PDA

View Full Version : Confused about free will

Jolie76
Nov 30th 2008, 03:57 AM
Hello sorry if this is a bit long but I'm very confused.

I want to believe that everything happens for a reason and I'm just now truley giving faith a chance. Meaning I love someone very much and he is with someone else now and it's very heartbreaking. I have been praying everyday for God to either reunite us or help me through this so I can live again. I have my days where I am happy and excited for the future cuz I know God will do the best for me, but I still have days where I'm sad, and that makes me scared that I am not trusting god that day and it makes me feel sadder.

Im very lonely and have never had a relationship before even though I have loved deeply a couple of people they have not loved me back. I see happy couples and get very sad cuz I want that so much.

I have always believed in Jesus and God but I just recentely surrendered to the fact he is the only one who can give me happiness but I get scared sometimes that my faith will wobble again and I'll be still alone.

I guess I'm confused because it says we have free will but it thats true how can God be in control and be guiding us.
http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://bibleforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1886178):confused

Moxie
Nov 30th 2008, 04:13 AM
I have had the same question. I feel part of the confusion with this subject is how people present their particular argument on this subject. The way it was explained to me.... We do have free will and God will allow us to follow whatever path we want to follow. However, He is in control in that He is constantly guiding us, through the Holy Spirit to the path and choices He knows will be best for us. There is also a constant fight between God and Satan. God has His 'soldiers' out fighting for us/over us. He is in control of this fight and Satan will always be defeated. Hope that helps.

bthafree
Nov 30th 2008, 05:19 AM
You are not alone. . .Hebrews 13:5 God has said:"NEVER WILL I LEAVE YOU; NEVER WILL I FORSAKE YOU" I pray that this will help you. God bless

angel_fire
Nov 30th 2008, 05:24 AM
I would say, we have freewill in somethings,and somethings we dont.

creedfan
Nov 30th 2008, 05:33 AM
I'm going through an extremely similar situation, and most times, I believe that in ways I don't understand, God will work things out for better than anything I'm expecting or hoping for. Other times, I just....like you sad feel sad and my faith falls a lot. If you ever want to talk, send me a pm(do they have pm's here?) and you can add me to yahoo. Sometimes it's good to talk to people who are going through the same problem to get good perspectives.

Jacquie
Nov 30th 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time in life. Please remember that Life is a large tapestry and G-d in his infinite wisdom sees the entire finished product, while all we can see is the square we are currently in.
G-d does not necessarily want you to be alone, but perhaps has someone better in mind for you. Focus on Him and everything will fall into place.
As for free will, G-d has given us the ability to decide for ourselves, but also provides for His ultimate plan to be fulfilled. Take for example Moses. If you read Exodus 6:10-13, G-d makes plain that Moses was to lead the Isrealites out of Egypt by himself. However, when he told G-d that he couldn't do it because of his speech impediment, G-d provided Aaron to assist him. Moses was able to decide for himself whether to follow G-d's will or not.
G-d provides many other examples of this. We are all given the ability to decide for ourselves whom we will follow, in fact he gives us directives to "Decide for ourselves whom we will follow".
I strongly believe that if G-d had wanted puppets to blindly follow he would have created us that way, but G-d wants us to truly love him. He commands us to! But ultimately it is our choice.

PsPickle
Dec 1st 2008, 06:45 PM

I want to believe that everything happens for a reason and I'm just now truley giving faith a chance. Meaning I love someone very much and he is with someone else now and it's very heartbreaking. I have been praying everyday for God to either reunite us or help me through this so I can live again. I have my days where I am happy and excited for the future cuz I know God will do the best for me, but I still have days where I'm sad, and that makes me scared that I am not trusting god that day and it makes me feel sadder.

Im very lonely and have never had a relationship before even though I have loved deeply a couple of people they have not loved me back. I see happy couples and get very sad cuz I want that so much.

I have always believed in Jesus and God but I just recentely surrendered to the fact he is the only one who can give me happiness but I get scared sometimes that my faith will wobble again and I'll be still alone.

I guess I'm confused because it says we have free will but it thats true how can God be in control and be guiding us.
http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://bibleforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1886178):confused

I am guessing that when you say " I am giving faith a chance", you mean you are standing in faith for reconciliation of a romantic relationship with a former love?

How does this relate to free will ?

Our "Christian" Faith is placed in the One who gave us his promises. We know He will never break his promises. Our faith is the substance of things hoped for ( the fulfillment of His promises), the evidence of things not yet seen.

For your relationship faith. You were not promised a relationship with this person. He has a free will too. You can desire to restore the relationship you once had but because of "free-will", it may not happen.

It is good to have faith in God. He will never break his promises to you. But do not set your hopes on man because free-will means that your hope may not happen. It is better to find happiness within your relationship with God and let God fulfill your every longing. He does know whats best for you.

God can only be in control of your life if you surrender to Him. You are free to surrender or go your own way.

:hug:

kenrank
Dec 1st 2008, 07:05 PM

Jolie...God promises that he will not put on you more than you can handle. So whatever this is that is happening, it will not exceed your limits. Don't forget that!

The second thing is this...there are 7 billion people on earth, just under half are men. When you break it down to single men, your age, who have faith in God, who are looking for a good woman of faith...there are probably a couple hundred million out there. This guy you are having the problem with, is but ONE.

Put God first and KEEP him first. Ask him to guide you, IN HIS TIME and according to His WILL....to the ONE who can make you happy, love you, and allow you to grow together in God with. No man can fill that which is in you that only God can fill...so keep God first and let him work out the rest.

Peace.
Ken

Veretax
Dec 2nd 2008, 01:23 PM

There are a couple of ways to look at this.

First you have to consider if life is a journey, then on what Road do we travel? Is the point to get to A particular destination, or are the stops along the way important?

I know that's rather deep, but consider this, all things are created by him, and for him. There is nothing new under the Sun. There are countless verses that speak of what God did. When you consider Cause and Effect relationships, God is the ultimate prime mover (Cause). He started everything in motion. Now, lets take the idea of a Bicycle that you are riding for the first time. You dad gives you a push and off you go with the inertia he gives, and you peddle as best you can. Now. Your goal might be to reach the end of the street, turn around and come back, but what could happen? You could fall off the bike for one. You could also lose momentum and not have the strength to reach that goal. You might also veer away from the destination (turn away from the goal).

Now this is just an analogy, but I'm saying this to get your mind thinking.

Now, what was the Goal here? Think about that for a moment. Was the Goal to get to the destinatioN? Or was the Goal to learn how to ride so that you could reach A destination? Think about that for a moment. When we are first saved, we are told to walk by faith, we are told how to walk. Later we learn that we are to become teliosChrisitans according to James, complete or perfected in Christ, but we don't get there over night.

I cite this for one reason, I believe that God is constantly at work in the Universe. Now, I also believe that he gave man a certain bit of Free Will. So you ask how can you reconcile this? Well why did God Create man? Was not everything including us created expressly for his Glory? The bible speaks of heaven's exultation at a sinner who comes to repentance.

The question is does God pull all of our Strings, or does he move us in a direction and gently try to nudge, call or draw us back on the path when we stray. I believe Sometimes God allows us to move off the path so that we realize the importance of remaining on the path. It is a bit like the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve did not recognize sin until after they ate the forbidden fruit, and when they did, they realized that they were naked, that they are entirely known by God. Same thing here, How can we know Good if we do not have Evil to contrast it.

Now I am not saying that God wants us or even compells us to sin, so if anyone is drawing that conclusion please don't. What I am saying is God's Glory shines brighter when the prodigal returns to the fold.