PDA

View Full Version : Is there some sort of Revelation for Dummies type guide?

Bex4Jesus
Dec 4th 2008, 09:28 PM
I just sorta skimmed through some posts here and WOW I am confused :eek: I mean, there are soooo many little things everyone is discussing that I've never even heard of.

I always thought that when a Christian died she went to Heaven, and that was that, and that they would come back to Earth when Jesus took over for the 1000 years and then everyone would go back up. Am I totally off base?

HisLeast
Dec 4th 2008, 09:37 PM
I just sorta skimmed through some posts here and WOW I am confused :eek: I mean, there are soooo many little things everyone is discussing that I've never even heard of.

I always thought that when a Christian died she went to Heaven, and that was that, and that they would come back to Earth when Jesus took over for the 1000 years and then everyone would go back up. Am I totally off base?

Bex,

I think there's a problem in the modern Christian era with TOO MANY shortcuts in learning about Revelations. It is a difficult chunk of scripture, no question about it and for that reason is probably not a good place to start. My humble, possibly unqualified, advice is to read Revelations last. People from every interpretation will agree that its essential to understand some of the symbols used throughout the rest of the bible before determining their meaning when you find them in Revelations.

quiet dove
Dec 4th 2008, 09:50 PM

No, you are not off base. Understanding Revelation is not a salvation issue, being in Christ Jesus is. And if we are in Christ then basically in a nut shell, yes, when we die we go to be with Him, and that is all that matters. The rest will take care of itself and as you study the word in prayer and dependence upon the Spirit, you will gain more and more understanding.

dan
Dec 5th 2008, 04:22 AM

...And determined to understand. Pray for understanding. You are not totally off, but, the devil, is, literally, in the details.

Nihil Obstat
Dec 5th 2008, 07:00 AM
The book of Revelation was given by Jesus Himself to all of His servants for the purpose of unveiling His nature as our Bridegroom, King, and Judge that by the disclosing of His character we would stand and overcome through tribulation. If you have the indwelling Holy Spirit and a Bible, then Revelation is for you, and it is for today! This book is meant to be understood by even the simplest of minds, and those who make the apocalypse (Greek for "revealing") hard to grasp are in danger of the curses laid out in 22:18-19. If you are thirsty to know Jesus intimately in order to withstand the onslaught of Satan and the wrath of wicked men, then come and drink deep of this glorious book! Here's a simple outline to get you started:

I. 1:1-8 Introduction.
II. 1:9-3:22 Jesus' Epistles to encourage His churches facing oppression from Rome by making Himself known to them.
III. 4:1-11:19 The final 3.5 years.
A. 4:1-6:17 The receiving and opening of the scroll (the contract to ownership of the earth) initiated through the prayers of the saints on earth.
B. 7:1-17 Those who will stand in the day of the Lamb's wrath (a pause in the chronology to answer 6:17).
C. 8:1-10:7 The King forcefully removing the enemy from His purchased land by the prayers of the saints.
D. 10:8-11:13 The faithful witnesses partnering with the Lord in judging the wicked (like Moses and Aaron to Pharaoh; this is another short pause in the chronology).
E. 11:14-19 The return and the victory of the Lord Jesus Christ.
IV. 12:1-14:20 The Child ruling with a rod of iron will both raise up and destroy the beasts for the sake of breaking the pride of His people and restoring them, while at the same time bringing to fullness the iniquity of the wicked that He might judge and destroy them forever.
V. 15:1-16:21 A more complete picture of the seventh trumpet (cp. 15:5 and 16:18, 21 with 11:19).
VI. 17:1-21:8 The harlot (Babylon) who rides on the Beast (the final Gentile global empire) will be thrown down, never to rise again, but the wife of the Lamb (Jerusalem) will be brought to her promised place of eternal glory.
VII. 21:9-22:7 The glories of the perfected city after the great white throne judgment, where there is no more sin or death or devil - Hallelujah!
VIII. 22:8-21 Conclusion.

The point of this whole book is to cause the church to come to her full maturity by the revelation of Jesus Christ that she would be able to stand in the pressures of the most trying time in all of human history. Therefore, don't get caught up in all of the debates surrounding this book (not that they're bad, but understand that they take a back seat to knowing Jesus), and I would even encourage you to camp out mainly in the first 5 chapters for a month or two before going deeper in the later chapters. Come to know the Lamb, purify yourself in His cleansing flow, cry out for Him to come, and weep for the lost - then dive into 6-22. It is the experiential knowledge of Him, and not of any other topic in this book, that will sustain you in the times ahead, and therefore make Him your primary meditation.

Be blessed! - Astro

Nihil Obstat
Dec 5th 2008, 07:14 AM

Yes, Christians who die in Christ go to heaven, but heaven is coming to earth! And in heaven right now is a giant prayer and worship meeting, focused on Jesus receiving the reward of His suffering. Heaven will again be enjoined to the earth, just as it was in the Garden of Eden. Amen! Maranatha!

vinsight4u8
Dec 5th 2008, 01:17 PM
Rev. 19 will give a picture of events from the time of about the rapture to the time of the end of Armageddon.

See how the chapter begins with "after" - as in this part will not be connected to chapter 18? Chapter 19 is where to start a whole new story - so let it stand on its own.

Chapter 19 will soon show that salvation was said. Okay, add in Hebrews 9:28 and we learn that Jesus is going to appear at the time of salvation.

Then keep reading Rev. 19 and you should see that the great city that corrupted the earth is also to be punished at this appearing time of Jesus.
/so we can conclude rightly that the great tribulation against the church has ended now

Keep reading more in chapter 19 and we soon come to the marriage of the Lamb time.
/so - this marriage has the saints that were slain by the beast - the man of sin - also attending it.
Garments are given out.
Then note that soon we come to where heaven opens and armies come out.
These armies wear the attire that was given to the saints.
So off go the armies of saints - but then go clear to where the battle is fought against the beast and take note of something that changed a bit?
"army"
God has now only one army on His side fighting.
Why?
Because the other army that came from heaven is made up of the great tribulation martyrs - that by their martyrdom already won victory over the beast.

Chapter 20 does not start out as an "after" section - so let 19's story continue right on into chapter 20.

The army that fought for the Lord at the chapter 19 battle - will now get seated to reign - and soon the other army will join them.
(all of these being those of the first resurrection)

vinsight4u8
Dec 6th 2008, 03:52 PM
In Revelation let the words be what they are. Most today seem to change the words.

such as - kings - they'd rather place as kingdoms

For instance - Rev. 17 - as to seven kings are fallen

Most think that does not mean kings - so they change it to kingdoms. But there is a problem with that for the beast is given a kingdom by the ten horns.

kings - give kingdoms
kings get kingdoms

kingdoms do not give kingdoms to kingdoms

The beast is a long ago fallen king. We know this because Rev. 17 speaks of seven kings - five are fallen- places the beast among them as in the was category.

five kings are dead at the time of John is writing the message
and John is told the - beast was
and is of the seven - and will be the 8th

People just have a hard time with this thought - but the fact is an ancient dead king is to reign again.

Study Jeremiah 28:14, 30:6-9 and Deuteronomy 28:14 as to the yoke that will break.

moonglow
Dec 6th 2008, 03:58 PM

There is!

http://www.eso-garden.com/images/uploads_bilder/the_book_of_revelation_for_dummies_1.jpg

:lol::lol:

maybe I should get it for myself...:rolleyes:

Hang in there...

God bless

PilgrimPastor
Dec 7th 2008, 12:06 AM
Bex,

I think there's a problem in the modern Christian era with TOO MANY shortcuts in learning about Revelations. It is a difficult chunk of scripture, no question about it and for that reason is probably not a good place to start. My humble, possibly unqualified, advice is to read Revelations last. People from every interpretation will agree that its essential to understand some of the symbols used throughout the rest of the bible before determining their meaning when you find them in Revelations.

Absolutely, it is unwise to delve into biblical prophecy right off as a new believer. There are multiple interpretive methods in regard to revelation. For a dispensational perspective (I would argue for this view) which represents a literal historical interpretive method (not alone in that regard...) check out the following link for a book written by respected scholars affiliated with Liberty University. (My School)

http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Encyclopedia-Bible-Prophecy-Foremost/dp/0736913521/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228608513&sr=8-2

To echo the comments of another poster, at the end of the day, the clearest message is that Christ will return. Don't get too wrapped in prophecy before first laying a solid foundation of faith, spiritual discipline, and growth in Christ.

DevinWL
Dec 7th 2008, 03:45 AM
there is a MAJOR problem with the modern church and its not only trying to figure out short cuts but thinking that Revelations isnt a salvation issue..that statement is completely bogus...of course it is. Now understanding the book isnt but realizing once you do IS. Now let me reiterate my self...understanding..no..once we do...YES...

are we just to think that the churches Christ was talking about are some ancient chruches in which only 2 exist and operate today??? NO the church is us...CHRISTS CHURCH! What He said regarding the chruches applies to all not just one...it is Christs chruch as a whole...notice what he says "to him who has an ear let him hear what I have to say to the chruches". there you have it ladies and gents! It says that Jesus walkes in the midst but what about satan...HE HAS HIS THRONE IN IT...the synogogue of satan, not to be confused with the jewish religion

so get it right, we need to start looking at ourselves

quiet dove
Dec 7th 2008, 04:24 AM
There is!

http://www.eso-garden.com/images/uploads_bilder/the_book_of_revelation_for_dummies_1.jpg

:lol::lol:

maybe I should get it for myself...:rolleyes:

Hang in there...

God bless

moonglow, I am going to borrow this to steer the thread back on topic. :)

scourge39
Dec 7th 2008, 11:52 PM
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Book of Revelation is also good, but far and away, the best 'big picture' resource is The Theology of the Book of Revelation (New Testament Theology) by Richard Bauckham.

Sirus
Dec 8th 2008, 05:39 AM
Yes, Christians who die in Christ go to heaven, but heaven is coming to earth! And in heaven right now is a giant prayer and worship meeting, focused on Jesus receiving the reward of His suffering. Heaven will again be enjoined to the earth, just as it was in the Garden of Eden. Amen! Maranatha!Amen, Amen, Amen!

David Taylor
Dec 8th 2008, 01:28 PM

Read what Jesus wrote about his Return first...
Matthew 13, 22, 24, 25, 28:19-21
Mark 13
Luke 17
John 5:25-28, 6:39-40, 6:44,54; 11:24, 12:48

And the other less complicated NT. writers
Acts 3:19-21
Romans 8
I Corinthians 15
I Thess 4-5, 2 Thess 1-2
Jude 1:14-15

(also Job 14:10-15, Isaiah 24-25, 26:19-27:1)

Understanding these simpler verses first will make Revelation easier to got a grasp of and fit into place.

DurbanDude
Dec 8th 2008, 01:55 PM

Spot on! A lot of Christians who don't study the end-times have a better understanding than a lot of people on this site, don't let them confuse you , you've got the basics right.