PDA

View Full Version : Godly Sorrow.....2 Corinthians 7:9-11

JesusReignsForever
Dec 9th 2008, 06:45 PM
9Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

11For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

So after all there is a such thing as Godly Sorrow...:pp praise God I found it..randomly at that. I just need a little more clarification on this whom is talking and who or what group is he talking to? I did read the whole chapter 7. A lil confused though.

Lamplighter
Dec 9th 2008, 08:26 PM
It's not a spiritual gift though.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Godly sorrow leads to repentance and salvation. It has nothing to do with spiritual gifts.

Mysteryman
Dec 9th 2008, 09:00 PM
9Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

11For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

So after all there is a such thing as Godly Sorrow...:pp praise God I found it..randomly at that. I just need a little more clarification on this whom is talking and who or what group is he talking to? I did read the whole chapter 7. A lil confused though.

There is such a thing as "Godly jealousy" as well - > II Corinth. 11:2

Friend of I AM
Dec 9th 2008, 10:26 PM
It's not a spiritual gift though.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Godly sorrow leads to repentance and salvation. It has nothing to do with spiritual gifts.

It could be..think gift of mercy. Mercy brings sorrow and compassion, and repentance along with it. I think God has given all men this gift, unfortunately many of us choose the opposite of it so often within this walk.

Lamplighter
Dec 9th 2008, 10:44 PM
The gift of mercy in Romans 12:8

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy(ἐλεέω), with cheerfulness.

Greek- ἐλεέω(mercy)
eleeō- mercy

1) to have mercy on
2) to help one afflicted or seeking aid
3) to help the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched
4) to experience mercy

No crying here.;)

scourge39
Dec 9th 2008, 10:50 PM
'Godly sorrow' means sorrow according to God's will that brings about genuine change in one's lifestyle and behavior. Its result is always true repentance.

Lamplighter
Dec 10th 2008, 03:58 AM
'Godly sorrow' means sorrow according to God's will that brings about genuine change in one's lifestyle and behavior. Its result is always true repentance.

I already provided this same answer with scripture(2 Cor 7:10), but it wasn't good enough I'm afraid.

Friend of I AM
Dec 10th 2008, 04:59 PM
The gift of mercy in Romans 12:8

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy(ἐλεέω), with cheerfulness.

Greek- ἐλεέω(mercy)
eleeō- mercy

1) to have mercy on
2) to help one afflicted or seeking aid
3) to help the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched
4) to experience mercy

No crying here.;)

So you think men don't give mercy based on their compassion and sorrow for others(and their situations)? I imagine God had sorrow on mankind..Godly sorrow..which brought about him deciding to have mercy on them. Ideally, Godly sorrow working through us should also bring about these same merciful qualities within us regarding our fellow man.

Lamplighter
Dec 10th 2008, 07:53 PM
So you think men don't give mercy based on their compassion and sorrow for others(and their situations)? I imagine God had sorrow on mankind..Godly sorrow..which brought about him deciding to have mercy on them. Ideally, Godly sorrow working through us should also bring about these same merciful qualities within us regarding our fellow man.

Doesn't matter what I think, or anybody else thinks, scripture does not link the two together at all, as I proved with the Greek manuscript language.

Scripture always trumps man's opinion.

Friend of I AM
Dec 10th 2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by JesusReignsForever

Hey sorry I didn't answer you directly. Here's the entire passage.

2 Corinthians 7:2-16
Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.

For when we came into Macedonia, this body of ours had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.

Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter. So even though I wrote to you, it was not on account of the one who did the wrong or of the injured party, but rather that before God you could see for yourselves how devoted to us you are. By all this we are encouraged. In addition to our own encouragement, we were especially delighted to see how happy Titus was, because his spirit has been refreshed by all of you. I had boasted to him about you, and you have not embarrassed me. But just as everything we said to you was true, so our boasting about you to Titus has proved to be true as well. And his affection for you is all the greater when he remembers that you were all obedient, receiving him with fear and trembling. I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.

In the verses above Paul is speaking of the sending of his letters to the Corinthians..after a report from one of his fellow workers - Titus. He adresses certain practices of the Corinthians in the book of Titus which he is displeased with from Titus's report. Titus's report was meant as a rebuke to the people of Corinth. Upon receiving the letter...it brought about Godly sorrow in the Church of Corinth..rather than anger and regret over the rebuke...and they continued to try and change their ways while at the same time showing compassion and mercy on Paul and the disciples that accompanied them.

You are definitely correct about Godly sorrow being a gift. Only through Godly sorrow are we able to demonstrate mercy on those around us. Slow to take offense, to judge..and quick to correct whatever actions we've commited that may have offended others. Good work with understanding the first part of this passage Jesusreignsforever!

R GU R
Dec 11th 2008, 12:26 AM
You are definitely correct about Godly sorrow being a gift. Only through Godly sorrow are we able to demonstrate mercy on those around us. Slow to take offense, to judge..and quick to correct whatever actions we've commited that may have offended others. Good work with understanding the first part of this passage Jesusreignsforever!

Where does it say it's a spiritual gift in scripture?:confused

I didn't see it in those passages of scripture?

Just_Another_Guy
Dec 11th 2008, 03:51 PM
Where does it say it's a spiritual gift in scripture?:confused

I didn't see it in those passages of scripture?

I don't think many of the spiritual gifts often mentioned as being gifts in churches today are referenced in scripture. Mercy is brought on by one having sorrow and compassion for others. Here's the dictionary definition of mercy.

Mercy
compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: Have mercy on the poor sinner.

Here are some verses demonstrating the Godly sorrow generally found with those who have the gift of mercy.

Luke 7:12-15 As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry." Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.

Luke 10:30-37 In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.' "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

matthew7and1
Dec 11th 2008, 04:46 PM
j.r.f.
you come up with great posts! i tried to send you a visitor message but it wouldn't let me....