PDA

View Full Version : What happened in 73 AD?

cwb
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:06 AM
I am trying to understand this from the perspective of those who say the abomination of desolation happened in the first century. I know the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. Daniel says that there are 1290 days from when the sacrifice is taken away until the abomination of desolation is set up. 1290 days after 70 AD is 73-74 AD. So what exactly happened then that would qualify as the abomination of desolation?

Daniel 12 11
And from the time [that] the daily [sacrifice] shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, [there shall be] a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

cross+tie
Nov 23rd 2008, 03:44 AM
I am trying to understand this from the perspective of those who say the abomination of desolation happened in the first century. I know the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. Daniel says that there are 1290 days from when the sacrifice is taken away until the abomination of desolation is set up. 1290 days after 70 AD is 73-74 AD. So what exactly happened then that would qualify as the abomination of desolation?

Daniel 12 11
And from the time [that] the daily [sacrifice] shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, [there shall be] a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

actually you bring out a good point....which I'd never thought of.....I've always considered that the Roman army didn't fulfill Daniel 11 in 70ad....

DurbanDude
Nov 23rd 2008, 08:45 AM

Daniel 12 11

From a post-trib / pre-mill perspective I interpret this verse as meaning that the 1290 day period starts from the occurring of two events, the ending of sacrifices and the abomination being set up. The abomination is the starting point. I think amills interpret this verse in the same way, if so, this would still require that something happens at 73 AD but not the abomination.

cwb
Nov 24th 2008, 11:55 PM
From a post-trib / pre-mill perspective I interpret this verse as meaning that the 1290 day period starts from the occurring of two events, the ending of sacrifices and the abomination being set up. The abomination is the starting point. I think amills interpret this verse in the same way, if so, this would still require that something happens at 73 AD but not the abomination.

When the words "from the time that" are used there has to be a starting point and an ending point for the sentence to make sense. The interpretation you gave has a starting point (the two events) but i do not see any ending point in the text. What is the ending point in you interpretation?

DurbanDude
Nov 25th 2008, 06:06 AM
When the words "from the time that" are used there has to be a starting point and an ending point for the sentence to make sense. The interpretation you gave has a starting point (the two events) but i do not see any ending point in the text. What is the ending point in you interpretation?

12:8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

In the context of the whole of Chapter 11 and 12 , I would guess that the ending point is all those things expected to happen at the end, like the death of the antichrist (Daniel 11) , and the resurrection (Daniel 12:2).

BroRog
Nov 25th 2008, 04:53 PM

Daniel 12 11

Daniel 9 predicts the destruction of the temple.

Daniel 11 predicts the pollution of the temple.

These are two different events.

Daniel 12 reiterates Daniel 11.

Romulus
Dec 2nd 2008, 03:20 PM

Daniel 12 11

Hi CWB,

It makes the understanding of this clearer when we see the scripture. Here is Daniel 12:11 from the Septuagint into English:

Daniel 12

12:11 And from the time of the removal of the perpetual sacrifice, when the abomination of desolation shall be set up, [there shall be] a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

This translation shows a different perspective then most translations today. The Septuagint is the greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures. It would have been used by the majority since Greek was the main language and only a few knew the original Hebrew.

Anyhow, the scripture above states that the removal of the sacrifice was at the same time when the abomination was set up. From that point there would be 1290 days or 3.5 years. In Josephus's "Wars of the Jews" he writes that the high priest in 66 A.D. prohibited foreigners from sacrificing in the temple. In December of 66 A.D. Titus and the armies of Rome surrounded Jerusalem fulfilling Matthew 24, and Luke 21 in regard to the abomination appearing(Rome.) Titus and the armies of Rome then left for no reason giving those that headed Christ's warning to flee to the mountains(of Pella.) This was the last time anyone had to escape the coming destruction. Titus then returned in February 67 A.D. and began the 3.5 year/42 month siege(tribulation) of Jerusalem.

I believe this was fulfilled just as scripture states it would occur. Just a note, many Partial-Preterists and Historicists believe this was fulfilled as well.

God Bless!