PDA

View Full Version : How to Understand spiritual gifts...

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 01:04 AM
:cry:Help! I am in desperate need to understand my spiritual gifts. Today was an intresting day for me but Praise God he worked it all out in the end! I just want to know is there a place in the bible where we can read to understand spiritual gifts. Also books on spiritual gifts ANYTHING to help me understand what I am going thru.

Slug1
Dec 7th 2008, 01:07 AM
Well, when my spiritual gift basically activated I didn't need any other help or books to explain anything... the Holy Spirit was in control, I just went with it ;)

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 01:14 AM
Well, when my spiritual gift basically activated I didn't need any other help or books to explain anything... the Holy Spirit was in control, I just went with it ;)

Yes I do that when the Holy Ghost takes over there is no other choice but to go with it..lol I just want to understand some of the other things that go along with it. Like the uncontrollable crying..... and the physical sickness I feel. Also why it feels like people dislike it when the Holy Ghost is moving.... The bible says not to quench the spirit so I dont understand why people always quench it.

Lamplighter
Dec 7th 2008, 06:38 AM
Yes I do that when the Holy Ghost takes over there is no other choice but to go with it..lol I just want to understand some of the other things that go along with it. Like the uncontrollable crying..... and the physical sickness I feel. Also why it feels like people dislike it when the Holy Ghost is moving.... The bible says not to quench the spirit so I dont understand why people always quench it.

The gifts of the Holy Ghost have nothing to do with emotionalism.
When you cry in Church, it has nothing to do with the moving of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not make us cry, and scripture confirms this.

Show me in scripture where the Holy Spirit was moving, and Christian people were losing control of their emotions and bodily functions, or acting in disorder?

1 Cor 14:33- For God is not [the author] of confusion(akatastasia), but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. akatastasia(ἀκαταστασία)- instability, a state of disorder, disturbance, confusion.

I would recommend you get out of the Charismatic Movement.

God bless.:hug:

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 05:01 PM
The gifts of the Holy Ghost have nothing to do with emotionalism.
When you cry in Church, it has nothing to do with the moving of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not make us cry, and scripture confirms this.

Show me in scripture where the Holy Spirit was moving, and Christian people were losing control of their emotions and bodily functions, or acting in disorder?

1 Cor 14:33- For God is not [the author] of confusion(akatastasia), but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. akatastasia(ἀκαταστασία)- instability, a state of disorder, disturbance, confusion.

I would recommend you get out of the Charismatic Movement.

God bless.:hug:

I am not confused, nor was I disorderly, or disturbing anyone. All confirmed from the youth Minister. I have had this happen to me serveral times.. before I ever even went to this church. Maybe I did not present my question clear enough. Still not answering my question either. So I am just going to assume no one knows the answer to my question.

Sirus
Dec 7th 2008, 07:03 PM
Your question isn't exactly clear to me. What exactly is the gift/s when you experience "uncontrollable crying..... and the physical sickness I feel"???

If by "uncontrollable crying" you mean overwhelmed along with intercessory prayer fine, but if you mean you absolutely cannot stop for your life then I would have serious doubts.

As for "the physical sickness I feel", what do you mean? At the time of the gift/s or does it continue afterward? Again, what gift/s? To be honest I already see a red flag on this one.

We have to base every aspect of our experience with God on the Bible. I can't think of any examples of "uncontrollable crying..... and the physical sickness I feel" in scripture. I said what I did above about intercessory prayer based on people I personally know to be Christian without a doubt and I myself am overwhelmed at times and moan and groan with tears. Sometimes in thankfulness of all Christ is and has done for me and sometimes for someone I see or met on the street.

So I guess the first step would be to define the gift, verify it is in fact scriptural, then see what all scripture says about it. Saying you have 'a gift' or 'gifts' and experience a and b isn't enough info to begin to look into to 'what Scripture says'.

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 07:22 PM
So I guess the first step would be to define the gift

Which is why I am asking for scripture or a book that can help me understand spiritual gifts. From what I have read the bible dosent go into great detail about spiritual gifts. So is there a book on the market that is recommended... or a website. ANYTHING??

Sirus
Dec 7th 2008, 07:34 PM
I don't read that kind of extra biblical stuff. What I have read or seen and heard people mention, or have had my wife read to me, is so far from Christ I don't even consider it. I wouldn't agree anyway. Theological works is all I consume.

Someone else may be able to suggest something but at a time when you are searching for answers I wouldn't look anywhere else but the carpet (maybe a fast?) and the Bible. God is not in a hurry. Take it slow and sure. That's my advice.

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 07:46 PM
I don't read that kind of extra biblical stuff. What I have read or seen and heard people mention, or have had my wife read to me, is so far from Christ I don't even consider it. I wouldn't agree anyway. Theological works is all I consume.

Someone else may be able to suggest something but at a time when you are searching for answers I wouldn't look anywhere else but the carpet (maybe a fast?) and the Bible. God is not in a hurry. Take it slow and sure. That's my advice.

You and I are on the same page I am going to fast and pray about this...my mom said she believes God gave me the gift of Godly sorrow.

What I was explaining above about the uncontrollable crying and physical sickness is. When I see things go on in the house of God such as a drunk person allowed to speak random facts that have nothing to do with God, this same person was allowed to curse in the congegation. Just things that shouldnt be allowed in Gods service....it bothers me deeply. Sometimes it bothers me so much all I can do is cry and pray. Like those kind of things bother me way more than they should....or even sometimes when people dont praising God with there whole heart and the service is dragging....I get extremly upset and I have to seperate myself and pray and the tears just start flowing. Its like things that I should be able to ignore I cant, I pray and pray for God to allow me to ignore them but I just cant. I just cry and have to immediately pray. I can control the crying after I have prayed but before then I cant. Or sometimes when things go on in the service the shouldnt be...its like I can feel my stomach turning or when there are odd spirits in the church my stomach turns. I also cry when I read the bible at random times. Its just things like that. I never have been disorderly or caused confusion so I know it is from God.

The shaking is when the Holy Ghost is moving or working.

This is the best I can explain it....I hope it kinda makes sense.

Beloved by God
Dec 7th 2008, 08:50 PM
It is natural to have tears come to your eyes when you feel the Holy Spirit moving, but to sob and gasp for breath is not the Holy Ghost. "Godly Sorrow" isn't a gift that I know of. Talk to the elders in your church, and make a special time to come in one night to talk to your preacher if you keep having problems. Read 1st Corinthians

Gifts of the spirit 1 Corinthians Chapter 12 (4-11)

Here is a place you can to go take a test, and it will list the spiritual gifts that are the strongest in you. You should always look to the Bible first, and compare every thing you read to the Bible; but it does not hurt to read books, by well known Christian authors, if there is a certain subject you are needing help on.

http://www.kodachrome.org/spiritgift/

JesusReignsForever
Dec 7th 2008, 10:02 PM
I didnt say anything about gasping for breath...and isnt sobbing the same thing as crying?

Beloved by God
Dec 8th 2008, 12:16 AM
I was just trying to make a point. Did you read the rest of my post??

There is a difference between a few tears falling down your face--> crying and sobbing--> where you have to breathe deeply and you are moaning outloud. It is ok to feel sorrow for the shape the world is in, and to feel bad that so many people are not right with God. But to weep every time you go to church, or to weep more than 3 times a week is not normal and not the Holy Ghost. God gives us joy.
Have you read 1 Corinthians Ch. 12? It has a list of gifts, and that link I posted lists the sames gifts plus a few more. It is the best test I have found so far, and I think it is accurate.

JesusReignsForever
Dec 8th 2008, 12:20 AM
I was just trying to make a point. Did you read the rest of my post??

There is a difference between a few tears falling down your face--> crying and sobbing--> where you have to breathe deeply and you are moaning outloud. It is ok to feel sorrow for the shape the world is in, and to feel bad that so many people are not right with God. But to weep every time you go to church, or to weep more than 3 times a week is not normal and not the Holy Ghost. God gives us joy.
Have you read 1 Corinthians Ch. 12? It has a list of gifts, and that link I posted lists the sames gifts plus a few more. It is the best test I have found so far, and I think it is accurate.

Yeap I read your whole post both of them and thanks for your input

Beloved by God
Dec 8th 2008, 12:23 AM
So are you going to take the test?

JesusReignsForever
Dec 8th 2008, 01:41 AM
So are you going to take the test?

Still working on it...it is soooooo long! :)

JesusReignsForever
Dec 8th 2008, 02:46 AM
Ok I did the spiritual gift assesment...and it didnt tell me anything I didnt know..still didnt answer my questions...but okay.

Thanks though! :)

Vhayes
Dec 8th 2008, 04:44 AM
JRF, here is the scripture dealing with the various gifts. Is this what you are asking (what are the gifts)? Or are you asking something else?

I Corinthians 12

4-Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5-And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.
6-There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
7-But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
8-For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
9-to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
10-and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11-But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

I read where you said you had uncontrolable crying and were physically ill. Neither of those sound like the Holy Spirit - to feel Him move in a mighty way can indeed may one cry in amazed wonder and awe, but I don't think the Holy Spirit would make us physically ill. I guess I'm confused by what you have said, or maybe I have read it wrong?

V

Veretax
Dec 8th 2008, 02:25 PM
I recall once at a Christian Camp, breaking down in tears, but it wasn't that the Holy Spirit was making me cry. (I had not fully grieved the loss of my grandfather some 6 months earlier and one particular song really tugged at my heart strings, I had thought it was just that song, but I eventually realized that it was God trying to get my attention) He was bringing certain things to my mind , to give me a sense of urgency about that which he wanted me to do. I came to the realization, that he was specifically moving me to go home and witness to my youngest brother. I've never felt such an effectual calling before in my life, but the next weekend I went home, witnessed to him, and Praise the Lord he accepted Christ that night. If that's not a powerful testimony I don't know what is.

So no I don't think God 'makes us cry', but he can use our current mental and emotional state, or anything around us to grab our attention so that for but a moment we will be silent enough to hear his inner voice conferring upon us that which he is calling us to do.

Beloved by God
Dec 9th 2008, 02:55 AM
Well I am glad you took the test, I know its long! :)
Read the scripture posted up above and pray to God about it. Ask him to give you plain instructions and a plain path. We are told we can pray for a plain path in Psalms.
Keep going to church and things will get clearer.

Lamplighter
Dec 9th 2008, 04:21 AM
Keep going to church and things will get clearer.

I am very pro-church, but most I have been a member of(Southern Baptist, Assembly Of God, and non-denominational) have no clue about the spiritual gifts in biblical context. They think they know, but their man made doctrines get in the way.:cry:

Moxie
Dec 9th 2008, 04:46 AM
my mom said she believes God gave me the gift of Godly sorrow.

Hey all, Just curious.... where is the gift of Godly sorrow found it the Bible?

Lamplighter
Dec 9th 2008, 07:27 AM
Hey all, Just curious.... where is the gift of Godly sorrow found it the Bible?

There is no such thing in scripture.

But I think God gave me the gift of bored and yawning in Church.:D

Esperanza32
Dec 9th 2008, 12:52 PM
Besides the I Corinthians passage already mentioned, there's a complementary list of spiritual gifts in Romans 12:6-8. Gifts listed here include prophesy, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leadership, and mercy. All are given to build up the body of Christ, the church.

JesusReignsForever
Dec 9th 2008, 07:56 PM
There is no such thing in scripture.

But I think God gave me the gift of bored and yawning in Church.:D

Actually Godly Sorrow is in the bible...I made a new thread about it because I dont understand.

Lamplighter
Dec 9th 2008, 10:10 PM
Actually Godly Sorrow is in the bible...I made a new thread about it because I dont understand.

Of course it is, but it has nothing to do with any spiritual gifts. It has to do with repentance.