PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Test The Spirits?

JesusReignsForever
Nov 21st 2008, 04:42 AM
I asked this question once before and I never got a clear answer. So bibically can someone explain how am I to test the spirits.

I know in the bible it says every one that confesses Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God is of God.

But what if they confess all those things and dont use the name Jesus?

Could that also be a false spirit?

RJ Mac
Nov 21st 2008, 02:08 PM
From my understanding of 1Jn.4:1 test the spirits, the answer is in
1Jn.5:13; these things have been written to you who believe in the name
of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.

We test by comparing the teachings to the word of God.
I don't believe one has to use the name of Jesus in everything they do
ie a stamp of approval. But one certainly has to believe that Jesus is the
Christ and everything we do is in His name - ie by His authority.

Like the police, by the authority of the state of Texas, I now arrest you.
In everything we do it is in the name of, meaning by His authority.
Hope this helps.

If anyone denies the name of Jesus then I would deny them.

RJ

mcgyver
Nov 21st 2008, 03:45 PM
I asked this question once before and I never got a clear answer. So bibically can someone explain how am I to test the spirits.

I know in the bible it says every one that confesses Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God is of God.

Hi, JRF...You've asked a good question!

In order to try and answer it for you, we've got to understand the context and background against which John was writing in reference to testing the spirits. Although many today understand these verses to be in reference to an apparition that suddenly appears, this was not John's intent or frame of reference.

So bear with me here, as we go through 1 John 4:1-3, and hopefully your question will be answered. :)

First of all, the centrality of the Gospel message is found in the Gospel of John 1:14: "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us...".

Without the incarnation of Jesus, then everything falls apart. To put it another way, if Jesus is not God in the flesh; then the "law and the prophets" have not be fulfilled, and we are all still doomed...His sacrifice upon the cross (in that case) could not be sufficient as payment for our sin. The deity of Jesus therefore, is the rock and foundation of our faith.

So let's take a look at 1 John 4:1-3.

1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Here John is not talking about apparitions, but those false teachers who are preaching what was (and is) known as the Gnostic Heresy; which was rampant and infecting the early church.

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 14:32: "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets." So John here is referring to the intent/spirit in which and from which these "false prophets" deliver their message.

2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

To the Gnostics the incarnation of Jesus was an impossibility. The Gnostics held that all matter was evil, therefore God could not "clothe" Himself with flesh...because flesh is matter...and matter was evil.

Even today we see people who call themselves "Christians" who deny that Jesus is God. John calls this the "spirit of the Antichrist".

Now to answer your question:

Remember that I said that the Gnostics held that all matter was evil? They had no problem with Satan, or Zeus, Apollonius, or any other "person" being in flesh...because they are evil...See what I'm getting at?

Therefore...one must confess that it is Jesus Christ "who has come in the flesh" in order to determine that the spirit from which they speak is of God.

I sure hope that answered your question. :)

JesusReignsForever
Nov 21st 2008, 04:04 PM
From my understanding of 1Jn.4:1 test the spirits, the answer is in
1Jn.5:13; these things have been written to you who believe in the name
of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.

We test by comparing the teachings to the word of God.
I don't believe one has to use the name of Jesus in everything they do
ie a stamp of approval. But one certainly has to believe that Jesus is the
Christ and everything we do is in His name - ie by His authority.

Like the police, by the authority of the state of Texas, I now arrest you.
In everything we do it is in the name of, meaning by His authority.
Hope this helps.

If anyone denies the name of Jesus then I would deny them.

RJ

Thank you for you answer I agree with you.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 21st 2008, 04:04 PM

In order to try and answer it for you, we've got to understand the context and background against which John was writing in reference to testing the spirits. Although many today understand these verses to be in reference to an apparition that suddenly appears, this was not John's intent or frame of reference.

So bear with me here, as we go through 1 John 4:1-3, and hopefully your question will be answered. :)

First of all, the centrality of the Gospel message is found in the Gospel of John 1:14: "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us...".

Without the incarnation of Jesus, then everything falls apart. To put it another way, if Jesus is not God in the flesh; then the "law and the prophets" have not be fulfilled, and we are all still doomed...His sacrifice upon the cross (in that case) could not be sufficient as payment for our sin. The deity of Jesus therefore, is the rock and foundation of our faith.

1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Here John is not talking about apparitions, but those false teachers who are preaching what was (and is) known as the Gnostic Heresy; which was rampant and infecting the early church.

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 14:32: "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets." So John here is referring to the intent/spirit in which and from which these "false prophets" deliver their message.

2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

To the Gnostics the incarnation of Jesus was an impossibility. The Gnostics held that all matter was evil, therefore God could not "clothe" Himself with flesh...because flesh is matter...and matter was evil.

Even today we see people who call themselves "Christians" who deny that Jesus is God. John calls this the "spirit of the Antichrist".

Remember that I said that the Gnostics held that all matter was evil? They had no problem with Satan, or Zeus, Apollonius, or any other "person" being in flesh...because they are evil...See what I'm getting at?

Therefore...one must confess that it is Jesus Christ "who has come in the flesh" in order to determine that the spirit from which they speak is of God.

Thank you, you surely did answer my question.

theBelovedDisciple
Nov 21st 2008, 05:09 PM

---------------------------------------------------

Its the confession... yes it is... but those under the guidance of the Holy Ghost know and will confess that God put on flesh.. for thats what they have been taught and instructed thru the work of the Holy Ghost....... thats what John is explaining in 1John....

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Devils believe and they 'acknowledge' and they tremble... they are spirits... where do they abide and who do they possess? people... and they move in and out of these people... they can also possess animals... they know who Jesus Christ is and they know who the Saints of God are.. they masquerade as ministers of righteousness.. angels of light.. which means they talk and speak about Jesus.. they are 'planted' by their father .. Satan.. as the 'tares'.. the weeds.. which grow up amongst the wheat.. the good seed... those planted by the Son of Man Himself..

Its the 'confession'.. what/who they talk about.. when people talk about God .. and How He has changed their lives.. when they confess Jesus do they confess the One who Saved them was God in the flesh..???? Alot of people talk about God.. about Jesus... but the 'spirit' or Spirit that is controlling them them.. which is it..

John declares you'll discern it thru their 'confession'.. they CONFESS GOD PUT ON FLESH... this is how you Know the Spirit of God is PRESENT...

Jesus the Christ is God in the flesh.. He is the True Living God.. pure and without sin..

Some Bible translations have left out the part that states that

'every spirit that does not confess Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God....'

and they have done this....

but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

This is very interesting.. as to the fact that 'devils', 'evil spirits, acknowledge and 'know' who Jesus the Christ is.. James says they 'believe' there is One God and they tremble... so just because a 'spirit' acknowledges "Jesus' does not mean its from God.. Its the confession about God in the flesh.. that is the important part.. but some translations have left that out..mmmm:confused I wonder why?.....

When they 'confess' God has come in the flesh in the person of Jesus the Christ.. this is how you know the Spirit of the Living God is PRESENT....

JesusReignsForever
Nov 21st 2008, 05:15 PM
The Belover Disciple,

Thanks I had to read that like 3 times but I think I got it! It is weird why some bibles leave out Jesus is God in the flesh!!!! I dont know that is why i stick to the KJV and the NJKV. I just feel if you keep comparing comparing eventually it just watered down mush. Although I know some say the KJVor NKJV is not accurate I cant agree when i read the KJV or NKJV I can feel the spirit moving in me, my inner man is getting fed. The other version dont move me like that.

IamBill
Nov 22nd 2008, 04:25 AM
---------------------------------------------------

Its the confession... yes it is... but those under the guidance of the Holy Ghost know and will confess that God put on flesh.. for thats what they have been taught and instructed thru the work of the Holy Ghost....... thats what John is explaining in 1John....

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Devils believe and they 'acknowledge' and they tremble... they are spirits... where do they abide and who do they possess? people... and they move in and out of these people... they can also possess animals... they know who Jesus Christ is and they know who the Saints of God are.. they masquerade as ministers of righteousness.. angels of light.. which means they talk and speak about Jesus.. they are 'planted' by their father .. Satan.. as the 'tares'.. the weeds.. which grow up amongst the wheat.. the good seed... those planted by the Son of Man Himself..

Its the 'confession'.. what/who they talk about.. when people talk about God .. and How He has changed their lives.. when they confess Jesus do they confess the One who Saved them was God in the flesh..???? Alot of people talk about God.. about Jesus... but the 'spirit' or Spirit that is controlling them them.. which is it..

John declares you'll discern it thru their 'confession'.. they CONFESS GOD PUT ON FLESH... this is how you Know the Spirit of God is PRESENT...

Jesus the Christ is God in the flesh.. He is the True Living God.. pure and without sin..

Some Bible translations have left out the part that states that

'every spirit that does not confess Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God....'

and they have done this....

but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

This is very interesting.. as to the fact that 'devils', 'evil spirits, acknowledge and 'know' who Jesus the Christ is.. James says they 'believe' there is One God and they tremble... so just because a 'spirit' acknowledges "Jesus' does not mean its from God.. Its the confession about God in the flesh.. that is the important part.. but some translations have left that out..mmmm:confused I wonder why?.....

When they 'confess' God has come in the flesh in the person of Jesus the Christ.. this is how you know the Spirit of the Living God is PRESENT....

:agree: - Very important

Lamplighter
Nov 22nd 2008, 04:40 AM
All of the answers so far are great.

What about the gift in 1 Cor 12:10? It's the gift of Discerning(judging) Spirits?

What are you guys opinions on this gift? Have you seen somebody with this gift, or do you have it yourself?

looking4jesus
Nov 22nd 2008, 04:46 AM

Good post I agree confessing in the name of Jesus Christ
God Bless
Randy