PDA

View Full Version : Without Love, I Am Nothing

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 5th 2008, 02:17 AM
Abiding In Love
James McConkey

He who would know the abiding manifestation of God, needs to ABIDE in Love. We need not only to accept this great commandment as the rule of our life, but need to carry it into our daily life in actual practice. The act of surrender to do God's will of Love is not enough, unless it is followed by a daily, hourly doing of that greatest command. And the manifestation of His presence and love, which accompanies surrender, will fail of continuousness, if we do not daily live that which we yield ourselves to live - the love-life of God. Hence, the need of abiding in Love. For "he that abideth in love, abideth in God, and God abideth in him."

To abide in Love is to incarnate the great law of Love of others into every detail of our daily life. Not only must the self-life be renounced, by a solemn definite act but the habit of selfishness must be replaced by the habit of Love. We are to practice the new commandment in everything, "following after Love," as Paul says, until it becomes the steadfast law of our being, in all its details. We are to make "LOVE ONE ANOTHER" the touchstone by which to test every thought, word, and deed of our daily lives, until all are brought into conformity to the law which was supreme in the life of Jesus Christ Himself.

The rebuke you administered yesterday to a brother in Christ, was it done in love, or vexation? The counsel you gave, was it proffered in love, or pride of opinion? The meeting you led, the address you made, were they in love - to help others - or to add to your own reputation? The money you gave, was it in love to the lost - or in pride, and self-esteem? The remarks you make about others, are they in love? The thoughts you cherish in your secret heart concerning them - are they, too, full of love? Your giving, spending, ministering; your praying, and purposing, are they all in love? This is the supreme test of every detail of your life, by which you may know whether it is "God that worketh in you," or Self.

And how quickly that abiding in love becomes a condition of the manifestation of the Spirit! Let a day be spent in this attitude of love to others, instead of love of self. Let the words be kind and gentle; the acts helpful, unselfish, and considerate; the hours filled with loving, unselfish ministry; and the heart the abode of sympathetic, kindly thought. That day is a day of blessing, and the consciousness of the Spirit's blessed presence in the heart.

But let the words be harsh; the thoughts envious or spiteful; the acts selfish; the hours filled with self-seeking instead of self-forgetfulness; and who does not know the conscious shadowing of God's presence, the conscious grieving of the Spirit in such days and hours?

The moment we do an act, speak a word, think a thought in love, God, who is love, manifests Himself. But the moment we speak in harshness, act in selfishness and think in envy, hatred, or spite, the Flesh manifests itself. The law is as certain, simple, and inexorable as the law by which the kind of grain manifested depends upon the specific channel which is thrown open. If we yield to Love; will to love; incarnate Love; abide in Love, we shall surely be blessed with the conscious manifestation of the God who is Love, for we have opened the channel through which the Spirit of Love is bound to flow forth.

But if our words are bitter; our thoughts and aims constantly centered on self; our actions purely selfish; our lives self-centered, and loveless, then the manifestation of the Flesh, the self-life, the old nature is just as certain and inevitable as the manifestation of the Spirit to him who walks in love. Christ cannot manifest Himself through a life of murder or theft, that is self evident. But is it equally evident to us that Christ cannot manifest Himself through any act that is selfish or un-Christ-like? Every root of bitterness, every yielding to selfishness, every harsh judgment in our daily walk must, and does of necessity, break Christ's communion with us. How zealous and careful should we be then to ABIDE IN LOVE!

Let every act be done in love to others. Shun a selfish act as you would a sensual one. Shrink from an unloving thought or suggestion as you would from the hiss of a serpent. Eschew hasty bitter words as you would poisoned darts or daggers. Realize - what so astounds the natural heart - that God loves, regardless of His treatment by others; - "He is kind to the unthankful and the evil;" - even so should we. Wherefore, if some grievous wrong, insult, or unkindness goads you from your attitude of love, justify it not, but hasten to confess, and find forgiveness from Him who prayed for those who murdered Him, as well as for those who loved Him.

livingwaters
Dec 5th 2008, 04:02 AM
How true! How true! I know I have to pray everyday for God's kind of love, the agape kind...sometimes we can cut a person to shreds with our vicious tongues...oh, LORD, I pray for daily progress in this area..please, I pray, allow me to see others as YOU do!!! Thank you, Father!!:pray:

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 5th 2008, 04:39 AM
How true! How true! I know I have to pray everyday for God's kind of love, the agape kind...sometimes we can cut a person to shreds with our vicious tongues...oh, LORD, I pray for daily progress in this area..please, I pray, allow me to see others as YOU do!!! Thank you, Father!!:pray:

Oh, me too!!! You know, I used to be so focused on letting God's love flow through me. And then, I got away from that most important part of our Christian journey :cry:

I so need to get back to that as, truly, without God's love, we are nothing...

Oh, dear Jesus, make me kind again :pray:

keep the faith
Dec 14th 2008, 06:55 PM
thank you for posting this good msg....its very nice...but you know wat....though we know some of our words are harsh..and should not be used. ..though i know i shouldn raise my voice against my parents...i do so..its not that i want to ...i just fall for it.and then the next moment i feel i should have not done that..everytime when i raise my voice..Lord tells me to control as i should humble myself before my parents. and not raise my voice against them..but i dunno why?..i just fall into this trap..that is set by my enemy!!!.

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 14th 2008, 07:49 PM
thank you for posting this good msg....its very nice...but you know wat....though we know some of our words are harsh..and should not be used. ..though i know i shouldn raise my voice against my parents...i do so..its not that i want to ...i just fall for it.and then the next moment i feel i should have not done that..everytime when i raise my voice..Lord tells me to control as i should humble myself before my parents. and not raise my voice against them..but i dunno why?..i just fall into this trap..that is set by my enemy!!!.

Awww.......bless your heart for caring :hug: That is so special that you have a tender heart towards the Lord and desire to do right.

When we speak harshly or angrily to another, it is because we have been harboring unkind thoughts in our hearts toward them. So the key is to ask the Lord to give you His kind, sweet thoughts about them, for, ~out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh~

You might want to ask Him to help you to see your parents as He sees them. He always thinks the best of us, you know.... I would go to Him honestly and openly and share with Him the struggle you are having (even tho He already knows) and then ask Him why you are struggling and ask Him to reveal to you any unkind thoughts you might be having towards them.

Also, if you start praying good things for them, things you would want people to pray for you, any bitterness or harsh feelings will start to go away :) and your heart will begin to be soft toward them just like the Lord's. :hug: :kiss: :hug:

keep the faith
Dec 15th 2008, 07:26 AM
oh!!!!....thank you soo much:hug:..thats so sweet of you....i feel beter after reading your msg:pp...i 'll try to do as you advised.:)...and you know wat Lord has really blessed me in giving the best Dad and Mom...its just sometimes i get so..irritated and raise my voice against them!!!!..though i know its wrong.

MercyChild
Dec 15th 2008, 12:17 PM
O wow, this was a mouth full of information. Love certainly is the most powerfull. People like yourself have been witnessing about love in my life...........So thank you so much for sharing this message and being a example of how we should love one another, as God wants us to.:hug::hug:

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 15th 2008, 11:28 PM
oh!!!!....thank you soo much:hug:..thats so sweet of you....i feel beter after reading your msg:pp...i 'll try to do as you advised.:)...and you know wat Lord has really blessed me in giving the best Dad and Mom...its just sometimes i get so..irritated and raise my voice against them!!!!..though i know its wrong.

That is what is called "being sanded" :rofl:In other words it is part of the way the Lord uses to cause us to be conformed to the image of Christ, which is God's ultimate goal for us..:kiss:

Please don't feel alone, dear heart! :hug: We've all been there and, we all continue to be there during our Christian journey.

I'm so proud of you for trying :hug::kiss::hug: Always remember....Jesus is soooo very patient with us!

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 15th 2008, 11:40 PM
O wow, this was a mouth full of information. Love certainly is the most powerfull. People like yourself have been witnessing about love in my life...........So thank you so much for sharing this message and being a example of how we should love one another, as God wants us to.:hug::hug:

Why, I thank you, my dearest! I used to make learning to love and becoming conformed to the image of Christ the central focus of my Christian journey.

Then, I got away from it and I lost much of my sweetness :cry: or, I should say, His sweetness after being abused for so many years.

But God is bringing me back to this most important focus. Because the life of LOVE, His love for us, in us and flowing out back to Him and others is the only life that will matter in the end. Here are some of the most important verses in the Bible...

~Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails~
1Corinthians 13: 1-8a

Lee-Roy
Dec 18th 2008, 04:46 PM
Very pretty. Thanks for posting.

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 18th 2008, 06:52 PM
Very pretty. Thanks for posting.

Thank you, dearly :hug:

I have been meaning to post more but the business of life has me swept away lately

Welcome to the forums :hug: :)

dozie
Dec 18th 2008, 07:16 PM
love of Christ towards makind is unspeakable

WaitingforHim
Dec 18th 2008, 11:54 PM
Thank you for sharing this devotion.

I am deeply convicted of my lack of love and praying that the Lord will restore me to my first love.. for Him above all and then for the brethren.

Like everyone, the hurts of this life have inflicted much pain. And rather than stay vulnerable and loving, I confess that I have withdrawn in fear.

Lord.. please help us to love in the power of your Holy Spirit.. not out of our weak flesh which will always prefer anger and/or self protection.

WaitingforHim:bible:

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 19th 2008, 12:45 AM
Like everyone, the hurts of this life have inflicted much pain. And rather than stay vulnerable and loving, I confess that I have withdrawn in

WaitingforHim:bible:

Oh, precious soul... How I understand :cry: Not your exact circumstances, of course, but not wanting to endure more pain.....

I wonder if you might be blessed by the Spurgeon devotion I just posted? I pray it might be so....

proberts1986
Dec 21st 2008, 04:34 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing that post. A lot of what you said really hit home.

angelwind
Dec 21st 2008, 07:33 PM
I just came through a struggling sort of week...with my particular circumstances...and had just decided this morning..."again"...the only way to live is to keep on loving...loving God and loving people...this post was a sure support that I was on the right track. :)

ConqueredbyLove
Dec 22nd 2008, 04:50 AM
Thank you, PRoberts and Angelwind :hug: