PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions for End Times events

catlover
Nov 28th 2008, 02:57 PM
Other than the Bible, what are some of the best, easy to read/understand books about End Times events? I've read some Hal Lindsey a long time ago. What do people on this board think of HL?

Rufus_1611
Nov 28th 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm not a fan of Hal Lindsay or any other folks that yolk up with TBN.

For book suggestions for end time events I would encourage that you seek some of the old guys like Robert Govett, DM Panton, or GH Pember.

Joe King
Nov 28th 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not a fan of Hal Lindsay or any other folks that yolk up with TBN.

For book suggestions for end time events I would encourage that you seek some of the old guys like Robert Govett, DM Panton, or GH Pember.

What's wrong with TBN?

carboy
Nov 28th 2008, 04:00 PM
If your a dispensationalist Clarence Larken is a good read. He was a Philadelphia preacher in the early 20th century. He wrote a number of books.

I don't hold to that view fully anymore but he puts it out there better than most.

Dispensational Truth

Revelation

Daniel

His charts and grafts are cool to look at. You may have already seen a few. He has time lines of the Kings and others.

Rufus_1611
Nov 28th 2008, 04:01 PM
What's wrong with TBN? Benny Hinn, Paul Crouch, etc. etc.

threebigrocks
Nov 28th 2008, 04:24 PM
Honestly, after being left wanting trying to understand scripture in other ways I stick with prayer and scripture and rely on the Spirit. It's all in there, He'll show you if you are patient and hear Him. :)

IamBill
Nov 28th 2008, 05:12 PM
:agree:

Other than the Bible, what are some of the best, easy to read/understand books about End Times events? I've read some Hal Lindsey a long time ago. What do people on this board think of HL?

Other than the Bible ?

I too would recommend - None

thepenitent
Nov 28th 2008, 07:09 PM

I think Hal Lindsay is very entertaining. He is what I call a "headline chaser" and a "date setter". History has not been kind to this brand of eschatology. Lindsay does however pretty much stick to the standard dispensationalist viewpoint. There are lots of writers to choose from to learn about this flavor of end times theory, Tim LaHaye, Hal Lindsay, Van Impe, etc, etc. I think LaHaye's "Revelation Unvieled" covers this view of end times as well or better than anyone else.

For a look at the peterist view there is a guy named Gentry, (brain fade right now and I can't remember his full name and book and I'm not by my bookshelf) who is writing some neat stuff and makes a powerful argument that Revelation was written before the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

For the historiscist view of end times check out 'End time Delusions" by Steve Wohlberg or "Daniel and the Revelations" by Uriah Smith. The latter is over 100 years old but still one of my favorites in its insight and writing. An oldie but goodie.

catlover
Nov 28th 2008, 11:02 PM
Ok, what are:

the dispensationalist view, the historiscist view of end times, and the peterist view?

I have no idea what these area.

thepenitent
Nov 29th 2008, 01:20 AM
Ok, what are:

the dispensationalist view, the historicist view of end times, and the preterist view?

I have no idea what these area.

They are the three main theories or views of how end times prophecies should be interpreted. Preterist believes all the end times prophecies were fulfilled with the fall of Rome in 70 AD. Historicist's believe the predictions have been being fulfilled since the death of Christ and that ultimately Christ will return as told in Revelation. This was the view of almost all the reformation theologians. The dispensationalist or futurist view believes that a timetable has been set for the beginning of the end times and includes the rapture, the third temple, the 7 year peace treaty, 3 1/2 years of anti-Christ and all the other stuff that goes with the "Left Behind" story. Each theory has its strengths and weaknesses. The fact each theory has fanatic supporters tells me no one has a real handle on eschatology.

moonglow
Nov 29th 2008, 04:20 PM
They are the three main theories or views of how end times prophecies should be interpreted. Preterist believes all the end times prophecies were fulfilled with the fall of Rome in 70 AD. Historicist's believe the predictions have been being fulfilled since the death of Christ and that ultimately Christ will return as told in Revelation. This was the view of almost all the reformation theologians. The dispensationalist or futurist view believes that a timetable has been set for the beginning of the end times and includes the rapture, the third temple, the 7 year peace treaty, 3 1/2 years of anti-Christ and all the other stuff that goes with the "Left Behind" story. Each theory has its strengths and weaknesses. The fact each theory has fanatic supporters tells me no one has a real handle on eschatology.

The partial preterist view is more acceptable and more popular then the full preterist view though...the full preterist view is considered heretical by many also and only a minor view..I wouldn't consider full preterist a main theory at all actually. The partial view holds that part...but not all of the end time prophecies have happened, including the Second Coming of Christ...that is still to happen along with many other things...

God bless

third hero
Nov 29th 2008, 05:55 PM

Catlover, here is my recommendations.

1. King James Version of the Bible
2. Amplified Bible
3. The New International Version
4. The interlinear Greek to English New Testament.

This is what caused me to fully understand the end times. But these alone did not completely aid in my understanding. Sincere prayer is the final component. The Lord still speaks and He will show you the truth, even if you do nto understand it, ask Him. He will explain it to you.

thepenitent
Nov 29th 2008, 07:22 PM
The partial preterist view is more acceptable and more popular then the full preterist view though...the full preterist view is considered heretical by many also and only a minor view..I wouldn't consider full preterist a main theory at all actually. The partial view holds that part...but not all of the end time prophecies have happened, including the Second Coming of Christ...that is still to happen along with many other things...

God bless

The partial preterist view is almost indistinguishable from the historicist view when taken to its logical conclusion.

carboy
Nov 29th 2008, 07:28 PM
Honestly, after being left wanting trying to understand scripture in other ways I stick with prayer and scripture and rely on the Spirit. It's all in there, He'll show you if you are patient and hear Him. :)

Ya you bet. I still like the years I spent with my Dispensational brothers and the books we went threw but I departed the full dispensational teaching not by reading other views but seeking the truth through prayer and reading scripture.

Now I can say I'm a pretitionalhistopoetryist. :rofl:

quiet dove
Nov 29th 2008, 07:38 PM

ok, thats funny :lol:

thepenitent
Nov 29th 2008, 08:23 PM

Reformed or orthodox? :lol:

Romulus
Dec 2nd 2008, 04:33 PM
For a look at the peterist view there is a guy named Gentry, (brain fade right now and I can't remember his full name and book and I'm not by my bookshelf) who is writing some neat stuff and makes a powerful argument that Revelation was written before the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

This book is "Before Jerusalem Fell" by Kenneth Gentry. I would recomend Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion by David Chilton also from the Partial-Preterist view point. If you enjoy this book, then I would then recomend "Days of Vengeance" also by David Chilton.

You will not find these at most Christian Bookstores since Futurist writers such as Lindsay and Jenkins are the norm there. You can find these on amazon or read/print for free at

www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/21de_47e.htm (http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/21de_47e.htm)

www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/2226_47e.htm (http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/2226_47e.htm)

There are other free books to read/print there as well including Gentry's Book. You can see them in HTML or PDF format. Just click the option you want from the title page (Written in blue.)

To see the full library go to http://www.entrewave.com/freebooks/docs/_bkstitl.htm

God Bless!