PDA

View Full Version : John 5:24 Crossing over from death to life

RevLogos
Nov 22nd 2008, 07:06 PM
Joh 5:24 [NIV] "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

I would like your thoughts on the implications of this verse. Jesus is speaking to Jewish leaders who are none to happy about him doing work on the Sabbath, and calling God his Father.

As I read this, it seems Jesus is saying that with faith one crosses over from death to eternal life. This suggests that prior to being born again, we are spiritually dead. Before one is born again, one is not really dead, one simply does not exist. Is there a difference? Does this mean that when one is saved one becomes spiritually alive? Are there other verses that could edify this? Verses that talk about spiritual death, or non-existence, prior to being saved?

Walstib
Nov 22nd 2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Revolvr

As I read this, it seems Jesus is saying that with faith one crosses over from death to eternal life. This suggests that prior to being born again, we are spiritually dead.
Reckoned dead is how I understand it. The intimate relationship with God is dead, which is like being dead to God, yet we live. I think this verse could go both ways, calls things that exist as though they don't.

.........God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; (Rom 4:17 NKJV)

Before one is born again, one is not really dead, one simply does not exist. Is there a difference?
I would say yes.... they exist or we are all in trouble and this itself should show they are not "really dead"

Does this mean that when one is saved one becomes spiritually alive?
I would say it does not show it to be true but it is true. At least regarding the relationship possibilities with God.

Are there other verses that could edify this? Verses that talk about spiritual death, or non-existence, prior to being saved?
I don't know about non existence but a couple for the other I think. Gen3:3, Rom 7, Rom 5:15

Implications of the First verse? I think of the crossing of the Jordan, the Israelites existed before they crossed over into the promised land. Yet a new life was found for them there, in a way they were as good as dead wandering around in the desert.

In the end I like this verse, Jesus is Lord of them all even if they don't exist ;)

For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.(Rom 14:9 NKJV)

Peace,
Joe

FaithfulSheep
Nov 23rd 2008, 12:11 AM
When I read this, to me it is saying that once we place our faith and trust in God, our destiny crosses over from death (hell) to life (Heaven).

Lamplighter
Nov 23rd 2008, 01:07 AM
Eternal life for a Christian begins on conversion.

Are you a born again Christian? Then you have eternal life right now.:pp

RevLogos
Nov 23rd 2008, 06:30 AM
When I read this, to me it is saying that once we place our faith and trust in God, our destiny crosses over from death (hell) to life (Heaven).

I'm not sure the death=hell idea works here, or at least this is getting to my question. Prior to birth, one is not dead, one just doesn't exist. Prior to being "born again" are we spiritually dead, or do we not have a spiritual self at all?

The next verse says:

Joh 5:25 I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

I don't think Jesus is literally talking about dead people. I think the dead Jesus refers to are those spiritually dead because they have not heard or accepted the word. But what does spiritually dead really mean? I've heard preachers use similar words, like "You were dead before you were born again" or something like that.