PDA

View Full Version : Matt. 16:28

catlover
Nov 21st 2008, 10:28 PM
"There are some of those who are standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom" Jesus (NASB)

Shall not taste death? I'm not sure how this should be interpreted b/c obviously He was talking to those around Him b/c he said "standing here". And they've died, so ...

GitRDunn
Nov 21st 2008, 10:50 PM
"There are some of those who are standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom" Jesus (NASB)

Shall not taste death? I'm not sure how this should be interpreted b/c obviously He was talking to those around Him b/c he said "standing here". And they've died, so ...
I don't know for sure, but perhaps he is referring to the Devil in that the Devil will roam this world until Jesus comes and will then receive his final punishment, being cast into the Lake of Fire.

Kahtar
Nov 21st 2008, 11:29 PM
He was speaking to his desciples. They were all gathered together in the upper room when they saw Him coming in His Kingdom.

brakelite
Nov 22nd 2008, 01:09 AM
I see two ways that this verse could be understood, both being valid. First, the context reveals clearly that Jesus is talking of His second coming. Second, He is speaking of some in His immediate presence, those listening to His words.
The Pharisees were always there, trying to trick Him and tempt Him in His words. Some of them were directly responsible for nailing Him to the cross by participating in His trial and condemnation. Revelation says that those who pierced Him would see Him at His coming.
Re 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
I would suggest that these would be given a special resurrection just for the occasion that God may reveal to them His Son's glory and the truth of His identity which they so stubbornly and evilly rejected.
Others who were standing there were those disciples who would accept His salvation. The death that Jesus would be referring to here would be the second death. They would 'sleep' yes, but would be resurrected with all the saints at His coming and witness it without tasting the second death which is reserved for those at the end of the millennium who did not believe.

GitRDunn
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:09 AM
I see two ways that this verse could be understood, both being valid. First, the context reveals clearly that Jesus is talking of His second coming. Second, He is speaking of some in His immediate presence, those listening to His words.
The Pharisees were always there, trying to trick Him and tempt Him in His words. Some of them were directly responsible for nailing Him to the cross by participating in His trial and condemnation. Revelation says that those who pierced Him would see Him at His coming.
Re 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
I would suggest that these would be given a special resurrection just for the occasion that God may reveal to them His Son's glory and the truth of His identity which they so stubbornly and evilly rejected.
Others who were standing there were those disciples who would accept His salvation. The death that Jesus would be referring to here would be the second death. They would 'sleep' yes, but would be resurrected with all the saints at His coming and witness it without tasting the second death which is reserved for those at the end of the millennium who did not believe.
I think those sound like some good ideas to me.

jeffweeder
Nov 22nd 2008, 03:01 AM

Hi catlover.

yes ,its an interesting piece of scripture.
Look what he said just before this--

"For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.

The only thing that makes sense to me is the next verse, which says that 3 of the disciples saw him in a glorified state--they saw him how he will be in his kingdom.

Six days later Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up on a high mountain by themselves.
2 And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.

catlover
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi catlover.

yes ,its an interesting piece of scripture.
Look what he said just before this--

The only thing that makes sense to me is the next verse, which says that 3 of the disciples saw him in a glorified state--they saw him how he will be in his kingdom.

But this doesn't answer my OP

RevLogos
Nov 23rd 2008, 04:59 AM

Since he was talking to his disciples, then he must have been referring to an event prior to their deaths. Possibly, since the very next verse says "Six days later..." Jesus knew this transfiguration event was coming and he referred to that.

I tend to think Jesus was referring to His death and resurrection and his appearances afterward. After the resurrection, the Son of Man is spiritually in His kingdom, yet returns to earth to meet again His disciples. That is, He came back, spiritually in His kingdom. Though his disciples saw this, as did some 500 more, we will have to wait until He comes again.

Lamplighter
Nov 23rd 2008, 05:48 AM
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the "Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Christ is speaking of his appearing to them after his resurrection.

"Son of man coming is his kingdom" is the key.

The Greek word used for kingdom in this passage is(basileia). It means "right of authority." Christ is not talking about his actual kingdom in this passage, but rather his right of kingship or his right of authority.

Marc B
Nov 23rd 2008, 05:53 AM
Bingo! Jesus inherited the right to be King over everything from His Father.

EvangMike
Nov 23rd 2008, 05:55 AM
The Lord Jesus is referring to those who would see Him in His glory on the Mount of Transfiguration.

In the verse before this (Mt. 17:27), Jesus said: "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father.."

Jesus really did offer the Kingdom when He came the first time. Had He been received the Kingdom would have been brought in - He would have died later. However, God knowing what would happen, Jesus only revealed His glory here as a further proof of Who He was.

Notice that Peter spoke of this event in 2Pe 1:17, and said "For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." The part in bold is a direct quote of Mt. 17:28.

God Bless.

markedward
Nov 26th 2008, 03:29 AM
Reasons why Matthew 16:28 was not about the transfiguration

Every time Christ used some sort of phrasing of the "Son of Man coming in His kingdom" or "when the Son of Man comes in His kingdom", etc., etc., He consistently only ever referred to a single event: The Coming. Interpreting 16:28 as a prophecy of some other event breaks His consistency.
What do you know, 16:28 immediately follows 16:27. And what is the context of 16:27? The throne judgment, the same one spoken of in Matthew 24 and Matthew 25. And those two chapters make it clear that this event happens at the same time as the Coming. So... tell me why Christ is speaking about the Coming in verse 27 then arbitrarily changes context - without saying so - in verse 28?
Christ's prophecy directly implies that at least some of the people standing in front of Him at that moment would die before the Coming. He says "some standing here will not taste death". Sensically, what is the opposite of "some"? The answer is "most". If only "some" would not taste death, then at least "some" would taste death by then, if not "most". Unless you're suggesting Christ actually said "Most, if not all of you, will not taste death before the Son of Man comes in His kingdom", why would He even make such a prophecy that only "some" of the people standing in front of Him would be alive after only six days' time? The very nature of how He words this prophecy implies that the Coming would be in a future time farther than just a week later...

Notice that Peter spoke of this event in 2Pe 1:17, and said "For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." The part in bold is a direct quote of Mt. 17:28.First: I think you have your chapters mistaken... there is no Matthew 17:28... you probably mistyped 17 as 16, or just got the chapter numbers confused.

Second: You said that the part of 2 Peter 1:17 that you bolded was a "direct quote" of Matthew 16:28... it's not. Are you sure you had the right verse pointed out?

angel_fire
Nov 26th 2008, 04:33 AM
"TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE"
(Luke 23:43)

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Revelation 21

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, because the first heaven and the first earth had disappeared, and the sea was gone.

This is my opinion, but I think you go to Heaven or Hell as soon as you die. Then await judgment for the bad people.

God has a Heaven now, and I am sure that Jesus did not lie to the Thief on the cross, he said today, he meant today.
Since God is going to create a new Heaven and a new Earth, then its possible that people are already there.

The body dies however the soul moves on.