PDA

View Full Version : As a "Thief in the Night" ???

Lady Ashanti
Nov 23rd 2008, 11:22 PM
2 Peter 3:10 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=68&chapter=3&verse=10&version=50&context=verse)

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-8 (New King James Version)

1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.
2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.
3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.
5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night.
8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.

Why do we keep quoting one part of the scripture while leaving off the rest? The "day of the Lord" will come as a thief in the night to those who are in darkness, however we that are in the light shall know the "season" of His arrival...[He left us the "signs"]...

Of course, it matters not because we should live, and worship Him everyday as though it is our last, however as we see the signs approaching closer, and faster it should increase our evangelism, and decrease our concern regarding the "cares of this world"...

Be blessed!!!:hug:

WritingRose
Nov 23rd 2008, 11:26 PM
2 Peter 3:10 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=68&chapter=3&verse=10&version=50&context=verse)

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-8 (New King James Version)

1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.
2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.
3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.
5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night.
8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.

Why do we keep quoting one part of the scripture while leaving off the rest? The "day of the Lord" will come as a thief in the night to those who are in darkness, however we that are in the light shall know the "season" of His arrival...[He left us the "signs"]...

Of course, it matters not because we should live, and worship Him everyday as though it is our last, however as we see the signs approaching closer, and faster it should increase our evangelism, and decrease our concern regarding the "cares of this world"...

Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think I quite noticed this before:

jeffweeder
Nov 23rd 2008, 11:53 PM

Thats what Peter emphasised also, starting from where you left off;

11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, 15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things

Eaglenester
Nov 24th 2008, 12:14 AM

AMEN

But look at how many are getting more concerned about the "cares of this world" than they are about "being about the Fathers business"

JesusReignsForever
Nov 24th 2008, 12:37 AM
Amen it is time to get busy! Jesus is soon to come. And thanks for pointing out that scripture. He will come as a thief in the night to those who arent looking for him...that are so caught up in this world.

possumliving
Nov 25th 2008, 06:57 AM
Because it is just like many other things that people preach. It is made by men with either no understanding of the Word, or someone who was taught by someone with no understanding.

There are a lot of men in pulpits who aren't even Christians, much less called to preach. But when people aren't taught by the Lord, many of them hold tenaciously to those things they learned in Seminary or the church where they grew up.

It's just like I was talking to an elder of a church nearby about two months ago. I told him that the Bible teaches that we shall be here during the tribulation. He started spluttering and stuff and I let him.

Then he started quoting Scriptures about the dead in Christ shall rise first and we shall be caught up with them...

So I waited and I asked him. "Doesn't the Bible say that these things happen at the blowing of the last trumpet?"

He said yes.

I said, well where in the book of Revelation does the last trumpet sound????

Rev 10:7 But that when the days come when the trumpet call of the seventh angel is about to be sounded, then God's mystery (His secret design, His hidden purpose), as He had announced the glad tidings to His servants the prophets, should be fulfilled (accomplished, completed).

Rev 11:15 The seventh angel then blew [his] trumpet, and there were mighty voices in heaven, shouting, The dominion (kingdom, sovereignty, rule) of the world has now come into the possession and become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ (the Messiah), and He shall reign forever and ever (for the eternities of the eternities)!

The seven angels are given trumpets in Rev. 8, just prior to Wormwood.

A third of the people are killed of with three plagues in Rev 9:18

In Rev. 10: 11 John is told to make a fresh prophecy.

The next question that I usually get with people trying to prove that we won't be here is about th 144,000 being sealed. "Where are the Christians sealed?"

I said, when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are sealed then. God doesn't have to reseal us!

2 Cor 1:22 [He has also appropriated and acknowledged us as His by] putting His seal upon us and giving us His [Holy] Spirit in our hearts as the security deposit {and} guarantee [of the fulfillment of His promise].

Eph 1:13 In Him you also who have heard the Word of Truth, the glad tidings (Gospel) of your salvation, and have believed in {and} adhered to {and} relied on Him, were stamped with the seal of the long-promised Holy Spirit.

Eph 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God [do not offend or vex or sadden Him], by Whom you were sealed (marked, branded as God's own, secured) for the day of redemption (of final deliverance through Christ from evil and the consequences of sin).

I have been looking for the return of Christ since I was four years old and I dreamed Revelation chapter 19 in full living color! I have also believed that I would live to see the tribulation and the return of Christ.

So I wait and watch with strong purpose.

Steph

TexasBeliever
Nov 25th 2008, 02:43 PM
"Thief in the night" is a very profound statement as it has a double meaning.

Meaning one as it pertains to people who walk in spiritual darkness.
Meaning two is literal darkness-----"For the sun shall be darkened, the moon will not give it's light and the stars will be falling from the sky and THEN you will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds with great glory."