PDA

View Full Version : Any1 ever feel too busy to be faithful

yoyoyo
Nov 25th 2008, 07:16 PM
I woke up this morning to go to class with the television on and still dressed in my clothes from the previous night. And i was kinda upset because for the past couple of nights i have been forgetting to pray and waking up and saying today would be different. Ive just been too busy with other things such as hw or just talking on the phone the whole night until i just pass out and go to sleep. Also, during the day, lately i haven't really find myself thinking about or talking to God as much as i used to. But its almost thanksgiving and i dont really have any other big assignments to keep me busy anymore and i already feel myself caring more about what God would want me to do. My question is does anyone else go days on end without thinking about God. Not really doing wrong things while your not thinking about God, but more like God just not even really being a factor in the things you do? And if so, how long do you guys usually go? Its been since friday for me, so 4 days. i felt bad about it tho all those days when i woke up tho.

Ekeak
Nov 26th 2008, 12:10 AM
If you're faithful, you can be doing everything but praising and reading the Bible, and you can still get to Heaven. If you feel like you want to have more faith, make some time. I'm sure you can read about 10 minutes of Scripture while you're getting a glass of water for the night, or before you play the computer. Jesus loves you. But if you have time, make sure you are affirming your faith.

Cara Lott
Nov 26th 2008, 05:36 AM
While I haven't missed several days of devotions on end in a few years, there are times -- such as when I'm spending the night at someone's house or my family is staying in a motel room -- that I'll skip my devotions. I do my devotions at night right before bed so there are also some days when I'm really tired/it's late that I don't read as much in my Bible and I don't really concentrate on what I'm reading. Lately, though I've been trying both in the morning and at night: I've heard from a number of different people that if one does devotions at the start of the day he/she is more likely to concentrate on godly things throughout the day. I have to admit that I don't think about God throughout the day as much as I think I should, so that's why I'm trying it -- so far I haven't really noticed a difference. I think I might try taping a verse somewhere in my room where I'll notice it throughout the day to help remind me.

Writing this post made me think about the devotion times that I find most fulfilling: those are the ones I do at the end of the day, but also make time for. I sing a favorite hymm or two, write out some notes on what I'm reading, etc.; then follow it up by turning off the lights and praying in the dark before I go to sleep: that way it feels like it's just God and me.

Revinius
Nov 26th 2008, 08:32 AM
It's a big step between thinking of and doing. I remember a wise man once said to me, force yourself to pray until you actually start praying.

Put other things aside regardless of their apparent need, God will look after you.

shine
Nov 26th 2008, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure where I've heard this analogy and I don't know if this might help or not but to me faith is kind of like glasses. We can look at and do anything whilst wearing these glasses even watch tv or do the dishes or engage in other worldly things. However sometimes we have to make a concious effort to put these glasses on. Some of the ways we can do this is through prayer and meditating on the presence of God and who Jesus really is. Without doing this we can become blinded by a world that is ordered around serving the self and become unresponsive to the divine light of love found in Jesus. Jesus loves you and spending time focusing on him will hopefully bring you peace.

RedBird777
Dec 1st 2008, 05:57 AM
You should be worshiping God in everything that you do. Worship should not be a problem.

For prayer, I have an issue with prayers over 45 seconds long thanks to my attention span. I give little "burst" prayers throughout the whole day.

Bex4Jesus
Dec 1st 2008, 02:17 PM
I woke up this morning to go to class with the television on and still dressed in my clothes from the previous night. And i was kinda upset because for the past couple of nights i have been forgetting to pray and waking up and saying today would be different. Ive just been too busy with other things such as hw or just talking on the phone the whole night until i just pass out and go to sleep. Also, during the day, lately i haven't really find myself thinking about or talking to God as much as i used to. But its almost thanksgiving and i dont really have any other big assignments to keep me busy anymore and i already feel myself caring more about what God would want me to do. My question is does anyone else go days on end without thinking about God. Not really doing wrong things while your not thinking about God, but more like God just not even really being a factor in the things you do? And if so, how long do you guys usually go? Its been since friday for me, so 4 days. i felt bad about it tho all those days when i woke up tho.

I could have wrote your post! *sighs* I think a lot of us are having similar problems, at least I hope so. Wait, I don't really 'hope so,' but I'm having these problems and I hope I'm not alone, if you know what I mean.

I resorted to putting a post-it note on my night stand and on my computer monitor and a few other places to get me in the habit of praying or reading the Bible for a least a few minutes each day. I think when you make it a habit, it will eventually feel weird not to.

But I know what you mean, between classes and work and all the events on campus, it pulls you in all directions. Ugh!

JesusMySavior
Dec 5th 2008, 05:27 AM

It's more about what flows out of you rather than what you can sump-pump out of you. God wants a heart that wants to pray, not a heart that feels guilty if he/she doesn't. Christ died so we could be free, not so we could be bound by laws of our own.

Now sometimes we do need discipline because our flesh is always screaming at us. However when I force myself to pray it's usually a vain repetition that means nothing "Lord help her to know you and your salvation blah blah blah blah" and then it's like man this is pathetic. Pray with your heart and love God! It has to come from His supply, not ours.