and never sinned if he had sin when he went to the cross none of it would work and he would be in hell still paying for our sins forever and could not have been raised to be seated at the right hand of the father. We must repent and when we have truly repented and dealt with our fleshly desires then we recieve the holy spirit and are saved, even so once we are saved we can once again fall and if we do we are lost. People have been told since 400 ad that we cannot save our selves through works but it is the devils lie, it is easy but not that easy.

1peter3:8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=67&chapter=3&version=50#fen-NKJV-30427a)] 9 not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For

“ He who would love life
And see good days,
Let him refrain his tongue from evil,
And his lips from speaking deceit.
11 Let him turn away from evil and do good;
Let him seek peace and pursue it.
12 For the eyes of the LORD are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their prayers;
But the face of the LORD is against those who do evil.”

John5:13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”

Hebrews10:28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,”[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=10&verse=28&end_verse=30&version=50&context=context#fen-NKJV-30158a)] says the Lord.[b (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=10&verse=28&end_verse=30&version=50&context=context#fen-NKJV-30158b)] And again, “The LORD will judge His people.”

The pastors today the Wolves in Sheeps Clothing you hear about
2Peter2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

The Disciple(I pray you hear this and your heart has not been blackened)

poochie
Nov 21st 2008, 03:37 AM
Thats not what I said. Please re-read my original post.

mcgyver
Nov 21st 2008, 04:03 AM
Hey poochie...

That was not directed at you, I was asking the disciple to clarify his position, and was apologizing for derailing your thread in doing so. :)

The Disciple
Nov 21st 2008, 04:16 AM
I cannot argue about this sorry no answer there, just what I said. If GOD opens our eyes and we forget about all we were taught and just read for ourselves it may not matter which wersion.

Take care
The Disciple

Yukerboy
Nov 21st 2008, 08:40 AM
People have been told since 400 ad that we cannot save our selves through works but it is the devils lie

Oh my....God save me? No, savior self.

It is not of man's will or labor, but of God alone.

Anyway, back to the original post. I believe that the ESV, NKJV, KJV, and a few others are fine, however, with any interpretation, all versions are not perfect.

poochie
Nov 21st 2008, 04:01 PM
I see. Thanks for letting me know. :D

Hey poochie...

That was not directed at you, I was asking the disciple to clarify his position, and was apologizing for derailing your thread in doing so. :)