PDA

View Full Version : The POTUS and the Middle East

catlover
Nov 25th 2008, 09:12 PM
This is assumption on my part, but 3 presidents of the U.S. - Carter, Reagan, and Bush 2, were/are familiar with the Bible. How can they believe they can help to bring peace to the Middle East. We know that the only time there will be peace of some sort in the Middle East is during the tribulation (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

But my main question is don't they know it's pointless to even try.

teddyv
Nov 25th 2008, 11:00 PM
This is assumption on my part, but 3 presidents of the U.S. - Carter, Reagan, and Bush 2, were/are familiar with the Bible. How can they believe they can help to bring peace to the Middle East. We know that the only time there will be peace of some sort in the Middle East is during the tribulation (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

But my main question is don't they know it's pointless to even try.
"Blessed are the peacemakers..." ?

carboy
Nov 26th 2008, 12:22 AM
"Blessed are the peacemakers..." ?

I've come to relate this to evangelism. Shod your feet with the gospel of peace. You know, how blessed the mountains are under the feet of him who brings good tidings, tidings of peace, that stuff.

I believe the world looks like a different place from the oval office or from any seat of major importance. Political ties and pressure, information change a persons world view. The job is not easy. Obama may surprise us for a few years. It's the later years I'm concerned about.

Anyway the prophetic outlook on this board isn't in agreement with times and interpretation all the time but the government runs in their time which is a bit ahead of our time and their time has no room for bible time especially when many believe it's high time to remove it completely. Reagan was pushed a number of times by the press on the issue of using the Bible for policy making. It is a slippery slope.

We are asked to pray for our leaders so we may live a peaceful life. The Bible doesn't tell us to count on it but we are asked to pray for it. May our leadership be influenced by our prayers .

markedward
Nov 26th 2008, 02:17 AM
We know that the only time there will be peace of some sort in the Middle East is during the tribulation (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).Can anyone provide Scripture for this assumption, or is it just that?

dan
Nov 26th 2008, 10:45 AM
...Can never be, until Jesus' Return, peace in the ME. But, there will always be those that wish for, ask for, and demand it to happen.

JER 8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.

ZECH 12:3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

markedward
Nov 26th 2008, 03:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the context of Jeremiah 8:11 is the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem, when the first temple was destroyed. Jeremiah was not prophesying about thousands of years of history.

Zechariah 12:3 speaks of a "day". Perhaps a "day and age" might be a proper interpretation of what it means by "in that day", but even still, neither "in that day" nor "in that day and age" refer to multi-thousands of years of history. Zechariah 12:3 is prophesying an eschatological event, not the whole history of the land of Israel.

Be careful not to take things out of context... you can't just grab a random verse and say "See what it's prophesying?!"

quiet dove
Nov 26th 2008, 07:38 PM
...Can never be, until Jesus' Return, peace in the ME. But, there will always be those that wish for, ask for, and demand it to happen.

ZECH 12:3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

It is my understanding also that there is much scripture teaching that at some point there will be peace in Jerusalem. The passages that say Jerusalem will be "burdensome" are proving to be true in these later days, still. And I also believe that the passages speaking of peace will be coming to pass. That will be after "all the people of the earth be gathered together against it".

carboy
Nov 27th 2008, 03:39 PM
In keeping with the OP, we can see in a few posts why presidents don't set foreign policy to prophecy. What theology do they believe?

Some Christians believe the current state of Israel has nothing to do with the prophetic time line and others believe it has everything to do with the end times. As it says in Ezekiel ''...the people who are gathered from the nations.......who live at the center of the world". 38:12

There are disagreements about the placement of Ezekiel 38 in prophecy.

So the government deals with things in current time with their hopes and vision of a Middle East. If you, catlover, or any of us, could spend one week in Washington hearing everything there is to know about the current state of things, inside info, not news or blogs, but oval office, pentagon etc. I think your Question would be answered.

Sending Jews back to The Land is seen by some as a good thing but others read it as sending them back for the worst time ever for the Jew, the time of Jacobs trouble. Two thirds will be wiped out. So what theology do we set policy with?

Veretax
Dec 1st 2008, 01:12 PM
I remember thinking this too. There may for a time be peace in Iraq, but I think the invasion of iraq only postponed what will ultimately happen according to prophecy.

RabbiKnife
Dec 1st 2008, 01:52 PM
Please, people, please....let's not get the Bible involved in our discussion of the End Times....

My heart's Desire
Dec 2nd 2008, 04:24 AM

But my main question is don't they know it's pointless to even try.I don't think that it has to do with their familiarity with the Word but has to do with individual's end time views and depending on their view it may not seem pointless to try. There are some who believe peace on all the earth will be made in preparation for the Lord's return.

Amos_with_goats
Dec 2nd 2008, 04:38 AM
Please, people, please....let's not get the Bible involved in our discussion of the End Times....

:)

I do believe that like so many rulers recorded in scripture, the POT US is driven by fairly pragmatic motives.

War in the 'middle east' is bad for the US. We are too dependent on Saudi oil to allow problems. I believe that it will be exactly this same spirit of compromise that will be the mix of Iron and Clay.

Daniel 2:41 (King James Version)

41And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.

dan
Dec 5th 2008, 01:38 AM
:)

I do believe that like so many rulers recorded in scripture, the POT US is driven by fairly pragmatic motives.

War in the 'middle east' is bad for the US. We are too dependent on Saudi oil to allow problems. I believe that it will be exactly this same spirit of compromise that will be the mix of Iron and Clay.

Daniel 2:41 (King James Version)

41And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.

...Are bestowed by God. God drives and manipulates rulers to bring about the events on the earth.

This is why you are not supposed to ridicule your rulers.

His Will be done.

IS 45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
IS 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

IS 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: